Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,150,750 members, 7,809,868 topics. Date: Friday, 26 April 2024 at 04:22 PM

I Want To Quit My Job And Live On My Savings - Career (4) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Career / I Want To Quit My Job And Live On My Savings (19613 Views)

I Finally Quit My Bank Job For Bolt Driving / I Quit My Lagos Hotel Manager Job, Relocated To Abuja For Green Pasture -Emenalo / Do I Need To Quit My Job ? (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: I Want To Quit My Job And Live On My Savings by einsteine(m): 10:14am On Feb 05, 2018
InvertedHammer:

That's a big gamble as crypto is likely to enter into multi years of ranging. Take a cue from gold (parabolic rise followed by irrational exuberance, and now ranging). The sad part is that no matter how frugal you are, your fund cannot sustain you. You will be surprised at how many people hate their jobs but still have to do it. If Bill Gates, Dangote, Zuckerberg still wake up to go to work, I don't see why you shouldn't. Money is a limited resource.

By the way, crypto is played out. It will die a natural death. Smart money moved funds out in Nov/December. Retail investors will be left holding the bag. History has ways of repeating itself. Crypto is a fad and a gamble. It is never an investment. Like MMM, I expect the noise about crypto to die this year. In less than a month, it went from $10k to $19k. In less than a month, it went from $19k to $7.5k. I feel sorry for retailers.
/

Crypto =/=Bitcoin.

It is Bitcoin that went down from 19k to 7.5k. There are a number of cryptos that have 5x even in that same period. As for Bitcoin, with a lot of institutional investors coming into the space, it will GO UP. If you look at the price charts since 2012 for Bitcoin, january- march is usually bearish for bitcoin.

2 Likes

Re: I Want To Quit My Job And Live On My Savings by arrestdarrester: 10:15am On Feb 05, 2018
How solid is your investment? I mean how secure is it?
I personally have no qualms with early retirement but get it all figured out before you make a move. Have you figured out what you'll be doing with your time once off a job? Beware lest addictive vices find you idle.

By the way have you established the real reason you are not happy at your current job?

I advise you get a job where you do what you love and work for psychological reasons only.
Re: I Want To Quit My Job And Live On My Savings by sekem: 10:18am On Feb 05, 2018
multibalotel:

You don't understand what it means to do the job u don't have a passion for.. it's a slow killer and weighs u down emotionally .. U may be seeing good money but d joy isn't there ... those people u mentioned there are doing what they love doing... we Nigerians sef... Always thinking money is king

Don't mind all those nigerians

Most of them have this deadly poverty mentality

And it is the poverty mentality that makes them keep thinking money is the ONLY motivating factor in any human endeavor.

Like one famous speaker once said, some people are so poor that all they have is just money grin

2 Likes

Re: I Want To Quit My Job And Live On My Savings by bobbyL(m): 10:19am On Feb 05, 2018
sabanageorge:
Please no bad words.

I have a sizable number of investments. Every month I make about 400k from my investments. I also invested in crypto. The market has been crazy these past weeks, but even with the recession I have about $100k. But I have not cashed out. I don't want to. I want to keep it till year's end, when it may be bigger or maybe zero. who knows.
Then I have my job, which isn't bad, which has earned me all of this. But I'm getting tired of it already and I want to quit. Hoping to live on the 400k I make every month from my investments and a possible larger payout from crypto by the end of the year. What do you think?

Just a few words of advice.

A part of me wishes your thread is in the sections and not on the front page. However, I may not have found it.

Read your post on your saving and investing habit and it's great to see someone doing something I would like to keep doing and doing it well. I don't think I'm near 90% though.

Trust me, enough patient wealth has been built that way.

On your job, it really depends on you. I see you are a well informed investor. Maybe I'll do you a mail.
Nigeria is a highly inflationary environment, so you need to have adequate capital and be able to generate high returns relative to inflation and - although captured under inflation - currency risk. 400k is not bad but I want to believe you compound your wealth. Compounding is really the magic of investing..

For example, say the 400k a month and 4.8m a year amounts to c. 15%, (don't forget that interest rates were relatively elevated and are just moderating, so it may even be unsustainable), that would mean a N32m capital. You have to be able to invest this, compound it and then be able to withdraw funds for living expenses. Compounding at 20% will give you N 1.2b after 20 years and N 47b after 40 (20% is not common in a global sense though).

The main thing is that you are able to compound while drawing funds. If you could withdraw low single digits, it would be great, possibly 4% or less (hypothetical) . 400k a month at 4% per annum means you have N120m capital. Compound that at 15% and you have N1.96b and N32b after 20 and 40 years respectively.

So, yes, you can quit, if you have a way or are capable of compounding well above inflation and withdrawing only a small percentage of returns for spending. Not only will you retain purchasing power but the amount you can withdraw can keep increasing year after year as well (if you can, you can keep the amount constant or increase it slightly to enable you compound even more).

On another note, since this is tied to quitting your job, have you considered OPM since you have some investment knowledge. I have been considering this too and maybe we could get in touch (I don't have plenty money though). You can respond if you're okay with me contacting you.

Cheers.

6 Likes

Re: I Want To Quit My Job And Live On My Savings by jaychubi: 10:20am On Feb 05, 2018
Kingbuhari:
400k... op sharap even Trump don't earn that much monthly, average annual salary for doctors in US is less than 200k... how much more menial
worker like u

haba he meant 400k naira not USD
Re: I Want To Quit My Job And Live On My Savings by americanson: 10:23am On Feb 05, 2018
multibalotel:

You don't understand what it means to do the job u don't have a passion for.. it's a slow killer and weighs u down emotionally .. U may be seeing good money but d joy isn't there ... those people u mentioned there are doing what they love doing... we Nigerians sef... Always thinking money is king
I am all for doing what you love BUT OP sounded like he wanna resign and do nothing else apart from earning from crypto and 400k monthly... He can look for something else to do to increase the 400k to 1M monthly pay. That is what I mean by hunger for more. It appear he just want to relax on his achievements so far. I wouldn't do that if I were in his shoes.
Re: I Want To Quit My Job And Live On My Savings by jaychubi: 10:26am On Feb 05, 2018
einsteine:

If you are unhappy with your job, please quit.

About Cryptoprofits, remember paper profit is not real until you have cashed out. I would recomend cashing out some of your cryptos and starting something to engage yourself in. Remember, work is not just for money but for living. You won't know this until you quit and get depressed just because there's nothing to do.

spot on at the bolded
Re: I Want To Quit My Job And Live On My Savings by Chrisfamous5(m): 10:37am On Feb 05, 2018
Firstly, open a business that you can comfortably run on your own or with the aid of one or two employees.. Then when it is about to stabilize, you can then quit your job full time... Money making is an endless journey so dont be swayed by what you have now.. Keep striving to make more.. See you at the very top bro

1 Like

Re: I Want To Quit My Job And Live On My Savings by omonnakoda: 10:50am On Feb 05, 2018
americanson:
I am all for doing what you love BUT OP sounded like he wanna resign and do nothing else apart from earning from crypto and 400k monthly... He can look for something else to do to increase the 400k to 1M monthly pay. That is what I mean by hunger for more. It appear he just want to relax on his achievements so far. I wouldn't do that if I were in his shoes.
Oloriburuku somebody? How market? I never run o!
How far?
E ku palemo ti oku iya re asinwin
Ogun ma paa gbogbo ile yin danu
Re: I Want To Quit My Job And Live On My Savings by Burgerlomo: 10:55am On Feb 05, 2018
Somebody with 30 billions 4 account with a very rich pop as backup didn't quit his job to live on his savings but instead the nigga is still jumping from one corner of the stage to another cool
Re: I Want To Quit My Job And Live On My Savings by Kingbuhari(m): 10:56am On Feb 05, 2018
jaychubi:

haba he meant 400k naira not USD
I didn't see any naira there
Re: I Want To Quit My Job And Live On My Savings by gemini6228: 10:58am On Feb 05, 2018
sabanageorge:
Please no bad words.

I have a sizable number of investments. Every month I make about 400k from my investments. I also invested in crypto. The market has been crazy these past weeks, but even with the recession I have about $100k. But I have not cashed out. I don't want to. I want to keep it till year's end, when it may be bigger or maybe zero. who knows.
Then I have my job, which isn't bad, which has earned me all of this. But I'm getting tired of it already and I want to quit. Hoping to live on the 400k I make every month from my investments and a possible larger payout from crypto by the end of the year. What do you think?
I

Please help with the investments you are into. I need to invest badly bro.
Re: I Want To Quit My Job And Live On My Savings by aprilwise(m): 11:11am On Feb 05, 2018
sabanageorge:
Please no bad words.

I want u to introduce me into ur business. pls.
Re: I Want To Quit My Job And Live On My Savings by bayulll011(m): 11:19am On Feb 05, 2018
sabanageorge:
Please no bad words.

boss in the same dilemma like u.
i need peace of mind but my own money no reach urs oo.

can u share business idea,will be glad.

will PM u soon.

bros cash out 50k from that crypto and leave 50,u know what i mean is a win win

1 Like

Re: I Want To Quit My Job And Live On My Savings by Analysiscorner: 11:22am On Feb 05, 2018
Cash out from crypto currency first. Then, if your job is disturbing your needed attention in your investments, please quit. If not, continue with it. So many people keeping paid jobs are still there cause of extra savings they make from such.
Re: I Want To Quit My Job And Live On My Savings by BIXYBABE: 11:31am On Feb 05, 2018
God will see u through
Re: I Want To Quit My Job And Live On My Savings by leonard002(m): 11:35am On Feb 05, 2018
Don't quit!
Re: I Want To Quit My Job And Live On My Savings by samuelchimmy(m): 11:58am On Feb 05, 2018
keep your job, I know you can't wait to stop that work, I know that feeling, when you have another stream of income, but don't give up now, work harder, see you don't know how things will turn out in future, your investments can not be a sure guarantee,keep making your cool cash, and retire once!

look at me, what do I know self, me that is earning below 20k
Re: I Want To Quit My Job And Live On My Savings by newslifeop: 12:01pm On Feb 05, 2018
Hmmmmm
Re: I Want To Quit My Job And Live On My Savings by IamProdigy: 12:48pm On Feb 05, 2018
rozayx5:

You can in the crypto space

Get informed

Me and op in the same field so I know what he is saying

I don't have a job but I live fine

A well planned coin offering can raise 20m$ in minutes

the way this crypto stuff confuses me...ehn...
How can one start it up...does it need a large capital?
Re: I Want To Quit My Job And Live On My Savings by joinnow: 12:49pm On Feb 05, 2018
sabanageorge:
Please no bad words.

What I see is your inner will pushing out.
Richdad said if your investment can bring in money equal to your salary you can quit the job and focus on growing the investment more.
Always have it in your mind that you have to also invest in real estate.
To your success
Re: I Want To Quit My Job And Live On My Savings by Nobody: 12:50pm On Feb 05, 2018
DROP UR MAIL
einsteine:

Crypto =/=Bitcoin.

It is Bitcoin that went down from 19k to 7.5k. There are a number of cryptos that have 5x even in that same period. As for Bitcoin, with a lot of institutional investors coming into the space, it will GO UP. If you look at the price charts since 2012 for Bitcoin, january- march is usually bearish for bitcoin.
Re: I Want To Quit My Job And Live On My Savings by bebeto94: 1:11pm On Feb 05, 2018
sabanageorge:
Please no bad words.

bross, since i don't know u, which investment can u get 400k every month
Re: I Want To Quit My Job And Live On My Savings by einsteine(m): 2:40pm On Feb 05, 2018
Teetopz:
DROP UR MAIL

Got business for me?

einsteinesegbue at gmail dot com
Re: I Want To Quit My Job And Live On My Savings by jclassiq(m): 3:14pm On Feb 05, 2018
hungryboy:
i was hoping to see a guy who had 2billion naira in the bank, with 1.5 billion of it in fixed deposit giving him 10 - 15% interest yearly and the other 500million in a savings account, saying this.

With this mentality, its no wonder you are hungry, boy!
Re: I Want To Quit My Job And Live On My Savings by InvertedHammer: 3:37pm On Feb 05, 2018
einsteine:

Crypto =/=Bitcoin.

Bitcoin is the leader and that's what comes to mind when you mention crypto. A rising tide takes everything up with it and vice versa. All the mom and pop crypto out there are on pump and dump mechanism. How do I explain it? When MMM was dying, there were many MMMish gimmicks that were started but they are withered away with MMM. The same format is playing out.

Major governments of the world are going against cryptos. From Singapore, China, India to US. The main rule in financial investment is " Don't fight the Central banks"
/
Re: I Want To Quit My Job And Live On My Savings by einsteine(m): 3:50pm On Feb 05, 2018
InvertedHammer:

Bitcoin is the leader and that's what comes to mind when you mention crypto. A rising tide takes everything up with it and vice versa. All the mom and pop crypto out there are on pump and dump mechanism. How do I explain it? When MMM was dying, there were many MMMish gimmicks that were started but they are withered away with MMM. The same format is playing out.

Major governments of the world are going against cryptos. From Singapore, China, India to US. The main rule in financial investment is " Don't fight the Central banks"
/

There is no use arguing with you. If you truly think Bitcoin is going to crash, why not go on an exchange now and short BTC? Unlike MMM, there is a way to make some money if you truly think Bitcoin would crash. In 2013, Bitcoin crashed from $1000 to $90. What happened after? The fact that coming next month, a lot of Chicago CTAs (Commodity trading advisors) are going to start trading BTC should tell you that BTC would bounce back. Bitcoin would still hit $40000 here.

P.S. There really is nothing the Central banks can do about bitcoin. It is decentralized for a reason.

3 Likes

Re: I Want To Quit My Job And Live On My Savings by camiva: 4:08pm On Feb 05, 2018
please were else can you invest aside crypto currency and biitcoin. i need that kind of return. thank you.
sabanageorge:
Please no bad words.

Re: I Want To Quit My Job And Live On My Savings by ghiloman28(m): 4:11pm On Feb 05, 2018
HOW CAN I TRADE CRYPTO ?
rozayx5:

You can in the crypto space

Get informed

Me and op in the same field so I know what he is saying

I don't have a job but I live fine

A well planned coin offering can raise 20m$ in minutes
Re: I Want To Quit My Job And Live On My Savings by ghiloman28(m): 4:42pm On Feb 05, 2018
HOW CAN I GO ABOUT IT. WANT TO TAKE THE RISK
einsteine:

There is no use arguing with you. If you truly think Bitcoin is going to crash, why not go on an exchange now and short BTC? Unlike MMM, there is a way to make some money if you truly think Bitcoin would crash. In 2013, Bitcoin crashed from $1000 to $90. What happened after? The fact that coming next month, a lot of Chicago CTAs (Commodity trading advisors) are going to start trading BTC should tell you that BTC would bounce back. Bitcoin would still hit $40000 here.

P.S. There really is nothing the Central banks can do about bitcoin. It is decentralized for a reason.
Re: I Want To Quit My Job And Live On My Savings by einsteine(m): 4:52pm On Feb 05, 2018
ghiloman28:
HOW CAN I GO ABOUT IT. WANT TO TAKE THE RISK

Open an account on Binance and trade away. You are as likely, if not more likely, to lose your money as to make money if you don't know what you are doing.

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (Reply)

Why Did You Leave Your Last Job? / 5 Work-from-home Jobs In Nigeria / The Problems With Learning A Handwork.

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 91
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.