Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,154,182 members, 7,821,992 topics. Date: Thursday, 09 May 2024 at 12:05 AM

Why Was Ojukwu Given A State Burial By Nigerian Government? - Politics (4) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / Why Was Ojukwu Given A State Burial By Nigerian Government? (38328 Views)

Wike Thanks Buhari For Refunding N78.9bn To Rivers, Appeals For A State Visit / Atiku's Us Visa Ban Still In Place, Given A Waiver For January Visit -bloomberg / Alex Ekwueme’s State Burial: FG Inaugurates Committee (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Why Was Ojukwu Given A State Burial By Nigerian Government? by AK481(m): 9:19pm On Jan 23, 2018
True talk.
But there was a greater danger if you don’t bury him with honour.

There was “ serious Biafra reawakening tension “ then,his body was moved to various states and countries that recognized Biafra,I could remember the one in TBS the world igbos attended ,shops was locked,

But....

Masson wanted to bury him,the money was there,the local and international press was there,it was the best thing for Nigeria to do.

How I wish m post was in the front page.
Re: Why Was Ojukwu Given A State Burial By Nigerian Government? by perryy(m): 9:21pm On Jan 23, 2018
Dfire:
Please can you explain this better? Reconciliation to who?

Did he just wake up and started a war with Nigeria? What led to the war? We're he and his people not massacred by the northerners ? Did Hausa FULANI not show them hatred by murdering thousands of them in cold blood ?

Those that gave him state burial know that he was pushed to wall and to war.

2 Likes

Re: Why Was Ojukwu Given A State Burial By Nigerian Government? by AK481(m): 9:21pm On Jan 23, 2018
Lipscomb:
Jonathan did so because of his relationship with IBO's .if its this present administration he die ? The family will buried their corpse. Ojukwu don't deserve state burial.

No Biafra will
Re: Why Was Ojukwu Given A State Burial By Nigerian Government? by engrchykae(m): 9:22pm On Jan 23, 2018
velai:
But without the federal support, Igbos would still give him a statesman burial. Ojukwu was our hero; Ojukwu is still our hero! O'mpa!
that's why we drink ojukwu in Hero.
O'mpa

2 Likes

Re: Why Was Ojukwu Given A State Burial By Nigerian Government? by Benekruku(m): 9:27pm On Jan 23, 2018
After leading 3,000,000 of kinsmen to there graves, He deserves a more elaborate burial ceremony.

3 Likes

Re: Why Was Ojukwu Given A State Burial By Nigerian Government? by Emmahunk(m): 9:27pm On Jan 23, 2018
Late Chief Chukwuemeka Odumegwu Ojukwu, the Ikemba Nnewi is a name that will continue to send shivers down the spine of haters. I stand by this, not as an Igbo because I hate tribalism with a passion but because he paid his dues and Nigeria's history will never be complete without that name.
However, if my memory is not failing me, I wonder if the presence of the Army made his burial a 'State burial' even when it was more than one. If I recall vividly, Senator Andy Uba moved a motion to honour the late Ikemba with a State burial but was turned down on the grounds of some flimsy excuses. Guess that was when the then Eastern Governors and well wishers took over the burden of according him a befitting burial.
Please forgive me and correct me if I am wrong while I pass on any rude reply.

2 Likes

Re: Why Was Ojukwu Given A State Burial By Nigerian Government? by engrchykae(m): 9:35pm On Jan 23, 2018
Throwback:
Jonathan obviously did it to appease his Igbo backbone that still crumbled when met by the full weight of the country.

If he had died under Obasanjo or Yar 'Adua, he would have been buried by only his family.
somebody like ojukwu cannot be left for his immediate family alone to bury.
He is the king of the igbos and in igboland,kings are public responsibility.
Our traditional ruler that died last year was an example.
Every man and woman and youths inclusive contributed.
Men paid 1000
women paid 500 while youths paid 500.
The southeast would have given Ojukwu a better befitting burial than the nigerian nonsense.
All the masquerades from the east would have graced the occasion.
The igbos can afford to run the burial for one full month in each of the eastern state...
Ebonyi,abia,imo,enugu will take turns until the grand finale in his umudim home in nnewi.
Igbo zuru ezu ma uma,

6 Likes

Re: Why Was Ojukwu Given A State Burial By Nigerian Government? by bibe(m): 9:36pm On Jan 23, 2018
Dfire:

Imagine the Benue killings, then amplify it by 100, it still pales in comparison to the igbos who lost their lives. That was why he wanted out and defended his people.

Nigeria realised her mistake but is too proud to apologise, hence the state burial. Ojukwu was not the problem, Nigeria was and still is.

3 Likes

Re: Why Was Ojukwu Given A State Burial By Nigerian Government? by Nobody: 9:40pm On Jan 23, 2018
Dfire:
www.nairaland.com/attachments/6594015_screenshot20180123195431_jpegf276bd492b0ca8de8df080b93884bbd0

Does this make sense to you? A man who led a bloody war for what reason exactly could they have buried this man a man who hated Nigeria buried like a patriot does that make sense to you?
Nigeria the ironic nation

www.nairaland.com/attachments/6590611_images112_jpeg3ea1b00fa3debec875574a595d22874b

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9eIvHihMFME

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jUliAlj4U8A
this is a mere outburst,I sense "hate". You are just an adult with a childish mind. Some people with epic reply below will give u a sit
Re: Why Was Ojukwu Given A State Burial By Nigerian Government? by engrchykae(m): 9:44pm On Jan 23, 2018
Dfire:
typical ipobian response Ojukwu has always been a Nigerian can't you see that he was ordered by Gowon to start the Biafra war he was very good he pretended to defend you while all he did was give Nigeria a very good opportunity to finish you, that's why he was granted amnesty that's why they buried him with military honors a good soldier who followed orders.... There you happy now grin
i see that you are in pain...
To think that adekunle died miserably without such honours after enduring the mosquitoes in the riverine areas of Bonny during the battle for port Harcourt.
You want to hate igbo more than hausafulani,you are on a long thing..
Endure it abeg.

3 Likes 1 Share

Re: Why Was Ojukwu Given A State Burial By Nigerian Government? by LZAA: 9:59pm On Jan 23, 2018
Chukazu:

How do you expect him to know...he can't read up, the federal government has stopped the teaching of history so as to manipulate the truth. So pity him
its a real pity
smh

1 Like

Re: Why Was Ojukwu Given A State Burial By Nigerian Government? by EfiIgbo(m): 10:04pm On Jan 23, 2018
Peter Obi was governor of Anambra then Gej was president. .their relationship was cordial because the Apga party works with pdp. . A northern or south west politicians will never have a state burial for Ojukwu
Re: Why Was Ojukwu Given A State Burial By Nigerian Government? by Nobody: 10:20pm On Jan 23, 2018
velai:
But without the federal support, Igbos would have been unable to give him a statesman burial. Ojukwu was coward; Ojukwu is still coward! O'mpa!

I agree with you, Ojukwu was a coward!
Re: Why Was Ojukwu Given A State Burial By Nigerian Government? by yommen: 10:24pm On Jan 23, 2018
He was a soldier. He fought for what was suppposed to be freedom of his people. Although he failed, he made his mark in the history of a nation. His contribution to Nigerianhood would have beena great one, our present day leaders wouldnt just turn up.

1 Like

Re: Why Was Ojukwu Given A State Burial By Nigerian Government? by yommen: 10:29pm On Jan 23, 2018
Lipscomb:
Jonathan did so because of his relationship with IBO's .if its this present administration he die ? The family will buried their corpse. Ojukwu don't deserve state burial.

Any government ought to do so!

1 Like

Re: Why Was Ojukwu Given A State Burial By Nigerian Government? by Nobody: 10:36pm On Jan 23, 2018
Chai see insults I'm getting please use logic and proper reason like the humans you are, stop using stupid sentiments here
Re: Why Was Ojukwu Given A State Burial By Nigerian Government? by Nobody: 10:38pm On Jan 23, 2018
yztak:

Thinking like a cow
whos the cow here a man who nearly destroyed the country buried by his enemies think
Re: Why Was Ojukwu Given A State Burial By Nigerian Government? by Nobody: 10:40pm On Jan 23, 2018
Memories12411:

It is not late you have saliva you can go to his grave and spit.
I will if it wasn't heavily military guarded
Re: Why Was Ojukwu Given A State Burial By Nigerian Government? by Nobody: 10:41pm On Jan 23, 2018
perryy:

Did he just wake up and started a war with Nigeria? What led to the war? We're he and his people not massacred by the northerners ? Did Hausa FULANI not show them hatred by murdering thousands of them in cold blood ?

Those that gave him state burial know that he was pushed to wall and to war.
my point precisely he was buried by the Hausa fulani
Re: Why Was Ojukwu Given A State Burial By Nigerian Government? by Nobody: 10:44pm On Jan 23, 2018
ozimec:

Because he was a true Nigerian,
A patriot, who fought against injustices, subjugation and inequality
A detribalized Nigerian
He was a Nigerian before he became an Igbo man
Because even those that fought him knew he was right
I can list more reasons......
Remember, some who claimed to be Nigeria then are today fighting only for the interest of their region at the detriment of others
Remember he killed major ifeajunna because he tried to prevent the Biafra war now was ifeajunna buried with military honors I doubt you know the meaning of patriot
Re: Why Was Ojukwu Given A State Burial By Nigerian Government? by Nobody: 10:45pm On Jan 23, 2018
Dfire:
www.nairaland.com/attachments/6594015_screenshot20180123195431_jpegf276bd492b0ca8de8df080b93884bbd0

Does this make sense to you? A man who led a bloody war for what reason exactly could they have buried this man a man who hated Nigeria buried like a patriot does that make sense to you?
Nigeria the ironic nation

www.nairaland.com/attachments/6590611_images112_jpeg3ea1b00fa3debec875574a595d22874b

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9eIvHihMFME

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jUliAlj4U8A

Bad belle no go kill u.

Yoruba n Hausa started the civil war in Nigeria.

1 Like

Re: Why Was Ojukwu Given A State Burial By Nigerian Government? by Nobody: 10:47pm On Jan 23, 2018
jmichael259:

Your speech is full of ignorance and hate! Osama Bin Laden was reportedly buried in accordance with muslim rites by the same people who hunted him. Soldiers and officers are giving military parade burial even if they were captured as saboteurs or war prisoners.

Ojukwu was a general in the nigerian army and recieved pension till death. Ojukwu was the prime minister of the entire eastern region. He is a decorated man in battle. Biafra was annexed back into nigeria and recieved amnesty under no victor no vanquished decree. Therefore his gallantry remains part of nigeria's history and Ojukwu remains a veteran of nigerian army. In life there is no permanent friend, no permanent enemy!

LEADING A BREAK AWAY AND PLAYING A MASSIVE ROLE IN PEACEFUL REUNIFICATION BY SURRENDERING AND TOTALLY ABANDONING WAR CRIES INSTEAD EMBRACING DEMOCRACY AND LEADING A CHARGE TOWARDS POLICTICAL PARTICIPATION DESERVES MORE THAN STATE BURIAL!
a general who tried to destroy the country you're making sense
Re: Why Was Ojukwu Given A State Burial By Nigerian Government? by Nobody: 10:48pm On Jan 23, 2018
Lipscomb:

and Buhari deserves a national n multinational burial

1 Like

Re: Why Was Ojukwu Given A State Burial By Nigerian Government? by Nobody: 10:48pm On Jan 23, 2018
PrecisionFx:

Bad belle no go kill u.

Yoruba n Hausa started the civil war in Nigeria.
and they buried him
Re: Why Was Ojukwu Given A State Burial By Nigerian Government? by Nobody: 10:50pm On Jan 23, 2018
Nova15:

Someone who was the formal governor of the eastern region? Why won't he be given a state burial?

Oga think we'll before you open useless threads and typing rubbish. Anuofia!! angry angry
he was appointed governor by aguiyi ironsi who actually dealt with
Re: Why Was Ojukwu Given A State Burial By Nigerian Government? by Nobody: 10:52pm On Jan 23, 2018
Dfire:
The more reason why they should spit at his grave, are you kidding me millions of people died because of him, the amnesty was more than enough, but a befitting burial? They just crossed the line of logic

The igbos who died in millions aren't complaining.......���... And this 17 year old afonja is crying on our behalf grin.

3 Likes

Re: Why Was Ojukwu Given A State Burial By Nigerian Government? by Nobody: 10:52pm On Jan 23, 2018
dieBYfire:

Mr Man,
Ojukwu was a respected Nigerian Soldier, and his exile during the civil war paved way for reconciliation ( the exile was part of the deal anyways) . And if you got a problem with that , anytime your d^d dies, I just hope boys scout or Fire service will give him a befitting burial. Idiats everywhere angry
Exile? Really? More like a vacation
Re: Why Was Ojukwu Given A State Burial By Nigerian Government? by Nobody: 10:53pm On Jan 23, 2018
PrecisionFx:

The igbos who died in millions aren't complaining.......���... And this 17 year old afonja is crying on our behalf grin.
I am a Nigerian it's my country I doubt the patriotism of Nigerian government
Re: Why Was Ojukwu Given A State Burial By Nigerian Government? by Nobody: 10:55pm On Jan 23, 2018
affable4:
This Dfire guy is just here displaying ignorance and stupidity combined. What do you know about military and governance? If Major Kaduna Nzeogwu was given a befitting burial by Nigeria when his body was discovered at the initial stage of the war, why not Ojukwu.
If you know nothing, try to read. History is written for the new generation to know what happened. All of you will just come online to call names and spew rubbish. I bet if you read books on the biafran way(by Obasanjo, Frederick Forsyth, Ojukwu, and others) you will hv a different view about this whole thing?.
Ask yourself why was major ifeajunna not given a befitting burial a man who died in the name of Nigeria
Re: Why Was Ojukwu Given A State Burial By Nigerian Government? by stagger: 10:57pm On Jan 23, 2018
Dfire:

A nut has fallen off your head. Go and read the history of Nigeria from 1914 till date. Do you even know what led to that war? You think someone will just head to war like that?

Well, Ojukwu was given a state burial. You will probably be given a nobody's burial when your time is up. Juvenile cretin!

5 Likes

Re: Why Was Ojukwu Given A State Burial By Nigerian Government? by laudate: 10:58pm On Jan 23, 2018
engrchykae:
somebody like ojukwu cannot be left for his immediate family alone to bury.
He is the king of the igbos and in igboland,kings are public responsibility.
Our traditional ruler that died last year was an example.
Every man and woman and youths inclusive contributed.
Men paid 1000
women paid 500 while youths paid 500.
The southeast would have given Ojukwu a better befitting burial than the nigerian nonsense.
All the masquerades from the east would have graced the occasion.
The igbos can afford to run the burial for one full month in each of the eastern state...
Ebonyi,abia,imo,enugu will take turns until the grand finale in his umudim home in nnewi.
Igbo zuru ezu ma uma,

What happened to the money that was contributed by each man and woman, including the youths? shocked

2 Likes

Re: Why Was Ojukwu Given A State Burial By Nigerian Government? by Nobody: 10:59pm On Jan 23, 2018
Stupid sentimental ipobians all over the place with this kind of people Nigeria no get hope Nigerians will suffer
Please God gave you a mind for a reason use it

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (Reply)

Photos From My journey to ph Today, Owerri port harcourt Road How Bad It Is / Niger Delta Kids Are Drinking Polluted Water Because Of Oil Spillage (pics) / Edward Onoja Replaces Simon Achuba As Kogi Deputy Governor

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 97
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.