Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,150,831 members, 7,810,198 topics. Date: Friday, 26 April 2024 at 11:10 PM

"Restructure Nigeria or We Leave" Punch Advert by Yoruba Elders - Politics (6) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / "Restructure Nigeria or We Leave" Punch Advert by Yoruba Elders (43178 Views)

Don't Resign - Yoruba Elders To Osinbajo / 2023: Yoruba elders send message to Buhari over El-Rufai’s presidential ambition / Buhari@76: See The ThrowBack Advert By Fayose & PDP Wishing Buhari Death In 2015 (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: "Restructure Nigeria or We Leave" Punch Advert by Yoruba Elders by Sprumbabafather: 9:28pm On Jan 22, 2018
konoplyanka:

When did ibos leave Nigeria?

1967-1970.

When did Yorubas even attempt to to pull their heads out of the butthole of the fulanis?
Re: "Restructure Nigeria or We Leave" Punch Advert by Yoruba Elders by gabolak(m): 9:29pm On Jan 22, 2018
Please I want to appeal to everyone on this forum ( Nairaland forum members) to let us turn our swords into ploughshares.
For goodness sake let us stop unproductive tribal war of words on this forum and come together to fight a just course.
Enough of comments that seems to be promoting ethnic wars.
Let us come together and channel our anger towards fighting our common enemy.
For posterity sake, it is high time we all spoke with one voice to demand for the restructuring of the geographical entity called Nigerian.

2 Likes

Re: "Restructure Nigeria or We Leave" Punch Advert by Yoruba Elders by Teeboi56: 9:29pm On Jan 22, 2018
Sprumbabafather:
Only on one condition, grin

All the Doctors and professors who signed that paper must tender an unreserved apology for being deceived to vote a person who didn't pass WASC grin

Anyway, till we hear from Nnamdi Kanu, its Buharri till 2089 grin
Wow
And u think u we still alive dat time 2089
Re: "Restructure Nigeria or We Leave" Punch Advert by Yoruba Elders by Nobody: 9:29pm On Jan 22, 2018
nextstep:

Why? The Sultan of Sokoto is considered the spiritual leader of the Muslim community in Nigeria. Who else should Yoruba Muslims take religious directions and observance from?
Who elected him? Why not the Alaafin of Oyo or a reputable and influential person from the SW?

1 Like

Re: "Restructure Nigeria or We Leave" Punch Advert by Yoruba Elders by Sprumbabafather: 9:31pm On Jan 22, 2018
Teeboi56:

Wow
And u think u we still alive dat time 2089

Yes, your children will be living the way afonjas are living under the emir of Illorin grin
Re: "Restructure Nigeria or We Leave" Punch Advert by Yoruba Elders by lovewahz(m): 9:31pm On Jan 22, 2018
littlewonders:
Restructuring is a sin at the moment in a country called Nigeria.

Yes oo.restructuring is a big sin in nija
Re: "Restructure Nigeria or We Leave" Punch Advert by Yoruba Elders by nextstep(m): 9:32pm On Jan 22, 2018
Guestlander:

Read the part where the OP marked as " Must Read" and tell us what you think.

I've read it.

- "The Yoruba people are irrevocably commited to a fundamental structuring".
OK... why? I say economic hardship

- "inaliable right to self-determination guaranteed by the United Nations Charter".
No country is obligated to recognize anything, unless it serves their own interest. Leave charter alone.

- "cannot be carried out under the present National Assembly... does not recognize the will of We the People".
Fine. You are welcome to challenge the sovereign with violence (which is its right to resort to, as mandated by its Constitution). Good luck. History has shown that the UN (I really mean the Security Council) only recognizes the side with superior firepower, and many millions are displaced/killed/starved while UN countries make money selling arms, planes, and relief supplies.

I've no problem with restructuring, and I will gladly apply for visa if Oduduwa Republic becomes a strong, prosperous, sovereign nation where I can use my talents to their full potential, where electricity is constant, corruption is minimal, roads excellent, and healthcare superb.

2 Likes

Re: "Restructure Nigeria or We Leave" Punch Advert by Yoruba Elders by Nobody: 9:33pm On Jan 22, 2018
Xbee007:

Simple, here is how it works. The Sultan of Sokoto is just a mere mouthpiece, his duty is to report the sighting of the moon to the general public. If he fails to do so, it wouldn't change anything as everyone with eyes can sight moon on his own. Most Muslims don't even know he does that. No one waits for anyone to do the sighting for them, once it is sighted in a particular state or country u can comfortably calculate the time difference and select correctly when to start or end fasting.
Who elected or made him the one to sight the moon on behalf of all Muslims? Why can't a Yoruba Muslim do that? FG will never declare a public holiday without the sultan giving the go ahead. Y'all are at the mercy of the sultan. Grow some balls and self esteem and appoint a SW person. FYI: I'm Yoruba. I just don't like the slavish attitude of most Yoruba Muslims. They don't have a mind of their own but only good at follow follow.

1 Like

Re: "Restructure Nigeria or We Leave" Punch Advert by Yoruba Elders by Guestlander: 9:34pm On Jan 22, 2018
nextstep:

OK, I must be mistaken (and I'm not trying to be cheeky).

Please quote the article and make plain its main thrust. If people were gainfully employed with good jobs, schools, hospitals, etc. do you think this advert would make any sense? Intellectuals just get together and demand restructuring because everything is going well? Consider the following:

"Everyone is eating well and is healthy, so let's restructure for some other undisclosed reason" <- this one doesn't make much sense.

"Everyone is suffering, there are no jobs, so let's restructure" <- this one makes more sense, which leads me to my conclusion.

Instead of just stating that unemployment is not the main thrust, please put forward a plausible reason for the advert. I've given you my plausible reasons for my conclusion.

Basically the constitution we are operating is not a federal constitution. Nigeria became an independent country and got a carefully negotiated constitution agreed to by all the federating units.
What we have now is not working for anyone, except maybe a few who now have some advantages as a result of the skewed constitution.
States for example should not be going to Abuja every cap in hand like beggers.
There are several other issues affecting states which Abuja should have no business dealing with.
Re: "Restructure Nigeria or We Leave" Punch Advert by Yoruba Elders by GMbuharii: 9:36pm On Jan 22, 2018
AfonjaConehead:
Just imagine what they will name their imaginary kwantiri, THE NGBANTI PEOPLES REPUBLIC OF CONEHEADS

BAAAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA... grin grin grin grin grin grin grin grin
Re: "Restructure Nigeria or We Leave" Punch Advert by Yoruba Elders by GMbuharii: 9:36pm On Jan 22, 2018
AfonjaConehead:
Coneheads were the mumu errand pigeons for mallams (as typical slaves)in the war against the crusader,Nnamdi Kanu. They were the empty barrels and high sounding drums,shouting anti Kanu bla bla bla.. They were foaming in the mouth and dared Kanu to enter Lagos. Operation python dance became more popular than the birthday,life and times of their great Otapiapia hero grin

Now they wan port to their amala kwantiri of coneheads where they will be free to pick pocket and harvest their heads for rituals,whosaai grin grin

all coneheads repeat after me: "ONE NAIJIRIYA!"

BAAAAAAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA....KIKIKIKIKIKIKIKIKIKI...
grin grin grin grin grin

grin

2 Likes

Re: "Restructure Nigeria or We Leave" Punch Advert by Yoruba Elders by zendy: 9:37pm On Jan 22, 2018
Guestlander:

Yoruba man not made for the stuff needed to be a secessionist? I'm I supposed to be debating this nonsense with you? Is there anyone specially made to be a secessionist?

Lol

There are only two ways of leaving Nigeria:

You either become a secessionist like Ojukwu, declare your independence and fight for it no matter the consequence.

Or

You become an Nnamdi Kanu and take up agitation and challenge the powers that be to give you a referendum

The stuff of character needed to be either Ojukwu or Kanu is rarely found amongs Yorubas. This makes any talk of leaving Nigeria by them laughable. It takes more than mere talk to leave Nigeria

3 Likes

Re: "Restructure Nigeria or We Leave" Punch Advert by Yoruba Elders by Sprumbabafather: 9:37pm On Jan 22, 2018
Guestlander:

Basically the constitution we are operating is not a federal constitution. Nigeria became an independent country and got a carefully negotiated constitution agreed to by all the federating units.
What we have now is not working for anyone, except maybe a few who now have some advantages as a result of the skewed constitution.
There are several other issues affecting states which Abuja should have no business dealing with.

And Jonathan proposed some good laws in 2014 and what did you do?

Vote him out. Are you Ok?
Re: "Restructure Nigeria or We Leave" Punch Advert by Yoruba Elders by GMbuharii: 9:38pm On Jan 22, 2018
Sprumbabafather:

Yes, your children will be living the way afonjas are living under the emir of Illorin grin

lolss grin
Re: "Restructure Nigeria or We Leave" Punch Advert by Yoruba Elders by Guestlander: 9:38pm On Jan 22, 2018
nextstep:

I've read it.

- "The Yoruba people are irrevocably commited to a fundamental structuring".[/I]
OK... why? I say economic hardship

[i]- "inaliable right to self-determination guaranteed by the United Nations Charter".[/I]
No country is obligated to recognize anything, unless it serves their own interest. Leave charter alone.

[i]- "cannot be carried out under the present National Assembly... does not recognize the will of We the People".

Fine. You are welcome to challenge the sovereign with violence (which is its right to resort to, as mandated by its Constitution). Good luck. History has shown that the UN (I really mean the Security Council) only recognizes the side with superior firepower, and many millions are displaced/killed/starved while UN countries make money selling arms, planes, and relief supplies.

I've no problem with restructuring, and I will gladly apply for visa if Oduduwa Republic becomes a strong, prosperous, sovereign nation.

I'm not sure I read it anywhere in the post where violence was mentioned. There you go again being dishonest.
If Yoruba no longer wish to be part of the federation which is not what the advert is saying then I challenge you to come and stop them with your "superior firepower"
Re: "Restructure Nigeria or We Leave" Punch Advert by Yoruba Elders by Guestlander: 9:40pm On Jan 22, 2018
Sprumbabafather:

And Jonathan proposed some good laws in 2014 and what did you do?

Vote him out. Are you Ok?

Jonathan was a dunce. What laws are you talking about?

1 Like 1 Share

Re: "Restructure Nigeria or We Leave" Punch Advert by Yoruba Elders by Sprumbabafather: 9:40pm On Jan 22, 2018
zendy:

Lol

You either become a secessionist like Ojukwu, declare your independence and fight for it no matter the consequence.

Or

You become an Nnamdi Kanu and take up agitation and challenge the powers that be to give you a referendum

The stuff of character needed to be either Ojukwu or Kanu is rarely found amongs Yorubas. This makes any talk of leaving Nigeria by them laughable. It takes more than mere talk to leave Nigeria

This joke was written by a bunch of comedians who rented a Punch newspaper space to amuse the nation. It will take more than a hundred years before a Yoruba man can do what Nnamdi Kanu did. grin
Re: "Restructure Nigeria or We Leave" Punch Advert by Yoruba Elders by GMbuharii: 9:41pm On Jan 22, 2018
We a4onjas/coneheads/headhunters must remain a slave to Fulani and their cows...said baba till 2023
grin grin
Re: "Restructure Nigeria or We Leave" Punch Advert by Yoruba Elders by Sprumbabafather: 9:42pm On Jan 22, 2018
Guestlander:

Jonathan was a dunce. What laws, are you talking about?

Buharri is a genius, that is why we want him to continue till 2089 grin

sai baba

1 Like

Re: "Restructure Nigeria or We Leave" Punch Advert by Yoruba Elders by Guestlander: 9:43pm On Jan 22, 2018
zendy:

Lol

Or

I don't think it is rare at all in the Yoruba nation. We achieve whatever we set our minds to achieve. History will bear us witness on that. If we decide to leave Nigeria, be rest assured Nigeria is finished. We are not ibos.

1 Like 1 Share

Re: "Restructure Nigeria or We Leave" Punch Advert by Yoruba Elders by Guestlander: 9:44pm On Jan 22, 2018
Sprumbabafather:

Buharri is a genius, that is why we want him to continue till 2089 grin

sai baba

The issues at hand is beyond individuals. This is not about Buhari or Jonathan. We are talking about the lives of millions of people here.
Re: "Restructure Nigeria or We Leave" Punch Advert by Yoruba Elders by Sprumbabafather: 9:46pm On Jan 22, 2018
Guestlander:

I don't think it is rare at all in the Yoruba nation. We achieve whatever we set our minds to achieve. History will bear us witness on that. If we decide to leave Nigeria be rest assured Nigeria is finished. We are not ibos.

We are watching, in the next 10 years I will remember this newspaper advert and laugh with it. I will remember the most toothless people in Africa who are all steam and no action.

1 Like 1 Share

Re: "Restructure Nigeria or We Leave" Punch Advert by Yoruba Elders by konoplyanka: 9:46pm On Jan 22, 2018
Sprumbabafather:

1967-1970.

When did Yorubas even attempt to to pull their heads out of the butthole of the fulanis?
Lol. Secede where?

There was never a need to.
Re: "Restructure Nigeria or We Leave" Punch Advert by Yoruba Elders by 2badForReal: 9:47pm On Jan 22, 2018
Good morning my people !!!!!!

1 Like

Re: "Restructure Nigeria or We Leave" Punch Advert by Yoruba Elders by kabarka(m): 9:47pm On Jan 22, 2018
xynerise:
grin na now their eyes open
I join you by saying to them:Gudmorning!!

1 Like

Re: "Restructure Nigeria or We Leave" Punch Advert by Yoruba Elders by Guestlander: 9:49pm On Jan 22, 2018
Sprumbabafather:

We are watching, in the next 10 years I will remember this newspaper advert and laugh with it. I will remember the most toothless people in Africa who are all steam and no action.

Copy and save it for posterity. Nigeria in 10 years will be different from Nigeria of today.
We don't beat our chests for nothing like some folks.
Re: "Restructure Nigeria or We Leave" Punch Advert by Yoruba Elders by Sprumbabafather: 9:50pm On Jan 22, 2018
Guestlander:

The issues at hand is beyond individuals. This is not about Buhari or Jonathan. We are talking about the lives of millions of people here.

Did you or your people remember people had a life and could die when you are backing the wrong horse in 2015?

We screamed, we shouted ourselves hoarse, we tried everything to make you see reason but you were fixated like a hypnotised person on the greed of being the VP.

Now after a wrecked economy, high fuel prices, hopelessness and uncountable murders of innocent people, you guys are trying to pull a fast one on us by shouting restructuring?

Whoever trusts your people will be betrayed.

5 Likes 1 Share

Re: "Restructure Nigeria or We Leave" Punch Advert by Yoruba Elders by omonnakoda: 9:52pm On Jan 22, 2018
Guestlander:

He never did. He chanted biafra or death and started acting like a delusional Jewish fanatic.
Why argue blindly.
He said in a particular video and
I quote

I DID NOT SAY RESTRUCTURING

He said this very categorically so there was no doubt that he did not want restructuring

Maybe we have a different understanding of what MENTION means.
Re: "Restructure Nigeria or We Leave" Punch Advert by Yoruba Elders by nextstep(m): 9:52pm On Jan 22, 2018
Guestlander:

I can understand and appreciate this. But if state governors looked inwards and capitalized on their unique strengths, they won't need to go hand in cap, and over decades, can assert more and more of their own independence and authority (which is really only possible with growing economic strength). This would actually be much more productive than the calls for restructuring which - by itself - won't put food in peoples stomachs, or suddenly result in great healthcare.

You mentioned the existing constitution was carefully negotiated by the federating units... including the ones clamoring for break away. Weren't they the same who agreed to the Constitutions, and to be bound by them?

When IPOB was doing its own nonsense last year, I said the same thing... Igboland would be much better served focusing on improving economic conditions, and grooming its children so they become part of the ruling elite. As an example: an Igbo child is more likely to go into trade than to go into government administration. Conversely, you'll find a lot of Hausa/Fulani children going into the civil service as recruits/clerks/porters/guard/cleaners. As the years go by and promotions are made, the core of leaders in the civil service will consist mostly of people in the civil service (i.e. Hausa).

Yes, there is solid evidence of Northerisation agenda, as made explicit by Sir Ahmadu Bello (who I respect for his position and efforts towards his people, yet am sincerely disappointed in his positions towards people like me not from the North), and being continued till this day under Buhari.

Nevertheless, I think we have made great progress away from the mindset of people born before Independence. I think we owe it to future generations of Nigerians to continue to seek more fruitful ways of nation building together, rather than seeking the exit at every opportunity, in spite of whether we were thrown together in a marriage of convenience or not.
Re: "Restructure Nigeria or We Leave" Punch Advert by Yoruba Elders by Guestlander: 9:53pm On Jan 22, 2018
konoplyanka:

Lol. Secede where?

There was never a need to.

How come a PHD holder led ibos to reject a secession clause in the constitution! Papa Awo saw what could happen. Perhaps they shouldn't have called it a secession clause but a "break of agreement clause" which states that any undemocratic change in the Constitution will render it null and void.
Re: "Restructure Nigeria or We Leave" Punch Advert by Yoruba Elders by Sprumbabafather: 9:54pm On Jan 22, 2018
Guestlander:

Copy and save it for posterity. Nigeria in 10 years will be different from Nigeria of today.
We don't beat our chests for nothing like some folks.

Its copied, just pray you will not be typing from Togo then after your state has become a grazing field for cattle while you hide behind your computer and type in fear.
Re: "Restructure Nigeria or We Leave" Punch Advert by Yoruba Elders by Guestlander: 9:55pm On Jan 22, 2018
nextstep:

I can understand and appreciate this. But if state governors looked inwards and capitalized on their unique strengths, they won't need to go hand in cap, and over decades, can assert more and more of their own independence and authority (which is really only possible with growing economic strength). This would actually be much more productive than the calls for restructuring which - by itself - won't put food in peoples stomachs, or suddenly result in great healthcare.

You mentioned the existing constitution was carefully negotiated by the federating units... including the ones clamoring for break away. Weren't they the same who agreed to the Constitutions, and to be bound by them?

When IPOB was doing its own nonsense last year, I said the same thing... Igboland would be much better served focusing on improving economic conditions, and grooming its children so they become part of the ruling elite. As an example: an Igbo child is more likely to go into trade than to go into government administration. Conversely, you'll find a lot of Hausa/Fulani children going into the civil service as recruits/clerks/porters/guard/cleaners. As the years go by and promotions are made, the core of leaders in the civil service will consist mostly of people in the civil service (i.e. Hausa).

Yes, there is solid evidence of Northerisation agenda, as made explicit by Sir Ahmadu Bello (who I respect for his position and efforts towards his people, yet am sincerely disappointed in his positions towards people like me not from the North), and being continued till this day under Buhari.

Nevertheless, I think we have made great progress away from the mindset of people born before Independence. I think we owe it to future generations of Nigerians to continue to seek more fruitful ways of nation building together, rather than seeking the exit at every opportunity, in spite of whether we were thrown together in a marriage of convenience or not.

I meant the independence constitution, not the current one. The current one was written by the military.

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (Reply)

Crowd Welcome The Army & CJTF After Victory Against Boko Haram [Photos] / Sanwo-Olu Threatens To Ban NURTW In Lagos If They Fail To Conduct Themselves / Immigration Officers Slap Shuaib Yusuf Oladayo (LG Chairman) In Ibadan

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 72
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.