Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,153,009 members, 7,817,976 topics. Date: Sunday, 05 May 2024 at 12:57 AM

Changing Transmission Fluid On 2013 Honda Accord - Car Talk - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Car Talk / Changing Transmission Fluid On 2013 Honda Accord (2866 Views)

Please What’s Your Opinion On 2013-2015 Honda Accord Exl-v6 Or Touring V6 / Fluid Specs Q & A Thread / Toyota Ws Transmission Fluid From Usa (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

Changing Transmission Fluid On 2013 Honda Accord by tsiriman(m): 12:04am On Jan 13, 2018
I got a 2013 honda accord some months ago. Nice car, i thought it drives ok but it has this shift hesitation sometimes's on low rpm but I thought it was normal because it was CVT and I've never driven a CVT before this car. I heard with CVTs you don't feel the gears changing but with this car I could sometimes slightly feel the gear change at low rpm, just a slight feeling.

I did little research and discovered that the slight hesitation and vibration at low rpm is not normal and happens to some people and they solved it with a CVT fluid drain and refill.

So i decided to buy 4quarts of Honda 08200-HCF2 Fluid which is the recommended CVT fluid. I watched how the change is done on YouTube and then headed to a filling station. I practically walked them through the fluid drain and refill just like I had seen on YouTube, I refused any suggestion or advice from them, I just instructed them to do as I tell them if they don't want to spoil my gear. I even refused to use their funnel to put in the new fluid as I didn't want contamination so I bought a new funnel.
They drained the fluid, removed the old washer from the drain bolt and used the new washer i bought, then filled the car with the new fluid. We put in almost 4 quarts then started the car shifted through the gears as specified in the manual. After that opened the check bolt so as to gauge fluid. When the fluid gauged and started dripping from the check bolt hole as expected of guaged, they tightened and cleaned up everywhere.
But I had to tell them every step just like I had seen in several YouTube videos, these guys go mess your car up if you no dey careful o, I was in the pit with the 2 of them most of the time.
Most people who did it on YouTube just jacked the car up but I went to a filling station so as to access the drain bolt on level ground. The reason I didn't do a DIY all by myself was Because I didn't have a pit and I didn't want tho use a jack.

After the change I drove the car and It drove like a dream, no low rpm vibrations, no hesitation, the best part is that it now drives like a real CVT as you don't feel the gears changing. The car is super smooth now.
Its just incredible how a CVT fluid change could bring a huge change in the way a car drives.
I will recommend people who have 2013-2017 accords or civics to change the fluid atleast every 20k to 30k miles, you'll be glad.

The most important part is don't leave the job to the mechies alone as they will mess up your car. Very important.

5 Likes

Re: Changing Transmission Fluid On 2013 Honda Accord by king406(m): 5:54am On Jan 13, 2018
Nice job and good advice.
Re: Changing Transmission Fluid On 2013 Honda Accord by tsiriman(m): 12:32pm On Jan 22, 2023
Got the facelifted 1 owner accident free CVT 2017 accord in 2020, changed the CVT transmission fluid as soon as the car was delivered from the states, changed the fluid again after 2 years with additional 16k miles on the car, the transmission drives like new, no judder, no slip, no nothing from day 1 till now.

3 Likes

Re: Changing Transmission Fluid On 2013 Honda Accord by idmoore(m): 9:55pm On Jan 31, 2023
tsiriman:
I got a 2013 honda accord some months ago. Nice car, i thought it drives ok but it has this shift hesitation sometimes's on low rpm but I thought it was normal because it was CVT and I've never driven a CVT before this car. I heard with CVTs you don't feel the gears changing but with this car I could sometimes slightly feel the gear change at low rpm, just a slight feeling.

I did little research and discovered that the slight hesitation and vibration at low rpm is not normal and happens to some people and they solved it with a CVT fluid drain and refill.

So i decided to buy 4quarts of Honda 08200-HCF2 Fluid which is the recommended CVT fluid. I watched how the change is done on YouTube and then headed to a filling station. I practically walked them through the fluid drain and refill just like I had seen on YouTube, I refused any suggestion or advice from them, I just instructed them to do as I tell them if they don't want to spoil my gear. I even refused to use their funnel to put in the new fluid as I didn't want contamination so I bought a new funnel.
They drained the fluid, removed the old washer from the drain bolt and used the new washer i bought, then filled the car with the new fluid. We put in almost 4 quarts then started the car shifted through the gears as specified in the manual. After that opened the check bolt so as to gauge fluid. When the fluid gauged and started dripping from the check bolt hole as expected of guaged, they tightened and cleaned up everywhere.
But I had to tell them every step just like I had seen in several YouTube videos, these guys go mess your car up if you no dey careful o, I was in the pit with the 2 of them most of the time.
Most people who did it on YouTube just jacked the car up but I went to a filling station so as to access the drain bolt on level ground. The reason I didn't do a DIY all by myself was Because I didn't have a pit and I didn't want tho use a jack.

After the change I drove the car and It drove like a dream, no low rpm vibrations, no hesitation, the best part is that it now drives like a real CVT as you don't feel the gears changing. The car is super smooth now.
Its just incredible how a CVT fluid change could bring a huge change in the way a car drives.
I will recommend people who have 2013-2017 accords or civics to change the fluid atleast every 20k to 30k miles, you'll be glad.

The most important part is don't leave the job to the mechies alone as they will mess up your car. Very important.

Nice update man.
Thanks.

Do you still use the car, tell now.
Re: Changing Transmission Fluid On 2013 Honda Accord by tsiriman(m): 10:09pm On Jan 31, 2023
idmoore:

Nice update man.
Thanks.

Do you still use the car, tell now.

The 2013 accord is no more. The car was damaged in an accident beyond repairs in 2019, that's why I got the facelifted 2017, basically same car with additional bells and whistles.

6 Likes

Re: Changing Transmission Fluid On 2013 Honda Accord by idmoore(m): 12:01am On Feb 20, 2023
Thanks for your response.

Apologies, about the accident and Thank God, you came out alive.

That Accord generation is just such a sweet ride.

Congratulations again.
Re: Changing Transmission Fluid On 2013 Honda Accord by aAK1(m): 12:38am On Feb 20, 2023
idmoore:

Congratulations again.

I’ll avoid the cvt variant all together
Re: Changing Transmission Fluid On 2013 Honda Accord by tsiriman(m): 7:08pm On Feb 20, 2023
aAK1:
I’ll avoid the cvt variant all together

Then you'll have to go for the V6 as the 4 cylinder comes in only CVT.
Re: Changing Transmission Fluid On 2013 Honda Accord by Timblogga: 4:15pm On Mar 20, 2023
tsiriman:

Then you'll have to go for the V6 as the 4 cylinder comes in only CVT.
please is the 2013 v6 very reliable?
Re: Changing Transmission Fluid On 2013 Honda Accord by Timblogga: 4:17pm On Mar 20, 2023
idmoore:

Congratulations again.

you drive one? Hope the 2013 v6 is not problematic?

1 Like

Re: Changing Transmission Fluid On 2013 Honda Accord by tsiriman(m): 11:00pm On Mar 20, 2023
Timblogga:

Is reliable I hear, just make sure to change your timing belt at the recommended interval.

1 Like

Re: Changing Transmission Fluid On 2013 Honda Accord by Conner44: 11:06am On Mar 21, 2023
Timblogga:

It’s extremely reliable. If you see a good unit go for it
Re: Changing Transmission Fluid On 2013 Honda Accord by GreekDon: 11:24am On Mar 21, 2023
Conner44:

It’s extremely reliable. If you see a good unit go for it

Isn't this same 3.5L V6 engine on the eight generation accords? The J35Z2 engine. Any changes?
Re: Changing Transmission Fluid On 2013 Honda Accord by Conner44: 11:44am On Mar 21, 2023
GreekDon:

Isn't this same 3.5L V6 engine on the eight generation accords? The J35Z2 engine. Any changes?

What I know is a minor horsepower and torque increase and fuel mileage improvement because Hondas R&grin upgrade to this engine was finally a perfected VCM management system which didn’t cause the issue’s experienced in previous generations of the J series engines.
Re: Changing Transmission Fluid On 2013 Honda Accord by hardeydhoying(m): 6:06pm On Jun 06, 2023
tsiriman:

Good day sir.

Please have a some questions about this car, can I please reach you on WhatsApp 🙏❓ Thanks
Re: Changing Transmission Fluid On 2013 Honda Accord by hardeydhoying(m): 6:43am On Jun 07, 2023
Good morning tsiriman.

Please have a some questions about this car, can I please reach you on WhatsApp 🙏❓ It's urgent 🙏 Thanks

(1) (Reply)

I Am A Clearing And Forwarding Agent And A Car Dealer / I Just Upraded My Cab Business (please Review) / Bluetooth Car Scanner: Scan ANY Car With Phone (5K ONLY, Works With All Cars)

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 39
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.