Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,152,849 members, 7,817,513 topics. Date: Saturday, 04 May 2024 at 01:32 PM

Why Nigerians Are Fleeing Nigeria - Travel - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Travel / Why Nigerians Are Fleeing Nigeria (1401 Views)

6 Strong Reasons Why Nigerians In The UK Are So 'stingy' / What’s So Special About The UK That Nigerians Are Fleeing To? / Fleeing To The US ... A Word To The Wise. (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

Why Nigerians Are Fleeing Nigeria by Opinionated: 3:41pm On Jan 24, 2018
That there is a strong desire in many Nigerians to exit the country is not in doubt, this trend started in the 80s, remember the “Andrew, no check out O” line in the song “Nigeria go survive”? The song was released by Veno Marioghae in 1985.

So, we found this interesting question on the popular question and answer website, Quora: Why are Nigerians fleeing Nigeria?

A Nigerian living in Canada since 2012, Uche Metuh, gives a classic answer:

I can’t speak for others but I know why I left.

Apart from some personal reasons, I wanted to get my Masters degree.

I wasn’t going to go back to my undergraduate school. What else would they teach me?

I also wasn’t going to grovel to get other Nigerian universities to accept me.

So I up & left the country.

I didn’t plan to flee the country. I kept an open mind about either countries. I still do.

However, when I graduated, Canada gave me a 3-year work permit.

Before that was up, I had applied to become a permanent resident & it was approved.

I was like, “These people really want me here. Maybe I’ll stay…… for now”

I’m not ignorant about the country’s seemingly ceaseless misfortunes sad. I have a budding project which many Nigerians might benefit from.

About other fleeing Nigerians, I have 1 currently at my place . Here are some of their reasons:

“I want structure & order in my life. Nigeria doesn’t have that nor is she planning for that”
“Nigeria is the land of cunning people. I can’t cope because I have no cunning bone in me”
“The schools are crappy. I can afford better so, BYE!”
“I couldn’t get a job. Let me go hustle in another country”
“Healthcare, security, women’s rights, standard of living are nightmarish experiences. I’m out!”

Fleeing Nigeria isn’t wrong.

I just don’t want those of us who’ve fled to forget the plight of those we left behind.

Another respondent, Ngozi Stanley Obi, an ex-banker turn entrepreneur counters this view stating:

Nigerians are fleeing Nigeria, out of ignorance.

They mistakenly believe that life will be better for them outside Nigeria.

I once met a Chinese doing business in Nigeria, who told me about the numerous opportunities in Nigeria that Nigerians leave to go and risk their lives abroad.

The odd jobs these Nigerians are prepared to do while abroad, they will never consider doing in Nigeria .

While the hardship of recession is challenging, one can still survive with diligence, persistence and careful planning.

Most Nigerians that have travelled abroad before never fall prey to the desperate Atlantic crossings.

The traffickers are brain washing people to believe they can easily pick dollars outside the shores of Nigeria.

We need more awareness and strategies to combat poverty.

So, what do you think? Are you a Nigerian outside Nigeria, why did you leave? Are you planning to leave, why will you leave?

source: http://www.opinions.ng/nigerians-fleeing-nigeria/

cc: lalasticlala mynd44

1 Like

Re: Why Nigerians Are Fleeing Nigeria by kabeerhabe(m): 3:45pm On Jan 24, 2018
hmmm
Re: Why Nigerians Are Fleeing Nigeria by HeyCorleone(m): 3:49pm On Jan 24, 2018
I feel what every reasonable person should be doing now is to quit praying for Nigeria and rather focus on working towards getting the means to emigrate. I am a Nigerian leaving in Nigeria but every thing I'm doing right now is just so I can leave this country. I know some people would say we should change things in 2019 but they don't understand that it's still gonna be the same system. the same status quo so it doesn't really matter who they vote in.

No I am not of the opinion that outside the Country is a bed of roses, but I sincerely and honestly opine to the fact that anywhere is better than here. Nigeria has failed. Let us not mince words.

I pray God grants me, and everyone else about that dream, the means to exit this country.

3 Likes 1 Share

Re: Why Nigerians Are Fleeing Nigeria by eezeribe(m): 4:24pm On Jan 24, 2018
Opinions would always differ....
Re: Why Nigerians Are Fleeing Nigeria by sunnysunny69(m): 4:28pm On Jan 24, 2018
I left so I can lay foundation for my generations to come, sorry to say Nigeria is indeed a sh1t hole. Still a Nigerian but my offsprings may never ever suffered as much as I did growing up. I thank God life has been good so far.
Re: Why Nigerians Are Fleeing Nigeria by Nobody: 10:37am On Jan 25, 2018
HeyCorleone:
I feel what every reasonable person should be doing now is to quit praying for Nigeria and rather focus on working towards getting the means to emigrate. I am a Nigerian leaving in Nigeria but every thing I'm doing right now is just so I can leave this country. I know some people would say we should change things in 2019 but they don't understand that it's still gonna be the same system. the same status quo so it doesn't really matter who they vote in.

No I am not of the opinion that outside the Country is a bed of roses, but I sincerely and honestly opine to the fact that anywhere is better than here. Nigeria has failed. Let us not mince words.

I pray God grants me, and everyone else about that dream, the means to exit this country.

God bless you brother. You have said it all.
Op, no one thinks you get things on a silver platter outide Nigeria but the fact remains that the system works which is what matters. The government performs it's duties and makes life bearable for the masses which is apparently an abomination for the Nigerian government. As for people doing the jobs they wouldn't do here, abroad, think about this; there are hourly wages over there. Firms are obligated by law to pay nothing below those wages, coupled with the high standard of living, people can afford to live decent lives there.

This is the difference from my understanding;
USA
Man works in a cafeteria, earns $10 an hr * 6 hrs a day ($60)
$60 * 6 days ($360 a week)
$360 * 4 weeks ($1440 a month)
This is excluding other minute jobs he might decide to do.

Pays $300-$350 a month for decent accomodation.
$1440 - $350 = $1090

Nigeria
Man works in a cafeteria from 8am to 6pm everyday of the week.
Earns #25000 at the end of the month.
Rents an ok-ish apartment for #150000 a year.
#150000 ÷ 12 months = Means he has to save #12500 each month to be able to pay his rent. Despite paying this amount, the government doesnt think he is entitled to clean water, security or steady power supply.
#25000 - #12500 = #12500.(How far will this cater for him when you factor in feeding and accomodation?)

The bitter truth is the Nigerian political system is set up for failure no matter what party rules. The system is wired in a way that only the Dangotes, Otedolas and of course the politicians, benefit. We can deceive ourselves all we want but the truth is what it is.

1 Like

Re: Why Nigerians Are Fleeing Nigeria by Nobody: 2:15pm On Jan 25, 2018
africangirl000:

God bless you brother. You have said it all.
Op, no one thinks you get things on a silver platter outide Nigeria but the fact remains that the system works which is what matters. The government performs it's duties and makes life bearable for the masses which is apparently an abomination for the Nigerian government. As for people doing the jobs they wouldn't do here, abroad, think about this; there are hourly wages over there. Firms are obligated by law to pay nothing below those wages, coupled with the high standard of living, people can afford to live decent lives there.

This is the difference from my understanding;
USA
Man works in a cafeteria, earns $10 an hr * 6 hrs a day ($60)
$60 * 6 days ($360 a week)
$360 * 4 weeks ($1440 a month)
This is excluding other minute jobs he might decide to do.

Pays $300-$350 a month for decent accomodation.
$1440 - $350 = $1090

Nigeria
Man works in a cafeteria from 8am to 6pm everyday of the week.
Earns #25000 at the end of the month.
Rents an ok-ish apartment for #150000 a year.
#150000 ÷ 12 months = Means he has to save #12500 each month to be able to pay his rent. Despite paying this amount, the government doesnt think he is entitled to clean water, security or steady power supply.
#25000 - #12500 = #12500.(How far will this cater for him when you factor in feeding and accomodation?)

The bitter truth is the Nigerian political system is set up for failure no matter what party rules. The system is wired in a way that only the Dangotes, Otedolas and of course the politicians, benefit. We can deceive ourselves all we want but the truth is what it is.
u dont forget tax na 30 percent

(1) (Reply)

Jeffrey Ewohime: Nigeria High Commission, UK Offers Home Delivery Of Passport / Top 10 Closest International Boundaries In The World / In Need Of Personal Statement For Masters Admission Abroad

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 47
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.