Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,154,136 members, 7,821,879 topics. Date: Wednesday, 08 May 2024 at 08:51 PM

African Traditional Religion Thread. - Religion (2) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Religion / African Traditional Religion Thread. (1944 Views)

NL Traditional Religion Thread / Images From Igbo Traditional Religion (Odinani) / Nairaland Such A Big Church On Sunday,see Folks Viewing Religion Thread (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: African Traditional Religion Thread. by vaxx: 9:53pm On Jan 14, 2018
dalaman:
African traditional religions need to be reformed, but unfortunately it has few adherents that are contemporary and educated. Most priest are illiterates that reside in remote villages.
hummm, this is true ....but yoruba tradition is getting strong in diaspora .....USA and Germany.... Spearhead by well educated mind...wole Soyinka is one.....though we may not be strong like the common religion but we are getting there ......trust me.
Re: African Traditional Religion Thread. by urahara(m): 10:04pm On Jan 14, 2018
johnydon22:
Personal God

Chi means God in Igbo linguistics that is why the supreme God in Igbo pentheon is called Chukwu, a lingual sum of the word "Chi" and "Ukwu"

But on this note "Chi" is just God and it is personal. Peculiar to every individual. Everyone have their own Chi and your Chi determines your fate. Nothing happens or will happen without your Chi's approval and therefore you must at all times be in good terms with your chi because your Chi is like a spiritual essence that defines you.

The spiritual essence that defines your fate and life.

God of power, war, strength and wealth. Functions as an Alusi but also can be made a personal patron.

According to Igbo cosmogony. Everyone alive already has a Chi. So basically your Chi is there already you only need to make a connection with your Chi.

Doesn't necessarily have to include a physical shrine for your personal God but that helps amplifies the powers of your chi in this natural world.

How could people leave such a beautiful religion to worship a zombie
Re: African Traditional Religion Thread. by johnydon22(m): 12:09am On Jan 15, 2018
correctguy101:

I said it before. The pagans are United in belief. A personal chi, a personal Ori..... all same but different terms cos of language.

And the rest rhymes. Alusi and Orisas et all.

I read somewhere that"pagans" once meant "real dwellers" or "people of the land".

This forced maturity is hurting Africa abeg.... undecided

Where's Folykaze when you need him?

IFA and AFA

I think more like a connection between Igbo and Yoruba in antiquity... We share same root at a very ancient beginning
Re: African Traditional Religion Thread. by johnydon22(m): 12:10am On Jan 15, 2018
urahara:

Our ancestors were intimidated into alien religions, their offsprings are just ignorant
Re: African Traditional Religion Thread. by vaxx: 7:16am On Jan 15, 2018
urahara:

The reason was very pathetic. Christanity and islam were sholved down the belly of our forefathers...christanity was introduce to africa through a combination of gun, education and old fashion pride.....we do not just lost the beautiful religion, we also neglect our culture, norms and value . in a nut shell, the story goes thus

The first thread of Christian convertee were the free slaves who came along with Christian missionary

The second thread were the second class citizens of the society (OSU in Igbo language or the very poor family)who converted massively to Christianity just to cover their shame...

Why the last thread was the establishment of a centralized education....

Africans were not lliterate as the west may made you to think.. Though we may not have centralized system like that of the west, but we are actually not dumbed..... The west found a balance system of governance and administration in Yoruba land when they came ......we have our house of parliament which are the oloyes , we have judicial system which are the ogbonis.....this judicial system check and balance the power of oba(the president) and so on....
Re: African Traditional Religion Thread. by tjmc: 8:13am On Jan 15, 2018
Was born and bred in lagos. But I love the way Yorubas still cling to their traditional belief despite being members of various religious sect.
I wish there could be a kind of gathering for traditionalist

correctguy101:

Exactly...

I'm from Delta State but I know about Yoruba traditional beliefs more than that of where I'm from. Was born in the Yoruba land.

But I'm very greedy. I want to know what they all talk about, not just one. I believe it's all nature worship and I'm okay with any nature worshipper, ( if u've met as much nature worshippers that I have met, you would feel same)..

And don't mind all those Nollywood nonsense. Na ignorance plus mumu dey worry them.
Re: African Traditional Religion Thread. by swegiedon(m): 9:36am On Jan 15, 2018
johnydon22.please give us an elaborate break down of igbo beliefs
Re: African Traditional Religion Thread. by swegiedon(m): 10:58am On Jan 15, 2018
johnydon22:
Personal God

Chi means God in Igbo linguistics that is why the supreme God in Igbo pentheon is called Chukwu, a lingual sum of the word "Chi" and "Ukwu"

But on this note "Chi" is just God and it is personal. Peculiar to every individual. Everyone have their own Chi and your Chi determines your fate. Nothing happens or will happen without your Chi's approval and therefore you must at all times be in good terms with your chi because your Chi is like a spiritual essence that defines you.

The spiritual essence that defines your fate and life.

God of power, war, strength and wealth. Functions as an Alusi but also can be made a personal patron.

According to Igbo cosmogony. Everyone alive already has a Chi. So basically your Chi is there already you only need to make a connection with your Chi.

Doesn't necessarily have to include a physical shrine for your personal God but that helps amplifies the powers of your chi in this natural world.
i sent u pm
Re: African Traditional Religion Thread. by tjmc: 6:38pm On Jan 16, 2018
I'm. Currently in search foot a genuine traditionalist. If you know one please can u link me up
Re: African Traditional Religion Thread. by tjmc: 8:44pm On Jan 18, 2018
Better still whats the difference between ifa priest and babalawo
Re: African Traditional Religion Thread. by vaxx: 9:11pm On Jan 18, 2018
tjmc:
Better still whats the difference between ifa priest and babalawo
basically they are the same. Depending on choice of words either in English or Yoruba.both are applicable....

Babalawo or IFA priest is simply anyone who is part of a member of the group who understand and can interpret the binary code and the particle physics embedded in the Yoruba computational template called IFA(oracle).....to be fully called babalawo, the person must pass an oral examination that are usually conducted by 12 already made babalawo..... This is how it is done in the primitive days and it is done till date.....
Re: African Traditional Religion Thread. by DyingFetus: 5:35am On Aug 29, 2023
Are there any amulets or substances one can get for protection?

1 Like

Re: African Traditional Religion Thread. by MightySparrow: 8:53pm On Aug 31, 2023
johnydon22:

I like this thread.

I as a person leans well on the African traditional religion. I have always had the idea that us as Africans abandoning this religion to adopt foreign ones is stupid on our own part.

I am currently writing a story to bring African mythology to the modern world "Legends of Amadioha" and after this numerous seminars and talk shows will follow.

I am glad to be here and ready to answer questions of Igbo religion and spirituality

Have you practiced any of the traditional religions?
Re: African Traditional Religion Thread. by LikeAking: 1:29am On Sep 01, 2023
tjmc:
Let me start by sharing an experience by my brothers wife.

A cousin of hers was give poison to eat. He fell sick and was dying by the day. They took him to various prayer houses for solution but to no avail. The situation was getting worse. He was quickly transiting ton the world beyond.
When the news got home of the boy dying as a result of him eating poison here in lagos. The parents quickly ordered he be sent home for immediate solution.
He was taken back home to nsukka alumona to be precise.
Arrangement was made for him to be taken to Enugu ezike for possible solution. He was taken to the house of an atr practitioner.
After accessing the situation the atr practitioner said he would make him vomit the poison and then send it back to the person who poisoned him.
They agreed and within minutes the cousin vomited the poison and was totally restored.

She later told me that the atr practitioners in Enugu e ezike are very powerful in this regard.

I've opened the floor. You can share yours now especially those from Benue osun etc

Real power, not story, story…

Nice one
Re: African Traditional Religion Thread. by vaxx: 5:02pm On Sep 01, 2023
DyingFetus:
Are there any amulets or substances one can get for protection?
The only trusted amulets any day anytime is to run away from bullet . Do not let it hit you pls . He will run and fight another day is the most strongest.

(1) (2) (Reply)

Is There Another Life After This Life? True Life Story / Isreal Plans Banning Christianity / Her Job Encourages Her to Lie: Contrary to Her Religion

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 32
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.