Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,152,139 members, 7,814,993 topics. Date: Thursday, 02 May 2024 at 04:03 AM

Vanguard Editor, Adekunle Aliyu, Released By The Police! - Politics - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / Vanguard Editor, Adekunle Aliyu, Released By The Police! (19393 Views)

Pictures Of Properties Owned By Fayose Released By EFCC / Aliyu Adekunle, Arrested Vanguard Editor In Black Maria, Ipad Broken (Video) / Aliyu Adekunle, Vanguard Editor Arrested By Police In Lagos (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (Reply) (Go Down)

Vanguard Editor, Adekunle Aliyu, Released By The Police! by sinkhole: 6:47pm On Feb 16, 2018
Breaking: Released Vanguard Editor explains why he was arrested

By Nwafor Sunday
In his bid to exercise his constitutional right enshrined in section 39 of the 1999 constitution as amended, the Vanguard Online Editor, Mr Adekunle Aliyu, on Friday was assaulted, maltreated and arrested by the Nigerian Police Command in Ikotun, Lagos.

Mr. Aliyu who speedily contacted Vanguard at the peak of his arrest opined that the officers refused to disclose his crime to him.

“I was arrested for doing my job as a journalist. They caught me taking snap shots and video clips of both the officers and Okada riders respectively. ‘When they accosted me and ordered me to enter their van, I insisted and asked them to tell me the crime I committed. They remained mum and pushed me inside their ‘Black Marria’ Van”, he said.

Expressing the embarrassment he received from the officers, Mr. Aliyu told newsmen that he was not beaten up by anybody but would rather chose to be beaten than to be humiliated the way the officers did to him.

When asked if there were items damaged, he answered ‘yes’. “They broke my Ipad, got my shirt dirt and pushed me into their van”, he angrily said.

Why Police arrested me

At exactly 3:15pm, Mr. Aliyu called again to break the news of his release. According to him, “I have been released, with conditions”.

When asked the conditions he said, “They warned me not to cover or take their photos whenever they are doing their job. They equally told me that I should first seek for their consent before taking their images for any report.

“I thank God I came back untouched”, he finally said.

Read more at: https://www.vanguardngr.com/2018/02/breaking-released-vanguard-editor-explains-arrested/

Thanks and Happy Birthday to Lalasticlala

1 Like 1 Share

Re: Vanguard Editor, Adekunle Aliyu, Released By The Police! by Nobody: 6:57pm On Feb 16, 2018
Thank God for him

If what they're doing is legal I don't think they will need someone to seek their consent before taking their pictures.

Shithole police

Modified

FTC!!!! God is in control of this week

28 Likes 1 Share

Re: Vanguard Editor, Adekunle Aliyu, Released By The Police! by zyzxx(m): 6:59pm On Feb 16, 2018
At last, after broken ipad

Mean while get your products registered with us at LIY consult, we deliver without any delay

Re: Vanguard Editor, Adekunle Aliyu, Released By The Police! by Etihadstore: 6:59pm On Feb 16, 2018
The attached picture was taken in a sane clan...
Where fundamental human right is valued

17 Likes

Re: Vanguard Editor, Adekunle Aliyu, Released By The Police! by handsomeyinka(m): 7:00pm On Feb 16, 2018
Thank God is not SARS that arrested you.If it was sars,you might get a beaten of your life which will prompt you to change your profession from a Journalist to a Vendor.

10 Likes

Re: Vanguard Editor, Adekunle Aliyu, Released By The Police! by gabazin080(m): 7:00pm On Feb 16, 2018
ruggedised:
we all must enjoy the change. one thing I like about politics is whoever wins whether good or bad leader affect all part of the country

bubu till 20100
now they have realised their mistake but we will revenge in 2019 by voting in buhari again.

15 Likes

Re: Vanguard Editor, Adekunle Aliyu, Released By The Police! by Nobody: 7:01pm On Feb 16, 2018
we all must enjoy the change. one thing I like about politics is whoever wins whether good or bad leader affect all part of the country

bubu till 20100

3 Likes

Re: Vanguard Editor, Adekunle Aliyu, Released By The Police! by Nobody: 7:02pm On Feb 16, 2018
sinkhole:
Breaking: Released Vanguard Editor explains why he was arrested

By Nwafor Sunday
In his bid to exercise his constitutional right enshrined in section 39 of the 1999 constitution as amended, the Vanguard Online Editor, Mr Adekunle Aliyu, on Friday was assaulted, maltreated and arrested by the Nigerian Police Command in Ikotun, Lagos.

Mr. Aliyu who speedily contacted Vanguard at the peak of his arrest opined that the officers refused to disclose his crime to him.

“I was arrested for doing my job as a journalist. They caught me taking snap shots and video clips of both the officers and Okada riders respectively. ‘When they accosted me and ordered me to enter their van, I insisted and asked them to tell me the crime I committed. They remained mum and pushed me inside their ‘Black Marria’ Van”, he said.

Expressing the embarrassment he received from the officers, Mr. Aliyu told newsmen that he was not beaten up by anybody but would rather chose to be beaten than to be humiliated the way the officers did to him.

When asked if there were items damaged, he answered ‘yes’. “They broke my Ipad, got my shirt dirt and pushed me into their van”, he angrily said.

Why Police arrested me

At exactly 3:15pm, Mr. Aliyu called again to break the news of his release. According to him, “I have been released, with conditions”.

When asked the conditions he said, “They warned me not to cover or take their photos whenever they are doing their job. They equally told me that I should first seek for their consent before taking their images for any report.

“I thank God I came back untouched”, he finally said.

Read more at: https://www.vanguardngr.com/2018/02/breaking-released-vanguard-editor-explains-arrested/

Thanks and Happy Birthday to Lalasticlala

They broke your iPad, torn your shirt... Do you have any picture of both?

By the way, I think courtesy comes with professionalism. It's appropriate to seek for permission before taking some pictures of law enforcement agencies while discharging their duties.

Thank God for you to have come back in piece from the Lions den

4 Likes

Re: Vanguard Editor, Adekunle Aliyu, Released By The Police! by gabazin080(m): 7:02pm On Feb 16, 2018
sabama007:

They broke your iPad, torn your shirt... Do you have any picture of both?
a beg who are u asking?

is he on this thread

2 Likes

Re: Vanguard Editor, Adekunle Aliyu, Released By The Police! by livebynite: 7:03pm On Feb 16, 2018
Everyday I wake I tell myself surely Nigeria can not surprise me any further with how.much of a shïthole country it is. But by the end of each day I am.proved wrong

6 Likes 1 Share

Re: Vanguard Editor, Adekunle Aliyu, Released By The Police! by 12submarine(m): 7:06pm On Feb 16, 2018
Actually, it is not done anywhere. It is very wrong to start flashing the camera at anyone, not just the police, without consent except when a crime is committed and the public needs to be aware. Personally, if someone start snapping me without my consent and by any chance I get to know, I will demand explanation and I must be convinced, else, the police must be involved.

1 Like 1 Share

Re: Vanguard Editor, Adekunle Aliyu, Released By The Police! by Nobody: 7:06pm On Feb 16, 2018
gabazin080:
a beg who are u asking?

is he on this thread

He doesn't have to be on this thread...
Re: Vanguard Editor, Adekunle Aliyu, Released By The Police! by 12submarine(m): 7:06pm On Feb 16, 2018
ruggedised:

bubu till 20100
This is not about any change mantra, it has been happening in this country, though very wrong on the part of the police. Is not everything you start talking about "change" in the negative perspective, else it becomes impotent where it really needs to be chanted.

2 Likes

Re: Vanguard Editor, Adekunle Aliyu, Released By The Police! by liab: 7:09pm On Feb 16, 2018
It's illegal to take another man's picture without his/her consent, they can equally sue u for dis.

2 Likes

Re: Vanguard Editor, Adekunle Aliyu, Released By The Police! by pennywys(m): 7:12pm On Feb 16, 2018
Sue them to replace ur IPad they have broken
Re: Vanguard Editor, Adekunle Aliyu, Released By The Police! by Daviddson(m): 7:14pm On Feb 16, 2018
Not bad.
"They equally told me that I should first seek for their consent before taking their images for any report."
I agree with them on this. You can't just be taking people's pictures anyhow just because you're a journalist. You should have introduced yourself to them - you never did. What if you are bokoharam spy trying to map out an area for target?

3 Likes

Re: Vanguard Editor, Adekunle Aliyu, Released By The Police! by WrathOfHadez(m): 7:17pm On Feb 16, 2018
liab:
It's illegal to take another man's picture without his/her consent, they can equally sue u for dis.
don't think that covers public office holders like police. Abroad, police vehicles are covered with cam and is streamed into a data base and police in US wear body cam too.

And citizens record police interrogation live and live stream too while they are being questioned by the police.

Nigeria police is the byword for illegality and lies so they never want to be caught on camera except after they have shot innocent people and planted guns on them.

8 Likes

Re: Vanguard Editor, Adekunle Aliyu, Released By The Police! by Nobody: 7:18pm On Feb 16, 2018
12submarine:

This is not about any change mantra, it has been happening in this country, though very wrong on the part of the police. Is not everything you start talking about "change" in the negative perspective, else it becomes impotent where it really needs to be chanted.

but during GEJ government you guys believed anything that happened then was caused by his government

3 Likes

Re: Vanguard Editor, Adekunle Aliyu, Released By The Police! by stuffs4me(m): 7:21pm On Feb 16, 2018
Good for him that he has been released.

Next time don't interfere with police officers discharging their lawful cities. They had to arrest him to be sure he is not a dangerous armed robber or even a Boko Haram member.

1 Like

Re: Vanguard Editor, Adekunle Aliyu, Released By The Police! by freeman67: 7:24pm On Feb 16, 2018
I always hear people talk about right without considering its limitations. If your fundamental human right is to take people's pictures why would you not consider that there should be some kind of consent or agreement before taking it? Does it mean that those being photographed are less humans or are lesser humans and as such do not have right to refuse to be photographed?
Re: Vanguard Editor, Adekunle Aliyu, Released By The Police! by omonnakoda: 7:24pm On Feb 16, 2018
The technology to take photos surreptitiously exists all over the place.
Nigeria police are very crude and journalists have to respond to the environment they find themselves.
It is stupid to take photographs so obviously of anyone doing what they know to be criminal.
Re: Vanguard Editor, Adekunle Aliyu, Released By The Police! by Nobody: 7:26pm On Feb 16, 2018
It's a public space, they have no right to stop anyone from using his or her phone for anything...this is just too much
Re: Vanguard Editor, Adekunle Aliyu, Released By The Police! by 12submarine(m): 7:26pm On Feb 16, 2018
ruggedised:

but during GEJ government you guys believed anything that happened then was caused by his government
I don't support Jonathan. I also don't support this failure occupying aso rock. During Jonathan administration, I condemn whatever goes wrong. Same with this fulani man. But in either case, I don't say anything not necessary. Note, if it is within my powers, Buhari wil cease to be president before tommorow morning.

1 Like

Re: Vanguard Editor, Adekunle Aliyu, Released By The Police! by princepeter566: 7:36pm On Feb 16, 2018
That moment when you want to throw a stone at your friend..you missed it and it hit an old woman, and then the woman picks up the stone and put it inside her bag.. ...just have it in mind that ur life is on d verge of turning out to be like a student who wrote exam in UNILAG and saw his result in DELSU

1 Like

Re: Vanguard Editor, Adekunle Aliyu, Released By The Police! by princepeter566: 7:36pm On Feb 16, 2018
That moment when you want to throw a stone at your friend..you missed it and it hit an old woman, and then the woman picks up the stone and put it inside her bag.. ...just have it in mind that ur life is on d verge of turning out to be like a student who wrote exam in UNILAG and saw his result in DELSU

2 Likes

Re: Vanguard Editor, Adekunle Aliyu, Released By The Police! by Nobody: 7:36pm On Feb 16, 2018
Etihadstore:
The attached picture was taken in a sane clan...
Where fundamental human right is valued

You forgot to say this inhabitant of a sane clime lost her job as a result.

1 Like

Re: Vanguard Editor, Adekunle Aliyu, Released By The Police! by davodyguy: 7:38pm On Feb 16, 2018
Vanguard.
PDP newspapers

(1) (2) (Reply)

It Is Only Buhari That Can Tell Nigerians What He's Suffering From - Adesina / PDP Thugs Wearing Our Vests To Attack Innocent Citizens, Kwara APC Cries Out / Why Tinubu’s Dynasty May Not Crash Anytime Soon - By Abdullah Abdulganiy

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 32
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.