Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,140,449 members, 7,770,118 topics. Date: Tuesday, 19 March 2024 at 04:09 AM

Avoid These Habits. Your Back Will Thank You - Health - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Health / Avoid These Habits. Your Back Will Thank You (4936 Views)

Mix Bay Leaf With Cloves And You Will Thank Me! / Men With These Habits Should Be Mindful Of Prostatitis / Health Wellness Pack For All Types Of Diabetes...you will thank God at last (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

Avoid These Habits. Your Back Will Thank You by IbnIbrahim: 11:34pm On Feb 12, 2018
1. Sitting Hunched

Do it too much, and it can flatten the natural curve of your spine and damage the cushioned disks between the bones. This can lead to early arthritis and other problems. Gently stretch and move your head and neck in all 4 directions every half hour. To ease any pain or spasm, try applying an ice pack or heating pad to the area. Be sure to cover the skin with a light towel or cloth first. See your doctor if the pain won’t go away.

2. Eating Too Many “Treats”

Choosing the wrong foods too often can lead to inflammation and leave out nutrients you need to be strong. Your body needs lean protein, whole grains, fruits and veggies, and healthy fats like those from avocado and salmon to build strong muscles, bones, and soft tissue in your back. Be sure to get nutrients like calcium, phosphorus, and vitamin D, too.

3. Sleeping on the Wrong Mattress

It should be firm enough to support your back, but soft enough to fit the shape of your body. Your ideal mattress can depend on how you sleep and whether you already have back pain. Want to see if a firmer one might help? Put yours on the floor for a couple of nights without the bedsprings. Some stores let you return a mattress, even after several weeks, if it causes back pain or other problems.

4. Sleeping on Your Back or on Your Belly

For some people, this position can cause low back pain or make it worse. But it can be hard to change how you sleep since it’s a habit you’ve probably had for a long time. It may help to put a rolled towel or pillow under your knees to keep the natural curve of your back. You also can try different pillow heights for your neck to find what’s comfortable.
Sleeping on your belly can strain both your neck and lower back. If you’re a belly sleeper and don’t want to switch positions, it can help to lay your head on a very soft pillow or none at all to keep your neck in the right position

5. Sitting for too Long

It stresses your back muscles, neck, and spine. Slouching makes it worse. Sit straight in a chair that supports your back, and set the height so your feet rest naturally on the floor. But no matter how comfortable you get, your back won’t like sitting for long stretches. Get up and move around for a couple of minutes every half hour to give your body a break.

6. Skipping Exercise

You’re more likely to have back pain if you’re not active. Your spine needs support from strong stomach and back muscles. Lifting weights can help. So can everyday activities like climbing stairs and carrying groceries. Low-impact exercises like walking, biking, or swimming can help protect the disks between the bones in your spine. Make it a habit for most days. Don’t be a “weekend warrior” who overdoes it and gets injured

7.Smoking

Do it, and you’re 3 times more likely to get lower back pain. It can curb blood flow, including to your spine. That can make the cushioning disks between your bones break down quicker. It also can weaken bones and give you osteoporosis, and it can slow healing. Even coughs from smoking can cause back pain. If you smoke, make quitting your top health priority and ask your doctor for help.

8. Overeating

Extra pounds can strain the bones and muscles in your back, especially if you gain weight quickly. Eat slowly so that your body has a chance to let you know it’s full. Pick nutrition-packed munchies and meals so you feel satisfied with fewer calories. So if you snack on cheese or chips, try eating some veggies and plain yogurt instead.

9. Overloading Your Bag[/b

Heavyweights can strain your back and tire out muscles that you need to support your spine. This can affect kids who lug many books. Your child’s backpack shouldn’t weigh more than 20% of their body weight. Large, padded, adjustable shoulder straps help spread the weight evenly. But only if you use both straps. Slinging your pack or heavy purse over only one shoulder can cause strain.

[b]10. Wearing High Heels

You may overuse muscles in your lower back and harm your posture and your spine, especially as you age. If you wear them at the office, you might bring a pair of walking shoes for your commute. Regular foot and leg stretch, like rolling your foot on a tennis ball, can help prevent pain and strengthen muscles.

Lalasticlala

dominique

http://www.hotproforum.com/topic938.html
Re: Avoid These Habits. Your Back Will Thank You by uboma(m): 2:06pm On Feb 17, 2018
IbnIbrahim:

4. Sleeping on Your Back or on Your Belly

For some people, this position can cause low back pain or make it worse. But it can be hard to change how you sleep since it’s a habit you’ve probably had for a long time. It may help to put a rolled towel or pillow under your knees to keep the natural curve of your back. You also can try different pillow heights for your neck to find what’s comfortable.
Sleeping on your belly can strain both your neck and lower back. If you’re a belly sleeper and don’t want to switch positions, it can help to lay your head on a very soft pillow or none at all to keep your neck in the right position

http://www.hotproforum.com/topic938.html

I am guilty of this. Could this be the reason I do develop severe backaches from time to time?

It's now a habit for me to sleep on my belly and back. Can't change this now.
Re: Avoid These Habits. Your Back Will Thank You by bhlesingglory(m): 4:33pm On Feb 17, 2018
uboma:

I am guilty of this. Could this be the reason I do develop severe backaches from time to time?

It's now a habit for me to sleep on my belly and back. Can't change this now.

have you tried physiotherapy for your back pain?
Re: Avoid These Habits. Your Back Will Thank You by uboma(m): 4:41pm On Feb 17, 2018
bhlesingglory:

have you tried physiotherapy for your back pain?

Several sessions of massage calms and soothes my back muscles.
Re: Avoid These Habits. Your Back Will Thank You by bhlesingglory(m): 7:29am On Feb 19, 2018
uboma:

Several sessions of massage calms and soothes my back muscles.

Hmmm, what was the diagnosis? I mean back pain could have been a symptom/complication of something else.

1 Like

Re: Avoid These Habits. Your Back Will Thank You by IbnIbrahim: 10:06am On Feb 19, 2018
bhlesingglory:

Hmmm, what was the diagnosis? I mean back pain could have been a symptom/complication of something else.

That's very true.

(1) (Reply)

Atls Provider/ Instructor Course Now In Nigeria / Can A Virgin Get Pregnant By Precum Wearing A Pyjamas And A Pant? / COVID-19: Ijede General Hospital Not Shut Down — Olufunmilayo Bankole

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 19
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.