Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,156,232 members, 7,829,418 topics. Date: Thursday, 16 May 2024 at 06:32 AM

Nigeria's Early Reggae Influences - Where Are They Today? - Music/Radio - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Entertainment / Music/Radio / Nigeria's Early Reggae Influences - Where Are They Today? (3531 Views)

Harrysong- Reggae Blues Remix Ft. Mourinho / Bob Marley: Remembering The Legend Of Reggae (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

Nigeria's Early Reggae Influences - Where Are They Today? by Nobody: 8:37am On Apr 20, 2010
This may not appeal to a lot of Nigerians today, but I feel the very early Reggae influences in Nigeria, were great, very soul stirring. It's very different from today's Nigerian artists, who try their very best to mimic American rap artists. They're good, but they lack the depth, soul and acoustics of our early pioneers. Perhaps it also has a lot to do with the fact all the instruments used today are all computer-generated, and not the real thing!

Here are some of our early pioneers, feel free to add more as you see fit:

Bongos Ikwue - Still Searching.
Bongos Ikwue - Mariama.
Bongos Ikwue - What's Gonna Be's Gonna Be.
Bongos Ikwue - Woman Made The Devil.

Cloud 7 - Beautiful Woman.

Sonny Okosun - Mother And Child.
Sonny Okosun - Fire In Soweto.

Jide Obi - Kill Me With Love.
Jide Obi - Tales By Moonlight (Soundtrack).

Oby Onyioha - I Wanna Feel Your Love.
Oby Onyioha - Wait For Me.

Chris Mba - Baby Don't Cry.

Founders 15 - Be My own.

Christy Essien Igbokwe - Seun Re Re.
Christy Essien - Ever Liked My Person?

Tera Kota - City Called Sodom.

The Cloud 7 song was particularly poignant - a lot of guys that wronged their wives / girlfriends used to play "Beautiful Woman", seeking forgiveness!

Songs that passed a clear message, and inspired the soul. Some of us probably grew up with these messages forming the basis of how we interracted with others, and treated our neighbours / spouses.  smiley

1 Like

Re: Nigeria's Early Reggae Influences - Where Are They Today? by mrperfect(m): 9:10am On Apr 20, 2010
Joe nez - Business trip
Re: Nigeria's Early Reggae Influences - Where Are They Today? by Nobody: 9:13am On Apr 20, 2010
^^^ That's a new one to me, will Google it, or search on Youtube. smiley
Re: Nigeria's Early Reggae Influences - Where Are They Today? by semid4lyfe(m): 10:25am On Apr 20, 2010
On seeing the thread title, I thought I'll be seeing names like The Mandators, Ras Kimono, Orits Wiliki, Majek Fashek etc.

Christy Essien Igbokwe, Sonny Okosun, Chris Mba and the other peeps you have mentioned may have influenced Raggae but they didn't do/sing/play raggae music. . .their music was more of highlife IMO.
Re: Nigeria's Early Reggae Influences - Where Are They Today? by Nobody: 10:31am On Apr 20, 2010
semid4lyfe:

On seeing the thread title, I thought I'll be seeing names like The Mandators, Ras Kimono, Orits Wiliki, Majek Fashek etc.

Christy Essien Igbokwe, Sonny Okosun, Chris Mba and the other peeps you have mentioned may have influenced Raggae but they didn't do/sing/play raggae music. . .their music was more of highlife IMO.

The artists you've mentioned were Nigerian Reggae artists, but came into the industry relatively late.

Cloud7 was a Reggae influence, from the early '70's. The others I've listed were also Reggae artists, interspersed with African Highlife, which made it all the more appealing. You see, I'm pretty old skool. wink

Feel free to feed me more ideas - I will ammend the list accordingly. smiley

(1) (Reply)

The Weeknd – I Can’t Feel My Face / [ Instrumental ] Joeboy - All For You / How To Sign A New Record Label In Nigeria

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 13
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.