Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,150,661 members, 7,809,499 topics. Date: Friday, 26 April 2024 at 10:36 AM

Man Unlocks A Phone Without Demanding For Its Receipt, Lands In Police Detention - Crime (3) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Crime / Man Unlocks A Phone Without Demanding For Its Receipt, Lands In Police Detention (28558 Views)

Man Bathes His Wife With Acid In Anambra After Demanding For Divorce (Graphic) / SARS Officers Assault Young Lawyer Allegedly Demanding For His Salary In Lagos / Ifeanyi Dike, Portharcourt Child Killer Escapes Police Detention! (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Man Unlocks A Phone Without Demanding For Its Receipt, Lands In Police Detention by eodavids(m): 12:49pm On Jan 30, 2018
thesicilian:
Is there a law against repairing or unlocking phones and other electronics without showing receipt?!
The police can only invite the repairer to the station to help with investigations, not an outright arrest.
I wonder what they teach these police officers at the Police Academy.

Dangerous times requires that measures be put in place to forestall the proliferation of criminality in our society.

I won't defend the police or its sister agencies, but laws mustn't be only the Acts or Laws enacted by the NASS and , or State Assemblies respectively. There is room for Subordinate Legislation and within that powers, the ministry of police affairs or other offices acting within that range can make rules which becomes binding on the society in the interest of societal peace and security.

Remember, the NPF is charged with the powers of protecting lives and property in Nigeria. You are also aware that phones and gadgets theft has become common following the high level of poverty in the country. The police are strategically in positioned to have the data on the number of complaints bordering on robberies, burglary, snatches and worse incidents of violence where people's phones and other gadgets have been made away with.

You will agree with me that desperate times requires desperate measures. So, before the National Assembly makes laws to that effect, the police reserves the powers to make rules that will make it difficult for thieves of the category in question to dispose the proceed of their crime easily.

THE MAJOR ISSUE HOWEVER IS THAT SUCH RULES MADE UNDER THE POWERS OF SUBORDINATE LEGISLATION ARE NOT MADE PUBLIC AS IS THE CASE WITH OTHER LAWS THAT ARE GAZETTED.

I don't want to hear the saying that ignorant of the law is not an excuse undecided
Re: Man Unlocks A Phone Without Demanding For Its Receipt, Lands In Police Detention by mokt(m): 12:52pm On Jan 30, 2018
fpeter:
bad grammar

He repairs phones for a living, for me I think he tried. Better than slay queens sha.
Re: Man Unlocks A Phone Without Demanding For Its Receipt, Lands In Police Detention by chuks34(m): 12:54pm On Jan 30, 2018
Realfitbody:

I don't think he was arrested but simply brought in for questioning. Or did they handcuff him
So he dashed them 10k abi?
Re: Man Unlocks A Phone Without Demanding For Its Receipt, Lands In Police Detention by iammarvellux(m): 12:56pm On Jan 30, 2018
IS that so.....
Re: Man Unlocks A Phone Without Demanding For Its Receipt, Lands In Police Detention by oshe11: 12:59pm On Jan 30, 2018
Vado:

Sim unlock or icloud? Shoot me a pm.
Which state do U reside?
Re: Man Unlocks A Phone Without Demanding For Its Receipt, Lands In Police Detention by oshe11: 1:00pm On Jan 30, 2018
omonlaa:

What phone?
iphone
Re: Man Unlocks A Phone Without Demanding For Its Receipt, Lands In Police Detention by Nobody: 1:00pm On Jan 30, 2018
perryy:

That is not fixing, that removing the security aspect of the phone. If I walked into a mech ship and ask that the security feature of the car I brought be disabled, they have the right to ask me to show proof I own the car whose security feature I wanna disable and they equally have the right to reject it. If you are a panel beater and you helped someone to break into a car and it is later discovered that the person you helped to break into the car is not the car's owner but a thief, don't the police have right to arrest you ? You are a fucking accomplice.

Makes sense.
Re: Man Unlocks A Phone Without Demanding For Its Receipt, Lands In Police Detention by eodavids(m): 1:00pm On Jan 30, 2018
perryy:

If u don't know where the receipt is, you must know the password. Forgetting both means it is a stolen phone and I won't tourch it even with a pole.

The majority of people here seems to be heaping abuses and disdain on the police. But if the person who originally owned the phone but lost it to theft has gotten it back through this means, then its not entirely a bad rule and the owner of the lost phone who now received it again will say likewise.

The major issue is that rules of this nature should be made public so people may not unknowingly break an important rule
Re: Man Unlocks A Phone Without Demanding For Its Receipt, Lands In Police Detention by thesicilian: 1:07pm On Jan 30, 2018
eodavids:

Dangerous times requires that measures be put in place to forestall the proliferation of criminality in our society.

I won't defend the police or its sister agencies, but laws mustn't be only the Acts or Laws enacted by the NASS and , or State Assemblies respectively. There is room for Subordinate Legislation and within that powers, the ministry of police affairs or other offices acting within that range can make rules which becomes binding on the society in the interest of societal peace and security.

Remember, the NPF is charged with the powers of protecting lives and property in Nigeria. You are also aware that phones and gadgets theft has become common following the high level of poverty in the country. The police are strategically in positioned to have the data on the number of complaints bordering on robberies, burglary, snatches and worse incidents of violence where people's phones and other gadgets have been made away with.

You will agree with me that desperate times requires desperate measures. So, before the National Assembly makes laws to that effect, the police reserves the powers to make rules that will make it difficult for thieves of the category in question to dispose the proceed of their crime easily.

THE MAJOR ISSUE HOWEVER IS THAT SUCH RULES MADE UNDER THE POWERS OF SUBORDINATE LEGISLATION ARE NOT MADE PUBLIC AS IS THE CASE WITH OTHER LAWS THAT ARE GAZETTED.

I don't want to hear the saying that ignorant of the law is not an excuse undecided
You deflated all the steam I was gathering against you as I read your comment along, with this last part.
I don't contest their powers making rules that may serve public interest whether in the long or short term, the issue is, those laws, if any, cannot be made surreptitiously. And in a country where rule of law is given it's due priority, those police officers would be in a deep PR mess by now.
Re: Man Unlocks A Phone Without Demanding For Its Receipt, Lands In Police Detention by thesicilian: 1:07pm On Jan 30, 2018
rayobaba:
l despise police
You are not alone.
Re: Man Unlocks A Phone Without Demanding For Its Receipt, Lands In Police Detention by Allenken225588: 1:20pm On Jan 30, 2018
i'm a technician too in a popular computer village in kaduna..dis is exactly d same prblm we face almost evday...d police operatives treat us like we're d criminals (serious beating ),,nd at d end we bail ourselves out at unbelievable exorbitant amnt..which is of course dia obj..while the main criminal is paraded in a well ventilated hilux untouched..pointing accusing fingers to any body he deems fit or dislikes..

plz we need a concrete resolution to such mishap...we ar jst hustling for our daily bread..
Re: Man Unlocks A Phone Without Demanding For Its Receipt, Lands In Police Detention by jpphilips(m): 1:29pm On Jan 30, 2018
stano2:
Police always looking for means to extort

Except for the 10k bail price, this is actually police doing their job. people parade their ignorance expecting the society to give them some form of concession, you disabled a phone's security without asking for proof of ownership, a feature that was made to protect the owner from people like you? bros you are an accessory to theft, thank your stars you got out with 10k, you would have ended up in prison at the very least.

1 Like

Re: Man Unlocks A Phone Without Demanding For Its Receipt, Lands In Police Detention by eodavids(m): 1:30pm On Jan 30, 2018
thesicilian:

You deflated all the steam I was gathering against you as I read your comment along, with this last part.
I don't contest their powers making rules that may serve public interest whether in the long or short term, the issue is, those laws, if any, cannot be made surreptitiously. And in a country where rule of law is given it's due priority, those police officers would be in a deep PR mess by now.

You are not wrong.

The problem of this country is multi faceted. You and I cannot even vouch that the owner of the stollen phones will receive or have received it (if confirmed, it was stollen).

Rules that govern human societies bshould be made public once its made. Qualities of good laws include that it leads to certainty. People should know what has been proscribed and the consequences of its breach.

1 Like

Re: Man Unlocks A Phone Without Demanding For Its Receipt, Lands In Police Detention by 2shure: 1:30pm On Jan 30, 2018
thats why u need axe.
axe d police 3 fingers
axe his other am
slit his throat and run for your life.
they need to be killed on a daily.
if its not receipt for phone
its receipt for laptop
yahoo boy
cultizt
naija police all need to be killed.
dah was hw one extorted me last year and asked for receipt.in d end i bailed my laptop wit 15k.
since den i carry daggers.waiting for dia weakness den i strike.
Re: Man Unlocks A Phone Without Demanding For Its Receipt, Lands In Police Detention by Butterworth: 1:39pm On Jan 30, 2018
duduwest:
Nobody above mistake but at least you've learn your lesson. Always make sure what they brought to you is not stolen one.

How
Re: Man Unlocks A Phone Without Demanding For Its Receipt, Lands In Police Detention by jpphilips(m): 1:40pm On Jan 30, 2018
thesicilian:

Police does not need a new rule or law to charge this guy as an accomplice to theft, all you need do is read the criminal code carefully and you will see where this guys ignorance sits perfectly!!
Re: Man Unlocks A Phone Without Demanding For Its Receipt, Lands In Police Detention by Greatzeus(m): 1:43pm On Jan 30, 2018
thesicilian:
Is there a law against repairing or unlocking phones and other electronics without showing receipt?!
The police can only invite the repairer to the station to help with investigations, not an outright arrest.
The truth is why would I want to unlock a phone that is mine? Wont I just enter the pin or password?
Most phones that are being unlocked by phone engineers at computer village and other places are stolen or bought from a phone thief.
It would be good if there is a law prohibiting unlocking of phones without receipt.
Re: Man Unlocks A Phone Without Demanding For Its Receipt, Lands In Police Detention by chijindu34(m): 1:45pm On Jan 30, 2018

Re: Man Unlocks A Phone Without Demanding For Its Receipt, Lands In Police Detention by Vado(m): 1:45pm On Jan 30, 2018
oshe11:
Which state do U reside?

Kwara
Re: Man Unlocks A Phone Without Demanding For Its Receipt, Lands In Police Detention by oshe11: 1:48pm On Jan 30, 2018
Vado:

Kwara
Hmmmm.... No need. Delta here!
Re: Man Unlocks A Phone Without Demanding For Its Receipt, Lands In Police Detention by Vado(m): 1:49pm On Jan 30, 2018
oshe11:
Hmmmm....
No need.
Delta here!

Aii, cool.

1 Like

Re: Man Unlocks A Phone Without Demanding For Its Receipt, Lands In Police Detention by Bluffly: 2:24pm On Jan 30, 2018
thesicilian:
About 90% if Nigerians are still primitive

1 Like

Re: Man Unlocks A Phone Without Demanding For Its Receipt, Lands In Police Detention by Bluffly: 2:28pm On Jan 30, 2018
Greatzeus:

The truth is why would I want to unlock a phone that is mine? Wont I just enter the pin or password?
Most phones that are being unlocked by phone engineers at computer village and other places are stolen or bought from a phone thief.
It would be good if there is a law prohibiting unlocking of phones without receipt.
No , you can't conclude like that. I could well remember years ago, when I was using Nokia 1110. I change my password like twice and slept off, only to forget the current password which is because my intention wasn't to change but was just playing with the phone because I was bored. I made several attempt and guesses al to futility. So anything can happen.
Re: Man Unlocks A Phone Without Demanding For Its Receipt, Lands In Police Detention by linearity: 2:35pm On Jan 30, 2018
duduwest:
Nobody above mistake but at least you've learn your lesson. Always make sure what they brought to you is not stolen one.

There is no law that backs that.

Do you take your car receipt to the mechanic for it to be worked upon? What about your fridge, TV, etc...They are just extorting the guy. All he has to prove that, he is a valid technician and he does not have any involvement with the culprits.
Re: Man Unlocks A Phone Without Demanding For Its Receipt, Lands In Police Detention by thesicilian: 2:35pm On Jan 30, 2018
Greatzeus:

The key is evidence. Without evidence the phone was stolen you really cannot turn back your costumer from repairing his phone.
Have you never forgotten your password or pin before?
Re: Man Unlocks A Phone Without Demanding For Its Receipt, Lands In Police Detention by linearity: 2:39pm On Jan 30, 2018
Greatzeus:

Have you ever forgotten and had to reset the password to any of your emails, web portal, etc before? The answer to that, will let you know that, there are legitimate reasons, why people will want to unlock their phones.
Re: Man Unlocks A Phone Without Demanding For Its Receipt, Lands In Police Detention by seunmsg(m): 2:44pm On Jan 30, 2018
thesicilian:

What you said is exactly what happened. He was interrogated and later allowed to go. He was not charged to court for any wrong doing after the investigation. However, the mode of operation of the police is what we can question. Police only invite big men for questioning in Nigeria. If you are not big, you will be bundled like a common criminal to the police station and thrown into the cell. That is how to get their bail money.
Re: Man Unlocks A Phone Without Demanding For Its Receipt, Lands In Police Detention by nittroboy(m): 2:44pm On Jan 30, 2018
Who arrested him
kinibigdeal:

Are you after the message or the grammar?
Re: Man Unlocks A Phone Without Demanding For Its Receipt, Lands In Police Detention by holysaint1(m): 3:07pm On Jan 30, 2018
thedondada:
Lol

How many people know where the receipts of thier phones are. What rubbish.

Even me indontbhave receipt for my laptop. And nobody can collect it from me.

Ole people.

as for that ur lappy, i would advice you dont take it along with you anytime you are travelling.. Kus if them stop una for searching and eventually see am, na there you go know say police na ur friend true true..
Re: Man Unlocks A Phone Without Demanding For Its Receipt, Lands In Police Detention by Haganah: 3:20pm On Jan 30, 2018
E pain am.
benueguy:
get lost

Re: Man Unlocks A Phone Without Demanding For Its Receipt, Lands In Police Detention by andyanders: 3:43pm On Jan 30, 2018
Op,what happened is this. The customer who own the phone work together. Wgat they did was to arrange with the police to collect back the 10k he paid you. Since you didnt buy the phone from him,u are not guilty of any crime for just repairs.

(1) (2) (3) (4) (Reply)

Two Yahoo Boys Bag 4-Month Imprisonment For Phishing In Benin (Photos) / Fake Naval Officer Arrested For Defrauding & Assaulting Pos Agents In Nasarawa / Anambra Lady Attacks Man For Harassing Her At A Party (Photos)

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 62
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.