Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,153,838 members, 7,820,920 topics. Date: Wednesday, 08 May 2024 at 03:12 AM

My Message To Igbos Over The New Language Law In Lagos - Politics (13) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / My Message To Igbos Over The New Language Law In Lagos (34314 Views)

Ibrahim Babangida (IBB's) Message To Igbos / Regina: Canada Government sends message to Igbos living in the country / South-west Leaders Caution Igbos Over Peter Obi (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) ... (10) (11) (12) (13) (14) (15) (16) ... (18) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: My Message To Igbos Over The New Language Law In Lagos by Ngozi123(f): 12:10am On Feb 16, 2018
cKaiser:

Show me evidence of the 14.8bn Anambra generated

Below is what the took from the allocation in September 2017 alone

Abia N4.04 billlion, Adamawa N4.02 billion, Cross River N2.85 billion, Ekiti N2.94 billion, Edo N4.5 billion, Kaduna State N5.4 billion, Kano State N6.8 billion, Lagos state N8.8 billion, Rivers N12.45 billion, and Zamfara, N3.05 billion. Delta got N14.2 billion, Anambra N4.3 billion, Benue N4.2 billion, Borno N4.9 billion, Ebonyi N3.76 billion, Enugu State N4.07 billion, Gombe State N3.39 billion, Nassarawa State N3.74 billion, Imo N3.96 billion and Kogi N4.24 billion.

Read more at: https://www.vanguardngr.com/2017/10/36-states-share-n173-8bn-federation-account-september-graphic-report/

Nope. That's not just from the federal allocation. Check the pdf file that I directed the poster above to. You'll see how it's broken down.

1 Like

Re: My Message To Igbos Over The New Language Law In Lagos by cKaiser: 12:18am On Feb 16, 2018
Ngozi123:

Nope. That's not just from the federal allocation. Check the pdf file that I directed the poster above to. You'll see how it's broken down.

According to the same document you refer to,

Lagos State generated 300bn in 2016 and received 2.3b in the month you gave

So you can do the Maths and see that Lagos is a net giver to Nigeria and not a taker

8 Likes 1 Share

Re: My Message To Igbos Over The New Language Law In Lagos by Ngozi123(f): 12:20am On Feb 16, 2018
cKaiser:

According to the same document you refer to,

Lagos State generated 300bn in 2016 and received 2.3b in the month you gave

So you can do the Maths and see that Lagos is a net giver to Nigeria and not a taker

I'm glad that you pointed this out. Pray tell, how exactly did Lagos become such a big contributor to Nigeria?

2 Likes

Re: My Message To Igbos Over The New Language Law In Lagos by deomelllo: 12:29am On Feb 16, 2018
Ngozi123:

But in democracy, everyone gets to have a say, sparking a healthy debate that's designed to make the country better. If it was just a numbers game then, by default, the North should be ruling this country without any input from Southerners as they are (according to the census) more numerous. Do you agree with that notion?

In any democracy, entire population doesn't make, pass and approve laws, they elect public officials inf orm of legislatures to make and pass laws for the governor to pass into law.

In this case, the entire representatives of all the LGAs and regions in Lagos state crafted, deliberated, passed this law and the governor signed it into law. This is democracy, it worked as designed in Lagos state.

11 Likes 2 Shares

Re: My Message To Igbos Over The New Language Law In Lagos by LaudableXX: 12:32am On Feb 16, 2018
Ngozi123:
It's in odd format and I don't know how to post a link for that. Google "Nigeria federal revenue allocation" and "Internally generated revenue at state level" and then you'll find the two pdf files.

Madam, from press reports, Anambra got 8.7 billion naira from federal govt in the 1st Quarter of 2017.

FG, states, LGs, share N1.41trn in Q’1 2017 | ON MAY 22, 2017:

Abuja — The Federal Government, the 36 states and their local government areas have so far shared N1.4 trillion from the federation account, being revenue generated in the first quarter of 2017. The breakdown is contained in the monthly Federation Account Allocation Committee, FAAC, report obtained by the News Agency of Nigeria, yesterday, in Abuja. The key agencies that remit funds into the federation account are Nigerian National Petroleum Corporation, NNPC; Federal Inland Revenue Service, FIRS, and Nigeria Customs Service. The total revenue shared in January between the federal, states and local governments was N430.16 billion, meaning that federal took N168 billion, states, N114.28 billion and local governments, N85.4 billion.

The report showed that before distribution, state liabilities were deducted. The liabilities paid by the states in the first quarter, included an external debt of N8.73 billion, contractual obligations of N30.15 billion and other deductions amounting to N50.23 billion.....

What each State got;
Abia N8.42bn
Adamawa N7.8bn
A-Ibom N34.88bn
Anambra, N8.7bn
Bauchi, N7.9bn
Bayelsa, N22.97bn......

Read more at: https://www.vanguardngr.com/2017/05/fg-states-lgs-share-n1-41trn-q1-2017/

In 2016, for a whole year - Anambra State contributed only N14.793bn as IGR, according to an investigation by the Economic Confidential

Read more at: https://www.vanguardngr.com/2016/06/igr-36-states-generate-n682bn/

Now back to your post: From the pdf files you made reference to, one of them dealt with IGR of states from January to June 2016. I was only able to see the following information:

The National Bureau of Statistics released today the Internally Generated Revenue at State level for January to June 2016. In this report, Lagos State recorded the highest Internally Generated Revenue (IGR) figure of N150.59bn in Half Year 2016, closely followed by Ogun State with N28.15bn while Nasarawa State generated the lowest revenue for the period under reference at N1.05bn.

For this period, seven (7) states are yet to report their H1 2016 Internally Generated Revenue figures. The states are Abia, Anambra, Bauchi, Ebonyi, Oyo, Rivers and Sokoto. A total of N317.79bn was generated by twenty-nine (29) states that have reported their H1 2016 Internally Generated Revenue figure and the revenue was generated across the following types – PAYE, Direct Assessment, Road Taxes, Revenue from Ministries, Departments & Agencies and other taxes.

Wednesday, January 18, 2017
National Bureau of Statistics, Nigeria

http://www.nigerianstat.gov.ng/download/497

It went further on to say:

Year - Anambra State
2011 - 6,148,922,395.00
2012 - 7,601,585,012.15
2013 - 8,731,599,912.43
2014 - 10,454,312,316.18
2015 - 14,793,120,188.67
2016 - 14,793,120,188.67

Internally Generated Revenues for Anambra State increased from N6.14bn in 2011 to N14.79bn in 2015. NB: Anambra is yet to report H1 2016 IGR figure, The state's 2015 figure was adopted for 2016. This will be revised when actual full year values are received.

Now, this was stated on page 24 of the report.

5 Likes

Re: My Message To Igbos Over The New Language Law In Lagos by omonnakoda: 12:32am On Feb 16, 2018
Ngozi123:

I'm glad that you pointed this out. Pray tell, how exactly did Lagos become such a big contributor to Nigeria?

You will find your answer on this thread

Lagos has always, repeat ALWAYS been ahead
https://www.nairaland.com/4144976/lagos-1898before-nigeria-not-oil

9 Likes 1 Share

Re: My Message To Igbos Over The New Language Law In Lagos by toodark: 12:36am On Feb 16, 2018
zakim:

she is right....she said the truth....direct,,,,,but true......

now i remember why i married a igbo lady....
Re: My Message To Igbos Over The New Language Law In Lagos by Ngozi123(f): 12:48am On Feb 16, 2018
LaudableXX:

Madam, from press reports, Anambra got 8.7 billion naira from federal govt in the 1st Quarter of 2017.

I apologise, you're correct here. Still, the difference in what they give/recieve is not hugely disproportionate when you compare it to other states. They give little and they receive little. I will ask my original question again: how exactly is it profiting from immigration of Nigerians from other states on a large scale?

1 Like

Re: My Message To Igbos Over The New Language Law In Lagos by omonnakoda: 12:51am On Feb 16, 2018
Ngozi123:

I apologise, you're correct here. Still, the difference in what they give/recieve is not hugely disproportionate when you compare it to other states. They give little and they receive little. I will ask my original question again: how exactly is it profiting from immigration of Nigerians from other states on a large scale?
Vague?
What scale? Do you have any data

What evidence is there that immigration is beneficial? Assumption
What benefits did the desstitutes returned by Fashola bring?

Too many unfounded assumptions

By your logic Kano should be doing great.

Lagos benefits from a tiny number of people the rest are nuisances

8 Likes 1 Share

Re: My Message To Igbos Over The New Language Law In Lagos by Ngozi123(f): 12:55am On Feb 16, 2018
omonnakoda:

Vague?
What scale? Do you have any data

You do realise that I'm the one that's asking the question, right? The onus is on you and whoever else that wants to compare Anambra to Lagos to prove that Anambra has benefited hugely from large scale immigration.

1 Like 1 Share

Re: My Message To Igbos Over The New Language Law In Lagos by omonnakoda: 12:56am On Feb 16, 2018
Ngozi123:

You do realise that I'm the one that's asking the question, right? The onus is on you and whoever else that wants to compare Anambra to Lagos to prove that Anambra has benefited hugely from large scale immigration.

What large scale Imigration?

2 Likes 1 Share

Re: My Message To Igbos Over The New Language Law In Lagos by LaudableXX: 12:59am On Feb 16, 2018
Ngozi123:

There is a huge difference. In 2016, Anambra received a total sum of 60,100,345,047.16 billion naira from federal government. A whopping 60 billion! Compare this to the 14 billion naira the state is said to have generated as IGR in 2016.

Please see the entire table here: https://economicconfidential.com/faac/states-lgs-share-n2-6tr-2016/

5 Likes 1 Share

Re: My Message To Igbos Over The New Language Law In Lagos by Ngozi123(f): 1:03am On Feb 16, 2018
omonnakoda:

What large scale Imigration?

Exactly.

1 Like

Re: My Message To Igbos Over The New Language Law In Lagos by Ngozi123(f): 1:06am On Feb 16, 2018
LaudableXX:

There is a huge difference. In 2016, Anambra received a total sum of 60,100,345,047.16 billion naira from federal government. A whopping 60 billion! Compare this to the 14 billion naira the state is said to have generated as IGR in 2016.

Please see the entire table here: https://economicconfidential.com/faac/states-lgs-share-n2-6tr-2016/

46 billion Naira is not a lot for an entire state with a population of 4 million, although Obiano should be doing much more with it. Anambra State has still in no way profited from large scale immigration, as Lagos state has.

1 Like

Re: My Message To Igbos Over The New Language Law In Lagos by toodark: 1:08am On Feb 16, 2018
Ngozi123:

46 billion Naira is not a lot for an entire state with a population of 4 million, although Obiano should be doing much more with it. Anambra State has still in no way profited from large scale immigration, as Lagos state has.

ngozi,do you still hate me..?? cry cry cry cry
Re: My Message To Igbos Over The New Language Law In Lagos by LaudableXX: 1:11am On Feb 16, 2018
Ngozi123:

For you to make 'immigration' your basis of argument, you need to have accurate census figures, appropriate data on the number of visitors each state receives annually, and a clear picture of the proportion of residents in Lagos who are non-indigenes, as well as facts, figures and data showing what they have contributed to the state. Do you have that?

4 Likes 1 Share

Re: My Message To Igbos Over The New Language Law In Lagos by toodark: 1:13am On Feb 16, 2018
LaudableXX:

For you to make 'immigration' your basis of argument, you need to have accurate census figures, appropriate data on the number of visitors each state receives annually, and a clear picture of the proportion of residents in Lagos who are non-indigenes, as well as facts, figures and data showing what they have contributed to the state. Do you have that?

we dont even know how many nigerians live today....
with this ecowas stuff,to be nigerian doesnt even matter no more.

2 Likes 1 Share

Re: My Message To Igbos Over The New Language Law In Lagos by omonnakoda: 1:13am On Feb 16, 2018
Ngozi123:

Exactly.
You have cracked.

Finally.

1 Like 1 Share

Re: My Message To Igbos Over The New Language Law In Lagos by omonnakoda: 1:15am On Feb 16, 2018
Ngozi123:

Exactly.
What large scale immigration does Lagos state have?

What scale?

2 Likes 1 Share

Re: My Message To Igbos Over The New Language Law In Lagos by toodark: 1:17am On Feb 16, 2018
nigerians need to understand that been nigerian doesnt matter no more...nigeria is in charge of the ol west africa...!!!!

the sooner you nigerians get it,the better...

you are the promise for west africans...

thats why other african nations accuse you....

you are the black fortress...

the last still standing...

if you fail,then good night black race....bye bye.....!!

2 Likes 1 Share

Re: My Message To Igbos Over The New Language Law In Lagos by Ihatepork: 1:41am On Feb 16, 2018
hammer6F:

Bro, Lagos is to the south wat Abuja is to the North.

Port Harcourt is to the south wat Kano is to the North.

If Lagos is now a village like Anambra and Osun, just tell the people mistaking it as a capital city of the south to leave.

Politics dat dont generate wealth, will generate poverty and all this your twisted presentation generate poverty via killing valuable time.

Wow! So Anambra is now a village. Thought it was a world-class state like Tokyo where everyone is a millionaire cheesy

Lmaoo..Ipob idiots changing tone like menstrual pads grin grin cheesy

I will show you this post when next you claim Anambra is a world-class state

17 Likes 2 Shares

Re: My Message To Igbos Over The New Language Law In Lagos by toodark: 1:44am On Feb 16, 2018
Ihatepork:

Wow! So Anambra is now a village. Thought it was a world-class state like Tokyo where everyone is a millionaire cheesy

Lmaoo..Ipob idiots changing tone like menstrual pads grin grin cheesy

I will show you this post when next you claim Anambra is a world-class state

i cover my head in shame..its realy ridiculous what some of them write online..

1 Like 1 Share

Re: My Message To Igbos Over The New Language Law In Lagos by toodark: 1:50am On Feb 16, 2018
northerners told them to fvck off...........!!

YORUBAS TOLD THEM TO GET LOST.....!!!!

but here they are talking rubbish day and night.....

if they were ranting rubbish on ,i would understand....but this is realy ridiculous...

everybody told them to get lost....!!!!...

buhari my foot...i dont even care about buhari....

i dont know him....i never cared...but buhari get the job done.....thats all what i care about....

2 Likes 1 Share

Re: My Message To Igbos Over The New Language Law In Lagos by LaudableXX: 1:53am On Feb 16, 2018
toodark:
northerners told them to fvck off...........!!

YORUBAS TOLD THEM TO GET LOST.....!!!!

but here they are talking rubbish day and night.....

if they were ranting rubbish on ,i would understand....but this is realy ridiculous...

everybody told them to get lost....!!!!...

buhari my foot...i dont even care about buhari....

i dont know him....i never cared...but buhari get the job done.....thats all what i care about....

Hmmnn....tdarkside! God will deliver you! shocked

1 Like 1 Share

Re: My Message To Igbos Over The New Language Law In Lagos by toodark: 1:55am On Feb 16, 2018
LaudableXX:

Hmmnn....tdarkside! God will deliver you! shocked

are you trying to bless me..??... grin grin grin grin

1 Like 1 Share

Re: My Message To Igbos Over The New Language Law In Lagos by LaudableXX: 1:59am On Feb 16, 2018
toodark:
are you trying to bless me..??... grin grin grin grin

1 Like

Re: My Message To Igbos Over The New Language Law In Lagos by cKaiser: 2:22am On Feb 16, 2018
Ngozi123:

One the port which is given to Lagos by nature and generates a huge amount of income.

1 Like 1 Share

Re: My Message To Igbos Over The New Language Law In Lagos by LaudableXX: 2:27am On Feb 16, 2018
cKaiser:
One the port which is given to Lagos by nature and generates a huge amount of income.
Revenue from the seaports and airports go directly to the federal govt, and not the state.

6 Likes 1 Share

Re: My Message To Igbos Over The New Language Law In Lagos by toodark: 2:39am On Feb 16, 2018
LaudableXX:

Revenue from the seaports and airports go directly to the federal govt, and not the state.

true....

federal republic of nigeria...remember..??...

can i pm you..??..you sound stable minded...

1 Like 1 Share

Re: My Message To Igbos Over The New Language Law In Lagos by mcquin(m): 7:57am On Feb 16, 2018
USAbabe:

U think is all dat ? tomorow they will still come up with another law maybe this time it will be if cant speak yoruba no work for u.

i get it

i think is time for other tribe to follow this step there everybody will mind his or her business

Niger delta should take full ownership of there oil now . what is good for tom is good for dick
Who says Niger-delta is not using their Oil "to do yanga?" I reside in Benin since birth till date. My father is Efik, so I am very much SS. Niger-delta has been holding Naija hostage because of its oil, it does what it likes and FG can't complain cause it owns the oil. It has 13 percent derivation and are calling for more. In fact South especially SE has supported them, but the SE refused to support Lagos when Lagos wanted special status, and even opposed the admission of Lagos into Oill Producing States. They only appreciate one Nigeria and claim Lagos when convenient, but refuse to support Lagos when necessary.

9 Likes 2 Shares

Re: My Message To Igbos Over The New Language Law In Lagos by sharpsecret: 8:25am On Feb 16, 2018
we are not stopping u frm making yoruba a compulsory subject in ur states..u can do dat in ibadan,ogun,osun,kwara but dont bring it to lagos because lagos is a no mans land..just like abuja we all built lagos..so u people shud not claim wats not urs

(1) (2) (3) ... (10) (11) (12) (13) (14) (15) (16) ... (18) (Reply)

Robbers Shoot Okada Rider Dead In Lagos (Disturbing Photos) / Malami: I Didn’t Buy ₦300 Million Abuja House For My Son / Amaechi Welcomed At Calabar Carnival In A Warm Manner

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 52
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.