Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,154,517 members, 7,823,223 topics. Date: Friday, 10 May 2024 at 06:59 AM

Paddy Adenuga: "I Nearly Acquired Chevron Netherlands At 29" - Business (6) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Business / Paddy Adenuga: "I Nearly Acquired Chevron Netherlands At 29" (43779 Views)

Paddy Adenuga Advises Men On What To Do Before Sending Money To Their Women / Paddy Adenuga: 10 Things You Didn't Know About Mike Adenuga’s Son / Paddy Adenuga: 'I Cannot Date A Lady That Wears Wig, I Have Standards' (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Paddy Adenuga: "I Nearly Acquired Chevron Netherlands At 29" by karniff: 7:18pm On Jan 31, 2018
LaudateII:

Which greed? Didn't see any. undecided With Edgar, he felt that Edgar's initial quoted fee was too high for his input (as he perceived it then), so he declined and walked away . But at the end of the day, when he went back to Edgar, he still paid the man's fees which had now doubled. It was his lack of experience in realising Edgar's value, that made him walk away initially. But I like Edgar. The man knew his own worth, and didn't sell himself short. cool

With Remi, he was trying to take precautions against being jinxed, by people from back home in Naija. He had nothing against Remi personally. And Remi never asked for a cut of his deal, did he? So where does greed come into it? shocked

Remi is very influential just as some intricacy was left out in the lines; Edgar would have run with the bid if he had got on the project earlier kknowing he had such bid in mind to close th deal. At the end he regretted this two actions on his part- the leson. Perhps u should read again plus I said said u haven't been in that instance u wouldn't get the greed lol
Re: Paddy Adenuga: "I Nearly Acquired Chevron Netherlands At 29" by LaudateII: 7:44pm On Jan 31, 2018
karniff:
Remi is very influential just as some intricacy was left out in the lines; Edgar would have run with the bid if he had got on the project earlier kknowing he had such bid in mind to close th deal. At the end he regretted this two actions on his part- the leson. Perhps u should read again plus I said said u haven't been in that instance u wouldn't get the greed lol
You still have not pointed out the greed. sad Do you actually know the meaning of the word "greed?" Where on earth did greed come into the whole equation? Remi's influence in the whole thing was only known at the end of the deal, because he had some valuable information which could have tipped the scales in Paddy's favour, had Paddy chosen to open up to him. As for Edgar, it was ego and inexperience that made Paddy decline Edgar's first offer, but he ended up paying for it later.

3 Likes

Re: Paddy Adenuga: "I Nearly Acquired Chevron Netherlands At 29" by xtremely9ja: 7:52pm On Jan 31, 2018
This is simply classic. The most inspiring read ever for me on Nairaland. Try your best, make mistakes, keep going, never stop whether in success or defeat you still remains a victor, because when the story is told the one that never tried will never get a mention.
Thank Paddy for tell your story.

5 Likes

Re: Paddy Adenuga: "I Nearly Acquired Chevron Netherlands At 29" by olatunji71: 8:44pm On Jan 31, 2018
That was a nice piece. Considering your age, you dared the most unbelievable feat . By also racking up your brain, you got a well organised, well thought out team of excellent brains put up to make sure the deal sail through. Well, don't be down trodden by not succeeding in your bid. There's always a second shot at things in life so take heart and look forward to the next big thing .

2 Likes

Re: Paddy Adenuga: "I Nearly Acquired Chevron Netherlands At 29" by Jethrolite(m): 9:03pm On Jan 31, 2018
MrMcJay:
Just look at the comments on this thread and you'll realise that more Nigerians suffer from intellectual poverty than financial poverty.

The lessons to be learnt from that article are more than what some Nigerians learnt in their entire time spent in school and they don't have the wisdom to read and pick a lesson or two.

10 Years from now, Paddy would be a billionaire under 40, some people who picked lessons from this article might have surpassed Paddy in wealth but our dumb friends would still be shouting "I receive" in Church not knowing that their Pastors are also reading and picking lessons from this post.
I was reading comments and almost felt like crying. I find solace in the fact that crass people are the ones who comment most here, the real quality members are mostly visitors and usually only observe when they create an account.

7 Likes

Re: Paddy Adenuga: "I Nearly Acquired Chevron Netherlands At 29" by SilentBang(m): 9:04pm On Jan 31, 2018
Nice one i must say!... alot of positives to take home.
Its not easy being a business man.
Re: Paddy Adenuga: "I Nearly Acquired Chevron Netherlands At 29" by Godbest(m): 9:06pm On Jan 31, 2018
CHAI PADDY WHY, IF ONLY YOU HAD TOLD REMI, OH SWEET REMI... THIS WILL HAVE BEEN A DIFFERENT STORY. Edgar to me is not a friend. I cant call him a friend. He is just a business colleagues. I hate it when people value money more than idea. after all paddy was still going to pay him. Edgar is Greedy. .... gosh see Bleep up... I call this bloody human error...

1 Like

Re: Paddy Adenuga: "I Nearly Acquired Chevron Netherlands At 29" by thiscounts(m): 9:41pm On Jan 31, 2018
This could still be adapted into a movie...it will make an interesting watch as it does reading.What a giant stride of an attempt,and motivational

1 Like

Re: Paddy Adenuga: "I Nearly Acquired Chevron Netherlands At 29" by ElGood: 10:13pm On Jan 31, 2018
If it is me, I am very sure I will secure this deal. Him try, bt lack that blend of ajeparko street credibility which rob him the vital info from Remi.
Re: Paddy Adenuga: "I Nearly Acquired Chevron Netherlands At 29" by LaudateII: 10:13pm On Jan 31, 2018
xtremely9ja:
This is simply classic. The most inspiring read ever for me on Nairaland. Try your best, make mistakes, keep going, never stop whether in success or defeat you still remains a victor, because when the story is told the one that never tried will never get a mention.
Thank Paddy for tell your story.
Jethrolite:
I was reading comments and almost felt like crying. I find solace in the fact that crass people are the ones who comment most here, the real quality members are mostly visitors and usually only observe when they create an account.
olatunji71:
That was a nice piece. Considering your age, you dared the most unbelievable feat . By also racking up your brain, you got a well organised, well thought out team of excellent brains put up to make sure the deal sail through. Well, don't be down trodden by not succeeding in your bid. There's always a second shot at things in life so take heart and look forward to the next big thing .
thiscounts:
This could still be adapted into a movie...it will make an interesting watch as it does reading.What a giant stride of an attempt,and motivational

Honestly, this story is the best thing I have read on NL, in the past one month. cool I have read it over and over again. Each time, I read through it, a new angle pops up. There are too many rich kids from a similar background, who would not have dared to do half of what he did.

Paddy is such a gifted writer. wink He shared his story in such an articulate, touching way. If he ever gets bored of the business world, he should venture into the literary circle. He'd make not just lots of money, but also get a large cult following, who would hang on his every word!

3 Likes

Re: Paddy Adenuga: "I Nearly Acquired Chevron Netherlands At 29" by glambo(m): 10:20pm On Jan 31, 2018
mccoy47:
Sadly most Nairalanders would not read this piece but would rather prefer to comment trash!

But in a way i think luck shun on him, cuz imagine if he had gone ahead to aquire the company with thousands of staff, a meager 6000bpd production capacity and the crashing oil prices of 2013-2017.
He probably wouldn't have sailed through

You missed why he wanted to buy the company.
It is simply because it's an European Company,that will make it easy for him go get contract in African oil&gas industry and exploit the greed of african politician to make money.

At the end the company might be more of a portfolio company that is struggling to survive in the home state but raking in millions of dollars in Africa.

3 Likes

Re: Paddy Adenuga: "I Nearly Acquired Chevron Netherlands At 29" by LaudateII: 10:24pm On Jan 31, 2018
glambo:
You missed why he wanted to buy the company.
It is simply because it's an European Company,that will make it easy for him go get contract in African oil&gas industry and exploit the greed of african politician to make money.

At the end the company might be more of a portfolio company that is struggling to survive in the home state but raking in millions of dollars in Africa.

"Exploit the greed of the African politician?" In what way, please? And you said "the company might be more of a portfolio company that is struggling to survive in the home state but raking in millions of dollars in Africa..." How? Are you on the board of the company, or you just jumped to an ill-founded conclusion? shocked
Re: Paddy Adenuga: "I Nearly Acquired Chevron Netherlands At 29" by Jethrolite(m): 10:44pm On Jan 31, 2018
LaudateII:

Paddy is such a gifted writer. wink He shared his story in such an articulate, touching way. If he ever gets bored of the business world, he should venture into the literary circle. He'd make not just lots of money, but also get a large cult following, who would hang on
I doubt he did the writing himself, he probably created a voice note and had a professional writer create the write up for him. You ought to see that easily, no one writes like that. Believe me, when you operate on that level, you get people to do these things for you, he simply records the story, gets a writer to properly present it, edit and create a final copy. I won't be surprised if this writeup is a chapter in his autobiography.
Re: Paddy Adenuga: "I Nearly Acquired Chevron Netherlands At 29" by americanson: 10:49pm On Jan 31, 2018
Godbest:
CHAI PADDY WHY, IF ONLY YOU HAD TOLD REMI, OH SWEET REMI... THIS WILL HAVE BEEN A DIFFERENT STORY. Edgar to me is not a friend. I cant call him a friend. He is just a business colleagues. I hate it when people value money more than idea. after all paddy was still going to pay him. Edgar is Greedy. .... gosh see Bleep up... I call this bloody human error...
lol. You clearly have not done business with whites before... How do you think their country became the empire they are today? They don't readily do things for free especially when it involves money. They understand that time is money and if you need their time, you have to pay for it. They have got bills and taxes to pay bro. No time for African deals.

1 Like

Re: Paddy Adenuga: "I Nearly Acquired Chevron Netherlands At 29" by LaudateII: 11:02pm On Jan 31, 2018
Jethrolite:
I doubt he did the writing himself, he probably created a voice note and had a professional writer create the write up for him. You ought to see that easily, no one writes like that. Believe me, when you operate on that level, you get people to do these things for you, he simply records the story, gets a writer to properly present it, edit and create a final copy. I won't be surprised if this writeup is a chapter in his autobiography.
No sir, I know people who write like that. If you do a lot of reading, you would have come across quite a few people who do so. Writing is a talent or an innate gift, just like singing. And you can build on it, polish it, nurture it and master the craft with dedication, discipline and skill.

How do you think professional writers build their skills? While I do not dispute the fact that a rich person can hire anyone to put together his own story, I have a feeling Paddy wrote this article, all by himself. I hear he has been writing screenplays, since he was a teenager.

3 Likes

Re: Paddy Adenuga: "I Nearly Acquired Chevron Netherlands At 29" by Jethrolite(m): 12:07am On Feb 01, 2018
LaudateII:

No sir, I know people who write like that. If you do a lot of reading, you would have come across quite a few people who do so. Writing is a talent or an innate gift, just like singing. And you can build on it, polish it, nurture it and master the craft with dedication, discipline and skill.

How do you think professional writers build their skills? While I do not dispute the fact that a rich person can hire anyone to put together his own story, I have a feeling Paddy wrote this article, all by himself. I hear he has been writing screenplays, since he was a teenager.
I was referring to him even when I made it seem general, if bolded is true then good for him.
Re: Paddy Adenuga: "I Nearly Acquired Chevron Netherlands At 29" by Nobody: 12:52am On Feb 01, 2018
Nearly does not kill a bird.

2014 was also the year I nearly hit big in the industry but it never happened. I was 28 then but i still have that tenacity. See why its good to roll with like minds. His story has even inspired me.
Re: Paddy Adenuga: "I Nearly Acquired Chevron Netherlands At 29" by Fawklicant: 12:59am On Feb 01, 2018
I'm impressed to say the least. But Nigerians get bad Belle Sha! Just reading all the Comments here just makes me wonder if there's hope for the youths. A rich dude steps outta his comfort zone to make a name for himself and attempts a bold move, an ambitious one at that and rather than glean lessons from the whole venture, some people are here trying to pull him down and they haven't made any significant move in their entire lifetimes, past and present. Na wa

2 Likes

Re: Paddy Adenuga: "I Nearly Acquired Chevron Netherlands At 29" by wman(m): 4:55am On Feb 01, 2018
This whole sh**t is overhyped.

I like his gogetter attitude and his smartness.

His writing skills isn't great. That was just too overhyped.

There was an element of boasting all through the story. There is a way you can describe expensive and classy places/things without that element of pride. Only those who read a lot of books and maybe write will get what I saw in his story.

I think a lot of Nigerians were overwhelmed because they hardly read autobiographies or hear stories like this from Nigerians.

If you read stuff from foreigners, you'll know that this isn't much.

And this story doesn't make him a perfect being or a perfect person to hold a political post. You never know too much about people. A single story is not enough. If you can be deceived by 'I had no shoes' or 'I couldn't afford my presidential candidate ticket' and you hold this story as a standard, you deserve the terrible leadership you get. A single story doesn't make one a good political candidate. Stop calling for him to run.

Plus, a lot of the things you read were not written by the actual authors. Ghostwriters plenty die! The rich and famous use them.

I'm not a hater. Just saying it as it is.

I agree that the writeup will make for a good movie.

Who else got overwhelmed by all those millions of dollars they were calling? shocked shocked shocked

1 Like

Re: Paddy Adenuga: "I Nearly Acquired Chevron Netherlands At 29" by Nobody: 9:05am On Feb 01, 2018
MrMcJay:
Just look at the comments on this thread and you'll realise that more Nigerians suffer from intellectual poverty than financial poverty.

The lessons to be learnt from that article are more than what some Nigerians learnt in their entire time spent in school and they don't have the wisdom to read and pick a lesson or two.

10 Years from now, Paddy would be a billionaire under 40, some people who picked lessons from this article might have surpassed Paddy in wealth but our dumb friends would still be shouting "I receive" in Church not knowing that their Pastors are also reading and picking lessons from this post.
I swear I feel like crying after reading the comments on nairaland.. I initially read this via Pm news on Sunday and just wanted to see reactions on nairaland.. And surely I'm not disappointed. This is why majority of Nigerian youth would remain below average.

2 Likes

Re: Paddy Adenuga: "I Nearly Acquired Chevron Netherlands At 29" by leye4u: 9:06am On Feb 01, 2018
HOLYDICK:
Nice try bro.....but my mama always taught me....ALMOST doesn't count.

Just my take
for me this "almost" counts a great deal

2 Likes

Re: Paddy Adenuga: "I Nearly Acquired Chevron Netherlands At 29" by Bright4(m): 11:36am On Feb 01, 2018
The write up is cool and professional...management builder indeed.
Re: Paddy Adenuga: "I Nearly Acquired Chevron Netherlands At 29" by americanson: 12:38pm On Feb 01, 2018
Jethrolite:
hehehehhe... Another one. So now, Paddy is not intelligent enough to Pen down his own story. Kai... Naija

5 Likes

Re: Paddy Adenuga: "I Nearly Acquired Chevron Netherlands At 29" by Jethrolite(m): 12:44pm On Feb 01, 2018
americanson:
hehehehhe... Another one. So now, Paddy is not intelligent enough to Pen down his own story. Kai... Naija
Did you even read what I wrote before quoting me.
Re: Paddy Adenuga: "I Nearly Acquired Chevron Netherlands At 29" by americanson: 12:45pm On Feb 01, 2018
wman:

There was an element of boasting all through the story. There is a way you can describe expensive and classy places/things without that element of pride. Only those who read a lot of books and maybe write will get what I saw in his story.

I think a lot of Nigerians were overwhelmed because they hardly read autobiographies or hear stories like this from Nigerians.

And this story doesn't make him a perfect being or a perfect person to hold a political post. You never know too much about people. A single story is not enough. If you can be deceived by 'I had no shoes' or 'I couldn't afford my presidential candidate ticket' and you hold this story as a standard, you deserve the terrible leadership you get. A single story doesn't make one a good political candidate. Stop calling for him to run.

Plus, a lot of the things you read were not written by the actual authors. Ghostwriters plenty die! The rich and famous use them.

Who else got overwhelmed by all those millions of dollars they were calling? shocked shocked shocked
Some of you are beyond unbelievable. Kai

3 Likes

Re: Paddy Adenuga: "I Nearly Acquired Chevron Netherlands At 29" by americanson: 12:46pm On Feb 01, 2018
Jethrolite:
Did you even read what I wrote before quoting me.
no I did not... And it was your ghost that said he didn't write the story.

3 Likes

Re: Paddy Adenuga: "I Nearly Acquired Chevron Netherlands At 29" by olufemi7onifade: 1:03pm On Feb 01, 2018
slyfoxxjoe:
This is a brilliant read. Never saw Paddy in this light. People always referred to him as the 'oloriburuku' of the family but this interview makes him sound like a real business intellectual.

Same ya.
Re: Paddy Adenuga: "I Nearly Acquired Chevron Netherlands At 29" by olufemi7onifade: 1:17pm On Feb 01, 2018
IamaNigerianGuy:

I am all for entrepreneurship but you must come down and face reality.

1. The recession and mangled economic system we operate means that people have no money to buy N50 milk much less go looking for investments. You invest when your basic needs are met. Are you aware that workers are owed salaries and pensions ?

2. EMTS founder (Bello-Osagie) was already a billionaire when he started his company. He used his university contacts to penetrate the arab royal families for investment in his venture, and his relationship with IBB to secure his telecom licence.

Point is, there is no level playing ground. These people are exploiting their unfair advantage gained in the past. Nobody needs to encourage a Nigerian to do business. It is in our genes. Level the playing field and watch them fly.

You are just trying to pull every good thing down. Why don't you publish what affects you and make your point than respond on the negative side.

At 29 the young man (Am not his fan either) came back after several years to publish his Diaries and all you see is to relate it to pressing country economic needs.

A Good Nairaland tried to correct you but same thing.

If you publish your experience, it's a problem, if you don't, it's a problem. Which way 9ja!

3 Likes

Re: Paddy Adenuga: "I Nearly Acquired Chevron Netherlands At 29" by Spidermon: 1:27pm On Feb 01, 2018
wman:

God bless you. You have a discerning mind
Re: Paddy Adenuga: "I Nearly Acquired Chevron Netherlands At 29" by olufemi7onifade: 1:30pm On Feb 01, 2018
wman:

Yes you are not a hater, you are more than a hater.

5 Likes 1 Share

Re: Paddy Adenuga: "I Nearly Acquired Chevron Netherlands At 29" by olufemi7onifade: 1:33pm On Feb 01, 2018
Jethrolite:

Let's see yours. Bad Belle!
Re: Paddy Adenuga: "I Nearly Acquired Chevron Netherlands At 29" by LaudateII: 2:27pm On Feb 01, 2018
wman:

And how many novels have you written? If you have written a few, how many got to the best sellers list? You are here criticising Paddy Adenuga's writing skills, but your own writing skills are nothing to even write home about!

Do not allow bad-belle to kill you. sad The guy told the story from his own personal perspective, and not from the perspective of a 3rd party! So where is the so-called boasting coming from? I strongly doubt the fact that Paddy got a ghost writer, because from info that is freely available in the public domain, it is said that Paddy has been a scriptwriter since he was 15! undecided

In the world of international business, millions of USD moves through the financial system globally, every day. Only unexposed people like you sitting in your bedrooms in one Naija town, would be astonished at the volume of transactions that go on using the dollar as a medium of exchange, daily! Talk to treasurers of multinational institutions, and bankers who have worked with world-class financial houses, and you would know.

2 Likes

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (Reply)

Shoprite Trucks Converted To Mobile Stores Following SA Unrest (Pictures) / Complete Digital Marketing Training Online / Man With Wife & Kids Caught Stealing A Mobile Phone On CCTV In A Bank (Photos)

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 92
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.