Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,152,448 members, 7,816,036 topics. Date: Friday, 03 May 2024 at 12:12 AM

2 Masters Degrees - Jobs/Vacancies - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Jobs/Vacancies / 2 Masters Degrees (1227 Views)

Are NOUN Degrees Well Recognised By Major Employers? / #60,000 Salary Job Or Masters Degree? Please Advise Me / Degrees Vs Experience, Which Helps You Get A Job Faster? (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

2 Masters Degrees by ONOSEN(f): 5:48am On Mar 03, 2007
Hello there, Im thinking of relocating to nigeria, can any one tell me possible jobs i can get with 2 masters degrees?

By the way How can I go about getting a job with the uN?

Msc Medical Sociology

Msc Globalization & Development
Re: 2 Masters Degrees by kayusman(m): 1:52pm On Mar 03, 2007
Hello Onosen, Its good to know that you are planning to relocate back to Nigeria when most of your brethren are thinking of making it to "oyinbo land". By the way i guess u are either in Ethiopia or Sudan for you to contemplate relocation but if on the contrary you happen to be based in USA or UK then i must commend your guts. Nevertheless to answer your first question as to what job you can get with those two masters degree of yours i will suggest you try a lecturing job or better still a social work based job.The truth is that employees here in Nigeria normally accord holders of foriegn degrees a greater respect than thier Nigerian colleagues. As regards the UN job you will do well in UNICEF. However they usually ask for experience. On the other hand you can apply to the world bank junior program. Best of Luck
Re: 2 Masters Degrees by juzme: 2:50pm On Mar 03, 2007
Hi I think the guy tht is guess about Onosen's location is wrong.  there are people who are educated in various location in western world that will like to come back to there country and work. Moreover, the western world is not as we think them to be. there are people there who are jobless and who can afford their living. the diference there is just that there are social securities that is giving to jobless people.
It does necessarily mean only people in Sudan or other poor countries that will like to come back to Nigeria and find job.
Infact, there is nothing like being in your country where you hve every freedom and no discrimination.
So Mr Onosen if you have made up your mind to come back to Nigeria (tht is if you are Nigeian) you should may secure a job in some university like th UN you mention or any other organistion. Even some oil companies in Nigeria are looking for people who studied abroad and will want to come home and work.
Re: 2 Masters Degrees by Kashif(m): 10:13am On Mar 05, 2007
@kayusman

Misyaning angry angry
Re: 2 Masters Degrees by Nobody: 10:44am On Mar 05, 2007
Sorry I really do not think that this guy is in US of A or Igi_Landi(England) O!! Because if he is there he shouldn't have been asking for info on UN, haba Jammaa!! All the way from USA and you are still asking us here in Nigeria about UN again! To me that is very funny!!
Anyway wherever you are comming from, you are wellcome back home, sweet home I say! Expect enough power failure, if same is not applicable where you are coming from and do not expect any water supply, better go and buy enough containers to fetch water. You may be lucky to get find a job, since you are coming with oversea certificate!
Re: 2 Masters Degrees by ONOSEN(f): 12:56pm On Mar 05, 2007
Hey guys, thank u all for your suggestions.  grin . I am not Mr  I am Miss and I am a Nigerian  based in London where I studied.  Oladiran Na wa o. I'm not scared of my home land , after all I lived there before my soujourn abroad  grin. I'm inquiring about the United nations because I have tried getting into it over here and one of my professors advised that it would be easier to get into from my country of origin. So I'll keep my fingers crossed and take the mighty plunge.    [b]Thank u guys for ur advice [/b] wink
Re: 2 Masters Degrees by DewDrop(f): 2:34pm On Mar 05, 2007
Onosen,  you sound like me  2years ago. I hope my experience can help you. I finished in New York with 2 masters degree also (International Studies & Economic Policy) and wanted to do the UN thing in Naija- Seriously who wouldn't want to get paid in $$ to live in Naija?! So what happened?

Well I applied to work UN in Nigeria, got the job (yay!)  grin
(I think it was deinately easier here because everybody in with a Intl Relations or Developmental degree wants to work for the UN !!I had an advantage there but not too much so I applied through vacancies posted in Nigeria. And voila was shortlisted and since i was home on vacay- interviewed and was offered a contract (2 yr) position.
So why am I at PwC now u ask?

Well in the process of trying to get a work permit 4 me, my dual citizenship was dicovered and i was asked 4 my NYSC discharge certificate!! shocked

Due to past abuses, the UN will not request/ post corpers to a contract project, blah blah blah
So now i'm at a decent firm completing my NYSC and the next contract job that comes up- i'll go for it post service.

Why go for contract jobs? well that's usually what the UN offers. Even here- u can't just land and get the best job at the UN, you gotta work your way up!

So i suggest that unless you can get the job there to work here, sort out that NYSC thing first then drop your CV in nigerian 4 nigerian jobs, 

there isn't a shortcut to say because u finished, you'd be automatically granted a job, The job market is quite competitive with alot of foreign trained nationals whove published, have funstional NGOs and all that.

Good Luck and think it all through before you leap.
Re: 2 Masters Degrees by juzme: 2:51pm On Mar 05, 2007
i think it is quite difficult to get a white colar job abroad if you posses a good quality. although it is quite easier in US as i have been told. You will either get jobs that you may not like in europe.
If you are seeking for employment in UN. i think you dont have to be in Nigeria to get job there. I guess UN usually post people to various countries. you can apply for their Job in the internet. there are various vacancies on different UN branch websites. so better search for it. But if i will advise you better seek for job in banks or Oil companies in Nigeria. you will stand a better advantage of getting employed in these sectors with your qualification.
Good Luck!
Re: 2 Masters Degrees by abiban(f): 6:55pm On Mar 05, 2007
hello house!

stumbled on this site when I was surf bored one day. I must say it is really cool! I like d way everyone seems to have the next person's back.

I am job hunting and will like advice on where I can get pd really well. long hours don't scare me. I finish my Msc Finance in May, passed some papers in ACCA and will be sitting for d CFA as well.

will love ur advice!
undecided cool

(1) (Reply)

Nlng- Urgent / Asp Recruitment / Maersk

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 26
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.