Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,153,043 members, 7,818,102 topics. Date: Sunday, 05 May 2024 at 07:59 AM

Why Igbos And Yorubas Really Need To Collaborate In 2019 - Politics (3) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / Why Igbos And Yorubas Really Need To Collaborate In 2019 (3264 Views)

Atiku Plays Video Clips To Collaborate Evidence At Tribunal / Did The Yorubas Really Vote Buhari In As Their President / "Igbos And Yorubas Are Embarrasing Nigeria" - Verified Fulani Twitter User Says (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Why Igbos And Yorubas Really Need To Collaborate In 2019 by Shuku0kukobambi: 5:38pm On Jan 29, 2018
laudate:

I actually think Afonja was deceived by Alimi. For all his prowess in battle, he seemed to lack the ability to discern fake friendship from the genuine article. It was really sad.... Alimi was the shrewd one, while Afonja paid for his naivete.

It just goes to show that a man must exercise a great deal of care, in choosing his friends!

Of course he was deceived and he paid for his naivety with his life and the loss of Ilorin. I think the larger yoruba family decided to leave afonja and his people to stew in their own juice hence no real efforts to liberate them. Yoruba land had been engulfed in crises and civil wars since Alaafin Aole's sacrilegious expedition into Apomu, a border town to Ife in 1769. It was in this state of affairs that Afonja rebelled and alimi capitalised. When alimi and his people got fanciful thinking they could push down through yoruba land after initially succeeding at old oyo, Ibadan taught them a lesson and pushed them back to Ilorin in 1837.

This is why my favorite war lesson is "Discretion is the better part of valour"

1 Like

Re: Why Igbos And Yorubas Really Need To Collaborate In 2019 by 7lives: 5:58pm On Jan 29, 2018
laudate:

I actually think Afonja was deceived by Alimi. For all his prowess in battle, he seemed to lack the ability to discern fake friendship from the genuine article. It was really sad.... Alimi was the shrewd one, while Afonja paid for his naivete.

It just goes to show that a man must exercise a great deal of care, in choosing his friends!

It's deeper than this, there was already a CONSTITUTIONAL CRISIS in Oyo empire, even before the Afonja / Aole fight.
What was the difference between Alafin SHANGO, Timi Agbale and Gbonka fight?.
It's still about the Alafin trying to bury their most POWERFUL and POPULAR subjects.
The only difference in SHANGO / Timi / Gbonka fiasco was that the empire was STILL very strong and there was a good replacement for SHANGO in the person of Alafin Ajaka.
The Aole / Afonja episode happened when most vassal States were already asking for Independence.
Also most of the Alafin that came after Aole were merely a shadow of what an Alafin is supposed to be.
It got to a point that Alafin were being changed like diapers.
It became so bad that even a Prime minister, Bashorun Gaha, was IN CHARGE and Alafin became an ordinary sitting duck.
The Fulanis became strong because of the power vacum in Oyo.
And the Yoruba folks in the Ilorin already accept Islam without knowing the consequences of their action.
Re: Why Igbos And Yorubas Really Need To Collaborate In 2019 by LIFEisSIMPLE: 5:58pm On Jan 29, 2018
you disgust me. I pray Allah grants me an opportunity to spit and piss on your grave. I will not insult your region because you do not represent them
wakaman:

Yanmiri, many more of you would die from malnutrition and thirst, like you guys were begging for water first round, ( yanmiri) I dared your monkey folks during the stupid stint of your hunchback albino yanmiri pig Kanu to put up that flag on my street, it would have made my year but no, scared pigs are more of keyboard warriors spit!
God forsaken lot.
Yanmiri die, die.
The world would be a better place without you and your lot.
Re: Why Igbos And Yorubas Really Need To Collaborate In 2019 by wakaman: 6:00pm On Jan 29, 2018
LIFEisSIMPLE:
you disgust me. I pray Allah grants me an opportunity to spit and piss on your grave. I will not insult your region because you do not represent them

Allah does not grant cowardly wishes.
I hate you, wouldn't bat an eyelid to watch you die.
Yanmiri be dead and gone.

1 Like

Re: Why Igbos And Yorubas Really Need To Collaborate In 2019 by LIFEisSIMPLE: 6:05pm On Jan 29, 2018
Dead man walking. Anticipate 2019, for this is the year i will piss on your grave. I SHALL PISS ON YOUR GRAVE so help me God.
wakaman:

Allah does not grant cowardly wishes.
I hate you, wouldn't bat an eyelid to watch you die.
Yanmiri be dead and gone.

1 Like

Re: Why Igbos And Yorubas Really Need To Collaborate In 2019 by PapalsBull(m): 6:09pm On Jan 29, 2018
[s]
ShootToKill:

Afonjarudeen the unity begger. Keep your dirty ewedu mouth glued to Abooki blockus. Stop running away from your master.

grin
[/s]

1 Like

Re: Why Igbos And Yorubas Really Need To Collaborate In 2019 by Chidexter(m): 6:18pm On Jan 29, 2018
OneCorner:
God forbid anything with uncircumcised pigs from the east. They are only known to be deceitful, greedy and callous

they will backstab for the cost of ordinary ugwu leaf.

LOL guy u don finish us.

2 Likes

Re: Why Igbos And Yorubas Really Need To Collaborate In 2019 by PapalsBull(m): 6:23pm On Jan 29, 2018
[s]
ShootToKill:

A snake will continue to be called a snake. The OP is an Afonjarudeen. Igbo don't need yoruba alliance.

Were the yorubas dragged by their balls when they came to Enugu for "handshake". Igbos would rather do peacetalk with ISIS than do peacetalk with you pro-dumbohari muslims of the south. You can go to hell in 765 ways. May God punish any Igbo man that begs ewedurudeens for unity. May leprousy never leave his lineage.

Insha Allah!
[/s]

2 Likes

Re: Why Igbos And Yorubas Really Need To Collaborate In 2019 by AfonjaConehead: 8:03pm On Jan 29, 2018
barrydee:

You see your life?? So Afonja killed an Alafin his brother-man in order for an Emir to be installed as ordered by the Caliphate and you guys are celebrating him.
Well, let me hold my peace here

chai! Sef finishing!

Those ppl are genuine betrayers grin

1 Like

Re: Why Igbos And Yorubas Really Need To Collaborate In 2019 by AfonjaConehead: 8:06pm On Jan 29, 2018
GavelSlam:
After calling them Afonja for 2years .

You've suddenly realised elections are around the corner so entreaties are being made.

Should your candidate lose again the cycle would repeat itself.

Abeg make we hear word.

even mallam,kabubi dey claim afonja,chai grin

Diarisgod o grin

1 Like

Re: Why Igbos And Yorubas Really Need To Collaborate In 2019 by oooduancalmdown: 8:14pm On Jan 29, 2018
vioment:

That's why i say the best course to that is to significantly reduce or outright eliminate those barriers and forge a new one. Bold steps is what am talking about here. We don't act like a desperate people here. When the USA was formed, they dealt with their barriers, eg "all men are created equal", now blacks and others stand on that ground. They are forging a new path. It is time for Nigeria to lead Africa away from tribalism.
Blah blah blah. You guys should stop comparing your shithole with America. America is a country occupied by migrants. Unlike America, Nigeria is a country filled with native tribes. Next time you want to make comparison, mention indigenous countries like Japan or Germany and not America or canada

2 Likes

Re: Why Igbos And Yorubas Really Need To Collaborate In 2019 by Baroba(m): 8:24pm On Jan 29, 2018
wakaman:

Yeah, I hate you yanmiris as you hate me but stronger and deeper.
Get that! Yanmiri.

And quite frankly nobody gives a f""k about nonentities like you, step off you high donkey, you are irrelevant grin grin
Re: Why Igbos And Yorubas Really Need To Collaborate In 2019 by CeterisXVII: 12:15am On Jan 30, 2018
Lot13:
You are a man of peace, but your brothers have done enough damage, and it would take a miracle to salvage the relationship between these two ethnic groups. Yorubas don't look for trouble, but can defend themselves at anytime.

Even if the two groups want peace, the mods will not allow it.

There are some prejudiced and biased mods like Afam4eva and Myndd44, who have their clique of posters that they allow to get away with anything. These posters can post remarks riddled with ethnic slurs like Afonja, scratch face, ewedu goblin, brown roofs etc, (along with tribal marks) in their efforts to disparage or discredit an entire tribe. These mods look away.

But when anyone responds to a member of their clique, by choosing similar uncomplimentary words to describe them or their tribe, they are quick to slam a ban on that respondent, but they often let the main culprit responsible for the initial onslaught of words, to go scot free.

Just let somebody say some uncomplimentary things about IPOB and Kanu, and see how they quickly hit him with a ban, that stretches for several weeks. But they will always leave those who insult other tribes alone. It has become a pattern.

Seun' sees it all and does nothing. That is why his mods get away with such prejuded decisions. Who was it that called them Ministers of witch-hunting? I am beginning to see the person was right, about them.

1 Like

Re: Why Igbos And Yorubas Really Need To Collaborate In 2019 by vioment: 7:08am On Jan 30, 2018
oooduancalmdown:

Blah blah blah. You guys should stop comparing your shithole with America. America is a country occupied by migrants. Unlike America, Nigeria is a country filled with native tribes. Next time you want to make comparison, mention indigenous countries like Japan or Germany and not America or canada

We can compare to america in the sense that if Nigeria is sensible enough to overcome tribalism, then more African will come through, so any sensible govt will plan for that type of scenario. One way to do that is to treat everybody equally, hence "all men are created equal". Africans should know that Nigeria is their home too but eventually, their home is our home too, which will make us African citizens. Our tribal loggerheads is not leading us anywhere, so we need to do something different. Africa will unite to prosper, so your current tribe might be extinct, just like we were once another tribe before our current tribe. My argument is that Nigeria leads in this regards because we are a case study of how Africa overcame tribalism for future generations.
Re: Why Igbos And Yorubas Really Need To Collaborate In 2019 by 7lives: 10:40am On Jan 30, 2018
vioment:

We can compare to america in the sense that if Nigeria is sensible enough to overcome tribalism, then more African will come through, so any sensible govt will plan for that type of scenario. One way to do that is to treat everybody equally, hence "all men are created equal". Africans should know that Nigeria is their home too but eventually, their home is our home too, which will make us African citizens. Our tribal loggerheads is not leading us anywhere, so we need to do something different. Africa will unite to prosper, so your current tribe might be extinct, just like we were once another tribe before our current tribe. My argument is that Nigeria leads in this regards because we are a case study of how Africa overcame tribalism for future generations.

Nigeria overcoming tribalism is like camel passing through the eye of a needle.
Look at the hue and cry about FULANI herdsmen, NA TODAY DEM ENTER NAIJA?.
But because the president is a Fulani, every crime is now being committed by Fulani.
When the Fulani president exit the Aso rock, only God knows the next tribe we shall cry about.
So the best bet is to break this country up, let those of similar back ground join forces, simple.
Re: Why Igbos And Yorubas Really Need To Collaborate In 2019 by vioment: 10:19pm On Jan 30, 2018
7lives:

Nigeria overcoming tribalism is like camel passing through the eye of a needle.
Look at the hue and cry about FULANI herdsmen, NA TODAY DEM ENTER NAIJA?.
But because the president is a Fulani, every crime is now being committed by Fulani.
When the Fulani president exit the Aso rock, only God knows the next tribe we shall cry about.
So the best bet is to break this country up, let those of similar back ground join forces, simple.

You make a valid point but I don't support your conclusion. We have to rise above our differences to bring greatness to Africa. We need to purposely sacrifice for us to begin that process.

(1) (2) (3) (Reply)

Kwara Decides: PDP Takes Early Lead As Military, DSS Takes Over State With Fight / Any Igbo that ask Pdp for Presidential ticket is an Apc mole! / BREAKING: Special Forces Kill Wanted Notorious Militia Leader, Terwase Akwaza

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 43
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.