Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,152,726 members, 7,816,987 topics. Date: Friday, 03 May 2024 at 10:16 PM

Ibb: Younger Generation Can’t Rule Nigeria - Politics - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / Ibb: Younger Generation Can’t Rule Nigeria (10141 Views)

FLASHBACK: Younger Generation Can’t Rule Nigeria, Says Babangida / Buhari Can’t Rule Without Ndigbo –ifeanyi Uba / Ibb: Younger Generation Can’t Rule Nigeria (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (Reply) (Go Down)

Ibb: Younger Generation Can’t Rule Nigeria by trueword: 5:48am On Apr 18, 2010
IBB: Younger Generation Can’t Rule Nigeria
From Reuben Buhari in Kaduna with agency report, 04.18.2010

Former military president and presidential aspirant on the platform of the Peoples Democratic Party (PDP), General Ibrahim Badamasi  Babangida, yesterday said he was planning a come-back to office because of the non-availability of capable younger people who can  steer the ship of state.
Speaking to the Hausa Service of the British Broadcasting Corporation (BBC) monitored in Kaduna, Babangida said: “Because we have seen signs that they are not capable of leading this country and so we feel we should help them.  May be they are not given the proper education that is why.  I have spent 17 years since I left office. 

“But a country like Nigeria cannot be ruled by people without experience. People like the (President Barack) Obama that you are speaking about have the experience. He started from the state House of Assembly to the House of Represen-tatives and to the Senate. If our youths are like this, we will say they have the requisite experience. But we have not reached that level. Honestly, it is our wish that God will bring the younger people that will take over from us if they are available.”

Babangida, who answered questions from the BBC on almost every aspect of his administration during his eight years in office, said he was seeking a return to the Presidency, if elected next year, to contribute his quota in taking the country to the next level.
The former military President in the 15 minutes interview also absolved his eight year tenure of promoting corruption. He said the level of corruption in the country today is a far cry from what was witnessed during his time.

Asked what was attracting him to run for the office of president this time around when he declined to run in 2007, Babangida said, “I gave my reasons for not contesting in 2007 and it was published in many newspapers in the country. Therefore, Nigerians know my reasons for not contesting at that time. But now, Alhamdudillahi, things have changed.
“My position as a Nigerian. Anything that God wants me to do to help this country, I will do it. If I am given the chance, I will know what to do and by the grace of God, I will do it. Nigeria is a country of 150 million people and any of this 150 million people can be president.

Babangida told the BBC that his godfather in Nigeria was the masses when he was reminded by the BBC that the June 12, 1993 election was made possible by the masses but he still went ahead to annul it.
He then said: “But what you should take into consideration is that there has never been an election like that before. That election convinced not only Nigerians, but even the international community that it is possible to conduct free and fair elections in Nigeria,” he said adding that as head of the government at that time he takes responsibility for annulling the election.
The following is the full text of the interview:

You wanted to contest for the Presidency in 2007, but at the end of the day you didn’t submit your papers, how can you assure Nigerians that this time around, you will contest?
I gave my reasons for not contesting in 2007 and it was published in many newspapers in the country. Therefore, Nigerians know my reasons for not contesting at that time. But now, Alhamdudillahi, things have changed.

Don’t forget we are talking of helping the country. What we are talking about, is something that happened some 16 years ago. We should be thinking of what we can do to make progress.
Nigeria is facing a lot of problems, if by the grace of God; you become the president again, what are these new things you never did in the past that you will want to employ in tackling these problems.
God in His infinite mercy gave me the leadership of this country for 8 years…. Remember the Nigerian people have not changed, and since they have not changed, we are in a position to tell them that we can do it again.

There are speculations that the United States of America (USA) wants you to contest for the presidency. What do you have to say about this? 
How can that be possible since it is not Americans that will vote? It is Nigerians that will vote. 
But America is an influential country in the world and it has its interests in Nigeria. 
Nigeria is an influential country too. If somebody wants something in Africa and he hears the voice of Nigeria, it is like he has heard the voice of Africa.
But they said the American Assistant Secretary of State paid you a visit.
Yes, he came to greet me. He is somebody I have known. He came to condole with me over the death of my wife. When we were in the hospital in America, he was coming to greet us…

The issue of the dwindling Nigerian economy is blamed on your administration. You invited former World Bank Economist in charge of Structural Adjustment Programme (SAP), Prof. Joseph Tigris, who you used to ruin the nation’s economy. Why did you do that?
, Today, we are talking of exactly 24 years, but SAP has not changed, they keep on modifying it. If the economy was ruined, by now, we would have been history. The Nigerian economy was not ruined.
But they say Nigerians are going through serious hardship as a result of your economic policies.
I want you to know that if you read all the books on the economy of Nigeria, you will find out that from 1960 to 1995, Nigeria made far-reaching progress. I left office in 1993. You should be asking what have those who came after us done.

Your administration was accused of massive corruption. If you become the president again, how would you address the problem of endemic corruption in Nigeria?
If you compare what is happening now with what happened during my administration, you will commend me. I sacked a governor for embezzling N300, 000 during my regime, but now, what do you see? During our time we were not enmeshed in this kind of things we see today.

During your time, there was this $12 billion made from the sales of oil. What happened to the money?
The $12 billion was the money realised from the sale of oil for 8 years. Let me repeat,  it was money made from the sales of oil in 8 years. It was money that we saved in the Central Bank of Nigeria (CBN) within those 8 years. There was an additional $1.2 billion,  So all they are saying about this money are lies. If you read the Okigbo report, you will see that the money was made in 8 years.

But the Financial Times reporter who published the story was sent out of Nigeria because of the report. If it was not true, why was he sent away?
Frankly speaking, I can send the Okigbo report to you to read. I have been explaining this over and over. What I realised from oil in eight years is what somebody makes in one year.
You have been a major player in the leadership of this country for a longtime.

Don’t you think it is time to allow the younger generations take over from you the older ones as it happened in America and other parts of the world?
Honestly, it is our wish that God will bring the younger people that will take over from us if they are available. I was the one who introduced the politics of new breed in this country.
Why didn’t you step aside and give the younger generation a chance to lead since they are fresh and strong.
Because we have seen signs that they are not capable of leading this country and so we feel we should help them.  May be they are not given the proper education that is why.  I have spent 17 years since I left office. 
Haba! The younger generation is supposed to be in charge by now.

But a country like Nigeria cannot be ruled by people without experience. People like the Obama that you are speaking about have the experience. He started from the state House of Assembly to the House of Representatives and to the Senate. If our youths are like this, we will say they have the requisite experience. But we have not reached that level.
If by the grace of God, you become the president what new thing will you do which you did not do during your eight years in power.

Which are the mistakes you would want to correct?
The politicians are asking me what I forgot in  the Presidential Villa that I want to go and pick. When I left power, the naira was N22 to the dollar. Petrol was selling at 70 kobo per litre. So there are things that I did that will make me come back.
These things were not like that when you came to power. You were the one that devalued the naira.
How? During my time, the naira did not exceed N22 to the dollar. Now it is N150 per dollar.

But how much was it before you came to power?
It was N4.5 to the dollar.
So you devalued the naira.
Some people destroyed the value of the naira…

http://www.thisdayonline.com/nview.php?id=171237
Re: Ibb: Younger Generation Can’t Rule Nigeria by EzeUche(m): 5:50am On Apr 18, 2010
Complete and utter nonsense! This old man needs to go away with all of his ill gotten wealth. Does he take young Nigerians for buffoons? angry
Re: Ibb: Younger Generation Can’t Rule Nigeria by trueword: 5:51am On Apr 18, 2010
what makes IBB think that even he is qualified. What does he have to offer? The only experience he has is being a dictator and thats the last thing Nigeria needs.

He is really trying to not accept responsibility for the current poor state of Nigeria.  What nonsense.
Re: Ibb: Younger Generation Can’t Rule Nigeria by Sammy107d(m): 6:45am On Apr 18, 2010
This man didn't answer one question.
Re: Ibb: Younger Generation Can’t Rule Nigeria by KnowAll(m): 7:01am On Apr 18, 2010
Messers Babangida, You are not a theif, but you are a Mutineer and a coupist, and that sticks. A leopard they say cannot shake off its spot how would u wriggle out from such a dishonorable labelling, knowing men who have being labelled with such disdainful name in the past have long gone and re-establish contact with their maker.

With your treacherous past, dont you think u are daring 149 million 999,999 thousand Nigerians by even thinking that the most prestigious and coveted seat in the land should be giving to you. If you were a Yoruba man I would have said maybe u are using "Aje sara" - "Charms" when u uttered that unguided statement, but knowing u had a recent stint in Gbenga Daniel's oath swearing shrine, one might be tempted to believe that an astute muslim like yourself should have resisted any overtures from Gbenga's demonic rendevous, I just hope u had your clothes on when you visited Mr Daniels. For Mr Daniels is well known to have voyeristic tendencies by having hidden cameras in the most innocuous places.

Nigerians would also like to read your memoires of how you planned the downfall of Gen Buhari. At whose house was the initial plan hacthed and who was the lead man, was it you or Abacha obviously it would be a lot easier to point your blood stained finger at a dead man who is not alive to tell us his side of the story.

What was your principle reason for overthrowing your Boss, was it greed or poor governance by the Buhari /Idiagbon Goverment. If I can recollect clearly, your goverment turned out even worse than that of General Buhari another coupist who did not cover his back well enough,  Buhari was probably thinking then he had honourable army officers covering his flanks only to be knocked out by you and your co-collaborators.

I am sure b4 2011 you would throw more light on all these pressing questions that requires an immediate answer.
[color=#000099][/color]
Re: Ibb: Younger Generation Can’t Rule Nigeria by truly: 7:46am On Apr 18, 2010
',,,May be they are not given the proper education that is why. I have spent 17 years since I left office"

So this is the product of his laying solid foundation all the time
Did he have a plan for education 17 - 25 years ago?
No!
Will he have now

I sacked a governor for N300,000
Really?
So how did he make the money to build a mansion

a country like Nigeria cannot be ruled by people without experience
So he is the only one who has experience
he was president at 44!
This character has been instrumental to bringing us to where we are today
IBB-Shonekan-Abacha-Abdusalami-Obasanjo-Yaradua
So why did he bring Obj in 1999
If he believes that Nigeria deserves good governance
What did he do to procure
He only annuled a free and fair election to perpetuate his stay

Let him post the Okigbo report on the net
every lover of freedom should tackle this man now
he is a clear danger to progress
Re: Ibb: Younger Generation Can’t Rule Nigeria by Malcolm28(m): 7:47am On Apr 18, 2010
The younger people of this nation need to show this man that he cannot return in 2011. How can a man make such a sweeping statement that the younger people cannot rule this nations? He has done his part as a young man in the days he ruled Nigeria and the obvious is that he failed as one of the longest serving military ruler when he had absolute powers to make Nigeria heaven on earth with the massive oil windfall when the dollar exchanges for the Naira at 4.5.  This Man needs to to be stopped by the younger generations of Nigerians period. Its time to stand up, 2011 must count! If the man thinks he can play us Nigerians in 2010 like he did some 17 yrs before, he should wake up and smell the coffee - its a brand new day!
Re: Ibb: Younger Generation Can’t Rule Nigeria by Malcolm28(m): 7:49am On Apr 18, 2010
The battle line has been drawn! We must stop this man!
Re: Ibb: Younger Generation Can’t Rule Nigeria by KnowAll(m): 7:53am On Apr 18, 2010
If all Nigerians between the ages of 18 to 35 vote for somebody else, be assured this man would not win.
Re: Ibb: Younger Generation Can’t Rule Nigeria by sartorius(m): 8:20am On Apr 18, 2010
THE DEVIL YOU KNOW IS BETTER THAN THE ANGEL YOU DONT KNOW SOURCE YARADUA ET ALL

BUT HE CANT ANSWER SIMPLE QUESTIONS.

I WOULDNT HAVE MINDED IBB NUT I FEAR HE WOULD BE TOO POWERFUL SOURCE AREMU ET ALL
Re: Ibb: Younger Generation Can’t Rule Nigeria by ow11(m): 8:35am On Apr 18, 2010
I don't understand why this man still has supporters. Do they sincerely believe Nigeria's situation will improve beyond the mess it is in at the moment if IBB rules Nigeria again?

I am utterly disappointed that 'educated' people with access to Televisions still reason like this. cry cry
Re: Ibb: Younger Generation Can’t Rule Nigeria by KnowAll(m): 8:47am On Apr 18, 2010
The fact that some unruly men in uniform hijacked the Nigerian economy between 1983 to 1999 a period of 16 years, turning a boyant and vibrant economy into a basket case of undevelopment, wholesome illetracy, and both brain drain and capital flight is unforgivable. The truth must be said once in a while, the Hausa / Fulani destroyed Nigeria. Even now the Hausa / Fulani have the chance to pick a credible candidate from the North, yet they are bickering amongst themselves re-presenting and wheeling out the same men who undoubtedly have a case of subversion and mutiny to answer.

I cannot remember when coup plotting was excised from our common law, unless we pretend it has, as far as I am concerned and as far as the law stands today whether written or un-written, I still believe death by firing squad or hanging is the price those who endeavour in this kind of abject banditry. It would appear our law favours those who suceed in this outright subversion of our common wealth only rebuking those that failed, a policy rethink should commence, reprehension and justice should follow suit in tandem.

Why is some coup plotters still walking around with a swagger today, presenting themselves as Presidential Candidates, when their fellow colleagues such as Gidieon Orkar, Dimka and Vatsa had to pay the ultimate price.

This double standard needs to be revisited, rectified and the law applied accordingly, it is not only unfair to the likes of Dimka or Vatsa family it is cruel, evil and gross injustice. The day of reckoning and reproaching is at hand, IBB and Buhari should be apprehended wherever they are in the country and tried for their brazen and malicious mutiny. Even if they don't get the death penalty like their failed collegues, we should all abhor at the prospect of rewarding them with the higest office in the land, there permanent place of abode should be the gory arena of the Nigerian Prison, they should see and count themselves lucky to miss the hangman's noose only because they had a succesfu day in the game of death that they are a signatory to.
Re: Ibb: Younger Generation Can’t Rule Nigeria by chidichris(m): 9:06am On Apr 18, 2010
yea ibb is right because our votes do not count otherwise how can a normal man make such a statement?
anyways, that is what u got from pdp.
they have their powers in the inec chairman hence no other person(s) counts.
Re: Ibb: Younger Generation Can’t Rule Nigeria by kokoA(m): 9:22am On Apr 18, 2010
Can you imagine? The shameless old man said the younger ones lack proper education to lead Nigeria.Who contributed to fall of our educational standard? Is he alright?!
Re: Ibb: Younger Generation Can’t Rule Nigeria by vigasimple(m): 10:16am On Apr 18, 2010
We should keep a proper lookout for the game IBB and the North are playing.

IBB will be making nauseating remrks and behaviours to the point that we Nigerians will say anyone BUT IBB and therfore vote/elect/select another Fulani/Hausa incompetent and clueless leader like YAR A'CLUELESS.

The game here is how to retain Presidency in the NORTH because IBB will never be the President of this country because his records stinks so now he is self delusional utterances. Even from the interview , he has not achieve anything in 8 years of being a dictator and the youth generation of his time cannot by his own admission provideleadership.

I CAN LEADER 100 TIMES BETTER IBB if he must know, so are many more million Nigerians, for instance MIKEANSY on this site has brain 1000 times the size of IBB, and many countless others.

By the way Nigerians also always get the kind of leaders they deserve.

But check out this guy on YOUTUBE - Ishola Balogun, IBB will know that we have pople with vibrant minds who are not dictators and who did not come to power through the barrel of the guns.

IBB EMPTY BARRELS MAKING MOST NOISE FOR DIVERSION ONLY.
Re: Ibb: Younger Generation Can’t Rule Nigeria by sartorius(m): 11:48am On Apr 18, 2010
well its easy to say, but it seems you guys dont understand our political class and the system. ask pat or our dear Gani. there is only one party in nigeria. the opposition leaders only think of their self interests and so its gonnna be hard.
yaradua took us 3 years back due to his ill health and monolithic views on nigeria, he kept key portfolios to people who lacked capacity to manage and the end result is that programmes that were meant to be continued were jettisoned and a few good people were relieved of their posts.

at this point ,the ethno-religious sentiments have never been so highesp the north- south discord. I would be suprised if the pdp doesnt zone the presidency to the north and the primaries would be very interesting.

In view of these we need a stabilising force with an understanding of the complexities of nigeria, however i cant disagree less that the younger generation cant rule nigeria. BUT WHERE ARE THEY
Re: Ibb: Younger Generation Can’t Rule Nigeria by desgiezd(m): 11:57am On Apr 18, 2010
This statement is just a reflection of IBB's mind and it is also an insight into why the clique, the old cargoes recycling themselves are reluctant to let go of power. Why would anyone say the Pat Utomis, the Abubakar Umars, the El-Rufais, the Ribadus, the Soludos, the Jonathans, the Okonjo-Iwealas, the Fasholas in Nigeria can not rule Nigeria. I consider this a terrible slip of tongue and it is enough to make the youths in this country who are daily clamouring for a change reject him completely.
Re: Ibb: Younger Generation Can’t Rule Nigeria by dgr8truth(m): 2:36pm On Apr 18, 2010
This is country where every political, economic and societal miscreant says things they like, accountability an alien thought to them. IBB have insulted the younger generation beyond margin. He is more than responsible for the plagues this country Nigeria is suffering from.
Re: Ibb: Younger Generation Can’t Rule Nigeria by kosovo(m): 2:44pm On Apr 18, 2010
how come IBB has always read my mind? Nigeria is too complex for any young inexperience Nigeria to Govern. . .
Tribalism alone would cripple the government of such person, what Nigeria needs now is someone who has the experience and can tackle the problem of tribalism, before handing over the country to younger politicians . . .
Re: Ibb: Younger Generation Can’t Rule Nigeria by Nobody: 3:35pm On Apr 18, 2010
Why didn’t you step aside and give the younger generation a chance to lead since they are fresh and strong.
Because we have seen signs that they are not capable of leading this country and so we feel we should help them. May be they are not given the proper education that is why. I have spent 17 years since I left office.
Haba! The younger generation is supposed to be in charge by now.

is he referring to Jonathan's refusal to take control of power after it fell on his lap?

I think Jonathan should go home in 2011. The man is no leader at all.

He has'nt got it in him.
Re: Ibb: Younger Generation Can’t Rule Nigeria by CyberG: 4:41pm On Apr 18, 2010
Is it not the OLDER generation that IBB belongs to that has ruined the ONLY 1 chance of the younger generation at leading Nigeria? Now he accuses the younger generation of not being able to rule Nigeria? Factually, Obasanjo of the older generation engineered Yaradundu. . .the most inept and clueless human beings to rule Nigeria by proxy but this plot failed and so because of that no younger person can rule? If IBB becomes a candidate in the next elections, GOODBYE Nigeria and indeed, welcome to HELL!

By the way, it's curious to see that some people who were either too young to know anything about June 12 and the events of that time supporting IBB? Or perhaps, NL is now awash with cash-backed or cash-bought posters??
Re: Ibb: Younger Generation Can’t Rule Nigeria by OAM4J: 12:31am On Apr 19, 2010
Nonsense, Not a single impressive answer.

trueword:

Que: Nigeria is facing a lot of problems, if by the grace of God; you become the president again, what are these new things you never did in the past that you will want to employ in tackling these problems.

IBB: God in His infinite mercy gave me the leadership of this country for 8 years…. Remember the Nigerian people have not changed, and since they have not changed, we are in a position to tell them that we can do it again.

Que: If by the grace of God, you become the president what new thing will you do which you did not do during your eight years in power. Which are the mistakes you would want to correct?

IBB: The politicians are asking me what I forgot in  the Presidential Villa that I want to go and pick. When I left power, the naira was N22 to the dollar. Petrol was selling at 70 kobo per litre. So there are things that I did that will make me come back.

Anybody supporting this clueless guy must be dumb. Twice he was asked what he has to offer, twice he dribbled himself out of the answer. [size=14pt]IBB has nothing to offer[/size].
Re: Ibb: Younger Generation Can’t Rule Nigeria by MrIndomie(m): 1:02am On Apr 19, 2010
he is a joker.who does he think he is? a god or wat? angry angry angry he must be crazy.he thinks nigerians r that dumb to hv forgotten his misdeeds especially in 1993 wen we had to be using saw-dust as source of fuel to cook angry angry angry angry i wil nvr forgive the bhastard angry
Re: Ibb: Younger Generation Can’t Rule Nigeria by stiyke(m): 1:50am On Apr 19, 2010
Adding insult to injury
Re: Ibb: Younger Generation Can’t Rule Nigeria by Spyker: 10:56am On Apr 19, 2010
look, if AK47s are sold like GSM phones, by now IBB would have been history. Is Nigeria his property? Haaa.
If really "One man one vote"will count, ibb will not get more than one vote and that should be the one he cast for himself.
Re: Ibb: Younger Generation Can’t Rule Nigeria by joshO: 10:58am On Apr 19, 2010
What an idiot!
Re: Ibb: Younger Generation Can’t Rule Nigeria by bayori: 11:05am On Apr 19, 2010
IBB is a mamula!
Re: Ibb: Younger Generation Can’t Rule Nigeria by sunnykiss(m): 11:12am On Apr 19, 2010
IBB  is a fool, these are pple that destroyed Nigeria , they should be locked in the lion den
Re: Ibb: Younger Generation Can’t Rule Nigeria by 9ce(m): 11:26am On Apr 19, 2010
how come IBB has always read my mind? Nigeria is too complex for any young inexperience Nigeria to Govern. . .
Tribalism alone would cripple the government of such person, what Nigeria needs now is someone who has the experience and can tackle the problem of tribalism, before handing over the country to younger politicians . .

what are you insinuating?? undecided

Re: Ibb: Younger Generation Can’t Rule Nigeria by Feraz(m): 11:29am On Apr 19, 2010
Spyker:

look, if AK47s are sold like GSM phones, by now IBB would have been history. Is Nigeria his property? Haaa.
If really "One man one vote"will count, ibb will not get more than one vote and that should be the one he cast for himself.

don't be so sure because people like kosovo will vote him into power. As oam4j said, twice he dribbled the same question asked him.
We don't have the proper education right? No, it is his children that has d best education to rule Nigeria and continue his looting process right? What nonsense!!! People should not go for his campaign to show we really detest him.
Re: Ibb: Younger Generation Can’t Rule Nigeria by segunjowo(m): 11:30am On Apr 19, 2010
IBB is a curse to this country. Oh my God! can you imagine? the guy is coming to steal more money. help!!! Ole!
Re: Ibb: Younger Generation Can’t Rule Nigeria by 1Emmy: 11:33am On Apr 19, 2010
I have said it before and am still saying it. IBB is supposed to be arrested for treason, Murder and other atrocities he committed during his tenure. Is it because Nigeria is a country where people will kill @will and get away with it, otherwise will this murderer and destroyer who annulled a free and fair election eventually led to the death of many Nigerians even Abiola have the guts to aspire again. What did he forgot at ASO ROCK which he is coming back for.
IBB WE DON'T WANT YOU AGAIN.

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (Reply)

Expatriate Kidnapped In Lagos / Nigeria’s Corruption Caused Buhari’s Ill Health – Umenzekwe, APC Chieftain / Anambra State Govt Debunks Media Report on Evil Spirit in Govt House Awka

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 102
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.