Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,153,581 members, 7,820,092 topics. Date: Tuesday, 07 May 2024 at 09:35 AM

How To Tell If Your Car Tyres Have Expired - Car Talk (2) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Car Talk / How To Tell If Your Car Tyres Have Expired (20833 Views)

How To Know When Car Tyres Need Replacing / How To Tell If Your Car Tyres Are Expired / See What A Melting Road Did To Car Tyres After An Heavy Rain & Sun In Australia (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: How To Tell If Your Car Tyres Have Expired by nurey(m): 3:56pm On Feb 06, 2018
CaptainFM1:

You are very wrong! Tires do expire. That post has just explained how to check the expiry date. I suggest you read it again and again...then go change those tires you recently bought that reads 2407, before you put peoples life in danger. (They may look new and well threaded, but trust me, they have expired).

Yes, tires do expire. I'm surprised you don't that!

You are the one that is wrong, please quote a Tyre manufacturer and show evidence where they said there Tyre expires so so so time from manufactured date
Re: How To Tell If Your Car Tyres Have Expired by nurey(m): 3:57pm On Feb 06, 2018
AceVentura:

Oversabi!!!
You've been informed already. If you like, create your own theory. All the best to you.
ITK
You have been informed already You can wallow in ignorance or seek for knowledge
Re: How To Tell If Your Car Tyres Have Expired by nurey(m): 4:00pm On Feb 06, 2018
CaptainFM1:

Do not misinform people.

1. Tyres do expire
2. You are not suppose to rethread a tyre. Instead tyre manufacturers melt old tires and remould a new one.

When people choose to live in a shell, good things pass them by. There are tires that can be rethreaded Google is your friend
Re: How To Tell If Your Car Tyres Have Expired by CaptainFM1: 4:09pm On Feb 06, 2018
symbianDON:
tyre manufacturers aren't s.t.up.id....if the only state manufacturing dates and not expiry dates then they no exactly what they are doing! someone stated up there....and it's quite true....tyres don't expire! they simply degrade! besides, FRSC and the op should educate us on this....do cheap and substandard tyres brands like triangle, boto (made in china) also share the so-called 4 year expiration date with high quality tyre brands like Pirelli, Dunlop etc (European and American etc made)?

They put manufacturing date so that each individual country can establish her expiration period. And this is subject to several varying factors... E.g, temperature, road terrain, car service regimes/compliance etc...all in a bid to enhance safety. FRCS usually takes 5yrs max.

Degraded can be very subjective. And as such peoples life cannot be toiled on that point of view. A tire that appears to have been degraded to one may just look perfect to another person....

Degraded can be subjected to poverty also... If I don't have the money to change a tire yet, I will simply say it has not yet full degraded!

Why do you think some manufacturer's started adopting the word " best before"? Its just simply the same thing as degraded! It simply means its no longer the best, but you can still manage it, however you will not get maximum satisfaction from it.
Re: How To Tell If Your Car Tyres Have Expired by CaptainFM1: 4:11pm On Feb 06, 2018
nurey:

You are the one that is wrong, please quote a Tyre manufacturer and show evidence where they said there Tyre expires so so so time from manufactured date

They put manufacturing date so that each individual country can establish her expiration period. And this is subject to several varying factors... E.g, temperature, road terrain, car service regimes/compliance etc...all in a bid to enhance safety. FRCS usually takes 5yrs max.

Degraded can be very subjective. And as such peoples life cannot be toiled on that point of view. A tire that appears to have been degraded to one may just look perfect to another person....

Degraded can be subjected to poverty also... If I don't have the money to change a tire yet, I will simply say it has not yet full degraded!

Why do you think some manufacturer's started adopting the word " best before"? Its just simply the same thing as degraded! It simply means its no longer the best, but you can still manage it, however you will not get maximum satisfaction from it.
Re: How To Tell If Your Car Tyres Have Expired by nurey(m): 4:18pm On Feb 06, 2018
CaptainFM1:

Haaa a, now you wan twist English just to prove a point. I told you tires don't have expiry date you are still arguing. Dunlop can recommend usage of its tire for 8 years while a car manufacturer can recommend changing tire in their cars every 3 years.

Tire service life is not determined only by year of manufacture, it is determined by thread wear and side wall wear. It's only in Nigeria where we don't manufacture anything we prove we know it all.

Also tyre burst on highway is caused majorly by over inflation by vulcanizer when the car owner himself doesn't even know the recommended tire Psi for his/her car

1 Like

Re: How To Tell If Your Car Tyres Have Expired by CaptainFM1: 4:45pm On Feb 06, 2018
Gentlemen,

Why are we arguing on this subject?

The FRSC is the final arbitrar and custodian as far as road safety is concerned in Nigeria.

If they say; tires have expiry date, do not use rethreaded tires et al, They know why they established that facts and have repeatedly explained that in most of the dailies.

If you need more clarification, please visit your nearest FRSC station.
Re: How To Tell If Your Car Tyres Have Expired by CaptainFM1: 4:45pm On Feb 06, 2018
nurey:

Haaa a, now you wan twist English just to prove a point. I told you tires don't have expiry date you are still arguing. Dunlop can recommend usage of its tire for 8 years while a car manufacturer can recommend changing tire in their cars every 3 years.

Tire service life is not determined only by year of manufacture, it is determined by thread wear and side wall wear. It's only in Nigeria where we don't manufacture anything we prove we know it all.

Also tyre burst on highway is caused majorly by over inflation by vulcanizer when the car owner himself doesn't even know the recommended tire Psi for his/her car

Gentlemen,

Why are we arguing on this subject?

The FRSC is the final arbitrar and custodian as far as road safety is concerned in Nigeria.

If they say; tires have expiry date, do not use rethreaded tires et al, They know why they established that facts and have repeatedly explained that in most of the dailies.

If you need more clarification, please visit your nearest FRSC station
Re: How To Tell If Your Car Tyres Have Expired by ablaque(m): 4:48pm On Feb 06, 2018
ken4jj:

@OP,
Forget about that nonsense from FRSC. Tyre expiration is not done by date of manufacture and even the developed countries that manufactured it do not use date not to talk of Naija that did not manufacture pin.

If tyres expire, why didn't the manufacturers put the expiration date on it? Is it difficult to put? Tyres can stay up to 10 years depending on several factors and when it gets bad you will know and not by one stupid date.

I luv ds but will u be able to say this to FRSC staff on patrol
Re: How To Tell If Your Car Tyres Have Expired by CaptainFM1: 4:54pm On Feb 06, 2018
nurey:

When people choose to live in a shell, good things pass them by. There are tires that can be rethreaded Google is your friend

Do you know how google search engines work? It simply gives you information based on what you entered.

Now, let's do this again, how about you searching:

1. " FRSC position on tire expiration"
2. " FRSC position on rethreading of tires"

The last time I checked, FRSC is still the final arbitrar and custodian of road safety in Nigeria.
Re: How To Tell If Your Car Tyres Have Expired by nurey(m): 6:03pm On Feb 06, 2018
CaptainFM1:

Do you know how google search engines work? It simply gives you information based on what you entered.

Now, let's do this again, how about you searching:

1. " FRSC position on tire expiration"
2. " FRSC position on rethreading of tires"

The last time I checked, FRSC is still the final arbitrar and custodian of road safety in Nigeria.

You just talk like a typical Nigerian. Even FRSC that are in charge of road safety have tyres that befits burial ground, cars meant for chop shops and reckless driving just to force drivers to give them bribe.

I can't follow frsc rules cause they make laws just to fleece the gullible and masses. I also repeat, there are tyres that are made to be rethreaded and tyres don't have expiry date.

I rest my case
Re: How To Tell If Your Car Tyres Have Expired by idom101: 10:13pm On Feb 06, 2018
Good
Re: How To Tell If Your Car Tyres Have Expired by ivoryhouse(m): 10:42am On Feb 07, 2018
nurey:

I was about to say that tires burst/explode mainly due to over-inflation. I also do not belive that tires expire. What document guided FRSC to deciding that tires expire? Which manufactures' manual did they use?
Have you forgotten back in the day when commercial drivers and even some private car owners convert their tubless tires to tubed tires? How is it that countries like the USA, Canada and other western countries check your tire wear and not expirey date? We are not more safety conscious than these countries,and remember that these countries started using these cars long before us and were even the ones that first manufactured the tires.
FRSC that does not do research will now come out to tell Nigerians that tires (FRSC did not produce) expires? It's your responsibility to check your tires and replace them when you feel they have outlived their safety threshold or when they are no longer safe to use.
Re: How To Tell If Your Car Tyres Have Expired by lildush(m): 6:49pm On Feb 10, 2018
Britishcoins:
God please provide someone who will help me to raise capital to start anything doing, I am tired of been apprentice.

amen my brother.... i feel wat u feel.. d lord wil settle u on every side dis year
Re: How To Tell If Your Car Tyres Have Expired by Britishcoins(m): 10:24am On Feb 11, 2018
lildush:

amen my brother.... i feel wat u feel.. d lord wil settle u on every side dis year
AMEN
Re: How To Tell If Your Car Tyres Have Expired by 9icetoo(m): 12:12pm On Feb 11, 2018
CaptainFM1:

I have followed this thread and I knew it will get to this.
firstly, tires yes do expire but do not have expiry dates.
no one can expressly say when a tire will or should expire. even the tire manufacturers realise that a myriad of factors influence how quickly a tire degrades.
I hope you do not work with FRSC cos if you do, you are working with the most useless organ of the government. if I become the president tomorrow, the act that established them, will be nullified and the commission scrapped.

FRSC and SON has not published the white paper or research they used in coming up with the 4 year lifespan for tyres. I am still waiting for that research. they just woke up one morning after a night spent sniffing glue to declare four years as the expiry date for tires. good lawd!

tires are not an independent component of a car. they are part and parcel of the entire car. therefore before a vehicle is declared roadworthy by VIO/FRSC (VIO is also useless), shouldn't they have confirmed the tyres on the car are okay and put an advisory on the road worthiness certificate?
let's leave that for another decade cos it is beyond them.

no car manufacturer has come out to say his tyres expire at so so period.
michelin, pirelli, Dunlop, Goodyear etc have not done that however they recommend you replace your tyres even when they haven't been used after 10 years.
they also recommend you inspect the tire for bulges, cuts, deformations, flakiness, thread depth etc.
these inspections are what should be done by the frsc and VIO. ask the nearest FRSC man the minimum thread depth for a tyre to be road worthy and I trust he won't know. all he knows is how to check the production date of a tire; add 4 years and write you a bloody ticket cos he has expired the tyre by himself.

do FRSC guys expire caterpillar tyres after 4 years too?

captain, some tyres were designed to be rethreaded. the tyre manufacturers made them so and they know better than you and FRSC and VIO and son combined.

I have posted pictures on this forum where I showed a 2013 tyre that had developed cracks well before my 2012 tyres. various factors affect tyre degradation. I have brand new tires not because FRSC said so but because the older tyres became bad and new tyres (softer rubber) provide more grip on the road.

I guess my rant is over. i need a bottle of origin abeg. una sabi vex person for this Nairaland. mchtew.

(1) (2) (Reply)

Since Petrol Is Now 650per Litter, Our Car Is On Vacation! / Tesla Model 3 Is America’s Best-selling Premium Car In 2018 / Please What Is FRSC's Stand On Google Map

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 59
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.