Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,154,209 members, 7,822,076 topics. Date: Thursday, 09 May 2024 at 05:47 AM

Some Employers Are Just Harsh - Jobs/Vacancies (3) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Jobs/Vacancies / Some Employers Are Just Harsh (11650 Views)

Why Do Some Employers Prefer Ladies For Jobs Than Men? / What Employees Go Through In The Hands Of Some Employers In Nigeria / 5 Proven Reasons Why Employers Are Rejecting Your CV Without Even Reading It (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Some Employers Are Just Harsh by OGHENAOGIE(m): 1:03pm On Feb 20, 2018
vevcommedia:
My cousin was going to an interview on the island. Unfortunately his bus broke down on 3rd mainland bridge. It was a while before their bus was fixed and he got late to the interview. He sent a mail and text to the company (from the email that invited him) when he noticed the situation was going to make him late. He finally got there and these guys refused to see him, saying their policy doesn't allow for lateness. I understand it's not good to be late but since he explained ahead of time, shouldn't they have allowed him. It seem so harsh, the guy has been hustling, we know how things are difficult in Lagos. He was only about 12 min late.
Has anyone experienced something like this? Should he keep trying to contact, maybe fight for another interview date?
talk about wen opportunities are limited in a society.... Yet our school system is getting worse from primary to secondary...no panache to it...pple are not train to discover sm inate tins or train in something....no school sports....ll only prayer help us I doubt....
Re: Some Employers Are Just Harsh by Nobody: 1:06pm On Feb 20, 2018
vevcommedia:
My cousin was going to an interview on the island. Unfortunately his bus broke down on 3rd mainland bridge. It was a while before their bus was fixed and he got late to the interview. He sent a mail and text to the company (from the email that invited him) when he noticed the situation was going to make him late. He finally got there and these guys refused to see him, saying their policy doesn't allow for lateness. I understand it's not good to be late but since he explained ahead of time, shouldn't they have allowed him. It seem so harsh, the guy has been hustling, we know how things are difficult in Lagos. He was only about 12 min late.
Has anyone experienced something like this? Should he keep trying to contact, maybe fight for another interview date?

I would do the same to your cousin if he had an interview with me
Re: Some Employers Are Just Harsh by Bishopism: 2:05pm On Feb 20, 2018
Those people saying the Guy was not serious for coming late are just unreasonable. Now look at my own case, I left festac to obalende around 7:30 for an interview at 10am. I got there by 11am because I used a BRT. The supposed time I got there could take me from lagos to Ogun Start. You never can say, maybe you expected him to take a bike that will cost him more for a job that is not sure. Must interview are time and money miss road especially those will fell for GNLD company invite.

1 Like

Re: Some Employers Are Just Harsh by sprints1: 2:14pm On Feb 20, 2018
Lomprico2:
They are not harsh! You or ur cousin are not serious. U know how lagos traffic is, you shld factor that in your movement and since its ur bus that broke down why didn't u quickly join another vehicle n move instead of waiting for the bus to be fixed. So had it been d bus was not fixed u for tell them to reschedule d interview?
what if the one of this building truck break down on the road and it took more than two hours for men at work to move it away from the road and the interviewee is coming from lekki and interview is at ikoyi truck broke down before toll gate
Re: Some Employers Are Just Harsh by LaudableXX: 3:02pm On Feb 20, 2018
Teetopz:

The op should not work there. I close from work latest 4:00pm. i was 2 hrs late fro an appointement tey informed me two week before the d-day. upon getting there, they asked me, can we continue this interview or postpone it to anoter day, I said, No, after their break, I ws interviewed.I got the job. it turned out the place is fun to be, the other two applicants were skyped. Resumption is 9:00am closing 4:00pm

Thank you, o jare. cool The last organisation I worked for was a highly-rated multinational firm. I was invited for an aptitude test, and got there late. I was allowed to sit for the test, but was not given any extra time. Somehow, I passed. I got shortlisted and was invited for the interview. Again, I got there late. I was the last to arrive. So, the panel decided to interview me, after lunchtime. I waited for 1 and half hours. Couldn't blame them as I arrived late. On a panel of 4 people, 3 were expatriates and only 1 was a Nigerian. I got the job, despite being the last to arrive for the interview, 18 minutes behind schedule. I had a great time there.

In contrast to that, a certain local firm I had done an interview with 3 months before that, (after arriving 30 minutes early for the interview, o!), decided to send back 2 candidates who were less than 10 minutes late. That local firm collapsed 2 years later, after widespread allegations relating to corruption and breach of corporate governance codes became public.....

2 Likes

Re: Some Employers Are Just Harsh by femi4: 3:03pm On Feb 20, 2018
Bishopism:
Those people saying the Guy was not serious for coming late are just unreasonable. Now look at my own case, I left festac to obalende around 7:30 for an interview at 10am. I got there by 11am because I used a BRT. The supposed time I got there could take me from lagos to Ogun Start. You never can say, maybe you expected him to take a bike that will cost him more for a job that is not sure. Must interview are time and money miss road especially those will fell for GNLD company invite.
Wrong timing. For interview slated for 10am, leaving your house around 6am should be appropriate.

This is Lagos, the traffic from 7am can be frustrating. People that beat such traffic leave home early from 4:30-6:00am
Re: Some Employers Are Just Harsh by teledola(m): 3:39pm On Feb 20, 2018
Marketing Job has gone beyond walking up and down on the road. Especially with the help of social media. ICT /Marketing. This is a top class Insurance marketing Job.

Job Title: LIFE/NON LIFE INSURANCE Marketer

Industry / Sector: Insurance

Detailed Job Description
The Qualified candidate will be given World-class Training on Insurance, Product Knowledge and Prospecting Skills/Presentation.

Requirements: OND, NCE, BSC/HND
Experience in Client Relationship/Sales will be an advantage.

Method of Application

Interested and qualified candidates should Send their CV's to lasacosamunit@gmail.com

NOTE: DO NOT APPLY IF YOU ARE NOT IN LAGOS
Re: Some Employers Are Just Harsh by Lomprico2: 7:12pm On Feb 20, 2018
sprints1:

what if the one of this building truck break down on the road and it took more than two hours for men at work to move it away from the road and the interviewee is coming from lekki and interview is at ikoyi truck broke down before toll gate

Nigga! Excuses wont get u any job!!

If wat u said happens to you, go and meet ur pastor or imam to wash ur head cos ur village people dey with ur pin number!
Re: Some Employers Are Just Harsh by Xagaa(m): 7:38pm On Feb 20, 2018
I may sound harsh and insensitive but the truth is he didnt prepare well. Had he, he would have done everything possible to be there 30mins before time. This shows some level of seriousness for the job. Lets stop making excuses for our failures
Re: Some Employers Are Just Harsh by MIKOLOWISKA: 8:15pm On Feb 20, 2018
vevcommedia:
if you were on operating table and doctor sent text that he will be late .........
Re: Some Employers Are Just Harsh by kingasap(m): 9:22am On Feb 21, 2018
Lomprico2:
They are not harsh! You or ur cousin are not serious. U know how lagos traffic is, you shld factor that in your movement and since its ur bus that broke down why didn't u quickly join another vehicle n move instead of waiting for the bus to be fixed. So had it been d bus was not fixed u for tell them to reschedule d interview?

Exactly. Nigerians like to sugar coat things. If an interview is scheduled for 9am and you get there by 9am you are technically late. you should strive for at least thirty minutes before the appointed time.
Re: Some Employers Are Just Harsh by LaudableXX: 11:40am On Feb 21, 2018
Lomprico2:
What are you saying? Quickly join another vehicle and move? shocked Do you think it is that easy? Do you even know the location where the vehicle broke down? undecided It could have been right on top of 3rd Mainland Bridge, where many vehicles will be speeding past, but none will stop for you! Apart from that, people are very wary about stopping to pick up strangers, these days. Finally, he may just have had enough money for that particular trip and joining another vehicle, would have meant paying extra money which he didn't have! shocked
Re: Some Employers Are Just Harsh by beeyourduhn(m): 11:49am On Feb 21, 2018
win a chance to get free professional interview preparation session from a top career caoch in your industry by sharing you previous interview experience https://www.facebook.com/talentmineafrica/photos/a.573725369332351.1073741828.565084063529815/1678575378847339/?type=3&theater
Re: Some Employers Are Just Harsh by Lomprico2: 12:16pm On Feb 21, 2018
LaudableXX:

What are you saying? Quickly join another vehicle and move? shocked Do you think it is that easy? Do you even know the location where the vehicle broke down? undecided It could have been right on top of 3rd Mainland Bridge, where many vehicles will be speeding past, but none will stop for you! Apart from that, people are very wary about stopping to pick up strangers, these days. Finally, he may just have had enough money for that particular trip and joining another vehicle, would have meant paying extra money which he didn't have! shocked

Like I answered other people before you, he never ready to get the job.
Re: Some Employers Are Just Harsh by LaudableXX: 12:24pm On Feb 21, 2018
Lomprico2:
Like I answered other people before you, he never ready to get the job.
Wubbish! sad From experience, I have discovered that it is companies that value mediocrity who thrive on such mundane and ridiculous rules. A serious organisation interested in hiring the best candidate (not the one that simply wants to fulfill all righteousness, o!) would either reschedule the interview, or make him wait for another hour or two, to interview him that same day. undecided

An international organisation once asked me to come in for an interview. They rescheduled it twice, to accommodate my plans. At the end of the day, I got the job but had to decline the offer as it came too late, because I had already started working elsewhere.
Re: Some Employers Are Just Harsh by Lomprico2: 1:07pm On Feb 21, 2018
LaudableXX:

Wubbish! sad From experience, I have discovered that it is companies that value mediocrity who thrive on such mundane and ridiculous rules. A serious organisation interested in hiring the best candidate (not the one that simply wants to fulfill all righteousness, o!) would either reschedule the interview, or make him wait for another hour or two, to interview him that same day. undecided

An international organisation once asked me to come in for an interview. They rescheduled it twice, to accommodate my plans. At the end of the day, I got the job but had to decline the offer as it came too late, because I had already started working elsewhere.

Hahaha! International job man!

I believe u fail to deliver on deadlines, come late to work and skip work whenever u feel like, all you need to do is to give excuses and of course they take ur excuses because u are one of their best brains! wink
Re: Some Employers Are Just Harsh by LaudableXX: 1:16pm On Feb 21, 2018
Lomprico2:
Hahaha! International job man!

I believe u fail to deliver on deadlines, come late to work and skip work whenever u feel like, all you need to do is to give excuses and of course they take ur excuses because u are one of their best brains! wink

That is where you are so wrong. undecided Most serious international organisations would give you an assignment or a project, as well as the tools you need to deliver it. Your deliverables and timelines are clear, while the process of execution is clearly spelt out, including the escalation paths you need to take, if you ever run into a hitch. So why on earth would you fail to deliver on a deadline? Especially when you have managers and project teams, who check in with you regularly on the status of the project, or its' deliverables?

A lot of local firms, expect staff to be productive, but hardly give them the tools, time, resources, coaching and support to achieve their deliverables. They only believe in issuing queries up and down, or even enforcing rules designed to stifle the person mentally. I have a friend going through that stress right now, and I have advised him to choose between his health and his job. sad He has just been diagnosed with high blood pressure.

And finally, would anyone who skips work like you alleged, be allowed to stay in a serious organisation?? shocked You sef, check am well nah. Maybe, you are the one who skips work and gives excuses, which is why you think everyone is just like you. If you are, I advise you to change.

1 Like

Re: Some Employers Are Just Harsh by Lomprico2: 4:13pm On Feb 21, 2018
LaudableXX:

That is where you are so wrong. undecided Most serious international organisations would give you an assignment or a project, as well as the tools you need to deliver it. Your deliverables and timelines are clear, while the process of execution is clearly spelt out, including the escalation paths you need to take, if you ever run into a hitch. So why on earth would you fail to deliver on a deadline? Especially when you have managers and project teams, who check in with you regularly on the status of the project, or its' deliverables?

A lot of local firms, expect staff to be productive, but hardly give them the tools, time, resources, coaching and support to achieve their deliverables. They only believe in issuing queries up and down, or even enforcing rules designed to stifle the person mentally. I have a friend going through that stress right now, and I have advised him to choose between his health and his job. sad He has just been diagnosed with high blood pressure.

And finally, would anyone who skips work like you alleged, be allowed to stay in a serious organisation?? shocked You sef, check am well nah. Maybe, you are the one who skips work and gives excuses, which is why you think everyone is just like you. If you are, I advise you to change.

Radaradaradarada!
Re: Some Employers Are Just Harsh by LaudableXX: 4:44pm On Feb 21, 2018
Lomprico2:
Radaradaradarada!

Re: Some Employers Are Just Harsh by digitalbabalawo(m): 9:46pm On Feb 21, 2018
Lomprico2:

Another M O R O N with no brains. Attacking with no empathy.

2 Likes

Re: Some Employers Are Just Harsh by Lomprico2: 9:56pm On Feb 21, 2018
[quote author=LaudableXX post=65257946][/quote]
undecided undecided undecided undecided
Re: Some Employers Are Just Harsh by Nobody: 12:06pm On Jun 08, 2018
cheesy
digitalbabalawo:

Another M O R O N with no brains. Attacking with no empathy.

(1) (2) (3) (Reply)

4 Interview Etiquette To Boost Your Chances Of Landing The Job / How To Convert Your Internship Into A Full Time Job / Detail Information Get Help Worldwide

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 79
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.