Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,152,802 members, 7,817,317 topics. Date: Saturday, 04 May 2024 at 10:09 AM

Whose Name Should Be Put On documents of Properties Acquired By Married Couples? - Family (3) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Family / Whose Name Should Be Put On documents of Properties Acquired By Married Couples? (23410 Views)

Long Distance Marriage: How Do You Cope Married Couples In Similiar Situation / Why Is It That Some Married Couples Hardly Wear Their Rings Nowadays? / Man Takes Fight To Father’s Grave Over Sharing Of Properties (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Whose Name Should Be Put On documents of Properties Acquired By Married Couples? by emmansus(f): 7:53am On Jan 27, 2018
Thank God u use d word couples,when u couple things together are still separate.so both are one,one couple one document one name,so if dem separate na their cup of tea.shikena.
Re: Whose Name Should Be Put On documents of Properties Acquired By Married Couples? by dotedote: 8:01am On Jan 27, 2018
LADIES PLEASE BE WARNED
Don't be fooled into believing "Mr & Mrs" has you covered. Events have over time proven this to be a very big mistake on your part. An irreconcilable issue comes up and it's your loss. PLEASE LET THE FULL NAMES OF THE COUPLE BE CLEARLY SPELT OUT ON THE DOCUMENTS cos ONLY the partner whose full names appear on the documents of the property has the legal rights as to its ownership.

3 Likes

Re: Whose Name Should Be Put On documents of Properties Acquired By Married Couples? by neolboy(m): 8:25am On Jan 27, 2018
Jayboi:
I can recall seeing a couple's house documents with both names on it but to me this seem odd. I believe its only the husband's name that should be written there but i can understand how things can turn up in the event of a break up, divorce etc and probably protect the wife's interest judging by the fact that some men can be reckless.
My question now is ....ethically whose name should be put on title deeds of properties acquired as a couple? Matured response pls

In order for the woman to secure her future her name must reflect on the document because if the name written on the document is Mr&Mrs Okechukwu she is not secured because any woman can become Mrs Okechukwu but if her name is Mary then what must appear on the document should be Mr Kelvin Okechukwu and Mrs Mary Okechukwu then she is secured.

4 Likes

Re: Whose Name Should Be Put On documents of Properties Acquired By Married Couples? by Adeevah(m): 8:59am On Jan 27, 2018
The kids
Re: Whose Name Should Be Put On documents of Properties Acquired By Married Couples? by magaji700(m): 9:02am On Jan 27, 2018
The fruit of their marriage (children) .
Re: Whose Name Should Be Put On documents of Properties Acquired By Married Couples? by erico2k2(m): 9:09am On Jan 27, 2018
donstan18:

Point out the difference from your point to mine.
The difference is by law your wife and kids are entitled to all you own of you are no more,spot the difference ? ?
Re: Whose Name Should Be Put On documents of Properties Acquired By Married Couples? by Eazeee(m): 9:10am On Jan 27, 2018
oga provided d 2 are married through d Act, d name on their property is irrelevant. in d event of demise of one of d couple or even divorce, d other is fully protected by law to inherit d property or given a portion as required by law. For those married under customary law like d Muslims, they have their way of sharing somebody's property in d event of death, but for divorce, I Hope you know that Muslim women still retain their maiden names even when they are married & each of d partners obtain properties in their respective names , thus each goes with his or her property in d event of a divorce

2 Likes

Re: Whose Name Should Be Put On documents of Properties Acquired By Married Couples? by donstan18: 9:57am On Jan 27, 2018
erico2k2:

The difference is by law your wife and kids are entitled to all you own of you are no more,spot the difference ? ?

Gotten!
Re: Whose Name Should Be Put On documents of Properties Acquired By Married Couples? by Nobody: 12:01pm On Jan 27, 2018
I would prefer it’s joint registered for our childrens benefit

I don’t intend to divorce him sha praying for a marriage that will stand the test of time

2 Likes

Re: Whose Name Should Be Put On documents of Properties Acquired By Married Couples? by lorhema(f): 12:03pm On Jan 27, 2018
We live in an environment where relations of a man who dies have been known to deprive his wife and children of his property. It makes every sense to have the couple's name written as Kolawole and Onyinye Igbaka on all documents.

It is not broadcast but there are many women who actually paid for the property the couple own even though the deeds reflect both names and the world believes the man purchased the property. That is the oneness of marriage.

I had a colleague who said everything he bought was bought in his wife's name because he knew what his family would do if anything happened to him.

In Lagos, putting both names on deeds means you must provide tax clearances for each person when processing your C of O etc but I believe that the additional finance involved should not be an excuse for using Mr. and Mrs. Somebody in this day and age.

1 Like

Re: Whose Name Should Be Put On documents of Properties Acquired By Married Couples? by Corlina(m): 3:22pm On Jan 27, 2018
In answering this question let's start properly. The question of whose name should be on the property document arises from when the marriage is being consumated. It is required that a proper union should be put together i.e. the traditional, white & court marriage should be in place. When done adequately with the necessary documents signed with witnesses, then the woman goes ahead to properly so a change of name according to law to reflect her new status, then whatever property the husband acquires in their marriage belongs to her & her children. In case of another woman, the first wife has 100% claim over the estate been protected by the law.

1 Like

Re: Whose Name Should Be Put On documents of Properties Acquired By Married Couples? by skylowlow: 10:28pm On Jan 27, 2018
Oyindidi:
Mtcheeeew

Msteeeeeeew..
Re: Whose Name Should Be Put On documents of Properties Acquired By Married Couples? by bukatyne(f): 12:56am On Jan 28, 2018
Jayboi:

thats serious.
i still think trust is key in marriage as long as its properly conducted by the registry. this will protect the wife even if the husband goes on to marry anoda. she will be regarded as the wife by law so i still think Mr & Mrs is just ok. the Mrs here is the wife by law.

Anybody can be Mrs. X

1 Like

Re: Whose Name Should Be Put On documents of Properties Acquired By Married Couples? by ImaIma1(f): 4:13am On Jan 28, 2018
Good question. It depends on the couple and trust. My name is on every single thing we buy down to even electronics,gadgets,kitchen appliances. cheesy

1 Like

Re: Whose Name Should Be Put On documents of Properties Acquired By Married Couples? by DedeNkem: 6:58am On Jan 28, 2018
Jayboi:
I can recall seeing a couple's house documents with both names on it but to me this seem odd. I believe its only the husband's name that should be written there but i can understand how things can turn up in the event of a break up, divorce etc and probably protect the wife's interest judging by the fact that some men can be reckless.
My question now is ....ethically whose name should be put on title deeds of properties acquired as a couple? Matured response pls

Both names. Unless you don't love her enough to trust the marriage would last.

Court doesn't need both names to be on property document to split it. As long as one of you owns it, it is a fair game.
Re: Whose Name Should Be Put On documents of Properties Acquired By Married Couples? by frozen70(f): 9:13am On Jan 28, 2018
[quote author=Jayboi post=64524233]I can recall seeing a couple's house documents with both names on it but to me this seem odd. I believe its only the husband's name that should be written there but i can understand how things can turn up in the event of a break up, divorce etc and probably protect the wife's interest judging by the fact that some men can be reckless.
My question now is ....ethically whose name should be put on title deeds of properties acquired as a couple? Matured response pls[/quote

For couples living livingly and peacefully they can write MR AND MRS FRED JOHN, where the woman contributed more finance they can write MR FRED JOHN AND MRS JANE JOHN. Where the woman contributed all the finance she will write MRS JANE JONES AND CHILDREN SPELLING OUT THE CHILDREN NAMES. But with the consent of the husband. If you go through thses three arrangements of names very well, even if the marriage brake up or divorce or the man marries anoyher wife,the woman has a stand because even in the law court they will follow the date the property were brought. The way the names are written will inform any judge who actually owns the property.
Re: Whose Name Should Be Put On documents of Properties Acquired By Married Couples? by frozen70(f): 9:14am On Jan 28, 2018
Jayboi:
For couples living livingly and peacefully they can write MR AND MRS FRED JOHN, where the woman contributed more finance they can write MR FRED JOHN AND MRS JANE JOHN. Where the woman contributed all the finance she will write MRS JANE JONES AND CHILDREN SPELLING OUT THE CHILDREN NAMES. But with the consent of the husband. If you go through thses three arrangements of names very well, even if the marriage brake up or divorce or the man marries anoyher wife,the woman has a stand because even in the law court they will follow the date the property were brought. The way the names are written will inform any judge who actually owns the property

(1) (2) (3) (Reply)

I’m Fed Up With My Childless Marriage - Wife Tells Court / Is It Wrong For Parents To Display Affection In Front Of Their Children? / Very Important Notice For Parents!!!

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 31
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.