Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,153,214 members, 7,818,725 topics. Date: Sunday, 05 May 2024 at 11:03 PM

How Good Was Sunday Oliseh? - Sports - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Entertainment / Sports / How Good Was Sunday Oliseh? (2732 Views)

Sunday Oliseh At Bayern Munich Stadium ( Allianz Arena) / Sunday Oliseh, Invites 23 Players For Tanzania Match / Sunday Oliseh Meets With Victor Moses In London.....photo (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (Reply) (Go Down)

How Good Was Sunday Oliseh? by Kgdavid(m): 11:34pm On Apr 13, 2010
How good was sundey oliseh? i have never really got to watch oliseh play. was he as good as essien is now?
Re: How Good Was Sunday Oliseh? by seun0622(m): 4:35pm On Apr 21, 2010
For all I know, When Oliseh was at his peak (From tunisia 94 - France 98) He was regarded as the best defensive midfielder in Africa and still rated the best defensive midfielder Nigeria ever produced.
Re: How Good Was Sunday Oliseh? by dominique(f): 12:02am On Apr 22, 2010
yeah, he was really good back then. my memories of U.S '94 are a bit hazy but i can vividly remember that fantastic goal he scored against Spain in France '98. it was voted one of the best goals in of the tourney.

[flash=400,400]
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=69Eu8HMrG94&hl=en[/flash]
Re: How Good Was Sunday Oliseh? by BloodShed1: 1:08am On Apr 22, 2010
dominique:

yeah, he was really good back then. my memories of U.S '94 are a bit hazy but i can vividly remember that fantastic goal he scored against Spain in France '98. it was voted one of the best goals in of the tourney.

[flash=400,400]

AH, I remember that.

Good times, good times.
Re: How Good Was Sunday Oliseh? by mamagee3(f): 1:10am On Apr 22, 2010
dominique:

[flash=400,400]

This Video reminds me of the good old days in Nigeria Football.
Re: How Good Was Sunday Oliseh? by dominique(f): 1:26am On Apr 22, 2010
mama-gee:

This Video reminds me of the good old days in Nigeria Football.

i wonder if we can still ever have those good old days cry
Re: How Good Was Sunday Oliseh? by mamagee3(f): 1:29am On Apr 22, 2010
^^I doubt it, I mean Nigerian Players back then are very determined and overcome all odds to make sure they are victorious unlike these days in which they play only for the money and the fun of it.
Re: How Good Was Sunday Oliseh? by abrahym(m): 6:00am On Apr 22, 2010
world class
Re: How Good Was Sunday Oliseh? by Kgdavid(m): 11:29am On Apr 22, 2010
hmmm the downfall of nigerian football is such a pity but there is hope yet.
Re: How Good Was Sunday Oliseh? by jerk: 5:36pm On Apr 22, 2010
Very good bak then.
Re: How Good Was Sunday Oliseh? by eldee(m): 6:35pm On Apr 22, 2010
mama-gee:

^^I doubt it, I mean Nigerian Players back then are[b] very determined and overcome all odds[/b] to make sure they are victorious unlike these days in which they play only for the money and the fun of it.

Hehehe . . . you mean the same team that got trashed 4-1 by Denmark?? grin grin
Re: How Good Was Sunday Oliseh? by dominique(f): 11:04pm On Apr 22, 2010
eldee:

at least they were better than what we're seeing now. their big mistake was writing off Denmark and focusing on Brazil.
Re: How Good Was Sunday Oliseh? by mamagee3(f): 1:37am On Apr 23, 2010
eldee:

*Death*

Are you talking of the modern football match or the good old days where there were players like Ikedia, Yobo, Okocha and Taribo West?
Re: How Good Was Sunday Oliseh? by Kgdavid(m): 2:33am On Apr 23, 2010
what i find disturbing is the fact that although the new crop of nigerian players look very good, there is none who looks like a really good defensive midfielder.
Re: How Good Was Sunday Oliseh? by Basics007: 2:48am On Apr 23, 2010
No contest Oliseh was very good but too stubborn for the bosses in the Fa
Re: How Good Was Sunday Oliseh? by deb(m): 11:50am On Apr 23, 2010
He's Nigeria's best ever Defensive Mildfielder. Played for Ajax, Borussia Dortmund and Jeventus
Re: How Good Was Sunday Oliseh? by lagerwhenindoubt(m): 1:39pm On Apr 23, 2010
Simply Spectacular, Intelligent and Educated and a good distributor of the ball and a worthy captain any day.

The good old days, Ben Iroha, Emmanuel Amuneke, Dan Amokachi (Da Bull) Finidi George, Celestine Babayaro, Ibrahim Babangida, Jay-jay (inconsistent then), Rueben Agboola, Mutio Adepoju, Uche Okechukwu man. we had a World-Cup Team grin

1 Like

Re: How Good Was Sunday Oliseh? by Kgdavid(m): 5:18pm On Apr 23, 2010
lagerwhenindoubt:

Simply Spectacular, Intelligent and Educated and a good distributor of the ball and a worthy captain any day.

The good old days, Ben Iroha, Emmanuel Amuneke, Dan Amokachi (Da Bull) Finidi George, Celestine Babayaro, Ibrahim Babangida, Jay-jay (inconsistent then), Rueben Agboola, Mutio Adepoju, Uche Okechukwu man. we had a World-Cup Team grin

really? im always impressed when i see educated footballers
Re: How Good Was Sunday Oliseh? by eldee(m): 6:03pm On Apr 23, 2010
mama-gee:

*Death*

Are you talking of the modern football match or the good old days where there were players like Ikedia, Yobo, Okocha and Taribo West?

Infact, plus Babangida . . . all of them looked shite next to the Laudrup bros and Sand.
They were old and they refused to retire, the formed a mafia in the team and completely refused to let young players come in.

dominique:

at least they were better than what we're seeing now. their big mistake was writing off Denmark and focusing on Brazil.

That one na excuse?? If we were preparing for Brazil, then we should have been even more equipped to trash Denmark. Abi Sand pass Ronaldo??
Re: How Good Was Sunday Oliseh? by honeric01(m): 11:00am On Apr 24, 2010
The best defensive midfielder we have ever produced.
Re: How Good Was Sunday Oliseh? by Sagamite(m): 8:38pm On Apr 24, 2010
Very Good!

Think of someone in the calibre of Michael Carrick.

I would say their ability and influence on the game is on par.
Re: How Good Was Sunday Oliseh? by Ibime(m): 8:44pm On Apr 24, 2010
^^^ Michael Carrick ke? Please, Carrick should go and sit down jor.

I was priviledged to see him live only once, at the friendly match against Japan in the build up to WC 2002.

He controlled the midfield exclusively and dominated possession against the likes of Nakata, and never let a pass go astray. Okocha was just there adding jara to make the crowd say "aay, aay".

Sunday Oliseh was Nigeria's greatest central midfielder of all time.
Re: How Good Was Sunday Oliseh? by Sagamite(m): 8:54pm On Apr 24, 2010
^^^^ I was there at the game in Southampton.

Even when we left the stadium, a Japanese mum and her kids were walking and singing[i] "aay, aay, whoo, whoo"[/i]. grin grin grin grin
Re: How Good Was Sunday Oliseh? by Ibime(m): 9:11pm On Apr 24, 2010
Sagamite:

^^^^ I was there at the game in Southampton.

Even when we left the stadium, a Japanese mum and her kids were walking and singing[i] "aay, aay, whoo, whoo"[/i]. grin grin grin grin

That was the first ever "home match" played by the Super Eagles in UK. It was a novelty at that time.

Im sure you remember that Oliseh was far and above the best midfielder in that game.
Re: How Good Was Sunday Oliseh? by Sagamite(m): 10:05pm On Apr 24, 2010
^^^Honestly, I can't remember.

Old age no dey gree me nowadays. grin
Re: How Good Was Sunday Oliseh? by drossy(m): 1:53am On Apr 26, 2010
they said he was the best in africa, in reality, one of the best in the world!!! in an era that we had only defensive or attacking midfielders, sunday oliseh, edgar davids were the first real generation of central midfielders!!,
Re: How Good Was Sunday Oliseh? by Nobody: 8:13am On Apr 26, 2010
Good enough to play for top clubs in Europe at the time:Juventus,Ajax Dortmund.All with European pedigree.
I think his CV of clubs played for is unparalled in Nigerian Football history.
His exploits in the national team are another thing else:I'd like to agree with Ibime:probably Nigeria's greatest central midfielder ever.

1 Like

Re: How Good Was Sunday Oliseh? by Olaolufred(m): 1:04pm On Apr 26, 2010
He was very good.
Essien is still up-coming.
Not yet in Oliseh's league.
Hope he gets there someday.
Re: How Good Was Sunday Oliseh? by Sagamite(m): 3:24pm On Apr 26, 2010
Olaolufred:

He was very good.
Essien is still up-coming.
Not yet in Oliseh's league.
Hope he gets there someday.

Essien is far better than Oliseh.
Re: How Good Was Sunday Oliseh? by semid4lyfe(m): 12:21am On Apr 27, 2010
Sagamite:

Essien is far better than Oliseh.
Old age don dey affect you true true grin grin grin
Re: How Good Was Sunday Oliseh? by Sagamite(m): 12:46am On Apr 27, 2010
semid4lyfe:

Old age don dey affect you true true grin grin grin

Come on!

Essien is World Class, can be the sole of a team and will stroll into the first team of ANY team in the world, bar none.

Oliseh (at his peak) was good, a top team member and was worthy of a lot of top teams but was liable to be a bench player for the top 10 teams in the world.
Re: How Good Was Sunday Oliseh? by semid4lyfe(m): 1:07am On Apr 27, 2010
Sagamite:

Come on!

Essien is World Class, can be the sole of a team and will stroll into the first team of ANY team in the world bar none.

Oliseh (at his peak) was good, a top team member and was worthy of a lot of top teams but was liable to be a bench player for the top 10 teams in the world.
Easy bro. . .I never said or meant to imply Essien wasn't better. I just don't agree with the way you phrased it. Essien just edges Sunday Oliseh IMO, as in he's just marginally better and not far better as you put it.

(1) (2) (Reply)

Can A Goal Keeper Be Caught In An Offside Position? / Win £100,000 For Free ''Football Predictions'' Super 6 / President Biya And Wife Host Cameroon National Team For Winning AFCON 2017

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 42
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.