Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,153,239 members, 7,818,814 topics. Date: Monday, 06 May 2024 at 05:33 AM

Please What Is FRSC's Stand On Google Map - Car Talk - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Car Talk / Please What Is FRSC's Stand On Google Map (20846 Views)

FRSC Gives Condition For Use Of Google Map While Driving / FRSC: Using Google Map While Driving Is A Serious Offence / Types Of Vehicles And The Amount Of Fire Extinguisher(s) They Should Have – FRSC (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (Reply) (Go Down)

Please What Is FRSC's Stand On Google Map by Lush100(m): 2:34am On Dec 04, 2019
Dear folks, so far, I've read two conflicting information from two different FRSC spokesperson on Google map.
The spokesperson who spoke from Abuja says it's an offense while the spokesperson from Lagos says it's not an offense but it could lead to distractions and that users should set it in motion before setting out for destination,
Please which is it?
An offense or not.

6 Likes 2 Shares

Re: Please What Is FRSC's Stand On Google Map by GeeMeshin1(m): 8:43pm On Dec 04, 2019
Re: Please What Is FRSC's Stand On Google Map by FEGEITOK: 10:59pm On Dec 04, 2019

1 Like 1 Share

Re: Please What Is FRSC's Stand On Google Map by feelme3(m): 10:29am On Dec 05, 2019
Set your location, set your destination, click go.
Click start to activate. And hang device on device holder in your car before engaging drive. Shikena.

That is the process for using GMaps safely.

See FRSC clarification on link below
https://frsc.gov.ng/use-of-phone-to-access-google-map-app-while-driving-frscs-true-position/

25 Likes

Re: Please What Is FRSC's Stand On Google Map by EgunMogaji2: 10:32am On Dec 05, 2019
It should be an offense.

Anytime you drive a motor vehicle and have a telephone device in your hand causes a distraction.

I followed some numpty oPay okada rider who was actively pressing his phone as he was riding.

20 Likes

Re: Please What Is FRSC's Stand On Google Map by Lush100(m): 5:10pm On Dec 05, 2019
all right. thanks.
someone above said we should set the location put on the phone holder device.

that's why i am asking because i have the holder device, i want to be sure, the holder-device is not what FRSC will be looking out for.

because i know people in uniform can be very "funny"

EgunMogaji2:
It should be an offense.

Anytime you drive a motor vehicle and have a telephone device in your hand causes a distraction.

I followed some numpty oPay okada rider who was actively pressing his phone as he was riding.

6 Likes

Re: Please What Is FRSC's Stand On Google Map by Lush100(m): 5:10pm On Dec 05, 2019
Thanks so much.

that's why i am asking because i have the holder device, i want to be sure, the holder-device is not what FRSC will be looking out for.

because i know people in uniform can be very "funny"

feelme3:
Set your location, set your destination, click go.
Click start to activate. And hang device on device holder in your car before engaging drive. Shikena.

That is the process for using GMaps safely.

See FRSC clarification on link below
https://frsc.gov.ng/use-of-phone-to-access-google-map-app-while-driving-frscs-true-position/
Re: Please What Is FRSC's Stand On Google Map by omakay(m): 5:20pm On Dec 05, 2019
Let this FRSC people tell us exactly what they want.

Normally, a smart phone with active gps map is supposed to be used with a phone holder ( we no need frsc to tell us that one).

You cannot be actively driving and be navigating your way with your phone in your hand. That is suicide and such a person should be hanged (That is Hate-Speech-Driving).

But if FRSC is cancelling smartphone gps maps altogether, thereby limiting us to gps map embedded in the dashboard system, they should clearly state that.

As for the person who was arrested by officials of FRSC for using gps maps while driving, she did not tell us if she was using it with a phone-holder or she held it in her hands.

28 Likes 1 Share

Re: Please What Is FRSC's Stand On Google Map by 9icetoo(m): 6:25pm On Dec 05, 2019
Like someone else posted here, it's not a crime as long as you are holding the phone while driving.
Cars come equipped these days with GPS and Satnavs on the dashboard. To the best of my knowledge, FRSC has not banned their use in such cars(how they can even do that is beyond me but don't put it beyond them. They can be brain dead sometimes).

There are other items in your car that take your eyes away from the road for a few seconds at a time e.g instrument cluster (which you check from time to time for temperature, fuel level, etc), rear view mirror and side mirrors ( which you check for situational awareness etc).

The map on your phone is just an added feature to car and if used "correctly", shouldn't pose additional risks in using a car.
It shouldn't and in my books isn't an offence if used correctly.

12 Likes 2 Shares

Re: Please What Is FRSC's Stand On Google Map by qanda: 6:53am On Dec 06, 2019
Re: Please What Is FRSC's Stand On Google Map by naptu2: 6:54am On Dec 06, 2019
Lush100:
Dear folks, so far, I've read two conflicting information from two different FRSC spokesperson on Google map.
The spokesperson who spoke from Abuja says it's an offense while the spokesperson from Lagos says it's not an offense but it could lead to distractions and that users should set it in motion before setting out for destination,
Please which is it?
An offense or not.

It's simple

naptu2:
FRSC and Google maps

Nigerians love drama and ghenghen! We are often consumed by sentiments, sensation and drama.

That's why it's often hard to solve even the simplest problems and that's why minor issues get blown out of proportion.

One of the symptoms of this is our inability to listen and comprehend. We don't hear what's being said because our minds are blocked by what we think or expect the person to say. Our minds are also often blocked by sentiments like anger, shock, fear, pride, etc.

I had to caution my driver a few months ago because I was shocked by what he was doing. I couldn't believe that he was doing what he was doing and I couldn't believe that he was doing it while I was in the car.

This man held his phone in his right hand and was looking at it while driving. I ordered him to stop and his excuse was that he was trying to find the best route to take. I told him that I don't ever want to see him doing it again.

Now, there's an uproar because of an announcement that the FRSC has banned motorists from using Google Maps and that people that use it will be arrested. There's further confusion because of another announcement from the FRSC which a lot of people mistakenly believe contradicts the first announcement.

Here's the simple truth

As was said in the second announcement, the issue is not about Google Maps, rather it's about how you use it.

1) It is illegal for you to hold your phone in one hand and look at it while driving. That split second when your eyes are off the road and your hands are off the wheel could be the difference between life and death.

2) It is also illegal for you to punch in directions into your phone, even if the phone is mounted on the dash board. Your hand will also be off the wheel and your eyes will be off the road.

3) But there's nothing wrong if you programme your destination before moving and the phone then gives you verbal directions. There's absolutely nothing wrong with that. Your eyes will be on the road and your hands will be on the wheel (it's just like listening to the radio).

So, you see, it's not about Google Maps, rather it's about how you use it.

11 Likes

Re: Please What Is FRSC's Stand On Google Map by MANNABBQGRILLS: 6:54am On Dec 06, 2019
.........while the spokesperson from Lagos says it's not an offense but it could lead to distractions and that users should set it in motion before setting out for destination,
Here you have it............

3 Likes 4 Shares

Re: Please What Is FRSC's Stand On Google Map by Qween098: 6:54am On Dec 06, 2019
I don't think it should be an offence
Re: Please What Is FRSC's Stand On Google Map by MANNABBQGRILLS: 6:55am On Dec 06, 2019
EgunMogaji2:
It should be an offense.

You believe it is an offense?

Bogeren:
If it is being used in the right way, You are right.

2 Likes 3 Shares

Re: Please What Is FRSC's Stand On Google Map by pennywys(m): 6:55am On Dec 06, 2019
Nigeria under mohammadu buhari administration is a confuse entity

5 Likes 2 Shares

Re: Please What Is FRSC's Stand On Google Map by adesegun121(m): 6:56am On Dec 06, 2019
Ok
Re: Please What Is FRSC's Stand On Google Map by Bogeren(m): 6:56am On Dec 06, 2019
Re: Please What Is FRSC's Stand On Google Map by Criticaltemp: 6:57am On Dec 06, 2019
God knows i dont even use that google map thing. If i no know road, i ask the person wey dey waka for leg pass

11 Likes 3 Shares

Re: Please What Is FRSC's Stand On Google Map by Olaolex: 6:58am On Dec 06, 2019
omakay:
Let this FRSC people tell us exactly what they want.

Normally, a smart phone with active gps map is supposed to be used with a phone holder ( we no need frsc to tell us that one).

You cannot be actively driving and be navigating your way with your phone in your hand. That is suicide and such a person should be hanged (That is Hate-Speech-Driving).

But if FRSC is cancelling smartphone gps maps altogether, thereby limiting us to gps map embedded in the dashboard system, they should clearly state that.

As for the person who was arrested by officials of FRSC for using gps maps while driving, she did not tell us if she was using it with a phone-holder or she held it in her hands.
hate speech driving? Hnnnnn!

1 Like

Re: Please What Is FRSC's Stand On Google Map by Wasky101: 6:59am On Dec 06, 2019
Ok
Re: Please What Is FRSC's Stand On Google Map by Olaolex: 7:00am On Dec 06, 2019
Criticaltemp:
G
for goat

1 Like 1 Share

Re: Please What Is FRSC's Stand On Google Map by Passionate888: 7:05am On Dec 06, 2019
I don't 'knoweth'
Re: Please What Is FRSC's Stand On Google Map by GOFRONT(m): 7:06am On Dec 06, 2019
Where else in this small Nigeria do I need a gps to go to??.... When Roads, streets, Crescents and Close don full for my head already... grin

For those of us wen be Waka-dugbe, na Gps even dey ask us for direction.....

6 Likes

Re: Please What Is FRSC's Stand On Google Map by Mutemenot(m): 7:07am On Dec 06, 2019
Do we really have a working Google map here in Nigeria?
Re: Please What Is FRSC's Stand On Google Map by Stalwert: 7:07am On Dec 06, 2019
Let's us learn to use of common sense, you cannot be handling a phone when driving, in Abuja you will be immediately sent for psychiatric hospital for evaluation. Hence you are supposed to have a phone holder in your car that is already programmed with where you are going.

1 Like

Re: Please What Is FRSC's Stand On Google Map by MobilityExpress: 7:09am On Dec 06, 2019
It cannot and should never be an offense to use GPS while driving, unless you want to say Nigeria is a stone age Banana republic country. Since the new millennium it is the norm to have GPS navigation factory fitted into airplanes, into cars etc to help create more orderly road movement, even as of now, driverless cars have been invented with computers that rely mainly on GPS navigation and the vehicle sensors and cameras to get to its destination safely unaided by human interaction. There are phone holders that hold the phone firm and display navigation info for the driver to aid his driving, or like I usually do, put my phone down in the cup holder or storage box and automatically routes to my car"s audition system via bluetooth and I hear the google navigation directions through my vehicle speakers, same way as to receive calls. Now how can you say that is illegal, how? Countless un-roadworthy trucks plying the highways, countless un-roadworthy danfos plying inner cities, countless car parks where alcohol is being sold to drivers, countless bad roads, countless under age drivers, countless road hazards along the way like broken trucks, illegal checkpoints and insecurity, yet they didn't see all these to tackle, they want to be haunting citizens that have embraced technology for easy driving. Useless people, mtshewwwww!

10 Likes 2 Shares

Re: Please What Is FRSC's Stand On Google Map by bigtt76(f): 7:09am On Dec 06, 2019
All FRSC officials are trying to say is that ....don't do this while driving #ThankMeLater cheesy

Lush100:
Please which is it?
An offense or not.

Re: Please What Is FRSC's Stand On Google Map by davodyguy: 7:11am On Dec 06, 2019
Don't use your phone while driving means don't hold the phone with same hands you have on the wheels, but you can put the phone on the phone holder and follow the Google map navigation

(1) (2) (3) (Reply)

Mercedes-benz Unimog Voted Best Off Road Vehicle 2017 / This Is What Bad Fuel Will Do To Your Car: 7 Effects Of Bad Fuel In Your Car / Lawma Truck On Fire At Iyana Paja Round About..(photo) Live

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 61
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.