Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,151,809 members, 7,813,667 topics. Date: Tuesday, 30 April 2024 at 03:56 PM

Throwback: How Buhari Led Arewa Team To Oyo State To Protest Herdsmen Deaths - Politics - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / Throwback: How Buhari Led Arewa Team To Oyo State To Protest Herdsmen Deaths (1895 Views)

Ogun communities protest herdsmen attacks / Aisha Buhari Reposts Video Of Ben Murray-Bruce Criticising Buhari-Led FG / Eat Chicken & Fish To Protest Herdsmen Massacres (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

Throwback: How Buhari Led Arewa Team To Oyo State To Protest Herdsmen Deaths by LRNZH(m): 8:06am On Jan 16, 2018
The general consensus is that the current administration of President Muhammadu Buhari has appeared lukewarm to the rampant reports of incessant herdsmen attacks and clashes in Benue, Taraba, Kaduna and Adamawa States amongst others.

Recently, elders from Benue State have gone to lay their grievances at Aso Rock with the President on herdsmen attacks.
It is interesting to note that Buhari had protested the alleged Killings of hersdmen in Ogun State back in the day before he ever won an election.

Read.... As narrated by Agbaakin Kehinde Olaosebikan (Former Oyo State Chief Press Secretary)

It was on 13 October 2000, when words went round that General Muhammadu Buhari was leading the Arewa team to the governor’s office to confront the state over alleged killings of Fulani cattle rearers in Saki, Oke Ogun Area of the state. Buhari did actually telephone the governor that he was leading a team to his office.

In less than 30 minutes after the general informed the governor of his visit, we noticed that the entire secretariat was already filled with lorry loads of our brothers from the North. This created some tension but we kept our calm. At about 2 p.m., Buhari arrived in a long convoy at the governor’s office in company of the former governor of Lagos State, General Buba Marwa, Alhaji Aliko Muhammed, Alhaji Abdulrazak and Alhaji Hassan. They all wore long faces. In fact, the anger in them was palpable as all pleasantries extended to them were ignored. “This is trouble” was the expression on the faces of all of us in the governor’s office.

Shortly afterwards, the state Director of State Security Service (SSS) and Commissioner of Police arrived.
But their presence did not change anything particular on the fears that had already gripped majority of us. The two security chiefs did not come with any operatives, they came almost alone.

The meeting was called to order after Lam walked into the Executive Chambers. Introductions over, Buhari spoke on their mission to the governor’s office. Emitting fire, the general accused Lam and the government of Oyo State of complicity in the killing of over 68 Fulani people in Oke Ogun area and perversion of justice.

His words: “Your Excellency, our visit here is to discuss with you and your government our displeasure about the incident of clashes between two peoples… the Fulani cattle rearers and merchants are today being harassed , attacked and killed like in Saki. In the month of May, 2000, 68 bodies of Fulani cattle rearers were recovered and buried under the supervision and protection from a team of Mobile Police from Oyo State Command.

“ That some arrests were made by Oyo State Police Command in the massacre with their immediate release without court trial. This was said to have been ordered by Oyo State authorities and they were so released to their amazement.
The release of the arrested suspects gave the clear impression that the authorities are backing and protecting them to continue the unjust and illegal killings of Fulani cattle rearers…”

According to the general, they therefore wanted immediate stoppage of the killings, justice and compensation to the Fulanis.

As weighty and indicting as Buhari’s allegations were, Lam remained unperturbed. He fired back with his own well coordinated arsenals.

Lam identified all the points raised by Buhari and simply asked the heads of the organizations directly involved to respond to the allegations.

First to speak was the Commissioner of Police who debunked all the claims. Instead of the allegation that the natives were killing Fulanis, the commissioner said pointedly that the opposite was the case.

“ The killing of the natives by the Fulanis was duly reported to the police and, of course, we can’t make arrest because, as soon as they kill, they migrate to other areas. Who are you going to arrest? That is the problem”.
On the killing of Fulanis, which he said was as result of “piled up anger”, the commissioner disclosed that arrests had been made and the suspects were in police custody.

Next was the Director of SSS, who equally debuked the allegations by Buhari. “The natives don’t have problem with the Fulanis who are resident but those who are coming in, they don’t care about anybody. They just go ahead and when they graze the natives farms, whoever cares to challenge them runs into trouble. You said 68 people were killed , and people driven away. I am not saying there were no killings but they cannot be more than five. The petition is on the harsh side, there is nothing like that.”

Not done yet, Lam called in his Deputy, Barrister Iyiola Oladokun; his SSG, Chief Michael Koleoso, both from Oke Ogun, and the chairman of one of the affected local government areas, Mr Ademola Alalade. They stated the true position of things, corroborating the submissions of the security chiefs. At this point, all the tensions and apprehensions evaporated.

Trust Lam any day, he must rub it in. He spoke for about 20 minutes and the generals were at the edge of their seats for the entire period. They were like chicken that had just been thoroughly beaten by the rain.

Lam said: “ Before I thank you for this visit, you have come to tell me something. I also want to tell you something and that something is to make an appeal. General Buhari has been a former Head of State, Brigadier Marwa has governed Lagos for some time and with credibility… so you are national leaders of this country. Even though, by accident of birth, you are from the North, you can be born anywhere; may be next time when I am coming to the world, I will be born in the North or the South-South.

“My appeal will be that effort must be made to unite this country and that will be ïn the best interest of all Nigerians. I am appealing to the Arewa Consultative Forum, under which auspices our distinguished Nigerians are here; in recent times, they have been sending wrong signals to a number of us who believe in the unity and peace of Nigeria; you have been too critical of the efforts of the Federal Government. I am saying this because Nigeria, at this point, cannot afford to break and the words you northern leaders utter are very weighty, at the South here, we normally analyze them critically”.

On all the allegations, he said: “From what they have written in the petition, this government is completely blameless because we don’t interfere either with the judiciary or with the police functions. I always preach peaceful co-existence in Oyo State and Nigeria as a whole. We are all Nigerians and that is what we have been preaching all along and we shall continue to be Nigerians , no matter the present or immediate problems which will be solved by the grace of Allah.

“I want to say also that we really have to appeal to our people, the itinerant Bororo people, that they should observe less aggression. It is not good , it is not right just coming from somewhere then you just pass through farm lands cultivated may be with the person’s life savings and then over night everything is gone. That is not right, even Allah does not approve of that.

We even wonder when they talk about this people carrying dangerous weapons, I say do they really believe in Allah? When you just take life like that and go away! Are we not forbidden not to take human life? So I think General Buhari, General Marwa, you have to be educating them… It is my pleasure to inform you that at the Presidential Lodge, we have made some arrangements for refreshments so that before you go we can refresh together”.

Buhari and his team did not wait for any refreshments. They came in angry and left bewildered.

Source: https://www.vanguardngr.com/2012/11/day-lam-adesina-clashed-with-buhari-marwa-others/
cc: Lalasticlala, Mynd44

4 Likes 1 Share

Re: Throwback: How Buhari Led Arewa Team To Oyo State To Protest Herdsmen Deaths by fSociety: 8:10am On Jan 16, 2018
Shameless zone-b

1 Like

Re: Throwback: How Buhari Led Arewa Team To Oyo State To Protest Herdsmen Deaths by Nobody: 8:12am On Jan 16, 2018
hmmmm...now we are in same situation with Fulani having a upper hand...May God save us all...God bless Nigeria

2 Likes

Re: Throwback: How Buhari Led Arewa Team To Oyo State To Protest Herdsmen Deaths by BeeBeeOoh(m): 8:12am On Jan 16, 2018
How we ended up with this Buhari is still the 387th wonders of the world embarassed

2 Likes

Re: Throwback: How Buhari Led Arewa Team To Oyo State To Protest Herdsmen Deaths by Nobody: 8:18am On Jan 16, 2018
BeeBeeOoh:
How we ended up with this Buhari is still the 387th wonders of the world embarassed
The sai barbarians will know.

Cc sarrki alariiwo, amarabae abdelrahman

1 Like

Re: Throwback: How Buhari Led Arewa Team To Oyo State To Protest Herdsmen Deaths by zionmde: 8:19am On Jan 16, 2018
very interesting. Come 2019 I must vote buhari some people think they have the monopoly of being wicked BUHARI must rule us. Cows must be given respect in this country.

2 Likes

Re: Throwback: How Buhari Led Arewa Team To Oyo State To Protest Herdsmen Deaths by Zendinho(m): 8:19am On Jan 16, 2018
In other news.... Just this morning the keke I entered jammed A Range Rover From Behind All Of Us, Including The Driver Ran Away
Re: Throwback: How Buhari Led Arewa Team To Oyo State To Protest Herdsmen Deaths by BeeBeeOoh(m): 8:27am On Jan 16, 2018
imhotep:

Cc sárrki alariiwó, amarabæ abdelráhman
I taya my brother embarassed

3 Likes 1 Share

Re: Throwback: How Buhari Led Arewa Team To Oyo State To Protest Herdsmen Deaths by magoo10(m): 8:30am On Jan 16, 2018
Buharis plan was islamization all along,gullible Nigerians fell for his trick

3 Likes

Re: Throwback: How Buhari Led Arewa Team To Oyo State To Protest Herdsmen Deaths by blazer2018: 8:30am On Jan 16, 2018
Zendinho:

In other news....
Just this morning the keke I entered jammed A
Range Rover From Behind
All Of Us, Including The Driver Ran Away

Why u run now, na u hit am? grin
Re: Throwback: How Buhari Led Arewa Team To Oyo State To Protest Herdsmen Deaths by Oluwasaeon(m): 8:30am On Jan 16, 2018
Zendinho:

In other news....
Just this morning the keke I entered jammed A
Range Rover From Behind
All Of Us, Including The Driver Ran Away
How many times you go talk am?

2 Likes

Re: Throwback: How Buhari Led Arewa Team To Oyo State To Protest Herdsmen Deaths by darksuit(m): 8:34am On Jan 16, 2018
Animal in human skin

1 Like

Re: Throwback: How Buhari Led Arewa Team To Oyo State To Protest Herdsmen Deaths by magoo10(m): 8:34am On Jan 16, 2018
Buhari is a symbol of Nigeria age long corrupt society

1 Like

Re: Throwback: How Buhari Led Arewa Team To Oyo State To Protest Herdsmen Deaths by Firefire(m): 8:36am On Jan 16, 2018
Buhary has been a bigot since time immemorial.

3 Likes

Re: Throwback: How Buhari Led Arewa Team To Oyo State To Protest Herdsmen Deaths by eaglejay13(m): 9:18am On Jan 16, 2018
zionmde:
very interesting.
Come 2019 I must vote buhari
some people think they have the monopoly of being wicked
BUHARI must rule us. Cows must be given respect in this country.

What's the use punishing yourself in order to punish others?

1 Like

Re: Throwback: How Buhari Led Arewa Team To Oyo State To Protest Herdsmen Deaths by LRNZH(m): 9:54am On Jan 16, 2018
eaglejay13:

What's the use punishing yourself in order to punish others?

Abi o...ask am again...

2 Likes

Re: Throwback: How Buhari Led Arewa Team To Oyo State To Protest Herdsmen Deaths by IdeyFindWife: 11:11am On Jan 16, 2018
imhotep:

Ah, those mofo gays supporting wetin dem nor know abi?

Dem go soon show to tell us how this one sef nor happen like that!

1 Like 1 Share

Re: Throwback: How Buhari Led Arewa Team To Oyo State To Protest Herdsmen Deaths by dustmalik: 12:43pm On Jan 16, 2018
One thing you guys must understand is that the Fulanis do not forget.
Re: Throwback: How Buhari Led Arewa Team To Oyo State To Protest Herdsmen Deaths by LRNZH(m): 1:37pm On Jan 16, 2018
dustmalik:
One thing you guys must understand is that the Fulanis do not forget.

Do not forget what? Them no dey offend anybody.
Meanwhile there's another attack in Taraba again...

Lalasticlala come o...

1 Like

Re: Throwback: How Buhari Led Arewa Team To Oyo State To Protest Herdsmen Deaths by PierreDeFermath(m): 2:12pm On Jan 16, 2018
Re: Throwback: How Buhari Led Arewa Team To Oyo State To Protest Herdsmen Deaths by Nobody: 8:56am On Feb 14, 2018
imhotep:
mechionu
Re: Throwback: How Buhari Led Arewa Team To Oyo State To Protest Herdsmen Deaths by Ngokafor(f): 9:08am On Feb 14, 2018
The same oyo people voted massively for him undecided..Acute case of shortt-sightedness and cluelessness at its peak undecided....True to character akin to what happened to afonja in Ilorin,the fulanis are poised to attack already via reports credited to miyetti allah who claimed some of their herdsmen were killed in the state..

..but ofcourse its a trivial issue...The most important thing for yorubas now is enacting language laws in Lagos hoping to disenfrachise Igbos.
Re: Throwback: How Buhari Led Arewa Team To Oyo State To Protest Herdsmen Deaths by Histrings08(m): 9:16am On Feb 14, 2018
I'm from oyo state precisely in Ibadan nd I heard this story, tz true..
Re: Throwback: How Buhari Led Arewa Team To Oyo State To Protest Herdsmen Deaths by Histrings08(m): 9:17am On Feb 14, 2018
...The most important thing for yorubas now is enacting language laws in Lagos hoping to disenfrachise Igbos.[/quote] everything is not about igbo abeg
Re: Throwback: How Buhari Led Arewa Team To Oyo State To Protest Herdsmen Deaths by ModsWillKillNL: 9:19am On Feb 14, 2018
Ngokafor:
The same oyo people voted massively for him undecided..Acute case of shortt-sightedness and cluelessness at its peak undecided....True to character akin to what happened to afonja in Ilorin,the fulanis are poised to attack already via reports credited to miyetti allah who claimed some of their herdsmen were killed in the state..

..but ofcourse its a trivial issue...The most important thing for yorubas now is enacting language laws in Lagos hoping to disenfrachise Igbos.

And they will be beaten again.

Even their leader has said they shouldn't carry out reprisals...
Re: Throwback: How Buhari Led Arewa Team To Oyo State To Protest Herdsmen Deaths by Nobody: 10:08am On Feb 14, 2018
abdelrahman:
mechionu
Are you denying your sai barbarianism now grin
Re: Throwback: How Buhari Led Arewa Team To Oyo State To Protest Herdsmen Deaths by Nobody: 10:23am On Feb 14, 2018
imhotep:
Are you denying your sai barbarianism now grin
mechionu
Re: Throwback: How Buhari Led Arewa Team To Oyo State To Protest Herdsmen Deaths by Nobody: 11:08am On Feb 14, 2018
abdelrahman:
mechionu
Sai mama grin

(1) (Reply)

Picture Showing Nigeria As A Shithole Country / Nnamdi Kanu To Expose Jubril w Forensic And DNA Evidence On Today Live Broadcast / See Photos Of Governor Okowa With Uduaghan And Ogboru As APC Flags Off Campaign

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 35
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.