Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,153,554 members, 7,819,997 topics. Date: Tuesday, 07 May 2024 at 08:04 AM

Lagos Awards Light Rail Project Contract To Chinese Firm - Politics (2) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / Lagos Awards Light Rail Project Contract To Chinese Firm (9040 Views)

Fayose's Letter To Chinese Government To Stop Buhari's $2bn Loan (Photos) / Obasanjo Awarded $841.6m Rail Project Without Mou –chinese Firm / Lagos Awards 69 Capital Projects At N50 Billion (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Lagos Awards Light Rail Project Contract To Chinese Firm by bibiking1(m): 3:55pm On Apr 14, 2010
msaalli:

If I am not going to be misinforming you, I actually think it's the purchase of locomtives that constitute the bulk of railway infrastructure cost and not the tracks themselves,

I believe the contract should be all inclusive if there is altruism in its conception. Breaking it would only ensure that the project ends up being abandoned somewhere!
Re: Lagos Awards Light Rail Project Contract To Chinese Firm by moremi2008(m): 4:39pm On Apr 14, 2010
I suggest that Fashola runs this with green energy, maybe horses, or a bunch of those random goats wandering the streets.
Re: Lagos Awards Light Rail Project Contract To Chinese Firm by labiyemmy(m): 5:10pm On Apr 14, 2010
Why must everything that is developmental in Nigeria receive so much talk down and pessimism? Why then do we talk when things are not initiated? When they are initiated, we talk it down and condemn it so much more before even allowing it to take off? I am amazed.
Re: Lagos Awards Light Rail Project Contract To Chinese Firm by Persien: 5:13pm On Apr 14, 2010
A very wonderful development but not so impressive, Some roads like the Iyana Ipaja- Ikotun road have been destroyed in the guise of repairs for sometime now. There is no evidence of any contractor working. The roads should have been left untouched now there s very serious hold up  everytime. COMPLETE THE ROADS  Then we can be sure that rails will come in.
Re: Lagos Awards Light Rail Project Contract To Chinese Firm by abrazonic(m): 5:14pm On Apr 14, 2010
Ride on Mr. Babatunde Fashola (SAN) grin grin grin grin

Re: Lagos Awards Light Rail Project Contract To Chinese Firm by mustafar1: 5:15pm On Apr 14, 2010
powered by darn generator? impossicant!
Re: Lagos Awards Light Rail Project Contract To Chinese Firm by msaalli(m): 5:17pm On Apr 14, 2010
@labiyemmy:

Why must everything that is developmental in Nigeria receive so much talk down and pessimism? Why then do we talk when things are not initiated? When they are initiated, we talk it down and condemn it so much more before even allowing it to take off? I am amazed.

it is even worse that such pessimism and negativity lacks objectivity based on the facts of such developmental plans.
Re: Lagos Awards Light Rail Project Contract To Chinese Firm by sley4life(m): 6:00pm On Apr 14, 2010
Kudos to Fashola. He is a brilliant governor. I wish he could contest for the Presidency
Re: Lagos Awards Light Rail Project Contract To Chinese Firm by Nobody: 6:24pm On Apr 14, 2010
We don't need Fashola in Abuja just yet. He has to get rid of the monkey Tinubu on his back before he can play on National turf.
Re: Lagos Awards Light Rail Project Contract To Chinese Firm by splashbaby(m): 7:14pm On Apr 14, 2010
KnowAll:

[size=14pt]But I must admit it is the right development in the right direction provided everything works well, [/size]
With the chinese monkeys never! It will never work. One of them is more fraudulent than two Nigerians 419er and 10 yahoo yahoo boiz put together. I am certain Fashola got this one wrong, Chinese, You can never trust them
Re: Lagos Awards Light Rail Project Contract To Chinese Firm by Fhemmmy: 7:20pm On Apr 14, 2010
Great project, but the math dont add up.
However, if they cld make this happen, it will make the life of people in Lagos a lot easier.
De-congest the traffic on the street of Lagos.
Re: Lagos Awards Light Rail Project Contract To Chinese Firm by JoeGaruba: 7:24pm On Apr 14, 2010
Let us give this a chance to work. I would love to take that train than fight through traffic in my jalopy.

While we may be skeptical about the technology we are going to get from China, we should realize that they have what it takes to do a good job by EU or US standards. The problem stems from what we set for them as critical success factors. How many turn around maintenance rounds have our refineries gone through?  They were not all done by China and we are still importing refined products!

If there is a way we as Nigerians can "keep them honest" (apology to CNN and Anderson Cooper) we should try that and show that there is a gap in the deliverable and what would be worth the investment.  That way, they can stop calling a dog a monkey. I hope we get this right.

Lets go there.
Re: Lagos Awards Light Rail Project Contract To Chinese Firm by Fhemmmy: 7:26pm On Apr 14, 2010
Do anyone know when they are supposed to be done with the project?
Re: Lagos Awards Light Rail Project Contract To Chinese Firm by TewMuch: 8:27pm On Apr 14, 2010
I am skeptical about Chinese firms doing the light rail since it will be over water. I also hope there is a clause in the contract for maintainance of the project over a number of years as guarantee of a job well done. This is a positive and great initiative, but it has to be done right. Fashola is a great governor, very proud of him. Omo aromisale egbelegbe. Eko o ni baje oh, o baje tiii
Re: Lagos Awards Light Rail Project Contract To Chinese Firm by DisGuy: 9:41pm On Apr 14, 2010
Fhemmmy:

Do anyone know when they are supposed to be done with the project?

thank you jare, i was just reading each and every post looking out for the completion date and i'm saying to myself ive read about this project several times still not sure when it the construction will 'actually' start and when it is expected to be completed!!
Re: Lagos Awards Light Rail Project Contract To Chinese Firm by DisGuy: 10:41pm On Apr 14, 2010
The light rail network was proposed by the administration of the Bola Tinubu in the early 2000.

In April 2008, the Lagos State Government approved N70bn for both the Ojo/LASU-Okokomaiko-Marina Line and its construction, with an estimated completion date of 2011.

It also approved ?70bn for both the Agbado-Iddo-Marina Line and its construction, with an estimated completion date of 2011.

just found this from another thread
Re: Lagos Awards Light Rail Project Contract To Chinese Firm by deekaybee: 11:17pm On Apr 14, 2010
Here's the official website,

http://www.lagosrail.com/home/index.php

Not much information though
Re: Lagos Awards Light Rail Project Contract To Chinese Firm by nex(m): 11:40pm On Apr 14, 2010
The Chinese are the best at modern rail contracts. Even the USA which has developed its own high speed rail, has recently given a contract to a Chinese firm on the count that they are more efficient and quite cheaper.

I don't see why people are complaining just because it's China. Huawei, is the reason why the Nigerian telecomms industry has grown so fast. When it was Siemens, Motorola and Alcatel building the GSM infrastruct, the snail speed was outrageous. They were too expensive because they always worked as a cartel. Not to mention all the bribery.

Chinese firms are the best for this contract. The price though is what I think is outrageously low.
Re: Lagos Awards Light Rail Project Contract To Chinese Firm by msaalli(m): 11:48pm On Apr 14, 2010
nex:

Chinese firms are the best for this contract. The price though is what I think is outrageously low.

"LAMATA is currently tendering a design build contract for fixed infrastructure and a 25 year concession for operations and maintenance." (http://www.lagosrail.com/home/index.php)

If I'm not mistaken, it shows that they have split the rail contract into two, one for the fixed infrastructure and another for operations and maintenance.
Re: Lagos Awards Light Rail Project Contract To Chinese Firm by shotster50(m): 1:03am On Apr 15, 2010
I can understand why a lot of people are pessimistic about projest like this. Nigeria must be top of the list for white elephant projects, hence the sceptism. I remember sometime last year when it was announced that Fashola commissioned a CCTV camera project for Lgos and a massive debate ensued, Can somebody update us on that project??
Re: Lagos Awards Light Rail Project Contract To Chinese Firm by Redman44(m): 1:12am On Apr 15, 2010
Well, since the fellas from China have been given the mandate to deliver the Lagos light rail project, I will let sleeping dogs lie. It is high time work starts on the project. I can't wait for the development of Nigeria's Railway system and services. The world has indeed left us behind and it is sad that we are now playing catch-up. However, I'm still wondering where the energy to run the light rail project will come from sad sad I feel the Lagos State Government needs to lobby the Federal Government to speed up work on the Electricity Legislation bills that will allow states to generate power individually. Then Fashola and his cabinet can invite foreign power companies to come and invest in the Lagos Independent power Project. I know some foreign Electricity companies are really interested in investing in the Nigerian economy. Kudos to BRF. He is a progressive politician.

www.vibes-extra..com
Re: Lagos Awards Light Rail Project Contract To Chinese Firm by JoeGaruba: 1:38am On Apr 15, 2010
deekaybee:

Here's the official website,

http://www.lagosrail.com/home/index.php

Not much information though

Thanks for the link. It does have interesting information about the plans for the blue and red lines. If it works out, Lagos will be on the verge of becoming a cosmopolitan city!

Yes e fit!

grin
Re: Lagos Awards Light Rail Project Contract To Chinese Firm by doyin13(m): 1:40am On Apr 15, 2010
someone posted a picture in another thread showing work going on
around the Iganmu area.

So I guess they have started.
Re: Lagos Awards Light Rail Project Contract To Chinese Firm by maxdi(m): 2:19am On Apr 15, 2010
[size=8pt]EKO O NI BAJE O[/size]
Re: Lagos Awards Light Rail Project Contract To Chinese Firm by msaalli(m): 6:16am On Apr 15, 2010
Redman44:

However, I'm still wondering where the energy to run the light rail project will come from sad sad I feel the Lagos State Government needs to lobby the Federal Government to speed up work on the Electricity Legislation bills that will allow states to generate power individually. Then Fashola and his cabinet can invite foreign power companies to come and invest in the Lagos Independent power Project. I know some foreign Electricity companies are really interested in investing in the Nigerian economy.

Dunno exactly what the plans are but I do know Lagos does not need permission for an IPP solely to power this program. It only needs the FG if it intends to distribute and sell the power generated to its citizens. If Oando can be tempted enough to build and operate the IPP for the Lagos WaterWorks project, I believe it would be more than enticed as well to work out that for the rail as well.
Re: Lagos Awards Light Rail Project Contract To Chinese Firm by flimo(m): 7:28am On Apr 15, 2010
[s]Lagos is the place to be in the next 5 years ![/s]
you are right frosbel, with this kind of project, i bet its going to reduce traffic jam.
Re: Lagos Awards Light Rail Project Contract To Chinese Firm by Nobody: 8:55am On Apr 15, 2010
CCECC. . . the chinese construction company has been receiving the bulk of contracts in Lagos and they have been performing well, but I believe the main reason they get these contracts is because their prices are low. You all will agree with me that it's not easy for a state to handle such a project without financial support from the Federal government.

We need to realize that what we need in Lagos isn't some European architecture styled infrastructure. . . things have gone so wrong in Nigeria over the past years, all we need is to start setting our priorities right. I'm quite sure CCECC can handle the project well. . . They constructed the Lasu-Isheri road and it's more decent than most roads in Lagos. . . Even the almighty Julius Berger couldn't handle a small road construction in Surulere well. . . you need to see the way the whole road gets flooded after some little rain.

*Powering the light rail* Whether its electricity, diesel or coal. . all that needs to be done is to have a good strategy in place. I'm sure that even if there's no stable electricity in the whole country, there would be a dedicated source of power for that particular project.
If diesel is the option, that wouldn't be a problem for Lagos state. . . At least, we all know how we burn fuel daily with generators and cars. . . that goes a long way to show that we have what it takes!

Let's just wait and see how it works after its completion. . . Fashola all the way! wink
Re: Lagos Awards Light Rail Project Contract To Chinese Firm by tkb417(m): 9:20am On Apr 15, 2010
chei China again

China and India dey scare me everytime i swear

i pray this works
Re: Lagos Awards Light Rail Project Contract To Chinese Firm by jaybee3(m): 9:29am On Apr 15, 2010
China, Sudan, Indian or whichever country delivering the project doesn't bother me as long as the prospective rail lines passes through adequate ultrasonic testings.
Y'all should remember that any derailment will definitely lead to lawsuits and I'm sure they wouldn't wanna tarnish der image during der continuous accent to the top as world's number 1 economy.
Re: Lagos Awards Light Rail Project Contract To Chinese Firm by labiyemmy(m): 9:45am On Apr 15, 2010
^^^^^^

You are already thinking of derailment on a train that hasnt even began operation? Na wao -

Dubai - South Africa and many other countries are building such projects and i search online to see if i can find these critics on their projects - running into trillions of dollars - but i cant find any of these type of critics. You then wonder why Naija is backward, it is the people and their warped thinking.
Re: Lagos Awards Light Rail Project Contract To Chinese Firm by olafolarin(m): 12:49pm On Apr 15, 2010
The project(Marina to Okokomaiko Rail line) will Be concluded by end of 2011.The other half Leasing to Badagry is facing tough Opposition from the FG who is hell-bent in concessioning the Road.The last Minister for Works made some stupid Statements negating the LASG initiatives.
I just Hope Jonathan will Support the LASG so that the Rail project can Be achieved.
Re: Lagos Awards Light Rail Project Contract To Chinese Firm by hajifaty: 2:44pm On Apr 15, 2010
I believe the Chinese can do it better than any other country because you need to see the way these people are constructing their metro stations. There are 15 metro lines that are linking every part of Shanghai including the high speed MAGLEV Train that takes u direct to the International Terminal of Pudong INT Airport within 5mins and they are well constructed. If there is no financial problem then the Chinese can really do a great job for us.

(1) (2) (3) (Reply)

Thousands Of Arewa Youths Storm Kanu House PICS / The Chinese Transparent Glass Bridge That Is Making People To Change Their Walki / NSA Azazi Or GEJ - Who Do We Believe On The Cause Of Bombings In Nigeria?

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 50
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.