Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,152,977 members, 7,817,876 topics. Date: Saturday, 04 May 2024 at 09:53 PM

My Baby Won't Eat.....Please Suggestions (Worried Dad) - Family (3) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Family / My Baby Won't Eat.....Please Suggestions (Worried Dad) (23790 Views)

My Baby Is Just 4 Months And My Wife Is Pregnant Again, I Want Abortion / I'm Worried About My Son's Behaviour. Is He Normal? / My Baby's Transformation... (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: My Baby Won't Eat.....Please Suggestions (Worried Dad) by josite: 7:57pm On Feb 18, 2018
Don't force him.go get gnld protein formula powder .mixed same with yoghurt and give him twice a day.in less than a month your son will be bigger than kids eating cow head five times a day.
Re: My Baby Won't Eat.....Please Suggestions (Worried Dad) by tiredoflife(m): 7:59pm On Feb 18, 2018
wakaman:
Wean him off breast milk gradually,
A good starter to solids is good old amala and ewedu( green) it never fails.

If you don't have tribal issues please give try amala and ewedu.

Used it for both my sons.

Pikin dey hungry u dey talk of tribe
U dey fear d spirit of afonja fit enter am through Yoruba food grin

1 Like

Re: My Baby Won't Eat.....Please Suggestions (Worried Dad) by badex11: 8:02pm On Feb 18, 2018
l
Re: My Baby Won't Eat.....Please Suggestions (Worried Dad) by WONDERS001(m): 8:02pm On Feb 18, 2018
Bro,you haven't found what he likes yet. You can't force a child to eat what he does not like.
From experience, we had such issue reported to us and we advised the mum to try different food until you find what the child liked.
She tried different food until we found out that the child liked EBA more.
With time the child started eating other food.
Now d piikin dey eat fire.
So,keep. trying different food till you discover what he wants.

1 Like

Re: My Baby Won't Eat.....Please Suggestions (Worried Dad) by suco01(m): 8:04pm On Feb 18, 2018
I guess u didn't go for post natal clinic (child welfare clinic) cos if you do they teach different types of foods and pudding that are nutritious to babies in food demonstration clinic.

2 Likes 1 Share

Re: My Baby Won't Eat.....Please Suggestions (Worried Dad) by Nobody: 8:06pm On Feb 18, 2018
kollinpowel:
do you had baby milk to the pap cos my daughter take only pap if you add milk you are on ur own or try to get some baby milk that close to breast milk and add it to the pap.she should take it once she perceive the breast milk in it.
Yes, we do add milk to it, enough sef, mini me still no send
Re: My Baby Won't Eat.....Please Suggestions (Worried Dad) by shedy03(m): 8:06pm On Feb 18, 2018
Nutase:
You guys started late. Your first attempt at introducing him to cereals and pap should have been at 6 months.

You have to keep trying until he breaks otherwise your wife won't be able to cope.
I think you are right, started late.
Re: My Baby Won't Eat.....Please Suggestions (Worried Dad) by ndindiatu: 8:07pm On Feb 18, 2018
Cornido:

The thing is this.... If you give him a taste of whatever we are eating, he accepts it readily and even comes for more, be it beans, semi, soup, bread, rice etc but he doesn't take enough of it for it to be a meal for him
All my kids where like that oh. First one was bitter experience. She will not eat. After I found out is local food she like oh. Mashed yam and red oil, okpa and from one year na abacha she dey chop oh . Even till today na so. Give that baby any thing he likes no matters how small
Re: My Baby Won't Eat.....Please Suggestions (Worried Dad) by femi4: 8:10pm On Feb 18, 2018
Cornido:
Pls experienced parents in the house especially Mums, my baby is 9 months old. We just introduced him to cereals but the trouble is he refuses to eat it. We have tried Pap, that one is even worse.
I have to pin his hands and legs, while the Mum tries to force his mouth open just to get a spoonful into his mouth, that is if she can get past the teeth that he won't open. And after all these, he will not swallow, he will just spit everything out and we are back to square one. And the way he cries.........damn
We tried closing his nostrils and mouth to force him to swallow, hmmm, I will never try it again. Continuing only on breast milk is no longer an option cos it doesn't fill him anymore. Pls suggestions
Try pap and milk, thank me later
Re: My Baby Won't Eat.....Please Suggestions (Worried Dad) by julioralph(m): 8:10pm On Feb 18, 2018
Cornido:
Pls experienced parents in the house especially Mums, my baby is 9 months old. We just introduced him to cereals but the trouble is he refuses to eat it. We have tried Pap, that one is even worse.
I have to pin his hands and legs, while the Mum tries to force his mouth open just to get a spoonful into his mouth, that is if she can get past the teeth that he won't open. And after all these, he will not swallow, he will just spit everything out and we are back to square one. And the way he cries.........damn
We tried closing his nostrils and mouth to force him to swallow, hmmm, I will never try it again. Continuing only on breast milk is no longer an option cos it doesn't fill him anymore. Pls suggestions
Force-feeding of babies is so old school. In fact, it can land you in trouble if you do it in a developed Nation.
Re: My Baby Won't Eat.....Please Suggestions (Worried Dad) by wakaman: 8:11pm On Feb 18, 2018
tiredoflife:

Pikin dey hungry u dey talk of tribe
U dey fear d spirit of afonja fit enter am through Yoruba food grin

Very funny.
Humans are naturally culturally wired, thus the tribal mention due to tribal culinary preferences.

Straight.

Also I was weaned off that, amala and ewedu without the red Yoruba soup ( ofemanuu) as some igbos jibe. weaned my sons off that.

I only proferred a tested and trusted alternative to weaning a child from experience and practice but with a caution/ caveat.

1 Like

Re: My Baby Won't Eat.....Please Suggestions (Worried Dad) by Sagamite(m): 8:13pm On Feb 18, 2018
mastermaestro:
x

Who the fck is this cretinous person?
Re: My Baby Won't Eat.....Please Suggestions (Worried Dad) by Sagamite(m): 8:16pm On Feb 18, 2018
EbolaParasite:

While i don't advocate force feeding, you sir or maam are the one behaving like an illiterate. You obviously have no experience with kids. There are kids that have refused to eat and ended up in the hospital. The theory that they will eat when hungry is false. There are some kids with psychological/neurological issues that are picky with what they want and would rather starve to death. The only thing you can scold the OP for is force feeding. Every other thing is wrong. OP is right to be worried and all they need do is find ways of getting the child to eat. Insinuating a child will eventually eat when hunger wires the child is an ILLITERATE assertion.

You are a cretinous person!

What part of check your child and take them to a medical expert or change the food did your moronic brain struggle to comprehend?

You were force-fed till you were brain damaged?

1 Like

Re: My Baby Won't Eat.....Please Suggestions (Worried Dad) by mastermaestro(m): 8:17pm On Feb 18, 2018
Sagamite:

Who the fck is this cretinous person?

Re: My Baby Won't Eat.....Please Suggestions (Worried Dad) by Sagamite(m): 8:20pm On Feb 18, 2018
mastermaestro:
x

Your entire lineage do not have 100th of the sense in one atom of my spit.

Cretin!

1 Like

Re: My Baby Won't Eat.....Please Suggestions (Worried Dad) by Juzzybabe(f): 8:20pm On Feb 18, 2018
Changing babies food is a gradual process. Don't worry, just keep breastfeeding and trying the cereal as well even if the kid eats just little, after a while, your baby will adjust to the new meal and leave breast milk. Some kids do not accept changes in food easily. My kid is almost three years but eats nothing other than Golden mourn of which it took so long before she got adjusted to it. Your baby will adjust but with time. be patient and observant.

1 Like

Re: My Baby Won't Eat.....Please Suggestions (Worried Dad) by umuna(m): 8:22pm On Feb 18, 2018
Cornido:

Teething problem. Go and buy teething syrup.
Re: My Baby Won't Eat.....Please Suggestions (Worried Dad) by wandeykul(f): 8:25pm On Feb 18, 2018
Cornido:
please try August secrets foods sir, you can check on instagram augustsecrets.ng
Re: My Baby Won't Eat.....Please Suggestions (Worried Dad) by Nobody: 8:25pm On Feb 18, 2018
umuna:

Teething problem. Go and buy teething syrup.
Not teething problem, been using teething powder for some months now, at 9 months, he has 6 teeth
Re: My Baby Won't Eat.....Please Suggestions (Worried Dad) by Sagamite(m): 8:26pm On Feb 18, 2018
profmallor:

A lot of grown ups today were force fed at least once in their childhood years, especially those that grew up in privileged homes, because not eating is a rich man's child's issue. A lot of the parents then were equally strangely very educated. I think the act is bore out of desperation. And besides all your points, a lot of children from privileged homes would still not eat after your 3 points, they see food as a distraction from fun - wont blame them cause they have being pampered silly with options.

Every human being has to eat.

When hunger wires a child, na im go come say "Mummy, I am hungry" if he/she is old enough to talk.

Force-feeding or beating/screaming at a child to eat is just nonsense parenting indulged in by parents desperate to convince themselves they are doing a good job or think they are competing to get their child to reach a certain physical development.

Force-feeding a baby is dangerous and irresponsible.

1 Like

Re: My Baby Won't Eat.....Please Suggestions (Worried Dad) by homenje73: 8:28pm On Feb 18, 2018
you still give the option of Brest feeding, that's why. You don't Brest feed towards the time you want him to eat I.e allow him to be hungry ( he won't die) then try the cereal , with this method ,he will definitely adjust to cereal foods.
Good Luck

1 Like

Re: My Baby Won't Eat.....Please Suggestions (Worried Dad) by gretblue: 8:28pm On Feb 18, 2018
Don't deprive the lad of his right. Paediatrics history has shown baby boys love sucking boobs until they are well over a year.
Re: My Baby Won't Eat.....Please Suggestions (Worried Dad) by Sagamite(m): 8:28pm On Feb 18, 2018
keenn:

why not calm down.

alot of us were fed that way, perhaps u inclusive. though wrong but u are far too exaggerating the action the OP made.

My parents are educated and had far much more sense to not do such.

I only saw it done by illiterates in the village.

2 Likes

Re: My Baby Won't Eat.....Please Suggestions (Worried Dad) by umuna(m): 8:29pm On Feb 18, 2018
Cornido:

Not teething problem, been using teething powder for some months now, at 9 months, he has 6 teeth

Yes we experienced same problem with our 2nd child. The child is still an infant under 9months. You might change the teething powder/syrup you are using and see how it goes.
Re: My Baby Won't Eat.....Please Suggestions (Worried Dad) by Nobody: 8:31pm On Feb 18, 2018
My thoughts exactly, they started to wean him too late.
Nutase:
You guys started late. Your first attempt at introducing him to cereals and pap should have been at 6 months.

You have to keep trying until he breaks otherwise your wife won't be able to cope.
Re: My Baby Won't Eat.....Please Suggestions (Worried Dad) by Temidayo9(m): 8:36pm On Feb 18, 2018
Cornido:
Relax bro, your baby will eventually eat, am currently experiencing same thing with my boy of 9months,

Baby's re different, some do eat selectively, you just have to manage him for now.
Re: My Baby Won't Eat.....Please Suggestions (Worried Dad) by lawlhee: 8:40pm On Feb 18, 2018
Some comments here are so wicked. Don't you want to have kids. grin
Re: My Baby Won't Eat.....Please Suggestions (Worried Dad) by dinggle: 8:40pm On Feb 18, 2018
Force-feeding is irritating to the bone! ...........pls dont think it or try it. It is a thin line between life and choke for a child. Children now a days have adult brain, your baby is vexing give him some breathing space and put on cartoon to refresh him.

1 Like

Re: My Baby Won't Eat.....Please Suggestions (Worried Dad) by Dsdada: 8:43pm On Feb 18, 2018
You guys are too much in a hurry! Your child is probably perfectly ok-just finding it difficult to adjust to a change in diet-most adults would react pretty same way. Remember like someone rightly said you started late..... So try the following steps:

1. If you can, begin a phased withdrawal of the breast milk and introduce other kinds of food gradually.

2. If the child takes only little at a time and you think it won't be enough. Allow him/her to take-up the new menu at his/her pace.

3. Try varieties of meals- here try to be very creative- keep in mind foods that may not be age-appropriate.

4. Ask google

5. Relax- it's all part of growing up.

6. If you notice something serious, visit the hospital.

7. Hope it helps. Cheers!
Re: My Baby Won't Eat.....Please Suggestions (Worried Dad) by eniolorunfe: 8:47pm On Feb 18, 2018
Cornido:

The thing is this.... If you give him a taste of whatever we are eating, he accepts it readily and even comes for more, be it beans, semi, soup, bread, rice etc but he doesn't take enough of it for it to be a meal for him

Herein lies the answer you're seeking for now....I like this kind of kids sef, very cost effective....saves you from spending money on oyinbo food upandan....lol. All you need to do is to give him these foods that he likes but, at shorter intervals.

Feeding time is meant to be pleasurable so, no more force feeding abeg, to avoid stories that touch. Children are different, feed your child what he likes not what you think he should like.
Re: My Baby Won't Eat.....Please Suggestions (Worried Dad) by delishpot: 8:48pm On Feb 18, 2018
Cornido:

Try fruits such as Apple. Peel and boil with very little amount of water or just google how to make apple sauce. You can also try mashed sweet potato. Maybe baby is even ready to eat regular foods like mashed yams and bannanas.
Some baies like certain flavours. Try adding some soya powder to his pap or mashed sweet potatoes (Best if you guys can make it at home google can help too)
###Please when introducing a new food ingerdient to baby give the child a very small amount and wait a day before continuing. This is done to check if the baby is allergic to the new food ingredient. Incase baby is sensitive, the fact that you did not give him too much at first would make the reaction pretty mild. Look out for any change in babys health, skin, breathing, etc. If baby accepts the food and alk goes well healthwise, increase the pirtion of the ingredient and watch again. If all goes well and baby likes it then feel free to serve as much as baby can accept.
Re: My Baby Won't Eat.....Please Suggestions (Worried Dad) by Lloydfather(m): 8:48pm On Feb 18, 2018
Cornido:
some children are like that, there's nothing to worry about. Try TEA to see if he likes it, don't be surprised he may only demand for tea all days.

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (Reply)

Second Born Children Are More Rebellious And Prone To Criminal Act / My Father Is Destroying My Brother And My Family!!! / Name You Saved Your Mom's Phone Number With

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 142
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.