Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,162,763 members, 7,851,604 topics. Date: Thursday, 06 June 2024 at 12:19 AM

A False Friend - Health - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Health / A False Friend (324 Views)

Man Accused Of Using A False Cancer Claim To Defraud Nigerians - Video / COVID-19: How False Negatives Are Complicating Testing / Some Labs Are Giving False HIV Results In Lagos - Doctor Olufunmilayo (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply)

A False Friend by adokhai(m): 1:20am On Feb 13, 2018
This can be described as the relationship many people have with cigarette. According to Earline '' The cigarette could help me more than just an old friend, sometimes it was my only friend. '' As Earline came to realize that cigarette is, in fact, both a false friend and a vicious one.Frank decided to quit smoking, but few days after quitting, he found himself under his house looking for old cigarette butt that has fallen between the floor boards. ''That clinched it'' he said. '' Finding myself on my hands and knees scratching through dirt for old butts disgusted me. I never had another smoke.''

Why does tobacco have such grip?
According to researchers a number of reason can be attributed
(1) Tobacco products can be addictive as illicit drugs
(2) Inhaled nicotine can reach the brain in just seven seconds
(3) Smoking is often woven into person's life by its regular association with eating, drinking, conversing, the relief of
stress, and so on.

How do you stop smoking
If you want to stop smoking, you should have strong motivation to do so. the question is how can you strengthen your motivation this can be done by considering the following
(a) You will save money - A pack a day habit can cost thousands of dollars a year.
(b) You should get more joy out of life - When people stop smoking, their sense of taste and smell improve markedly, and they usually have more energy and an improved physical appearance.
(c) Your health improve- ''Quitting smoking has major and immediate health benefits for men and women of all ages'' According to The U S Centers for Disease Control and Prevention.
(d) You will boost your self confidence- When you stop smoking it will make you master of your self without being controlled.
(e) Your family and friend will benefit- Smoking hurts the health of those around you. studies have shown that secondhand smoke have caused thousands of death each year from lung cancer and heart disease According to America Cancer Society.

Seek out help
If you consider quitting smoking you may be wise to seek help from family and friends or anyone who will be genuinely supportive and patient.
You can also seeking from those who have quit the habit of smoking themselves. It is also advised that you change your association this will tremendously help.

Prepare for hurdles
The process of quitting has its hurdles, the more common ones are
The craving for nicotine- This is the sudden urge to smoke after quitting for few days or weeks, the strong determination to stop is all you need here as the urge is not usually more than five minute before it pass.
Other withdrawal symptoms-during this period you can do the following
1 Allow more time to sleep
2 Drink plenty of water or juice, eat wholesome food.
3 Engage in moderate exercise
4 Breathe deeply and picture clean air filling your lungs
Triggers- Activities or feelings that can urge you to smoke. For instance you normally had cigarette when drinking beverages or taking alcohol, If so, when quitting don't linger over beverages or alcohol.
Associates- be selective, try to avoid people who are smokers and also go away from the ones who undermine your effort to stop smoking
Emotions- It is certain, feelings triggers the urge to smoke, distract yourself, perhaps by drinking water, chewing gum, going for a walk.

https://steemit.com/health/@adokhai/a-false-friend

(1) (Reply)

Here Are 5 Natural Ways To Quit Cigarette Smoking / Coconut Water Helps Control High Blood Pressure – Nutritionist / Smokers Come In Here I Have A Surprise For You

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 20
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.