Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,152,861 members, 7,817,542 topics. Date: Saturday, 04 May 2024 at 02:05 PM

"I Never Believed I Would Marry An Illiterate" - Abuja Based Lady Reveals. Photo - Family (2) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Family / "I Never Believed I Would Marry An Illiterate" - Abuja Based Lady Reveals. Photo (53239 Views)

How I Got Back At My Cheating Nigerian Husband - US Based Lady (pix/video) / How Do I Convince My Family To Allow Me Marry An Osu / 'I Left My Marriage After My Wife Sat On Me And I Fainted' - Man Reveals. Photo (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: "I Never Believed I Would Marry An Illiterate" - Abuja Based Lady Reveals. Photo by Paradigm777: 9:19pm On Feb 20, 2018
Bobosneh:
If Say Na Me I No Go Chop Again, Chai It Pain Me For Her O
grin baddest!
Re: "I Never Believed I Would Marry An Illiterate" - Abuja Based Lady Reveals. Photo by Nobody: 9:21pm On Feb 20, 2018
Wise woman...if you say she marry illi..na you get problem
Re: "I Never Believed I Would Marry An Illiterate" - Abuja Based Lady Reveals. Photo by EternalTruth: 9:23pm On Feb 20, 2018
Desperate old woman
Re: "I Never Believed I Would Marry An Illiterate" - Abuja Based Lady Reveals. Photo by ud4u: 9:24pm On Feb 20, 2018
Education is not everything, but common sense sometimes

1 Like

Re: "I Never Believed I Would Marry An Illiterate" - Abuja Based Lady Reveals. Photo by Adebowale89(m): 9:28pm On Feb 20, 2018
so what prompt you to let go of your principle and policy was because of his handsomeness and his clownish nature? what after u tasted his preek

if feminist jam a guy with huge preeek, poor or illiterate, them go succumb onetime. only that could make a lady abandoned her class, taste, specs and principle

1 Like

Re: "I Never Believed I Would Marry An Illiterate" - Abuja Based Lady Reveals. Photo by Nobody: 9:28pm On Feb 20, 2018
Bottom line, we need to always keep an open mind

we shouldn't build imaginary standards, but go with the flow

Thanks for the tips

4 Likes

Re: "I Never Believed I Would Marry An Illiterate" - Abuja Based Lady Reveals. Photo by Nobody: 9:30pm On Feb 20, 2018
So not having a degree makes one illiterate? Is it at uni that people learn to read and write?
I guess Branson and Zuckerberg must be illiterates then undecided

3 Likes 1 Share

Re: "I Never Believed I Would Marry An Illiterate" - Abuja Based Lady Reveals. Photo by Nobody: 9:32pm On Feb 20, 2018
greiboy:
Bottom line, we need to always keep an open mind

we shouldn't build imaginary standards, but go with the flow

Thanks for the tip

Well said, though it isn't always that easy.
We all have what makes it tick for us... grin
Re: "I Never Believed I Would Marry An Illiterate" - Abuja Based Lady Reveals. Photo by kaykith05(m): 9:35pm On Feb 20, 2018
BeeBeeOoh:
Na only you dey talk, dey ask kweshon and still dey advice embarassed

Auntie e be like sey multitasking na ur profession undecided
Una no go kill me wif Laff abeg.

1 Like 1 Share

Re: "I Never Believed I Would Marry An Illiterate" - Abuja Based Lady Reveals. Photo by Stanleyafam(m): 9:36pm On Feb 20, 2018
Nigerians are yet to understand what the word illiterate is... Is she literate... OK can she fly a plane? If she can't then that means she's an illiterate when it comes to aviation... Nonsense!

1 Like

Re: "I Never Believed I Would Marry An Illiterate" - Abuja Based Lady Reveals. Photo by Stanleyafam(m): 9:37pm On Feb 20, 2018
trustyshoess:
So not having a degree makes one illiterate? Is it at uni that people learn to read and write?

Don't mind the illiterate lady

2 Likes

Re: "I Never Believed I Would Marry An Illiterate" - Abuja Based Lady Reveals. Photo by Nobody: 9:37pm On Feb 20, 2018
AntiBrutus:

Well said, though it isn't always that easy.
We all have what makes it tick for us... grin
Yes, nothing is really easy, especially when trying something outside ones comfort zone.

However, it is always nice to be humble always. The lady gave the guy some audience before she could notice those traits in him, despite her previous perception of the guy.

That shows some form of humility, something most ladies of nowadays don't necessarily have.

I think you are different though

1 Like

Re: "I Never Believed I Would Marry An Illiterate" - Abuja Based Lady Reveals. Photo by kevoh(m): 9:37pm On Feb 20, 2018
Speaking bad English is not illiteracy! angry

1 Like

Re: "I Never Believed I Would Marry An Illiterate" - Abuja Based Lady Reveals. Photo by BABANGBALI: 9:41pm On Feb 20, 2018
Kini big deal? Labake1 did same to me 5 years ago and today we thank God for where he has brought us
Re: "I Never Believed I Would Marry An Illiterate" - Abuja Based Lady Reveals. Photo by abuuzy(m): 9:42pm On Feb 20, 2018
This story is actually fabricated, from dailymail,seen it a week back

3 Likes

Re: "I Never Believed I Would Marry An Illiterate" - Abuja Based Lady Reveals. Photo by madridguy(m): 9:46pm On Feb 20, 2018
Meet me at ojota park tomorrow evening, 7 pm. I will be waiting.

t00dugged:
The presence or absence of a degree does not buy character which some broke guys that think all they need is money to keep a lady lack. They go around splashing their nasty attitude and low self-esteem all over the place and whine about women not staying with them because they are broke when Infact it's their attitude that is keeping the ladies away.

1 Like

Re: "I Never Believed I Would Marry An Illiterate" - Abuja Based Lady Reveals. Photo by sexdoll: 9:53pm On Feb 20, 2018
Only in nollywood
Re: "I Never Believed I Would Marry An Illiterate" - Abuja Based Lady Reveals. Photo by petitejolie(f): 9:54pm On Feb 20, 2018
picture or I don't believe it
Re: "I Never Believed I Would Marry An Illiterate" - Abuja Based Lady Reveals. Photo by Martin0(m): 9:57pm On Feb 20, 2018
trustyshoess:
grin
Re: "I Never Believed I Would Marry An Illiterate" - Abuja Based Lady Reveals. Photo by INDUSTRIALFAN(m): 9:59pm On Feb 20, 2018
t00dugged:
The presence or absence of a degree does not buy character which some broke guys that think all they need is money to keep a lady lack. They go around splashing their nasty attitude and low self-esteem all over the place and whine about women not staying with them because they are broke when Infact it's their attitude that is keeping the ladies away.
lol... True...
Re: "I Never Believed I Would Marry An Illiterate" - Abuja Based Lady Reveals. Photo by victorioushands: 10:01pm On Feb 20, 2018
ChangeIsCostant:
An Abuja based woman has revealed how she felt about marrying an illiterate some years ago before meeting her lovely heartthrob. According to her, she fell in love with [b]the man who had no form of degree, income or career prospect[/b]s but now they are happily married and blessed with two beautiful children.

Read the post shared by Humans of Abuja on behalf of the lady.

If someone had told me 5 years ago that I was going to end up marrying an illiterate, I would have presumed they were mad. But that’s what happened. I was 23 years old, happily single, with a successful career as a banker when I fell in love with a man that didn't have any form of degree, a Man with no income or career prospects.

September that year, I was transferred to Abuja and one Sunday evening, I was sitting in a restaurant waiting for a friend, when a man sat down next to me. "Do you have the time?" he asked, he looked Smart, his clothes were nice, his hair and beard well cut and we started chatting and to my surprise he made me laugh several times with his bad English. I couldn’t help but notice that despite his bad English, he was handsome and tall. After a few minutes my friend arrive and he stood up and before I could say anything further he pointed to my table and said, "tomorrow 7pm, same table" then he walked away.

My friend and I stared at each other, unable to believe what had happened. Had a man who appeared to be an illiterate order me to come back the next day? How could he be so confident? I found myself thinking about him through out that day, there was something about him that was so intriguing that I wanted to meet him again.

Finally, the next day arrived and I was so excited, I could barely think straight at work, it was 7pm and I left to wait for him at the restaurant, I waited and waited, after 20 minutes I was about to give up when he turned up. " I didn’t think you would come, I came to check just in case" he said with a smile. I smiled back and my anger melted away.

During our time together, I realised that he was simply the funniest, happiest and most optimistic person I had ever met. He had a lust for life that was both mesmerising and contagious. I had never met anyone like him before. I encouraged him to go back to school but he refused.

I helped him with his English and helped correct him whenever he spoke an incorrect one. He's currently very good in both spoken and written English and doing very well business wise. We got married 3 years ago and God has blessed us with 2 beautiful kids so far.

Source; https://www.nationalhelm.co/2018/02/lady-who-married-an-illiterate-five-years-ago-in-abuja-narrates-her-ordeal.html

How does any of these make him an illiterate, please? Don't people without degrees work in banks as well? Some of these people who prostituted and joined robbery just so they could have a university degree think everyone else who does not have it is an illiterate; no wonder many of them are messed up. And this one she is working in a bank, she could have been employed with a political science certificate. Education is a shame in Nigeria.
Re: "I Never Believed I Would Marry An Illiterate" - Abuja Based Lady Reveals. Photo by Nobody: 10:06pm On Feb 20, 2018
Wetin concern me. The man isn't illiterate, for him to indicate interest in you. Is buhari an illiterate?
Re: "I Never Believed I Would Marry An Illiterate" - Abuja Based Lady Reveals. Photo by labake1(f): 10:07pm On Feb 20, 2018
BABANGBALI:
Kini big deal? Labake1 did same to me 5 years ago and today we thank God for where he has brought us

Oya give me your contact
Re: "I Never Believed I Would Marry An Illiterate" - Abuja Based Lady Reveals. Photo by Nobody: 10:09pm On Feb 20, 2018
greiboy:
Yes, nothing is really easy, especially when trying something outside ones comfort zone.

However, it is always nice to be humble always. The lady gave the guy some audience before she could notice those traits in him, despite her previous perception of the guy.

That shows some form of humility, something most ladies of nowadays don't necessarily have.

I think you are different though

Sometimes it's a mood thing o. There are days one isn't in the mood for such covos. I hope that's not the day Mr Right chooses to come around cheesy.

2 Likes

Re: "I Never Believed I Would Marry An Illiterate" - Abuja Based Lady Reveals. Photo by akhy: 10:11pm On Feb 20, 2018
This is a copy and paste story and the lady should be charged with plagiarism. Her story was lifted from this

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/home/you/article-5330933/Real-lives-fell-love-homeless-man.html.

[b]The full story is below:

Twelve years ago, a homeless man in Amsterdam sat on a bench next to Emmy Abrahamson and asked her for the time. This is the unlikely romance that followed

If someone had told me 12 years ago that I was going to end up marrying a homeless alcoholic, I would have presumed they were mad. But that’s what happened. I was 30 years old, happily single, with a successful career as a writer, when I fell in love with a man who lived in a bush. A man with no income. Or career prospects. Or shoes.

I come from an academic family: my father was a foreign correspondent and I grew up in Sweden, the former Soviet Union, Austria, the Netherlands and the UK. Conversations over dinner were about politics, literature and recent world events. I loved school and I have a master’s from London’s Rada in text and performance studies. By 2006 I was living in Vienna, in my own flat, with my beloved cat Whiskey. A four-year relationship had ended badly and, although I wasn’t averse to meeting a man if he happened to fall into my lap, I was enjoying life on my own. I had lots of friends, a fun social life and a busy freelance career.

Vic was the funniest, happiest person I had ever met. His lust for life was mesmerising and contagious
Then, in September that year, I went to work in Amsterdam for a few weeks. One Sunday evening, I was sitting on a bench on Leidseplein, a busy square in the city centre, waiting for a friend, when a man sat down next to me.

‘Do you have the time?’ he asked.

‘Ten to seven,’ I replied, as there was a massive clock right in front of us. I glanced sideways – he looked like a vagrant. His clothes were dirty, his hair and beard dusty and, rather incongruously, he was holding a worn briefcase (I later found out that he kept his sweater, sleeping bag and beer in it). We started chatting and, to my surprise, he made me laugh several times. I couldn’t help but notice that, despite his appearance, he was handsome, tall and had the biggest brown eyes I had ever seen.

Ten minutes later my friend arrived. ‘I have to go,’ I said, a bit reluctantly. Before I could say anything further he stood up, pointed to the bench and said, ‘Saturday, three o’clock, same bench.’ Then he walked away. My friend and I stared at each other, unable to believe what had happened. Had a man who appeared to be destitute ordered me to come back on Saturday? How could he be so confident? It didn’t make any sense.

I found myself thinking about him a lot during the next week. On the one hand I was put off by his dishevelled appearance, but on the other there was something about him that was so intriguing that I wanted to meet him again. Finally Saturday arrived and with a thumping heart I sat on the same bench at three o’clock. And waited. And waited. And waited. After 20 minutes I was about to give up when he turned up. On a kid’s bike.

‘You’re late!’ I said crossly.

‘I didn’t think you would come. I came to check just in case. And you’re here!’ he said with a smile. I smiled back and my anger melted away – perhaps because he was better looking than I remembered.

We spent the next six hours together, walking around Amsterdam, having a picnic and getting to know each other. I found out that his name was Vic, that he was born in Poland but grew up in Canada, was 25 (the beard made him look much older) and that he was currently living in Vondelpark. After working as a tow-trucker and in other various low-income jobs in Canada, he decided to travel around Europe. When his money ran out he saw no other option than to live on the streets while hitchhiking from country to country. If the weather was good he slept under the stars and if it rained he found a bridge to sleep under. At that time he was living in a bush that had a cardboard floor and a tarpaulin roof.

During our time together I realised that Vic was simply the funniest, happiest and most optimistic person I had ever met. He had a lust for life that was both mesmerising and contagious. I had never met anyone like him before – someone who found everything a huge adventure.

Vic and I met three more times before I had to go back to Vienna. As my return approached I had to face it: I had fallen in love with him. I tried to fight my feelings as there were so many things wrong with him according to my world-view: he had no education, no career prospects, drank way too much (as well as using other substances), was five years younger than me and was living in a bush! There was no way we could be together. Despite this I gave him my mobile phone number – even though he didn’t have a phone. I am not sure that the Dutch postal service would have accepted letters addressed to ‘the good-looking guy living in the bush in Vondelpark, Amsterdam’, so I had no way of keeping in touch with him.

I returned to Vienna and wondered if I would ever see him again. Then, three weeks later, on a Monday morning as I was getting ready to go to work, my mobile phone rang. ‘I’m here,’ the voice said. It was Vic. Having earned enough money doing odd jobs he had bought a train ticket to Vienna…and we have been together ever since. Two years after we met, we married at the Belvedere Palace in Vienna in the presence of both our families, and two years after that our beautiful twins Til and Desta were born. Vic is now a mechanical engineer and we live in my old family house in Sweden. Not only have I ended up with the funniest and most wonderful husband, but the twins couldn’t have a better or more loving dad.

But the road to here wasn’t easy. Vic was a severe alcoholic when we met. Living on the streets had turned him to booze as a way of keeping warm and as a survival mechanism. I wanted him to stop drinking (he usually started the day with a can of beer), but at the same time I knew that giving him an ultimatum wouldn’t work. Thankfully Vic decided by himself that he needed to curb his drinking, and he did.

Vic and I both had our prejudices to overcome. In my family education is everything and I soon realised Vic’s family had the opposite view. Vic’s dad was a bricklayer, his was mum a cleaner, and no one in his family had gone to university. Vic was raised on the mantra that ‘real men don’t study’ and he spent most of his high-school years getting high and skipping classes. Coming from a family of book lovers, I nearly fainted when I found out that Vic had never read a book in his life. And yet I believed in him and could see how intelligent he was and what a waste it would be if he didn’t push himself. After a lot of convincing and encouragement he agreed to study mechanical engineering as he had always had an interest in machines.

I didn’t tell my parents the full extent of Vic’s background – they only found out when they read my new novel, How to Fall in Love With a Man Who Lives in a Bush, based on how we met – but it bothered them that he didn’t have an education. Before they met him my dad was also afraid that Vic was going to give me some terrible disease and my mum was worried that he was going to steal from me. But when they met they absolutely adored him. ‘He’s the first real man you’ve ever dated,’ my dad said. And once they saw what an amazing cook he is (his steaks are always a big hit) and how he helps them around the house, he soon became an indispensable part of our family.

But sadly not everyone feels the same about Vic. When I married him I lost two of my oldest friends as they refused to accept him. Vic tries to comfort me by saying it just shows how narrow-minded and shallow they are – and he is right – but there are moments when I miss them and feel miserable about their decision. I also feel angry that they never took the time to get to know him properly and judged him on his background.

The first six years of our relationship were very hard financially as Vic was studying full-time and I was the sole breadwinner. I was working as a writer and although my second book had been nominated for an award, I wasn’t earning a lot of money. Then the twins were born and our situation became even more strained. But we knew that we had to get through those rough years in order to make a better future for ourselves.

Some people see me as having ‘saved’ Vic, but I think it’s the other way around. He showed me that you don’t need much to be content and he makes me laugh every day. In the almost 12 years we have been together I have become calmer, more easygoing and have a better sense of humour. And that is all down to him.

He has also taught me valuable skills, such as how to break into a car (in case I locked myself out!), and opened my eyes to the lives of homeless people – a world I had always chosen to ignore and one most of us want to forget about. They’re people who make us feel uncomfortable, and we try to get away from them as fast as possible.

I used to have so many preconceptions about homeless people, chiefly that they somehow deserved where they had ended up. Now I know that becoming homeless is a fate that could befall any one of us; Shelter estimates that there are more than 300,000 people who are homeless in the UK. I have also learnt that homelessness can sometimes be a lifestyle that people choose – as in Vic’s case – to get away from a less than satisfactory existence. Vic said he would rather live on the streets of Europe than have a ‘crappy job’ (his words) in Canada. The world Vic has described to me couldn’t be further from my own safe, middle-class one: the everyday struggle to find food, the rampant drug and alcohol abuse, but also the camaraderie and friendship.

We have been on an amazing journey together, and still are. Vic is a doting father and husband, working in a job he never dreamt of. I write full-time and have lots of exciting projects on the go, including a feature film, and will soon be publishing my seventh book. But we feel truly blessed and never take anything for granted.

Vic once told me that I was the first person who believed in him. And that’s all it takes. Just saying ‘I believe in you’ can change someone’s world. Sometimes even just making eye contact, smiling and saying ‘hi’ to someone you wouldn’t usually talk to can change their life. Or yours. You might even end up meeting your Prince Charming.

How to Fall in Love With a Man Who Lives in a Bush is published by The Borough Press, price £8.99. To order a copy for £7.19 (a 20 per cent discount) until 25 February, visit you-bookshop.co.uk or call 0844 571 0640; p&p is free on orders over £15

[/b]

5 Likes

Re: "I Never Believed I Would Marry An Illiterate" - Abuja Based Lady Reveals. Photo by iamclime(m): 10:15pm On Feb 20, 2018
jashar:
What does illiterate mean? Having no formal education or no education at all? Does informal education count?

Why is she still referring to her husband as an illiterate sef?

What's my own?
Same questions running on my mind. It's very hard to see someone who is totally illiterate. Not being able to read or write English does not make one completely illiterate, it only means one is illiterate in ENGLISH. The person may be able to speak, read and write OTHER languages! The same way Nigerians say mechanics, bricklayers, etc are not EDUCATED. And I ask, is formal education the only type of EDUCATION?

1 Like

Re: "I Never Believed I Would Marry An Illiterate" - Abuja Based Lady Reveals. Photo by LyfeJennings(m): 10:17pm On Feb 20, 2018
Bobosneh:
If Say Na Me I No Go Chop Again, Chai It Pain Me For Her O

As innnnnn
Re: "I Never Believed I Would Marry An Illiterate" - Abuja Based Lady Reveals. Photo by mboma(m): 10:18pm On Feb 20, 2018
bloody liar.. this article was stolen from an international news agency. same was edited to suit nigeria. copied word for word! #bad

2 Likes 1 Share

Re: "I Never Believed I Would Marry An Illiterate" - Abuja Based Lady Reveals. Photo by Nobody: 10:35pm On Feb 20, 2018
AntiBrutus:

Sometimes it's a mood thing o. There are days one isn't in the mood for such covos. I hope that's not the day Mr Right chooses to come around cheesy.
I get you , but one's character will always shine through.

People can always tell the difference btw a humble lady having a bad day from a rude egotisc lady.

An egotisc lady will be rude with words and will have a snobbish attitude, while a humble lady having a bad might be rude with words but will still be tolerant

I still maintain that you quite different though, you were one of my first few female friends on nairaland.

You didn't act all rude and snobbish then, even though you were quite popular.

1 Like 1 Share

Re: "I Never Believed I Would Marry An Illiterate" - Abuja Based Lady Reveals. Photo by Yankee101: 10:40pm On Feb 20, 2018
Alfa Jazz or big stick perhaps
Re: "I Never Believed I Would Marry An Illiterate" - Abuja Based Lady Reveals. Photo by Anijay1212(m): 10:40pm On Feb 20, 2018
Annibel:
3years ago?? OLD story na ...she already have 3kids self... Abi two...

Are we joking here? let's be serious please....
Hello dear, was passing by saw you and decided to say hi.
How do you do. smiley
Re: "I Never Believed I Would Marry An Illiterate" - Abuja Based Lady Reveals. Photo by Mariangeles(f): 10:41pm On Feb 20, 2018
nonut:
Her constant use of illiterate to describe the man she supposedly loves, is annoying.
Why not simply say he had no formal education?
Some people are just not good with words...

(1) (2) (3) (4) (Reply)

Nigerians, We’ve Got A Sexuality Problem / / What's The Biggest Gift Your Abroad Relative Has Ever Given To You?

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 77
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.