Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,150,768 members, 7,809,960 topics. Date: Friday, 26 April 2024 at 05:54 PM

Should I Quit My #55,000 Monthly Job For University? - Career (3) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Career / Should I Quit My #55,000 Monthly Job For University? (24191 Views)

50k Monthly Job Or Bolt Driving In Port Harcourt / N60,000 Monthly Job Or Uber? / How I Resigned From My #55,000 Job To Become Self Employed (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Should I Quit My #55,000 Monthly Job For University? by Nobody: 6:30pm On Jan 21, 2018
My elder brother 11 years ago was without a degree and earning 50k as a logistics manager at a shipping firm. He joined the company at 19 and became an associate manager three years later.

When it was time for him to be made a full manager, he was bypassed for a less skillful and hardworking alternative. He quit the next morning and started working towards a degree.

He went in, studied law and came out with a nice grade. He went to Germany to study maritime law, again, did well. When he came back, he applied to a company in the same industry where he got his first experience, he was hired on the spot.

Six months later, a global shipping company headhunted him for their West Africa division. Today, at the age of 35 he's a board member in the same company and receives many unwanted job offers on the daily.

Did I forget to say he makes over $100k as salary? Yeah, he earns about 3 million per month.

Why are my telling you this?

1. You haven't arrived;

2. Your current salary is the barest minimum your potentials can command;

3. You will lose opportunities on account of your lack of formal education;

4. Your family will be better off in the long run. You guys will not die;

5. No pain no gain.

Now, schooling does not mean you should be without income. In this modern age and time, all you need to make a comfortable living is a laptop and decent internet connection. Save to buy a laptop and modem if you do not already own these and become a freelancer.

There are so many things you can be doing as freelancer that will bring you more than your present salary.

If you are not sold on the freelancing route, great. Now you can focus on finding a homegrown business that you can offer to your fellow students.

You've come to the point whereby you can't be without income, so don't be.

Just use your head more.

Please, don't look for love at this point unless you can brainwash the babe to spend money while you spend attention, love and care on her. You must learn to be practical.

Don't live above your means, don't keep bad company, dont pursue first class, don't be too hung over grades but by all means do not neglect your studies.

Good luck.

Sorry for the typos. I'm on mobile.

10 Likes 1 Share

Re: Should I Quit My #55,000 Monthly Job For University? by emekuzi: 6:41pm On Jan 21, 2018
Georgematics:
Good day all, Pls this issue had been given me sleepless nights so I decide to bring it here to hear your opinions and idvice.

I had been looking for admission for the past 4 years and luckily I finally got admitted into a federal university here were am reciding. The problem is; I had been the one taking care of my self and also assist my family with the salary I was earning from the company were I work. Due to economic reasons I wasn't able to save money after paying bills for myself and some of my family (I'm single, lives alone but my Mum & siblings live not to far from my residence). The only money I'll be falling back on if I quit my Job is the gratuitee and Pentio

So, I'm seeking your mature advice, Should I quit Work & Focus on Schooling? Pls help a brother. Thanks in advance

Congrats on your admission bro! I can imagine how tough a decision like this could be, but since you have a little savings(gratuity and pension) to fall back on, I would advice you to start up your schooling ASAP! It could be tough, but you would look back and say 'I made the best decision'. Your education is very important and believe you me, time is another factor in education. The earlier the best. If you are industrious enough, there could be opportunities to earn some monies while schooling.
Another possibility is to arrange with your boss, if you can work with them part time since it school is close.
Your decision today determines the future you looking for, make the best of it, see you at the top!

1 Like

Re: Should I Quit My #55,000 Monthly Job For University? by adebayosun02: 6:41pm On Jan 21, 2018
Seems your are civil servant. Apply for study leave, write n apply for study leave, attach your Admission letter.
Re: Should I Quit My #55,000 Monthly Job For University? by Firgemachar: 6:44pm On Jan 21, 2018
Georgematics:

Thank you. The problem is that there is no part time studies for level 100 in the university I applied..still thanks alot

Part time is useless, a waste of time, you can't do NYSC, don't do part time!
Re: Should I Quit My #55,000 Monthly Job For University? by auxyn1: 6:46pm On Jan 21, 2018
If you are 23yrs or below, it's worth a shot.

If you are above 23, don't even dare quit that job, you can do NOUN which part-time
Re: Should I Quit My #55,000 Monthly Job For University? by Nobody: 6:47pm On Jan 21, 2018
Georgematics:
Good day all, Pls this issue had been given me sleepless nights so I decide to bring it here to hear your opinions and idvice.

I had been looking for admission for the past 4 years and luckily I finally got admitted into a federal university here were am reciding. The problem is; I had been the one taking care of my self and also assist my family with the salary I was earning from the company were I work. Due to economic reasons I wasn't able to save money after paying bills for myself and some of my family (I'm single, lives alone but my Mum & siblings live not to far from my residence). The only money I'll be falling back on if I quit my Job is the gratuitee and Pention.

So, I'm seeking your mature advice, Should I quit Work & Focus on Schooling? Pls help a brother. Thanks in advance

55k with no degree? Connect me with the job

1 Like

Re: Should I Quit My #55,000 Monthly Job For University? by elbulk(m): 6:48pm On Jan 21, 2018
Georgematics:

I had been looking for admission for the past 4 years and luckily I finally got admitted into a federal university here were am reciding. The problem is; I had been the one taking care of my self and also assist my family with the salary I was earning from the company were I work. Due to economic reasons I wasn't able to save money after paying bills for myself and some of my family (I'm single, lives alone but my Mum & siblings live not to far from my residence). The only money I'll be falling back on if I quit my Job is the gratuitee and Pention.

In my opinion Lee working and get into open university. The degrees are accredited and recognized. The job is well needed since you are responsible for iu and more people
Re: Should I Quit My #55,000 Monthly Job For University? by Meetleader: 6:50pm On Jan 21, 2018
J
Georgematics:

You are experiencing fear of the unknown...

My advice : Go for that which you desire most... prayer would also make you fearless...

I have a similar experience, today I am happy I took that bold step...

1 Like

Re: Should I Quit My #55,000 Monthly Job For University? by lawman88(m): 6:52pm On Jan 21, 2018
Zykod:

You can do business even in school, there are over 50 businesses you can do while in school

My guy, nothing compares education o. Quit the job, don't even negotiate the thought of getting an education
God bless you sir. This is what I wanted to tell him. I rejected a bank job offer just because I got admission for full time master degree, today I'm happy that I did that. Nothing like education
Re: Should I Quit My #55,000 Monthly Job For University? by Nobody: 6:53pm On Jan 21, 2018
lawman88:

God bless you sir. This is what I wanted to tell him. I rejected a bank job offer just because I got admission for full time master degree, today I'm happy that I did that. Nothing like education

Thank you
Re: Should I Quit My #55,000 Monthly Job For University? by slurity1: 6:54pm On Jan 21, 2018
Georgematics:

weigh the two and make your decision based on these questions. 1. Do you have the tendency of graduating with the source of money you want to rely on? 2. Will your present 55k salary get better or do you if you eventually did not get admission in the next years to come? 3. what do you stand to lose if you choose the admission or the salary to continue .4. last and most important question is. Is it possible you lost even the one you choose to go for? You can even lost a job easily immediately after admission is close and regret choosing it but can you easily lost admission like that?

1 Like

Re: Should I Quit My #55,000 Monthly Job For University? by Bobbysmart6(m): 6:54pm On Jan 21, 2018
do per- time..schooling
Re: Should I Quit My #55,000 Monthly Job For University? by Nobody: 6:55pm On Jan 21, 2018
Yemi2346:
Pls quit the job. It could come with pains but you would glad u did. Your degree is a fulfilment. Go for it and your helper will locate u there. Goodluck
get away from here, must everybody be a graduate?
Re: Should I Quit My #55,000 Monthly Job For University? by jmichael259(m): 6:57pm On Jan 21, 2018
Georgematics:

Thank you. The problem is that there is no part time studies for level 100 in the university I applied..still thanks alot

There is always part time studies being run by polytechnics, colleges of education and universities. Go to government secondary schools around the town and you will see lecturers, businessmen, uniformed and other parastatal workers running their bachelors, masters and ph.d via weekend and holiday programmes. You shouldn't have even waited four years at home and DO NOT LEAVE YOUR WORK!!

1 Like

Re: Should I Quit My #55,000 Monthly Job For University? by sexy74(m): 7:03pm On Jan 21, 2018
Georgematics:

Pally my sincere opinion is that you go ahead with your school, things have a natural way of sorting itself out.
Am not saying it will be easy, but i believe that you will come out successful.

1 Like

Re: Should I Quit My #55,000 Monthly Job For University? by ehinorlive: 7:07pm On Jan 21, 2018
if you know that you are going to waist your time in school clubbing, enjoying yourself instead of developing yourself. pls dont quit, but if you can develop your self when you are in school, what is 55.000. you can make x100 in a day
Re: Should I Quit My #55,000 Monthly Job For University? by Georgematics(m): 7:12pm On Jan 21, 2018
Chukazu:

Is that the only school available?

Why not set up a business that doesn't require your presence to function...so you can be getting some money from their to support your full time education?
j

Like I said earlier I've spend too much time seeking this admission already and it will be very devastating for me to wait 1 more year & I'll have to rewrite jamb. I'll really look into setting up a business as you suggested. Thanks a lot.
Re: Should I Quit My #55,000 Monthly Job For University? by jetz(m): 7:16pm On Jan 21, 2018
Georgematics:

dont try it oh see we graduate we never see work the best tin is to save up and study online lot of good online programs out there biko buhariya is real if u lose that job u on ur own
Re: Should I Quit My #55,000 Monthly Job For University? by Ladisage(m): 7:16pm On Jan 21, 2018
Don't quit the job at all since all boils on funds, your fees and family. You're earning what some graduate are earning as well. just look for a part time or distance learning program and role on with life. No matter all the contributions you get here the best terrain is that "you follow your mind"
Re: Should I Quit My #55,000 Monthly Job For University? by NigeriaBam: 7:18pm On Jan 21, 2018
Go for Sandwich program
Re: Should I Quit My #55,000 Monthly Job For University? by Akinya17: 7:19pm On Jan 21, 2018
Please don't quit your job. Go For part time or attend open university. It's a win win situation for you. Most graduates don't even earn 55k.
Re: Should I Quit My #55,000 Monthly Job For University? by JayPeroHero(m): 7:22pm On Jan 21, 2018
Please don't quit the job. I strongly urge you not to quit. There are many graduates looking for a job that would earn them just even #20000 per month.

Wait are you mocking people or you mean what you are saying?
The era which education was valued had past. That was the 20th century.

Or, you want to pursue fame without money? This is 21th century, what is needed primarily is your ability to communicate fluently either in written or spoken . The rest is how to earn a living and impacting on humanity.

Like me, I am an OND holder two years ago, just looking for any job but not found yet.

So I want you to stay put, save money and have a business running or make investments for your schooling in the future if you want to. You will feel comfortable when you have steady sources of income while schooling.

Thus, it is an advice not a command. Thank you.

1 Like

Re: Should I Quit My #55,000 Monthly Job For University? by Georgematics(m): 7:32pm On Jan 21, 2018
Gamesmart:

What gratuity and pension are you expecting to get when you resign?

My company run a service with Premium Pension were #6000 is been deducted from our monthly salary and the company adds #4000 to save and 25% of the totalled insured money is paid to you when you resign, then you get paid #5000 a month after some amount of time if you haven't gotten another work
Re: Should I Quit My #55,000 Monthly Job For University? by samisj4real(m): 7:33pm On Jan 21, 2018
rafhell:
Depends on what career you have in mind for yourself.
I was exactly in your shoe 9 years ago.
Look at me now, what I earn in a month is more than fifteen times what I would be earning if I were still there.
No pain no gain.
Take the plunge and see where you land.
Na so una go they lie, person wey they earn 15x of watin im they earn years back now! no go get that kin picture or so
Re: Should I Quit My #55,000 Monthly Job For University? by basmur(m): 7:36pm On Jan 21, 2018
Have it discussed with a senior colleague or boss and your desire of nt leaving your job. Plead with him/her. Make hm see reason to advise and help u.

Because you seriously need the cash to get the certificate.

Do not forfeit the admission, continue with d registrations and endeavor to meet HEAD OF DPT and some your departmental lectures. In all honesty explain your situations and plead for their help. Their responses and cooperation is a mojor factor if you wil eventually leave you job,

You might be allow to miss most classes but will be call upon for tests.. It is nt going to be easy. Have contact of your coursemates and reps and chat up on school stuff on regular to help with assgnment and other stuff...

You will only be missing some time at work for tests and exams with you boss awarenes.

But if this didnt work out.
Save some money and start a small business to help wt yr financing.

Everytthing for education.

1 Like

Re: Should I Quit My #55,000 Monthly Job For University? by hausadreturn(m): 7:42pm On Jan 21, 2018
Georgematics:
j

Like I said earlier I've spend too much time seeking this admission already and it will be very devastating for me to wait 1 more year & I'll have to rewrite jamb. I'll really look into setting up a business as you suggested. Thanks a lot.
You got admitted into a federal university, you have to do all you can to get in there. See if you can collect a loan (not from a bank ooo), be it family, or anyone who knows you well. Show them the admission letter, & promise to pay them back in installments. To get admission for federal university no be beans o.
Keep trying & you'll see someone to help. When there's a will, there's a way.
>
I agree to Rayell's comment above on the matter.
No pain no gain, be practical, dont live above your means, and dont do girls that will zap the little you have. Be realistic.
It's a federal uni., so ensure you gain the experience that comes with it. Also remember to stay on campus...off campus go chop your money join wella.
Wish you goodluck.

1 Like

Re: Should I Quit My #55,000 Monthly Job For University? by demoBaba: 7:43pm On Jan 21, 2018
thorpido:
If you don't have an adequate financial backing,I will advise you get a school where you do part-time studies while you work.That's your best bet especially because your family also benefits from you.

You nail it.
Re: Should I Quit My #55,000 Monthly Job For University? by demoBaba: 7:45pm On Jan 21, 2018
rafhell:
Look at me now, what I earn in a month is more than fifteen times what I would be earning if I were still there.
No pain no gain.

We not seen you
Re: Should I Quit My #55,000 Monthly Job For University? by Godson00001: 7:47pm On Jan 21, 2018
Chairman quit the job jor...wat r u waiting for? Bt dont let me catch u beggin sb for money to pay fees oooo.
Its like u r nt a nigerian. Hw in nigeria can u quit a job dat is pensionable wit gratuity paid just because u wnt to concentrate in schooling. Wen u finally struggle and graduate den u com out wit d certificate n stay till infinity wit a job of 10k ur eyes go clear.
Now let me advice u. If u no u hav a job dat pays u dat amount, try n go for a part time program or online program lik NOUN. So dat in d end u wil stil hold on to ur job if a beta one is nt available n stil hav ur certificate instead of havin d certificate in pain n no job. Nigeria is a shit hole wen it coms to employment except u no say u get person at d top wey go employ u once u finish.
The fellow dat commented above about being in ur shoes 9yrs ago fails to tel u dat Nigeria of 9yrs ago is different frm d Nigeria we hav today. Am nt sayin dat schoolin is bad oooo. Am only advicing dat u seek ways to work n school at d same time. Wish u d best

1 Like

Re: Should I Quit My #55,000 Monthly Job For University? by elmas(m): 7:48pm On Jan 21, 2018
Can one do part-time in Mechanical engineering and bag a degree from a university?
Re: Should I Quit My #55,000 Monthly Job For University? by futurebillgate(m): 7:51pm On Jan 21, 2018
Georgematics:

oga do part time me that got admission i hvent gotten money for school fees, school aint easy without financial help
Re: Should I Quit My #55,000 Monthly Job For University? by futurebillgate(m): 8:02pm On Jan 21, 2018
rafhell:
No pain no gain.
15 times damn oga you need to touch my life i hte begging but my school fees

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (Reply)

Salary Structures In Nigeria And Their Meaning(contiss,conuass,conraiss ETC / How Much Did You Save Before Quitting Your Salary Job For Your Own Business? / Victor Ifeanyichukwu Ede, UNIPORT Graduate Who Drives Keke Napep For A Living

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 86
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.