Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,153,125 members, 7,818,374 topics. Date: Sunday, 05 May 2024 at 01:52 PM

How Are Death Benefits Paid In Nigeria? - Career (3) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Career / How Are Death Benefits Paid In Nigeria? (26253 Views)

Are Locum Doctors And Nurses Well Paid In Nigeria? / How To Get Paid In Bitcoins Without Any Struggle / How Much Are Air Hostesses Or Flight Attendants Paid In Nigeria? (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: How Are Death Benefits Paid In Nigeria? by nex(m): 7:36am On Jan 30, 2018
Amandabannes:
My dad passed on some six years ago, and up till now we have not been able to access the death benefits with premium pensions despite various documentation processes.

Did your dad die in active service?
Re: How Are Death Benefits Paid In Nigeria? by Suspense12(m): 11:43am On Jan 30, 2018
I must confess to you, it's a very long process and you have to be patient.

Step 1: You need to get the National Population Commission death certificate

Step 2: Process the letter of administration with the death certificate, your dad's documents and every siblings details....they will ask for passports (it takes btw 3-5months to process in some states

Step3: Go to the pension administrator and submit detail, fill the forms. You will need the letter of administration at this stage.

Step 4: You will most likely need an attestation or affidavit that you are the next of kin or if there is more than one NOKs

Step 5: Wait for the details to be sent for approval and the will call you at the ministry of justice to come for your cheque...

Any other info.....

2 Likes

Re: How Are Death Benefits Paid In Nigeria? by Amandabannes(f): 4:32pm On Jan 30, 2018
18wheeler:
I understand he deceased was a police officer. I think they withdrew from the contributory pensions scheme (I may be mistaken) so they manage their pensions and death benefits themselves which I cannot say or help as it may. I can only talk of those within the contributory ensigns scheme and can even link you up with someone in premium pensions that can guide you towards getting your full entitlements. You may contact me via text on 08029114448

Can I send you a WhatsApp message on the number? Thanks
Re: How Are Death Benefits Paid In Nigeria? by Amandabannes(f): 4:34pm On Jan 30, 2018
nex:

Did your dad die in active service?

Yes he did, he died 3 years to retirement
Re: How Are Death Benefits Paid In Nigeria? by Amandabannes(f): 4:35pm On Jan 30, 2018
Suspense12:
I must confess to you, it's a very long process and you have to be patient.

Step 1: You need to get the National Population Commission death certificate

Step 2: Process the letter of administration with the death certificate, your dad's documents and every siblings details....they will ask for passports (it takes btw 3-5months to process in some states

Step3: Go to the pension administrator and submit detail, fill the forms. You will need the letter of administration at this stage.

Step 4: You will most likely need an attestation or affidavit that you are the next of kin or if there is more than one NOKs

Step 5: Wait for the details to be sent for approval and the will call you at the ministry of justice to come for your cheque...

Any other info.....

I have done all the above mentioned sir.
Re: How Are Death Benefits Paid In Nigeria? by christiancy(m): 5:21pm On Jan 30, 2018
Keneking:
Paid to the deceased..

Who is the next of kin as per records? Are you sure its you?
Was he a government employee? Local, State or Federal government employee?
'I happen to be the NOK and the family are thinking I have probably been paid the fund.'
- Why the trust issue? Don't you think this statement is strong? Imagine also suspecting that you killed ...so that you can access 41K embarassed
Fool

2 Likes

Re: How Are Death Benefits Paid In Nigeria? by id4sho(m): 7:24pm On Jan 30, 2018
Anthos:
the payment is as follows
insurance
cooperative
gratuity
pension

so

the first step to this is to get a death certificate from national population commission ...local government Don dey give am self after that ...
get your dads passport ...and full picture on police outfit...
after that head go to his pay unit to stop the payment of his salaries... cos government might still be crediting his account and someone is taking it
then
get his pfn no...that's the force no normally written on their cloth
get a poster of his burial to certify he is really dead
get the account number where they do pay him before his death
proceed to the command where your dad served last before his death
meet the admin in charge of insurance ...they will process the insurance for you within one week... you will paid your insurance... after that you will be referred to lions building at ikoyi lagos state to get the cooperative payment too with the letters and documents they will give you

indicate if you understood all I wrote up here before I will continue
understood Sir, carry on
Re: How Are Death Benefits Paid In Nigeria? by Anthos(m): 10:42pm On Jan 30, 2018
id4sho:

understood Sir, carry on
getting to lions building in ikoyi ...tell them you re looking for cooperative office for police ....they will ask for the following
the deceased account NUMBER before he/she died
the PFN number
death benefit... always photography all this documents... and note ...don't give the original to anybody ... I will tell you when to bring out the original copy

letter of identification from court
poster of the deceased
after all this you will be paid the cooperative...within two working days

next is gratuity and pension.,........will be back to complete it ...kinda busy
note once you have your necessary documents you will get all these money with some months not even up to a year
Re: How Are Death Benefits Paid In Nigeria? by id4sho(m): 10:25am On Jan 31, 2018
Anthos:
getting to lions building in ikoyi ...tell them you re looking for cooperative office for police ....they will ask for the following
the PFN number
death benefit... always photography all this documents... and note ...don't give the original to anybody ... I will tell you when to bring out the original copy

poster of the deceased

note once you have your necessary documents you will get all these money with some months not even up to a year
thumbs up boss, thanks in anticipation

1 Like

Re: How Are Death Benefits Paid In Nigeria? by mandmis007(m): 7:07am On Feb 02, 2018
Horllamideh:

Good evening sir.....the steps you put down above, does it apply to primary School teachers too because we pursued my late mum's gratuity for 5 years (from 2004-2009) and our effort came out futile before we gave up hope. I am kind of hoping to resuscitate the whole process again.
f.
The processes are all the same for those that died on active service. Try and resuscitate it again it's ur entitlement afterall
Re: How Are Death Benefits Paid In Nigeria? by kinzodigital: 4:17pm On Feb 02, 2018
id4sho:

understood Sir, carry on

Thanks for you educative thread.
Please can you educate me on this?
I lost my dad about 8 months ago.He retired from service about 16 years ago and had been paid his gratuity, and was receiving his pension before his death.
What entitlements is he due now after death for the next of kin to pursue, and what process would you advise to achieve it?
Re: How Are Death Benefits Paid In Nigeria? by id4sho(m): 4:50pm On Feb 02, 2018
kinzodigital:

I lost my dad about 8 months ago.He retired from service about 16 years ago and had been paid his gratuity, and was receiving his pension before his death.
What entitlements is he due now after death for the next of kin to pursue, and what process would you advise to achieve it?
just quote others, my case is different. he passed on after retirement without processing any benefits
Re: How Are Death Benefits Paid In Nigeria? by Horllamideh(m): 10:03pm On Feb 02, 2018
mandmis007:
f.
The processes are all the same for those that died on active service. Try and resuscitate it again it's ur entitlement afterall
thank you sir

1 Like

Re: How Are Death Benefits Paid In Nigeria? by kinzodigital: 9:16pm On Feb 03, 2018
id4sho:

understood Sir, carry on

I lost my dad about 8 months ago. He retired from service about 16 years ago and had been paid his gratuity, and was receiving his pension before his death.
What specific entitlements do you advise he is due now after death for the next of kin to pursue, and what process would you advise to achieve it?
Re: How Are Death Benefits Paid In Nigeria? by kinzodigital: 9:17pm On Feb 03, 2018
Anthos:
the payment is as follows
insurance
cooperative
gratuity
pension

so

the first step to this is to get a death certificate from national population commission ...local government Don dey give am self after that ...
get your dads passport ...and full picture on police outfit...
after that head go to his pay unit to stop the payment of his salaries... cos government might still be crediting his account and someone is taking it
then
get his pfn no...that's the force no normally written on their cloth
get a poster of his burial to certify he is really dead
get the account number where they do pay him before his death
proceed to the command where your dad served last before his death
meet the admin in charge of insurance ...they will process the insurance for you within one week... you will paid your insurance... after that you will be referred to lions building at ikoyi lagos state to get the cooperative payment too with the letters and documents they will give you

indicate if you understood all I wrote up here before I will continue

I lost my dad about 8 months ago. He retired from service about 16 years ago and had been paid his gratuity, and was receiving his pension before his death.
Re: How Are Death Benefits Paid In Nigeria? by Anthos(m): 7:37am On Feb 04, 2018
kinzodigital:

gratuity that's what is left since he is started receiving his pension... also check in the pensions department to know if he was paid fully before his dismissed....
how to go about it.....visit his PFA with his pension pin and certificate.... they will assist you
Re: How Are Death Benefits Paid In Nigeria? by id4sho(m): 9:45am On Feb 04, 2018
Anthos:
the PFN number

poster of the deceased

carry on Sir,
Re: How Are Death Benefits Paid In Nigeria? by Amandabannes(f): 4:52pm On Feb 05, 2018
18wheeler:
First you determine if the late (hard luck) was part of the contributory pensions scheme or not. I believe he was before demise. If so, his entitlement is lodged with his PFA. Take your Letter of Admin to his PFA, along with other necessary documents like valid ID, BVN. Then they'll be verified and if found valid will be submitted to PenCom who will authorize payment. It takes a while but you'll definitely be paid. If the deceased retired before June 2009 there'll be an accrued right payment that has to be done to his PFA before payment of the benefit to you the NOK. First determine his status before you lay claim because some scrupulous person in the pensions office could capitalize on your lack of knowledge to swindle you of funds.

He died in active service, few years to his retirement, can you shed more light please. Thanks
Re: How Are Death Benefits Paid In Nigeria? by Amandabannes(f): 5:03pm On Feb 05, 2018
Anthos:

In months? Wow, please do come back to tell us more once you are free. God bless you
Re: How Are Death Benefits Paid In Nigeria? by Dacronym(m): 6:59am On Feb 09, 2018
Pl
Re: How Are Death Benefits Paid In Nigeria? by Asquare84(m): 7:54pm On Feb 09, 2018
What Pencom mean is accrued right, but six years is too long a time. Kindly visit the nearest Pencom office with the deaced RSA pin. Suspect there is problem somewhere or she may have missing contribution in her pension account. please don't get a lawyer it a waist of resource you can do the job by urself.
Re: How Are Death Benefits Paid In Nigeria? by Dacronym(m): 9:12am On Feb 11, 2018
[q
Re: How Are Death Benefits Paid In Nigeria? by MichealBrown007: 6:02pm On Aug 01, 2018
Anthos:
the PFN number

poster of the deceased

Bro abeg come tell us about the gratuity and pension...your help is needed pls
Re: How Are Death Benefits Paid In Nigeria? by MichealBrown007: 6:06pm On Aug 01, 2018
Anthos:
the PFN number

poster of the deceased

Bro abeg come explain the gratuity and pension part,am about to go and tender all the documents to the pfa(first guarantee pension)...
Re: How Are Death Benefits Paid In Nigeria? by Anthos(m): 10:25pm On Aug 01, 2018
MichealBrown007:

Bro abeg come explain the gratuity and pension part,am about to go and tender all the documents to the pfa(first guarantee pension)...
Are you in Lagos or have anybody in Lagos?... if yes, go to guarantee pensions Head Office: 65 Kudirat Abiola Way, Oregun Ikeja. Lagos.
carry this alone with you... letter of identification from local government, affidavit of next of kin.. death certificate, PFA certificate (I.e) guarantee pension certificate, your passport...
get back to me when you re done with this
Re: How Are Death Benefits Paid In Nigeria? by pacretus(m): 9:18am On Jan 11, 2019
Anthos:
the PFN number

poster of the deceased

hello can I would like to ask u some questions as regards working out a deceaseds gratuity.
Re: How Are Death Benefits Paid In Nigeria? by olanorth1991: 6:55pm On Jun 11, 2019
pls i need a lawyer to help me process my mum's gratuity she was a civil servant in lagos state, a nursing officer on grade 13, she died 10years ago, weve submitted all documents, also gone for verification, but sadlly my dad was the one doing all the process, and he's also dead, so recently i went to the pension's office, and they told me my name was not on the letter of adminstration that was done at the high court, it contained my dad and my two elder siblings, and they hv traveled out of the country, and i should get a letter of anttonery from, them, so pls i need a lawyer that can help the family get the pension and gratuity, then we give the percentage we agree on pls. if u re a lawyer and u re intrested, call 07088899198.
Re: How Are Death Benefits Paid In Nigeria? by yetunsbay(m): 11:09pm On Jun 13, 2019
mandmis007:
Did he die while in active service or he was retired? Cz dia are different docs n requirements n processes 4 u 2 get n submit b4 his benefits can be processed at pencom and remitted into his RSA where u can access d acct.
If he dies while in active service go 2 his PFA and collect forms to fill while u submit his death cert 4rm a qualified doctor/hospital, death cert 4rm National population commission, certified pay slip of June 2004, July 2007, Jan 2010, 2013 n month of death. U also attach an introductory letter 4rm his office stating his date of birth, death of dead, GL/ step in June 2004, July 2007, Jan 2010, 2013 and @ date of death. The names of his NOKs,
Also 2 b included is his birth cert/affidavit, Letter of first appointment, RSA No. And equally submit introductory letter from his MDA to his Perm Sec. (PM) stating d above n Letter of Administration (LOA) for his group life insurance.
I believe d snag usually arise 4rm dis GRP life thing.
Go 2 his PFA n sort d issue.
Let me knw hw far, pls.
good day bro, roughly it take what duration for PENCOM to remit bond benefits and gv PFA approval for payment
Re: How Are Death Benefits Paid In Nigeria? by yetunsbay(m): 11:15pm On Jun 13, 2019
Amandabannes:
Hello Nairalanders,

Please I would like to confirm from resourceful persons on how death benefits are paid, most especially in the area of the savings in the retirement savings account and the gratuity to be paid by the government via the account.

My dad passed on some six years ago, and up till now we have not been able to access the death benefits with premium pensions despite various documentation processes.

I happen to be the NOK and the family are thinking I have probably been paid the fund.

In all truthfulness, there are financial needs in the family especially young children in school and the Pension Administrator said as at December 2017 that they were waiting for the Pension Commission to send the Bond to them which takes up to a year to arrive angry lipsrsealed.

My question is this, does the pension act give room for the retirement savings in the account to be paid pending when the bond will arrive at Premium Pensions.

Meaningful inputs/help will be highly appreciated.

Thanks.

Cc

Lalasticlala please help move to Frontpage so I can get help from resourceful nairalanders
hello, did u later got ur parent's benefits ?
Re: How Are Death Benefits Paid In Nigeria? by rasmed: 3:00pm On Jun 14, 2019
for death benefits of retired federal workers, where two next of kin of different mothers are involved .pls who are they going to make payment because l want the money split ted into two and paid mine to my account.
Re: How Are Death Benefits Paid In Nigeria? by yetunsbay(m): 4:20pm On Jun 14, 2019
rasmed:
for death benefits of retired federal workers, where two next of kin of different mothers are involved .pls who are they going to make payment because l want the money split ted into two and paid mine to my account.
it will be paid into an estate acct in the name of ur dad whc both of u will be signatories backed by letter of admin
Re: How Are Death Benefits Paid In Nigeria? by rasmed: 11:46am On Jun 15, 2019
yetunsbay:
it will be paid into an estate acct in the name of ur dad whc both of u will be signatories backed by letter of admin

is it possible to divide it equally and my own paid to my account

(1) (2) (3) (4) (Reply)

FG Rejects Plans By Multichoice To Sack Nigerian Workers / Diamond Bank Sacks 200 Workers - Punch / Employers Risk One-month Imprisonment For Late Payment Of Salaries

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 68
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.