Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,194,810 members, 7,956,070 topics. Date: Sunday, 22 September 2024 at 11:58 PM

The Flying Eagles of Nigeria Thread: Poland 2019 FIFA U-20 World Cup - Sports (5) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Entertainment / Sports / The Flying Eagles of Nigeria Thread: Poland 2019 FIFA U-20 World Cup (29121 Views)

Nigeria Beat Venezuela 4 - 0 In FIFA U-20 Women's World Cup / Senegal Vs Nigeria: FIFA U-20 World Cup (2 - 1) Full Time / The Golden Eaglets Of Nigeria Thread: Brazil 2019 FIFA U-17 World Cup (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10) ... (12) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: The Flying Eagles of Nigeria Thread: Poland 2019 FIFA U-20 World Cup by Icon4s(m): 7:10pm On Apr 29, 2018
tbaba1234:

North Korea were the weeping boys of the group.. They were beaten 5-1 by Hungary and 3-0 by Brazil...

In the Hungary game, we were not very good for large spells.

Bulbwa and Savior were average offensively, they fell back to defend which appeared to be what Manu was looking for but we lacked penetration and we paid for it when we faced a quality side.

Penetration that we had and scored 2 goals but conceded 4?

In case you have forgotten, Manu pointed it out that Iheanacho and Yahaya did not do enough to support the midfield which was why they were dropped.

Manu is a coach I respect a lot for his attacking setup. And so he taking such measures is something we need to look at critically. Haha, ask any coach, you don't change a winning team.

My only complain tournament long was his preference for Awoniyi over Success.
Re: The Flying Eagles of Nigeria Thread: Poland 2019 FIFA U-20 World Cup by TheSuperNerd(m): 7:16pm On Apr 29, 2018
That was a Brazilian team having Gabriel Jesus and was easily the best team at that WC. They just fell unluckily to a stoic Serbia side in the final. Germany were not even close to half of Brazil's quality. Iheanacho and Yahaya coming in against Germany would have surely made a world of super difference positively.

We had the chunk of our best XI on the bench and Manu dey claim tactics. Rubbish tactics that got our asses kicked out so bloody early. Lol

And on Manu's words... Those reasons are flimsy. They are not true. Manu was hiding under that reason to shy away from the real reason he benched them. Even after we crashed out, his assistant was taunting Nacho saying Nigerians should stop blaming the crew for benching Nacho and co... That if Nacho was such a super star, he should be benching Aguero naa at City and starting games.... When this was a Nacho only beginning his professional life at City. Imagine the malice. The truth of what happened is still untold... But Manu and Ugbade had other funny reasons other than "not doing enough to support the midfield"

Icon4s:

In case you have forgotten, Manu pointed it out that Iheanacho and Yahaya did not do enough to support the midfield which was why they were dropped.

Manu is a coach I respect a lot for his attacking setup. And so he taking such measures is something we need to look at critically.

Re: The Flying Eagles of Nigeria Thread: Poland 2019 FIFA U-20 World Cup by tbaba1234: 7:21pm On Apr 29, 2018
Icon4s:

Manu is a coach I respect a lot for his attacking setup. And so he taking such measures is something we need to look at critically.

That does not explain why he left so much attacking talent on the bench when we were chasing a goal..

He was too conservative in my opinion... You can get away with playing average players against Hungary and North Korea but when we faced Germany, you needed your best players on the pitch.. We did not have that.
Re: The Flying Eagles of Nigeria Thread: Poland 2019 FIFA U-20 World Cup by Icon4s(m): 7:29pm On Apr 29, 2018
TheSuperNerd:
That was a Brazilian team having Gabriel Jesus and was easily the best team at that WC. They just fell unluckily to a stoic Serbia side in the final. Germany were not even close to half of Brazil's quality.

And on Manu's words... Those reasons are flimsy. They are not true. Manu his under that reason to shy away from the real reason he benched them. Even after we crashed out, his assistant was taunting Nacho saying Nigerians should stop blaming the crew for benching Nacho and co... That if Nacho was such a super star, he should be benching Aguero naa at City and starting games.... When this was a Nacho only beginning his professional life at City. Imagine the malice. The truth of what happened is still untold... But Manu and Ugbade had other funny reasons other than "not doing enough to support the midfield"

Bros, the problem with Iheanacho against Brazil was same thing Pep pointed out. That is Iheanacho's involvement in overall play.

He was more focused on scoring to justify his rating as a top goals scorer thereby leaving gaps behind him.

Remember both Success and Awoniyi both started that Brazil game. Manu set up a 4-4-2 formation. Meaning Yahaya and Iheanacho were midfielders in that game. Were-as what we saw was a 4-2-4 formation. Iheanacho and Yahaya were supposed to support the midfield but they didn't. Manu deployed Sokari and Saviour in the AM positions and the midfield stabilized. I understand your point about the strength of Brazil as an opposition. But in a situation where a set of players give you two straight wins without conceding after conceding 4 in the first game what do you expect?
Re: The Flying Eagles of Nigeria Thread: Poland 2019 FIFA U-20 World Cup by Icon4s(m): 7:36pm On Apr 29, 2018
tbaba1234:

That does not explain why he left so much attacking talent on the bench when we were chasing a goal..

He was too conservative in my opinion... You can get away with playing average players against Hungary and North Korea but when we faced Germany, you needed your best players on the pitch.. We did not have that.

So when the Attacking talents were introduced what difference did it make in the course of the game.

Manu thought his team was invincible.He thought he was favorite to win the WYC but Brazil brought then down to Earth. You are playing a 4-4-2 with Iheanacho not one of the two forwards. Iheanacho is naturally an attacking player and simply slipped into attacking positions leaving gaps in the midfield.

He then switched over to 4-5-1 even sending Success to the bench. He got two excellent results with it and you expect him to swing back to that formation against Brazil that made him concede 4 goals?
Re: The Flying Eagles of Nigeria Thread: Poland 2019 FIFA U-20 World Cup by TheSuperNerd(m): 7:39pm On Apr 29, 2018
Chief... The midfield did not stabilise... We just met weaker opponents in North Korea and Hungary to give us a false sense of stability. There was no stability. Sokari and Saviour were average talents using weaker opponents to shine. When they met a more decent German team what the f**k did they even offer? Absolutely nothing! That is the truth.

Had Nacho and Yahaya played against North Korea, you would have witnessed goals rain beyond 4-0. But I said I don't wanna do "what if's" but I make an exception to this one for thevsake of making a point. North Korea were that weak.

Ifeanyi Ifeanyi was doing little or nothing in that DMF role and that cost us dearly too. So how is that Nacho's and Yahaya's fault. Manu could have easily instructed the lads to stay compact when off the ball and then go all guns blazing when with the ball... But he didn't even give Nacho and Yahaya another chance... He just dumped them to the bench. Like I said Manu is yet to tell us the truth of what happened in New Zealand... because his reasons are the darndest things ever.

Icon4s:

Bros, the problem with Iheanacho against Brazil was same thing Pep pointed out. That is Iheanacho's involvement in overall play.

He was more focused on scoring to justify his rating as a top goals scorer thereby leaving gaps behind him.

Remember both Success and Awoniyi both started that Brazil game. Manu set up a 4-4-2 formation. Meaning Yahaya and Iheanacho were midfielders in that game. Were-as what we saw was a 4-2-4 formation. Iheanacho and Yahaya were supposed to support the midfield but they didn't. Manu deployed Sokari and Saviour in the AM positions and the midfield stabilized. I understand your point about the strength of Brazil as an opposition. But in a situation where a set of players give you two straight wins without conceding after conceding 4 in the first game what do you expect?

Re: The Flying Eagles of Nigeria Thread: Poland 2019 FIFA U-20 World Cup by tbaba1234: 7:44pm On Apr 29, 2018
Icon4s:

So when the Attacking talents were introduced what difference did it make in the course of the game.

Manu thought his team was invincible.He thought he was favorite to win the WYC but Brazil brought then down to Earth. You are playing a 4-4-2 with Iheanacho not one of the two forwards. Iheanacho is naturally an attacking player and simply slipped into attacking positions leaving gaps in the midfield.

He then switched over to 4-5-1 even sending Success to the bench. He got two excellent results with it and you expect him to swing back to that formation against Brazil that made him concede 4 goals?

Iheanacho was left on the bench.. Yahaya was left on the bench... Simon Moses was left on the bench, Ezeh was left on the bench..

His two subs was Isaac Success after the first half and Chidi Nwakali around 80th minute.

Can you imagine that?

You needed a goal and left all that attacking talent on the bench for 90 minutes..

That was terribly poor by the coach.
Re: The Flying Eagles of Nigeria Thread: Poland 2019 FIFA U-20 World Cup by Icon4s(m): 7:51pm On Apr 29, 2018
TheSuperNerd:
Chief... The midfield did not stabilise... We just met weaker opponents in North Korea and Hungary to give us a false sense of stability. There was no stability. Sokari and Saviour were average talents using weaker opponents to shine. When they met a more decent German team what the f**k did they even offer? Absolutely nothing! That is the truth.

Had Nacho and Yahaya played against North Korea, you would have witnessed goals rain beyond 4-0. But I said I don't wanna do "what if's" but I make an exception to this one for thevsake of making a point. North Korea were that weak.

Ifeanyi Ifenayi was doing little or nothing in that DMF role and that cost us dearly too. So how is that Nacho's and Yahaya's fault. Many could have easily instructed the lads to stay compact when off the ball and then go all guns blazing when with the ball... But he didn't even give Nacho and Yahaya another chance... He just dumped them to the bench. Like I said Manu is yet to tell us the truth of what happened in New Zealand... because his reasons are the darndest things ever.

Iheanacho And Yahaya were not really midfielders. They were more of forwards. They didn't do enough to support the midfield. Starting both of them is like playing a 4-2-4 or 4-3-3.

Manu felt he needed to play a 4-5-1 formation. Awoniyi was his preferred CF. So he needed to stuff the midfield up with players who were natural midfielders. If you bring in Yahaya and Iheanacho, due to their attack-mindedness you will be playing a 4-3-3. And more so if you play Success and Awoniyi together it means you are playing 4-2-4 just like in the Brazil game.

The Germans seemed to have set up a 4-5-1 formation. Playing a 4-3-3 or 4-2-4 would have been suicidal against German sides that are well known for playing a compact midfield set up.

I understand you and Tbaba's point of view but I am also giving you Manu's point of view.
Re: The Flying Eagles of Nigeria Thread: Poland 2019 FIFA U-20 World Cup by Icon4s(m): 7:58pm On Apr 29, 2018
tbaba1234:

Iheanacho was left on the bench.. Yahaya was left on the bench... Simon Moses was left on the bench, Ezeh was left on the bench..

His two subs was Isaac Success after the first half and Chidi Nwakali around 80th minute.

Can you imagine that?

You needed a goal and left all that attacking talent on the bench for 90 minutes..

That was terribly poor by the coach.

Manu started with a 4-5-1.

He later introduced Success thereby switching over to a 4-4-2. Chidi Nwakali's introduction was what I cannot really explain much. But a player like Chidera Ezeh would have offered nothing in that game.

The Germans were still having the upper hand in terms of ball possession which was why he was cautious about depleting the Formation to a 4-3-3 . He probably felt he needed to win more balls in the middle which was why he introduced Nwakali.
Re: The Flying Eagles of Nigeria Thread: Poland 2019 FIFA U-20 World Cup by TheSuperNerd(m): 7:58pm On Apr 29, 2018
Actually it was reported that we indeed went for a 4-2-4 against Brazil in the first game. We knew we were playing 4-2-4. It is Manu's central midfield choices that cost him more in that first game. He blamed the wrong players and he also didn't even attempt to fix anything. He just dumped them and brought in players that gave us a false sense of hope. Had it been Germany was our next game after Brazil, that team Manu switched to would have been trashed big time. Because they would not even have the time to settle in.

And against Germany playing a 4-3-3 with Nacho and Yahaya would have produced some goals for us. Germany were not spectacular. Mali even beat them. Manu's decisions weakened a team lacking in experience. He killed us by dumping our best on the bench.

Icon4s:

Iheanacho And Yahaya were not really midfielders. They were more of forwards. They didn't do enough to support the midfield. Starting both of them is like playing a 4-2-4 or 4-3-3.

Manu felt he needed to play a 4-5-1 formation. Awoniyi was his preferred CF. So he needed to stuff the midfield up with players who were natural midfielders. If you bring in Yahaya and Iheanacho, due to their attack mindedness you will be playing a 4-3-3. And more so if you play Success and Awoniyi together it means you are playing 4-2-4 just like in the Brazil game.

The Germans seemed to have set up a 4-5-1 formation. Playing a 4-3-3 or 4-2-4 would have been suicidal against German sides that are well known for playing a compact midfield set up.

I understand you and Tbaba's point of view but I am also giving you Manu's point of view.
Re: The Flying Eagles of Nigeria Thread: Poland 2019 FIFA U-20 World Cup by tbaba1234: 8:06pm On Apr 29, 2018
Icon4s:

Manu started with a 4-5-1.

He later introduced Success thereby switching over to a 4-4-2. Chidi Nwakali's introduction was what I cannot really explain much. But a player like Chidera Ezeh would have offered nothing in that game.

The Germans were still having the upper hand in terms of ball possession which was why he was cautious about depleting the Formation to a 4-3-3 . He probably felt he needed to win more balls in the middle which was why he introduced Nwakali.

He introduced Nwakali in the 80th minute.. Only 10 minutes to go.. Is that not the time to go for broke?

Yahaya, Iheanacho and Simon Moses could have produced moments of magic to draw us level.
Re: The Flying Eagles of Nigeria Thread: Poland 2019 FIFA U-20 World Cup by Icon4s(m): 8:06pm On Apr 29, 2018
TheSuperNerd:
Actually it was reported that we indeed went for a 4-2-4 against Brazil in the first game. We knew we were playing 4-2-4. It is Manu's central midfield choices that cost him more in that first game. He blamed the wrong players and he also didn't even attempt to fix anything. He just dumped them and brought in players that gave us a false sense of hope. Had it been Germany was our next game after Brazil, that team Manu switched to would have been trashed big time. Because they would not even have the time to settle in.

And against Germany playing a 4-3-3 with Nacho and Yahaya would have produced some goals for us. Germany were not spectacular. Mali even beat them. Manu's decisions weakened a team lacking in experience. He killed us by dumping our best on the bench.

I am glad you acknowledge the team played a 4-2-4 against Brazil.. What kind of a formation is that?

The truth is Manu intended to set up a 4-4-2 formation but Yahaya and Iheanacho rather than to play to also support the midfield they were majorly attack minded.
They didn't play according to Manu's plans and that was it.

2 Nigerian midfielders versus 4 Brazilian midfielders what were you expecting.
Re: The Flying Eagles of Nigeria Thread: Poland 2019 FIFA U-20 World Cup by Icon4s(m): 8:09pm On Apr 29, 2018
tbaba1234:

He introduced Nwakali in the 80th minute.. Only 10 minutes to go.. Is that not the time to go for broke?

Yahaya, Iheanacho and Simon Moses could have produced moments of magic to draw us level.

At that point in the game, the Germans were still the more dominant.

You do not deplete your midfield further when you are not topping in terms of possession. In fact your attackers will not see the balls again.
Nwakali was probably introduced to send the long balls to Awoniyi and Success.
Re: The Flying Eagles of Nigeria Thread: Poland 2019 FIFA U-20 World Cup by TheSuperNerd(m): 8:13pm On Apr 29, 2018
2 central midfielders with one of them being Ifeanyi Ifeanyi was always gonna cost us because he was so undisciplined on the day. Brazil didn't play with four natural midfielders... They played a 4-3-3 I think... With Gabriel Jesus coming from the wings into central areas. They also had a big no.9 that destroyed us scoring twice.
Manu is the one who got it wrong. Why not fix it with Nacho and Yahaya and apply it in the next game against weak North Korea? Abi North Korea for beat us too abi with Nacho and Yahaya in the team? That is bollocks! Manu failed us.

Icon4s:

I am glad you acknowledge the team played a 4-2-4 against Brazil.. What kind of a formation is that?

The truth is Manu intended to set up a 4-4-2 formation but Yahaya and Iheanacho rather than to play to also support the midfield they were majorly attack minded.
They didn't play according to Manu's plans and that was it.

2 Nigerian midfielders versus 4 Brazilian midfielders what were you expecting.
Re: The Flying Eagles of Nigeria Thread: Poland 2019 FIFA U-20 World Cup by tbaba1234: 8:19pm On Apr 29, 2018
Icon4s:

At that point in the game, the Germans were still the more dominant.

You do not deplete your midfield further when you are not topping in terms of possession. In fact your attackers will not see the balls again.
Nwakali was probably introduced to send the long balls to Awoniyi and Success.

You are going out of a tournament in 10 minutes and you do not go for broke?? If you wanted to improve your midfield, do it after half time.. In 10 minutes, what do you want Nwakali to do? Before he gets into the game, the match is over.

Whether 1:0 or 3:0, you are going home... With 10 minutes to go, forget midfield, get more men in the attack and launch the ball to them.
Re: The Flying Eagles of Nigeria Thread: Poland 2019 FIFA U-20 World Cup by Icon4s(m): 6:08am On Apr 30, 2018
TheSuperNerd:
2 central midfielders with one of them being Ifeanyi Ifeanyi was always gonna cost us because he was so undisciplined on the day. Brazil didn't play with four natural midfielders... They played a 4-3-3 I think... With Gabriel Jesus coming from the wings into central areas. They also had a big no.9 that destroyed us scoring twice.
Manu is the one who got it wrong. Why not fix it with Nacho and Yahaya and apply it in the next game against weak North Korea? Abi North Korea for beat us too abi with Nacho and Yahaya in the team? That is bollocks! Manu failed us.

This is youth football. You don't rule out any team ahead. You don't just assume ahead that N. Korea is weakest team in the group.

Iheanacho and Yahaya played themselves out of position, against the Coache's tactics. He put them on the bench in the next game and the midfield became solid and we went without conceding for 2 games and scoring 6 goals.

We were to face a highly fancied German side in a game neutral pundits put us as the underdog. My brother, the best thing for the coach was to remain compact in the middle. He fell back on the midfield with which he won his last two games.

Yes I will agree that Manu failed us because his team failed and he made the players' selections.
Re: The Flying Eagles of Nigeria Thread: Poland 2019 FIFA U-20 World Cup by Icon4s(m): 6:21am On Apr 30, 2018
tbaba1234:

You are going out of a tournament in 10 minutes and you do not go for broke?? If you wanted to improve your midfield, do it after half time.. In 10 minutes, what do you want Nwakali to do? Before he gets into the game, the match is over.

Whether 1:0 or 3:0, you are going home... With 10 minutes to go, forget midfield, get more men in the attack and launch the ball to them.

At 1:0 you are still in the game.

When you are chasing a game you still need to make substitutions based on the balance of play.

The Germans were still bossing things especially in the midfield and you want to deplete the midfield to 3 when the 5man midfield could not cope. Manu reduced the midfielders to 4 when he introduced Success and probably needed a midfielder that could provide the needed link with the strikers which was why Nwakali was brought in. Because Awoniyi was cut of supplies due to the supremacy of the German midfield.

Now, when you are chasing a game and you are totally in control dominating. It is easier for you to even throw in 4 strikers cos your opponents are just defending and not possing any goals threat. But a situation where your opponent are 1:0 up and yet are playing to get a second goal refusing to go defensive. But meanwhile it is still 1:0 and you still have a chance in the game. He probably thought the introduction of Success and Nwakali could help things at least an equalizer while still trying to maintain a balance in the middle.

Modified:

cc: TheSuperNerd.
Re: The Flying Eagles of Nigeria Thread: Poland 2019 FIFA U-20 World Cup by tbaba1234: 6:28am On Apr 30, 2018
Icon4s:

At 1:0 you are still in the game.

When you are chasing a game you still need to make substitutions based on the balance of play.

The Germans were still bossing things especially in the midfield and you want to deplete the midfield to 3 when the 5man midfield could not cope. Manu reduced the midfielders to 4 when he introduced Success and probably needed a midfielder that could provide the needed link with the strikers which was why Nwakali was brought in. Because Awoniyi was cut of supplies due to the supremacy of the German midfield.

Now, when you are chasing a game and you are totally in control dominating. It is easier for you to even throw in 4 strikers cos your opponents are just defending and not possing any goals threat. But a situation where your opponent are 1:0 up and yet are playing to get a second goal refusing to go defensive. But meanwhile it is still 1:0 and you still have a chance in the game. He probably thought the introduction of Success and Nwakali could help things at least an equalizer while still trying to maintain a balance in the middle.

If he introduced Nwakali in the 45th or even 60th minute, I would understand..

Nwakali was brought on in the 80th minute... 10 minutes to go... You have to go for broke... No need for cute passes in the middle , go direct..

You can not leave Iheanacho, Yahaya, and Simon Moses on the bench and you are struggling to score??

Why wait till 80 minute to change the midfield??

Simon Moses Iheanacho and Yahaya could have provided a moment of magic for you to score even against the run of play.

His selections and choice of substitutes were just too poor..
Re: The Flying Eagles of Nigeria Thread: Poland 2019 FIFA U-20 World Cup by Icon4s(m): 8:12am On Apr 30, 2018
tbaba1234:

If he introduced Nwakali in the 45th or even 60th minute, I would understand..

Nwakali was brought on in the 80th minute... 10 minutes to go... You have to go for broke... No need for cute passes in the middle , go direct..

You can not leave Iheanacho, Yahaya, and Simon Moses on the bench and you are struggling to score??

Why wait till 80 minute to change the midfield??

Simon Moses Iheanacho and Yahaya could have provided a moment of magic for you to score even against the run of play.

His selections and choice of substitutes were just too poor..

I am not Manu. Neither did I work with his crew.

The coach knows his players better than the fans.

The choice of Simon, Iheanacho, and Yahaya as the best players is just our opinion.

In as much as I criticised Manu and the team all through that tournament, against all odds here, I also saw things from his own eye view.
Re: The Flying Eagles of Nigeria Thread: Poland 2019 FIFA U-20 World Cup by TheSuperNerd(m): 10:04pm On Apr 30, 2018
Chief, you are only doing your best to make your stand look like Manu Garba's but I can assure you that it is not. At least not for the most parts. Manu and Ugbade had something against Nacho and Yahaya. Whatever it is, the two players involved wisely didn't want to talk about it. They moved on with their careers and decided to let the drama of that 2015 debacle die down. We all saw the players' reactions on the bench in that Germany game... Nacho, Yahaya, Ezeh, so much attacking quality on that bench and Garba chose to bring in C.Nwakali... Abeg... Chief.. you don try serving as Manu's attorney but truth is that substituation of Nwakali going into the game in the 80th min just sealed it. Manu's decision to keep Nacho and Yahaya benched was beyond tactical.. it was personal. That is the bloody truth.

And on North Korea... Chief.. hapu that talk... we both saw how weak N.Korea was even from their very first game against Hungary. They were bloody weak and could be torn apart by any decently average Nigerian U-20 side...they could not expose the frailties in our so called stabilised midfield... Our midfield did not stabilise.. we just met teams that could not exploit how bereft of ideas that midfield was...

Germany came in and exposed it and Germany was not even spectacular sef.

It is the height of Stupidity and Wickedness on the coach's part to bench his finest attacking players who could push for a goal when we badly needed it to stay in the competition. But it seemed Manu made his choice to crash out by sending Nwakali C. in on 80 mins when we needed goals and not a DMF/CM.. imagine! This is youth football afterall... and being adventurous is part of the game and one of the absolute beauties of youth soccer. When one moment of adventurous brilliance can produce magic out of nothing... We had that on the bench in Yahaya, Nacho and even Moses Simon and Ezeh... and Manu looked the other way proudly .... that is f**king shameful Chief... f**king shameful.

Icon4s:

This is youth football. You don't rule out any team ahead. You don't just assume ahead that N. Korea is weakest team in the group.

Iheanacho and Yahaya played themselves out of position, against the Coache's tactics. He put them on the bench in the next game and the midfield became solid and we went without conceding for 2 games and scoring 6 goals.

We were to face a highly fancied German side in a game neutral pundits put us as the underdog. My brother, the best thing for the coach was to remain compact in the middle. He fell back on the midfield with which he won his last two games.

Yes I will agree that Manu failed us because his team failed and he made the players' selections.

1 Like

Re: The Flying Eagles of Nigeria Thread: Poland 2019 FIFA U-20 World Cup by Icon4s(m): 10:19pm On Apr 30, 2018
TheSuperNerd:
Chief, you are only doing your best to make your stand look like Manu Garba's but I can assure you that it is not. At least not for the most parts. Manu and Ugbade had something against Nacho and Yahaya. Whatever it is, the two players involved wisely didn't want to talk about it. They moved on with their careers and decided to let the drama of that 2015 debacle die down. We all saw the players' reactions on the bench in that Germany game... Nacho, Yahaya, Ezeh, so much attacking quality on that bench and Garba chose to bring in C.Nwakali... Abeg... Chief.. you don try serving as Manu's attorney but truth is that substituation of Nwakali going into the game in the 80th min just sealed it. Manu's decision to keep Nacho and Yahaya benched was beyond tactical.. it was personal. That is the bloody truth.

And on North Korea... Chief.. hapu that talk... we both saw how weak N.Korea was even from their very first game against Hungary. They were bloody weak and could be torn apart by any decently average Nigerian U-20 side...they could not expose the frailties in our so called stabilised midfield... Our midfield did not stabilise.. we just met teams that could not exploit how bereft of ideas that midfield was...

Germany came in and exposed it and Germany was not even spectacular sef.

It is the height of Stupidity and Wickedness on the coach's part to bench his finest attacking players who could push for a goal when we badly needed it to stay in the competition. But it seemed Manu made his choice to crash out by sending Nwakali C. in on 80 mins when we needed goals and not a DMF/CM.. imagine! This is youth football afterall... and being adventurous is part of the game and one of the absolute beauties of youth soccer. When one moment of adventurous brilliance can produce magic out of nothing... We had that on the bench in Yahaya, Nacho and even Moses Simon and Ezeh... and Manu looked the other way proudly .... that is f**king shameful Chief... f**king shameful.

Firstly remove Chidera Ezeh from that your list. That boy was no where near a threat at that U20 tourney.

I believe I have explained the tactical aspect of that game from Manu's eye view to tbaba. No need to repeat things.
Re: The Flying Eagles of Nigeria Thread: Poland 2019 FIFA U-20 World Cup by TheSuperNerd(m): 10:35pm On Apr 30, 2018
Removing or Leaving Ezeh's name does not reduce the strength of my point. Garba had a super bench brimming with the very best creative and attacking talents and he messed it all up. Period.

And I have read all you wrote to Sir Tbaba. It is you being Manu's Attorney. You are just explaining things supposedly from Manu's eyes but I can also tell you that It is not all that so. Coz it is not the whole story of that 2015 debacle. Manu's reasons were not justifiable even tactically. All those are just cheap reasons to hide under to cover up the main issue. Manu and Ugbade had something personal against Nacho and Yahaya. It was so clear even in Ugbade's post-tournament comments. Lessons have been learnt but the truth must be told... Manu played a fast one on Nigerians by benching his very best. Period.

Icon4s:

Firstly remove Chidera Ezeh from that your list. That boy was no where near a threat at that U20 tourney.

I believe I have explained the tactical aspect of that game from Manu's eye view to tbaba. No need to repeat things.

1 Like

Re: The Flying Eagles of Nigeria Thread: Poland 2019 FIFA U-20 World Cup by Icon4s(m): 10:43pm On Apr 30, 2018
TheSuperNerd:
Removing or Leaving Ezeh's name does not reduce the strength of my point. Garba had a super bench brimming with the very best creative and attacking talents and he messed it all up. Period.

And I have read all you wrote to Sir Tbaba. It is you being Manu's Attorney. You are just explaining things supposedly from Manu's eyes but I can also tell you that It is not all that so. Coz it is not the whole story of that 2015 debacle. Manu's reasons were not justifiable even tactically. All those are just cheap reasons to hide under to cover up the main issue. Manu and Ugbade had something personal against Nacho and Yahaya. It was so clear even in Ugbade's post-tournament comments. Lessons have been learnt but the truth must be told... Manu played a fast one on Nigerians by benching his very best. Period.

When Awoniyi and Success were already on the pitch. you still want to flood the team with Iheanacho, Simon and Yahaya?) Players that do not do enough to support the midfield. What happens to the midfield?

I have already explained why Chidi Nwakali was brought in.
Re: The Flying Eagles of Nigeria Thread: Poland 2019 FIFA U-20 World Cup by TheSuperNerd(m): 11:04pm On Apr 30, 2018
Success didn't start that game and you know it. What is Saviour Godwin doing there? What was Awoniyi doing ahead of Success even? Forget about preference... Success was more lethal as at 2015 and was bound to bring an all-round dynamism to that no.9 role. Iheanacho and Yahaya behind Success in a 4-3-3 will wreck defences... that was our best but Manu thought otherwise and chose Saviour Godwin over Yahaya and Even brought in a Sokari... average talents with no sense of adventure in them. What did they do in all their so called support to midfield? what? How many chances did they even create against Germany? We had the weapons on the bench and Manu was doing rubbish from the sidelines because of beef with his players. What childish nonsense.

Your explanation for Chidi Nwakali coming in no hold strong ground for hia ooo because as at 80mins in a knock out round game, going for broke was the only option any true coach who wants to win will do. Manu even had one sub left to use but didn't wanna use it..... Imagine he only used two subs... and you want me to believe he did his best? and He had tactical reasons for every decision made... no way Chief... Manu was just being an ass in that tournament and it cost us dearly.

Why bring in a midfielder in the 80th when he could have been brought in earlier in that make or mar second half.. and why be so conservative on subs? This man had one sub left and didn't use it for the team's good... his ego and pride just got in the way and he failed..... so woefully.

Icon4s:

When Awoniyi and Success were already on the pitch. you still want to flood the team with Iheanacho, Simon and Yahaya?) Players that do not do enough to support the midfield. What happens to the midfield?

I have already explained why Chidi Nwakali was brought in.

1 Like

Re: The Flying Eagles of Nigeria Thread: Poland 2019 FIFA U-20 World Cup by TheSuperNerd(m): 11:14pm On Apr 30, 2018
Coach Of Bologna Wax Lyrical Over Ex Nigeria U17 Star Kingsley Michael

The form of former Nigeria U17 midfielder Kingsley Dogo Michael has earned him praises from the coach of the Primavera team of Italian Serie A side Bologna.
Speaking after watching the 18 year old bag an assist and a goal for the Primavera in their 3-3 draw against Udinese, coach Emanuele Troise said Michael has grown way quicker than they expected.

”We never doubted him when he came to train with us before he turned 18 but the speed at which he has settled down has surprised most of us. He is progressing nicely “, the coach said.

Already the Nigerian has made the bench of the first team in two Serie A games this season, and it is believed that he will get a chance to impress coaches of the first team during pre season training ahead of the start of next season.
A member of the all conquering Nigerian U17 team of 2016, he has so far played in 23 Primavera games with two goals and two assists to his name in his debut season at the club.

He is expected to be named in the list of foreign based players of the Nigerian U20 team for their upcoming African Youth Championship Qualifiers against Guinea Bissau next month.

**Daniel Martins

Source: http://owngoalnigeria.com/2018/04/30/coach-of-bologna-wax-lyrical-over-ex-nigeria-u17-star-kingsley-michael/

2 Likes

Re: The Flying Eagles of Nigeria Thread: Poland 2019 FIFA U-20 World Cup by Icon4s(m): 6:32am On May 01, 2018
TheSuperNerd:
Success didn't start that game and you know it. What is Saviour Godwin doing there? What was Awoniyi doing ahead of Success even? Forget about preference... Success was more lethal as at 2015 and was bound to bring an all-round dynamism to that no.9 role. Iheanacho and Yahaya behind Success in a 4-3-3 will wreck defences... that was our best but Manu thought otherwise and chose Saviour Godwin over Yahaya and Even brought in a Sokari... average talents with no sense of adventure in them. What did they do in all their so called support to midfield? what? How many chances did they even create against Germany? We had the weapons on the bench and Manu was doing rubbish from the sidelines because of beef with his players. What childish nonsense.

Your explanation for Chidi Nwakali coming in no hold strong ground for hia ooo because as at 80mins in a knock out round game, going for broke was the only option any true coach who wants to win will do. Manu even had one sub left to use but didn't wanna use it..... Imagine he only used two subs... and you want me to believe he did his best? and He had tactical reasons for every decision made... no way Chief... Manu was just being an ass in that tournament and it cost us dearly.

Why bring in a midfielder in the 80th when he could have been brought in earlier in that make or mar second half.. and why be so conservative on subs? This man had one sub left and didn't use it for the team's good... his ego and pride just got in the way and he failed..... so woefully.

Well, if you recall I was one of those that really criticised him for choosing to start Awoniyi ahead of Success tournament long. I recall that was about the first issue that caused a clash between me and one big fan Of Awoniyi here. Loz...

Against Brazil, Manu's overly attack minded set up cost us. Subsequently, it downed on him that we were not gonna cruise through just like at the last U17 and so he went conservative. He then preferred midfielders that could also support the defense. That is the tactical approach he chosed.

On Saviour Godwin over Yahaya, remember Godwin scored a brace in the first group game he started. Saviour and Sokari contributed more than attacking to the team. Yahaya and Iheanacho really exposed the defense in that first game but Godwin and Sokari provided more cover.

I perfectly understand the approach you have preferred but I have taken time to explain Manu's choices.

Selections like these happen and you will ask if the coach has gone nuts. For instance do you know Westerhof benched Okocha and Amuneke until the final of the 1994 AFCON? Amuneke started in the final and scored a brace. Okocha was obviously a bigger talent than Thompson Oliha but why did Westerhof always play Oliha ahead of Okocha even at the World cup? Tactics my brother. The coach has his tactics and also knows which players he needed to execute it.
Re: The Flying Eagles of Nigeria Thread: Poland 2019 FIFA U-20 World Cup by Icon4s(m): 6:44am On May 01, 2018
TheSuperNerd:
Coach Of Bologna Wax Lyrical Over Ex Nigeria U17 Star Kingsley Michael

The form of former Nigeria U17 midfielder Kingsley Dogo Michael has earned him praises from the coach of the Primavera team of Italian Serie A side Bologna.
Speaking after watching the 18 year old bag an assist and a goal for the Primavera in their 3-3 draw against Udinese, coach Emanuele Troise said Michael has grown way quicker than they expected.

”We never doubted him when he came to train with us before he turned 18 but the speed at which he has settled down has surprised most of us. He is progressing nicely “, the coach said.

Already the Nigerian has made the bench of the first team in two Serie A games this season, and it is believed that he will get a chance to impress coaches of the first team during pre season training ahead of the start of next season.
A member of the all conquering Nigerian U17 team of 2016, he has so far played in 23 Primavera games with two goals and two assists to his name in his debut season at the club.

He is expected to be named in the list of foreign based players of the Nigerian U20 team for their upcoming African Youth Championship Qualifiers against Guinea Bissau next month.

**Daniel Martins

Source: http://owngoalnigeria.com/2018/04/30/coach-of-bologna-wax-lyrical-over-ex-nigeria-u17-star-kingsley-michael/

Kingsley Michael is one of those players from Amuneke's U17 who's development has been progressive. Just still 18, he is a player to look out for in the next U20 class.
Re: The Flying Eagles of Nigeria Thread: Poland 2019 FIFA U-20 World Cup by enomakos(m): 11:36am On May 01, 2018
Icon4s:

The next year's tournament is for players born on or after January 1st 1999. Osimhen was born on December 29th 1998. So he is just 3 days older.

He will definitely join the U23 party. Other notable players that are eligible for the U23 include: Taiwo Awoniyi, Sadiq Umar, Samuel Kalu, Kelechi Nwakali, Chidozie Awaziem, Francis Uzoho, Maduka Okoye, Azubuike Okechukwu, Benerd Bulbwa, Ifeanyi Mathew, Musa Yahaya, Sunday Faleye etc. And of course they will be joined by players who excel from the 2019 U20. Also of course we expect to see some home lads and new players that will spring up in Europe in the next two years. The "Borough borns" will not also be left out.

If most of these players can be available I see us producing strong U20 and U23 teams.
i agreed with you
Re: The Flying Eagles of Nigeria Thread: Poland 2019 FIFA U-20 World Cup by TheSuperNerd(m): 7:18pm On May 01, 2018
It is okay Shaa Chief... I understand your angle but Manu's tactics really failed him and worst is that he didn't utilise the best he had. If he had utilised the very best we had on that day against Germany, I would absolve him of blame but I am afraid History will always point to his childish choices and overbloated ego which cost us dearly at New Zealand. Crashing out even a sub to spare... That man really did us in. He only still commands some level of respect because of the team he was able to assemble in 2013 plus the talents he unearthed from late 2011/Early 2012 till 2013 which have gone to make fine impacts in the national team and some more doing well for themselves and more bound to still rise.
In all, it is well. We hope for a better U-20 experience this time.

Icon4s:

Well, if you recall I was one of those that really criticised him for choosing to start Awoniyi ahead of Success tournament long. I recall that was about the first issue that caused a clash between me and one big fan Of Awoniyi here. Loz...

Against Brazil, Manu's overly attack minded set up cost us. Subsequently, it downed on him that we were not gonna cruise through just like at the last U17 and so he went conservative. He then preferred midfielders that could also support the defense. That is the tactical approach he chosed.

On Saviour Godwin over Yahaya, remember Godwin scored a brace in the first group game he started. Saviour and Sokari contributed more than attacking to the team. Yahaya and Iheanacho really exposed the defense in that first game but Godwin and Stilli provided more cover.

I perfectly understand the approach you have preferred but I have taken time to explain Manu's choices.

Selections like these happen and you will ask if the coach has gone nuts. For instance do you know Westerhof benched Okocha and Amuneke until the final of the 1994 AFCON? Amuneke started in the final and scored a brace. Okocha was obviously a bigger talent than Thompson Oliha but why did Westerhof always play Oliha ahead of Okocha even at the World cup? Tactics my brother. The coach has his tactics and also knows which players he needed to execute it.
Re: The Flying Eagles of Nigeria Thread: Poland 2019 FIFA U-20 World Cup by TheSuperNerd(m): 7:21pm On May 01, 2018
Injured Peter Eneji returns for Flying Eagles friendly against Katsina United

Peter Eneji has returned to Flying Eagles after recent injury
CHAN Eagles winger Peter Eneji has been included in the Flying Eagles squad for tomorrow’s friendly against Katsina United after he recovered from injury he received during a crowd incident at Heartland recently.

Eneji suffered a head injury after angry fans attacked his club Plateau United after a 1-1 draw at Heartland.
Tomorrow’s game at the Muhammadu Dikko Stadium in Katsina will be played under floodlights.

The Nigeria U20s are preparing for an U20 AFCON qualifier in Guinea Bissau billed for between May 11 and 13.

Flying Eagles squad vs Katsina United:

Goalkeepers: Detan Ogundare, Akpan David Udoh

Defenders : Chidibum Pascal, Valentine Uzounwafor, Ekene Oliseme, Ikouwem Udoh, Solomon O.

Midfielders : Sadeq Abubakar, Jamil Mohammed, Alhassan Ibrahim, Maxwell Effiom, Aminu Nuhu

Forwards : Jerome Akor, Jesse Akila, Wasiu Alalade, Babawo Ibrahim, Peter Eneji, Asuquo Aniekeme, Adeshina Gata

Source: http://scorenigeria.com.ng/2018/05/01/injured-peter-eneji-returns-for-flying-eagles-friendly-against-katsina-united/
Re: The Flying Eagles of Nigeria Thread: Poland 2019 FIFA U-20 World Cup by TheSuperNerd(m): 2:39am On May 03, 2018
Flying Eagles may host U20 AFCON qualifier against Guinea Bissau in Port Harcourt

Officials have told SCORENigeria that there is a strong possibility that the country’s U20 team, the Flying Eagles, will host Guinea Bissau in an U20 AFCON qualifier in Port Harcourt.
SCORENigeria was first to break the story that Port Harcourt will stage the Super Eagles farewell match to the World Cup match on May 28.

And now the Nigeria Football Federation (NFF) have asked for the Rivers State Government to help stage an U20 AFCON qualifier return leg in Port Harcourt on May 20, a week before the Eagles World Cup warm-up game.

Guinea Bissau U20s, who upset Sierra Leone to qualify for this round of the qualifying tournament, will host the Flying Eagles between May 11 and 13 with the return leg in Nigeria a week later.

Source: http://scorenigeria.com.ng/2018/05/02/flying-eagles-may-host-u20-afcon-qualifier-against-guinea-bissau-in-port-harcourt/
Re: The Flying Eagles of Nigeria Thread: Poland 2019 FIFA U-20 World Cup by TheSuperNerd(m): 3:01am On May 03, 2018
Wasteful Flying Eagles Held By Katsina United In High Profile Friendly Game

The winning run of the Nigeria U20 team recently assembled by coach Paul Aigbogun was brought to an end by Nigeria Professional Football League side Katsina United in a friendly game which ended 0-0.

Flying Eagles as the U20 team of Nigeria are known and called have won their last four friendly games convincingly but struggled to break down a resolute Katsina United team.

Coach Aigbogun unleashed what looked like his preferred starting line up for now with the highly rated Peter Eneji starting up front alongside another star of the team in Alhassan Ibrahim of Kano Pillars.

Eneji thrice came close to giving Flying Eagles the lead with one of his efforts coming off the bar minutes before the half time break as Flying Eagles dominated their host.

Top striker of the Nigerian team Jerome Akor who has been scoring for fun came alive in the second half same as winger Ibrahim Babawo however it was Akor who almost stole a win for the Flying Eagles but his effort was cleared off the line few minutes before full time.

**Usman Shehu

Source: http://owngoalnigeria.com/2018/05/02/wasteful-flying-eagles-held-by-katsina-united-in-high-profile-friendly-game/

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10) ... (12) (Reply)

Didier Drogba Retires From Playing Football / Anthony Joshua And The Nigerian Myth / Enyeama Concedes Six Goals In France

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 150
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.