Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,153,015 members, 7,817,992 topics. Date: Sunday, 05 May 2024 at 02:28 AM

BBC Says 11 Million Lagosians Live In Slums - Rubbish Journalism - Politics (9) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / BBC Says 11 Million Lagosians Live In Slums - Rubbish Journalism (22147 Views)

Saraki’s Loyalists To Rubbish Buhari’s Ministerial List As Rivals Plot His Remov / Fashola Destroys Slums In Lagos, Leaving Thousands Homeless / Picture Of Slums In The Usa (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) ... (6) (7) (8) (9) (10) (11) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: BBC Says 11 Million Lagosians Live In Slums - Rubbish Journalism by UpBendel(m): 12:02am On Apr 27, 2010
hmmmmm, does this require a response, ??

tensor777:

I hope LASG officials put programs in place to prevent people just coming to Lagos without a cogent reason or without contacts.
Re: BBC Says 11 Million Lagosians Live In Slums - Rubbish Journalism by 14(m): 12:17am On Apr 27, 2010
Dissaster
Re: BBC Says 11 Million Lagosians Live In Slums - Rubbish Journalism by olaolabiy: 12:23am On Apr 27, 2010
this thread illustrates every thing bad about nigerians. that we are very silly is an understatement. sometimes, you wonder if black people are really HUMAN. dr watson once made this claim in london. that our brains are not well-developed --by GOD. how can some people dispute the fact that 11 million lagosians live in slum? how many live in ikoyi/vi? at least 95 % of lagosians live in slum if you include facts like open drainage, constant electricity, wc, running water, fire fighting services(like fire blanket at home and smoke alarm) and access to safe cooking means like ovens, gas.

some idiots were even arguing about beaf's use of english.

but i believe we are human enough.why?
by reading the comments of people like ajanlekoko(who lives in lagos but was really honest in his comment about the state of things), beaf, sagamite and many others.

to people like tensor and honerich(or what is he called?), i have one message for you-keep on celebrating ignorance.
Re: BBC Says 11 Million Lagosians Live In Slums - Rubbish Journalism by olaolabiy: 1:07am On Apr 27, 2010
these days, you can also add access to the internet-at home or in a local library/centre. or owned by your local council.

and if you want to be really modern, then add access(even if it means paying a token) to a well-organised sporting park/centre/gym run by your local council. or one(gym) owned by you at home.
Re: BBC Says 11 Million Lagosians Live In Slums - Rubbish Journalism by ziga: 1:25am On Apr 27, 2010
ola olabiy:

this thread illustrates every thing bad about nigerians. that we are very silly is an understatement. sometimes, you wonder if black people are really HUMAN. dr watson once made this claim in london. that[b] our brains are not well-developed --by GOD[/b]. how can some people dispute the fact that 11 million lagosians live in slum? how many live in ikoyi/vi? at least 95 % of lagosians live in slum if you include facts like open drainage, constant electricity, wc, running water, fire fighting services(like fire blanket at home and smoke alarm) and access to safe cooking means like ovens, gas.

by reading the comments of people like ajanlekoko(who lives in lagos but really honest about the state of things), beaf, sagamite and many others.

to people like tensor and honerich(or what is he called?), i have one message for you-keep on celebrating ignorance.

Well, who do you think is more ignorant?

I think it is the person who looks down on other people's methods of doing things blindly. We are only limited by our knowledge. So, because i am not modern in the way you perceive it, then it means i am a slum dweller.

Don't get me wrong, there are slums in Lagos that need improval, and they were shown in the bbc documentary. But unlike you, bbc was biggin up the lives of these people.

i am raising these points because of the so called standards you have come up with in defining a slum.

So, because you think cooking with anything besides gas is unsafe, then i live in a slum?
because i don't have smoke alarm or a fire blanket, i live in a slum?
because i don't use a wc i live in a slum?

I agree that some things in Lagos/Nigeria need to be changed, and even a blind man will see that. Luckily, there have been good signs in recent times.

But using derogatory words on other people based on your inability to do things the way i do my things is extremely superficial.
Re: BBC Says 11 Million Lagosians Live In Slums - Rubbish Journalism by Kobojunkie: 1:28am On Apr 27, 2010
ziga:

Don't get me wrong, there are slums in Lagos that need improval, and they were shown in the bbc documentary. But unlike you, bbc was biggin up the lives of these people.
i am raising these points because of the so called standards you have come up with in defining a slum.
What so called standards? The standards have yet to change for so long now. Is it possible you choose instead to MOVE THE BAR when it suits YOU?
Re: BBC Says 11 Million Lagosians Live In Slums - Rubbish Journalism by olaolabiy: 1:40am On Apr 27, 2010
^^^^^^^thanks kobo. let him continue to rant. he sees it as a personal attack on fashola. rather, i was only attacking the system.

in this computer age, mr ziga thinks not having wc is not slum-living.

in a state where people still fetch their drinking water in buckets.
i have always said leaders are products of any given society. and they reflect what followers are like.
leaders are not the only problem in nigeria. our mentality is. our collective psyche as a people is- as exemplified by ziga.
Re: BBC Says 11 Million Lagosians Live In Slums - Rubbish Journalism by ziga: 1:44am On Apr 27, 2010
^^^^^^
Am sorry brother, but you are the one who is a slave to the world!!!

I on the other hand and all the slum dwellers you saw on that documentary are free men.

BTW, i don't care about whoever is in Government. I only respect people who have free minds!!!
Re: BBC Says 11 Million Lagosians Live In Slums - Rubbish Journalism by olaolabiy: 1:48am On Apr 27, 2010
^^^^i grew up in the slum. unlike you, i grew up armed with reality. unlike your jaundiced notion of modern-living.
Re: BBC Says 11 Million Lagosians Live In Slums - Rubbish Journalism by olaolabiy: 1:51am On Apr 27, 2010
and ziga, if you continue like this(not saying/denying the truth), how will it set you free? and that includes freedom from the slum.
Re: BBC Says 11 Million Lagosians Live In Slums - Rubbish Journalism by ziga: 1:52am On Apr 27, 2010
^^^^^^
You think you know. . .

But, you have no idea about me. And unfortunately, unlike me, i have seen that you don't have the ability to look below where you stand and see other people there for who they really are.

The BBC guys were able to see the slum dwellers for who they really are, but the only thing you see is poor people that need help. I'm sure if you were in government, you will advocate that they be removed and given better jobs in clean places. aint
Re: BBC Says 11 Million Lagosians Live In Slums - Rubbish Journalism by ziga: 1:54am On Apr 27, 2010
ola olabiy:

and ziga, if you continue like this(not saying/denying the truth), how will it set you free? and that includes[b] freedom from the slum[/b].

exactly like i thought.

Remove them from the slum and give them a better life as you(almighty) deem fit.
Re: BBC Says 11 Million Lagosians Live In Slums - Rubbish Journalism by olaolabiy: 1:54am On Apr 27, 2010
^^^^^^^^^yes mr ziga
Re: BBC Says 11 Million Lagosians Live In Slums - Rubbish Journalism by olaolabiy: 1:57am On Apr 27, 2010
most nigerians live there anyway. so you can't just remove these ones.
just make the country better and stop amassing/stealing wealth/resources for your family alone. build a society.
Re: BBC Says 11 Million Lagosians Live In Slums - Rubbish Journalism by hbrednic: 2:25am On Apr 27, 2010
ola olabiy:

most nigerians live there anyway. so you can't just remove these ones.
just make the country better and stop amassing/stealing wealth/resources for your family alone. build a society.

are you not a nigerian or were you born with half-head  why dont you build the society?
Re: BBC Says 11 Million Lagosians Live In Slums - Rubbish Journalism by Kobojunkie: 2:39am On Apr 27, 2010
hbrednic:

[/b]
are you not a nigerian or were you born with half-head  why dont you build the society?

Is it his/her job to build our society? What do we HIRE CIVIL servants, and PAY them to do? Sit back and eat money all day while our roads, infrastructure rot away?
Re: BBC Says 11 Million Lagosians Live In Slums - Rubbish Journalism by Cohomology: 5:23am On Apr 27, 2010
Instead of quarreling with the BBC, Nigerians and their very useless government should go fix the country and stop paying attention to the BBC.
Re: BBC Says 11 Million Lagosians Live In Slums - Rubbish Journalism by eastOFwest(m): 6:24am On Apr 27, 2010
Re: BBC Says 11 Million Lagosians Live In Slums - Rubbish Journalism by tkb417(m): 7:50am On Apr 27, 2010
ola olabiy:

this thread illustrates every thing bad about nigerians. that we are very silly is an understatement. sometimes, you wonder if black people are really HUMAN. dr watson once made this claim in london. that our brains are not well-developed --by GOD. how can some people dispute the fact that 11 million lagosians live in slum? how many live in ikoyi/vi? at least 95 % of lagosians live in slum if you include facts like open drainage, constant electricity, wc, running water, fire fighting services(like fire blanket at home and smoke alarm) and access to safe cooking means like ovens, gas.

by reading the comments of people like ajanlekoko(who lives in lagos but was really honest in his comment about the state of things), beaf, sagamite and many others.

You need to enlist in one of the adult classes

i heard the open University is perfect for pederasts like you. pls be wise and use this opportunity to clear the cobwebs in your skull
Re: BBC Says 11 Million Lagosians Live In Slums - Rubbish Journalism by Ossaifamous(m): 7:53am On Apr 27, 2010
For those of u who think that bbc is wrong think again, for me a place is a slum if both internal and external factors are bad e.g a big mansion in ajegunle is a slum, and look again where nor bad 4 lagos self agbado, mushin abi orile? bbc dey right
Re: BBC Says 11 Million Lagosians Live In Slums - Rubbish Journalism by Ossaifamous(m): 8:08am On Apr 27, 2010
@ziga if you think not having those things u mentioned like the w.c and gas cooker isn't slum living then I must say am disappointed. Bbc is saying the truth and we should just take it like that. My friend swims to his house from work when it rains. And my house nko? That's a story for another day. Yes most of us are really slum dwellers.
Re: BBC Says 11 Million Lagosians Live In Slums - Rubbish Journalism by denitro(m): 10:09am On Apr 27, 2010
Wise old saying, "If you go about life and people are not hating on you, then it means you are doing something wrong"
Lagos living condition is better than those of some key capital cities in West Africa, yet they are hating.
[img]http://instructors.cwrl.utexas.edu/widner/sites/instructors.cwrl.utexas.edu.widner/files/images/boondocksRiley500.jpg[/img]
Re: BBC Says 11 Million Lagosians Live In Slums - Rubbish Journalism by babsmii(m): 10:16am On Apr 27, 2010
Ossai famous:

@ziga if you think not having those things u mentioned like the w.c and gas cooker isn't slum living then I must say am disappointed. Bbc is saying the truth and we should just take it like that. My friend swims to his house from work when it rains. And my house nko? That's a story for another day. Yes most of us are really slum dwellers.
grin grin grin

ola olabiy:

this guy is sick, because a white lvnatic said our brains is not well developed means his brain is right?
u both need help. check your head first
Re: BBC Says 11 Million Lagosians Live In Slums - Rubbish Journalism by bigbounce(m): 11:31am On Apr 27, 2010
I wouldn't blame them say that rubbish but we should look out there and see if they are right or not?See my brothers,fathers,sister and mother,we can only a way forward when we are ready to face our fears.you are afraid so i am to face the bad influence so who is going to make it right?or do you think is all this decievers that call themselves Governors,president,senators,house of assembles or councilors?we are the people to fight for our right and freedom.as for me we are still in slavery era.reason why is that you know what is right and you will be in the community and you see someone doing it wrong and you can't challenge the person because you have fears he may beat you or disgrace you.Only slave will get used to what his/her master do to him/her because is a slave.But you all celebrate foolishly.I believe you are await the independent day to celebrate that again right?Ghana that most of you thieves from Nigeria after stealing money good their and invest they economy is meeting up,$1 is equal to 1cedi which is 94naira in Nigeria and you all are there watching the future of your kids ruining or you don't know that when the country have something to offer that is when you have your own dream about future?Go into the street you will see the Old man and woman become a beggar in the street or highway just because their kids are not well ok to think of going to feed their parent.you will go out from resume work from 8am till 6pm or some 8 or 9pm and at the end of the you are not earning good salary.but you are lucky to get visa to europe,uk or usa you will only work 4hours and earn enough to feed your self and have left over will you ever dream of coming back to Nigeria?All those idiots are their fighting throwing chairs because they are after what they want to share they are not after to build the Nation.You should be ashame of yourself to celebrate Independent day.Most of them all sell the country investment to their family and friend because they have larger shares from there.GOD will purnish them all.If queen said Nigeria or Lagosians Live in Slums accept that because that is the truth.we are 4 living a room as boys if anyone of us contact disease don't you know that we all can be infected too because we breath for each other when we sleep.there are many issues Government need to look into they won't all they are concern about where money is coming in and out of the country.After all their years in office they won't be able to give specific account on what they spend the country money to do.my friend in canada bought his car $750 can you but any working perfect car here at that rate tell me.food is cheap there,accomodation is cheap,clothing is cheap unless you that want to buy luxury things which is very flashy.here Government have no support for us.India will come here employ people here and use them as a slave if am lying go those factory look at the way Nigerians are maltreated what they can never do in their countries they will come here and pratice that because the government don't care.Till another time am later for work i get to go now but think my people,
Re: BBC Says 11 Million Lagosians Live In Slums - Rubbish Journalism by labiyemmy(m): 11:52am On Apr 27, 2010
With so many ills to talk about in their country, they shift focus to africa.

Teenage gun crime

Teenage pregnancy

Booze problem

How can they see it as something to talk about when if you get pregnant at 15 or 16, and you have the child, the government pays you to have the baby, gives you accommodation, gives you money to take care of the baby, and pamper you forever. They have nothing more to write or talk about but to talk about Africa.
Re: BBC Says 11 Million Lagosians Live In Slums - Rubbish Journalism by sley4life(m): 12:31pm On Apr 27, 2010
Too bad. But i disagree with the statistic. British media are liars. They hate 9ja and they always make our country look so bad in the media
Re: BBC Says 11 Million Lagosians Live In Slums - Rubbish Journalism by Sagamite(m): 12:32pm On Apr 27, 2010
tensor777:

I also don't know what you are getting at . But I believe the Fashola Regime is right now focused on the making Lagos attractive to prospective investors and middle class professionals.

But I have to say considering the state and location of such slums as Makoko and Ajegunle any solution Fashola would employ would be more destuctive at first than constructive.I mean that may entail sending in the bulldozers.

He or anybody else for that matter, has no other magic wand to wave that would make places like Makoko salubrious.

Thank you very much.

Lame castigation of governments by those that have no clue.

The best the Fashola govt can do for now is to improve the local infrastructure so that trade can be enabled.

The more the rich, middle-class and foreigners invests, the more opportunities for employment for the poor or entrepreneurial provision of adjacent services by the poor.

They need to trade out of poverty, and the increase in economic activities from local and foreign direct investment spurred by infrastructural development would lead to increase in govt revenue from taxes, which then provides the capital to provide local services including tackling slums bit by bit.

But some people expect the magic wand, because they watched Prof Peller when they were young. Abacradabra! And the money to turn Lagos to Dubai is there and ready.
Re: BBC Says 11 Million Lagosians Live In Slums - Rubbish Journalism by Sagamite(m): 12:37pm On Apr 27, 2010
allycat:

Our leaders will never be acountable because we are such a docile lot who dont think we deserve better. Mende maryland which I lived in for over 15 years on the surface may not  be classified as  a slum. While there is decent accomodation available, there are also people living in zink and wooden shacks in the same neigbourhood. People also live in partially sunken houses which have been abandoned by their owners. When I used to go jogging in the mornings, you had to be careful so as not to step on human faeces tied up in nylon bags, cos there are houses there ( face me I face you) still without toilets in this decade. Chickens from other peoples houses even used to stray into my compound from time to time, not to mention goats and stray dogs which wandered around the neighbourhood.
So while many of us lived in what we considered decent accomodation, a large percentage lived in what will be described as slum conditions . And I am sure this is replicated all over Lagos.Places like Amuwo Odofin low cost houses would be considered slum dwelling in civilized nations.
Unfortunately, once any of us gets some level of comfort we build a high fence, sink a bore hole, buy DSTV and pretend to ourselves that we have arrived. Shame of a nation.

Good post.

I am yet to see any of our moronic TV firms go and film this places and contrast with Senators and Reps that continually ask for allowance increases.

This is the type of journalism quality journalist do to spur the nation. But we have shitt heads in the media from head to bottom.
Re: BBC Says 11 Million Lagosians Live In Slums - Rubbish Journalism by Sagamite(m): 12:39pm On Apr 27, 2010
Freiburger:

BBC's estimate was wrong, the number of Lagosians living in Slums is more than that. [size=18pt]don't ask me the actual numbers or my source of information.[/size]
Instead of that fool thinking on how he can alleviate poverty he is so busy planting flowers in place where they can easily be seen by visitors. And a lot of animals like him are praising him for these gabages.

It might be best not to comment then.
Re: BBC Says 11 Million Lagosians Live In Slums - Rubbish Journalism by Freiburger(m): 2:27pm On Apr 27, 2010
Sagamite:

It might be best not to comment then.

Don't get me wrong, i don't need any special source of information or any special sense oragan to that almost the of whole of Logos is a slums.
Re: BBC Says 11 Million Lagosians Live In Slums - Rubbish Journalism by sulad82i(m): 5:28pm On Apr 27, 2010
I dont think we can get any accurate number or close number on how many people live in Lagos cos we dont have the system for such counting.
Re: BBC Says 11 Million Lagosians Live In Slums - Rubbish Journalism by stede(m): 9:31pm On Apr 27, 2010
that is not true at all

(1) (2) (3) ... (6) (7) (8) (9) (10) (11) (Reply)

Ojukwu Would Have Ruled Nigeria —Gowon / We Don’t Know Whether Tompolo Is Dead – Army / Security Agents Comb Site In New Push Against Magu

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 65
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.