Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,153,043 members, 7,818,124 topics. Date: Sunday, 05 May 2024 at 08:30 AM

Losing Your Mobile Phone To These SIM Card Hackers Can Render Your Savings Empty - Crime (2) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Crime / Losing Your Mobile Phone To These SIM Card Hackers Can Render Your Savings Empty (26771 Views)

Man Beat Daughter To Death For Using His Phone To Call Boyfriend (Photo) / How Hackers Can Access Your Money If You Answer Their Calls / Solomon Oboh Commits Suicide, Wills Mobile Phone To Girlfriend (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Losing Your Mobile Phone To These SIM Card Hackers Can Render Your Savings Empty by Einl(m): 3:59pm On Feb 21, 2018
Cromcruach91:

Yes, I am aware of the mess of 1966-70..ESPECIALLY asaba 1967....but I am focusing on 1975/76.

I don't doubt your historical knowledge. I just don't like him. He was a criminal.

1 Like

Re: Losing Your Mobile Phone To These SIM Card Hackers Can Render Your Savings Empty by CYBERWEAVER(m): 3:59pm On Feb 21, 2018
chaaiiiiiiiiii. i love dis boys........ i lik to be like dem if i grow up
Re: Losing Your Mobile Phone To These SIM Card Hackers Can Render Your Savings Empty by Nobody: 4:08pm On Feb 21, 2018
People should start using sim card PIN to secure their sim.
Re: Losing Your Mobile Phone To These SIM Card Hackers Can Render Your Savings Empty by MGeey(f): 4:08pm On Feb 21, 2018
francis247:
A lot people don't know this or do but take it lightly. YOUR SIM CARD NEEDS TO BE SECURED AS MUCH AS YOUR PHONE. DON'T JOKE WITH THE SIM CARD NUMBER ASSOCIATED WITH YOUR BANK ACCOUNT. ALWAYS USE YOUR PUK. Your network provider did not make it available for decoration. In case of theft, call CC ASAP nd block your SIM immediately. Scammers just dey too much and too determined for this Buhari government.

How do i use the PUK please?
Re: Losing Your Mobile Phone To These SIM Card Hackers Can Render Your Savings Empty by sexdoll: 4:10pm On Feb 21, 2018
What kind of childish reporting is this?

I was expecting to read the methodologies used by the thieves only to be assaulted with non related tales of how the police is packing the heat for yahoo boys.

2 Likes

Re: Losing Your Mobile Phone To These SIM Card Hackers Can Render Your Savings Empty by francis247(m): 4:16pm On Feb 21, 2018
koladebrainiac:
hello

they stole my colleague phone along Mushin Oshodi Agege motor road a few weeks back n wiped all the money in her account. Funny thing was that this colleague of mine did not subscribe to internet, mobile transfer, she does not even activate her ATM.BUT WITHING 24 HOURS THE PHONE WAS STOLEN,85k has been withdrawn.bank couldn't explain it
It depends on her bank. Some banks don't require any special procedure for activation of mobile banking. Anyone that has access to the SIM card phone number linked to the account and perhaps BVN automatically has remote access to the funds in the bank account. USSD Mobile banking does not require internet connection or ATM

4 Likes

Re: Losing Your Mobile Phone To These SIM Card Hackers Can Render Your Savings Empty by Nobody: 4:16pm On Feb 21, 2018
fear these yahoo boys, they change their flashy rides like slippers hmm them plenty for olx
Re: Losing Your Mobile Phone To These SIM Card Hackers Can Render Your Savings Empty by francis247(m): 4:17pm On Feb 21, 2018
sexdoll:
What kind of childish reporting is this?

I was expecting to read the methodologies used by the thieves only to be assaulted with non related tales of how the police is packing the heat for yahoo boys.

Me too. So disappointed �
Re: Losing Your Mobile Phone To These SIM Card Hackers Can Render Your Savings Empty by wonlasewonimi: 4:19pm On Feb 21, 2018
francis247:
It depends on her bank. Some banks don't require any special procedure for activation of mobile banking. Anyone that has access to the SIM card phone number linked to the account and perhaps BVN automatically has remote access to the funds in the bank account. USSD Mobile banking does not require internet connection or ATM
How can mobile banking not require Internet connection? Do you connect to it in the spirit realm?
Re: Losing Your Mobile Phone To These SIM Card Hackers Can Render Your Savings Empty by don4real18(m): 4:24pm On Feb 21, 2018
koladebrainiac:
hello

they stole my colleague phone along Mushin Oshodi Agege motor road a few weeks back n wiped all the money in her account. Funny thing was that this colleague of mine did not subscribe to internet, mobile transfer, she does not even activate her ATM.BUT WITHING 24 HOURS THE PHONE WAS STOLEN,85k has been withdrawn.bank couldn't explain it
They always have an insider.... Bankers and accountants work with them
Re: Losing Your Mobile Phone To These SIM Card Hackers Can Render Your Savings Empty by Rickyzagy: 4:27pm On Feb 21, 2018
If it's possible to council transfer from sim card using bvn then this issue won't be existing
Re: Losing Your Mobile Phone To These SIM Card Hackers Can Render Your Savings Empty by don4real18(m): 4:27pm On Feb 21, 2018
wonlasewonimi:

How can mobile banking not require Internet connection? Do you connect to it in the spirit realm?
Don't you know what USSD is?
Re: Losing Your Mobile Phone To These SIM Card Hackers Can Render Your Savings Empty by Rickyzagy: 4:32pm On Feb 21, 2018
My sister was a victim of this kind attack. She went to the bank and was told the bank the account and the name of the thief. The bank then told her to go get police report. When she get to police station and told them everything that happened. The police man in charge said she should forget about the money since its only 100.000 that the money involve is not enough for them to carry out the investigation
Re: Losing Your Mobile Phone To These SIM Card Hackers Can Render Your Savings Empty by wonlasewonimi: 4:33pm On Feb 21, 2018
don4real18:

Don't you know what USSD is?

No I don't know please enlighten me. How do you check your USSD account online without Internet connection?
Re: Losing Your Mobile Phone To These SIM Card Hackers Can Render Your Savings Empty by Rickyzagy: 4:33pm On Feb 21, 2018
don4real18:

They always have an insider.... Bankers and accountants work with them
ur bvn is the reason. It can be only done on the sim u use to open ur account
Re: Losing Your Mobile Phone To These SIM Card Hackers Can Render Your Savings Empty by smakcad(m): 4:40pm On Feb 21, 2018
May God save us
Re: Losing Your Mobile Phone To These SIM Card Hackers Can Render Your Savings Empty by Nobody: 4:44pm On Feb 21, 2018
wonlasewonimi:
Bank / card security in Nigeria is a disaster waiting to happen

please explain,i get some kind money for bank.
Re: Losing Your Mobile Phone To These SIM Card Hackers Can Render Your Savings Empty by nextstep(m): 4:44pm On Feb 21, 2018
wonlasewonimi:

No I don't know please enlighten me. How do you check your USSD account online without Internet connection?

USSD is a quick code (similar to, but not the same as SMS). USSD is that *555*N# *737*N# code that we type to recharge our airtime or transfer money. You don't need an Internet connection for these. If you've setup to do transfers with your phone number, then it's trivial for somebody to do the same if they are in possession of your sim. They don't even need your account number to do that.

The one that scares me is how they can do set things up even if you haven't done transfers. Unfortunately, since banks think phones are secure and send SMS confirmation alerts, a thief can do short codes from it, check for account details, authenticate and sign up for transfers. And in addition, some banks even allow use of a 737 code to create a PIN (which defeats the purpose of 2-factor authentication)

I'm not sure why they'd need an insider working at the bank, since an insider already has all the information they need to steal money without stealing the phone.

Unfortunately, the only things one can advice is:
- put most of your money in an account that is not linked to your phone, then transfer to your current account
- call your bank immediately when your phone is stolen (this is silly advice for obvious reasons, but also banks are really slow to react)

1 Like

Re: Losing Your Mobile Phone To These SIM Card Hackers Can Render Your Savings Empty by Liberator007(m): 4:44pm On Feb 21, 2018
These are the faces of the so called big boys.
Re: Losing Your Mobile Phone To These SIM Card Hackers Can Render Your Savings Empty by nowornever2016: 4:44pm On Feb 21, 2018
if you never use your sim card on ussd, that's good to be that oo, they will register as if is that get the account that all, no bvn.
Re: Losing Your Mobile Phone To These SIM Card Hackers Can Render Your Savings Empty by don4real18(m): 4:45pm On Feb 21, 2018
wonlasewonimi:

Banks have USSD codes which a customer can use to perform various transactions as long as they use the number registered to the bank. eg 737 by GTB
Re: Losing Your Mobile Phone To These SIM Card Hackers Can Render Your Savings Empty by IdeyFindWife: 4:45pm On Feb 21, 2018
NOC1:
none of them appeared remorseful. some standing and smiling like VIP

No be today!

Most times, first arrest for these boys na fact-finding and connection-making trip, once they're ready to play ball and didn'th it any high-profile target that IG etc may have interest in.

The rest na to walk out after small time and paying up.

After that, na the same police go dey shield them and give them tip-off and signals on how to dey waka on share/share levels.

E pay hungry-man police pass to dey rent gun to bag snatchers and robbers who bring in peanuts, not be so?

1 Like

Re: Losing Your Mobile Phone To These SIM Card Hackers Can Render Your Savings Empty by Nobody: 4:47pm On Feb 21, 2018
wonlasewonimi:

Dont argue blindly just ask questions.
Re: Losing Your Mobile Phone To These SIM Card Hackers Can Render Your Savings Empty by wonlasewonimi: 4:48pm On Feb 21, 2018
nextstep:

USSD is a quick code (similar to, but not the same as SMS). USSD is that *555*N# *737*N# code that we type to recharge our airtime or transfer money. If you've setup to do transfers with your phone number, then it's trivial for somebody to do the same if they are in possession of your sim. They don't even need your account number to do that.

The one that scares me is how they can do set things up even if you haven't done transfers. Unfortunately, since banks think phones are secure and send SMS confirmation alerts, a thief can do short codes from it, check for account details, authenticate and sign up for transfers.

I'm not sure why they'd need an insider working at the bank, since an insider already has all the information they need to steal money without stealing the phone.

Thanks for the information.

If proficient hackers face Nigeria peren.... Na gobe o
Re: Losing Your Mobile Phone To These SIM Card Hackers Can Render Your Savings Empty by nextstep(m): 4:53pm On Feb 21, 2018
IdeyFindWife:

No be today!

Most times, first arrest for these boys na fact-finding and connection-making trip, once they're ready to play ball and didn'th it any high-profile target that IG etc may have interest in.

The rest na to walk out after small time and paying up.

After that, na the same police go dey shield them and give them tip-off and signals on how to dey waka on share/share levels.

E pay hungry-man police pass to dey rent gun to bag snatchers and robbers who bring in peanuts, not be so?

You sabi the koko wella. Unfortunately, our police are bigger parasites than these hackers.

1 Like

Re: Losing Your Mobile Phone To These SIM Card Hackers Can Render Your Savings Empty by Galantis: 5:30pm On Feb 21, 2018
Only if Nigeria has a hacking squad.
Re: Losing Your Mobile Phone To These SIM Card Hackers Can Render Your Savings Empty by Eazi1(m): 5:35pm On Feb 21, 2018
Plz o my ppl n nairaland ayam confused,,,,i ned a fone....though ayam a tecno fan....bt i tnk of buying l8 lite or galaxy j5 2015 .....i dnt wnt fustratson 4rm tecno again 4rm my bd experience wit w3
Re: Losing Your Mobile Phone To These SIM Card Hackers Can Render Your Savings Empty by hillsway(m): 5:56pm On Feb 21, 2018
Represent Nigeria the best way.
Re: Losing Your Mobile Phone To These SIM Card Hackers Can Render Your Savings Empty by breezeng: 7:49pm On Feb 21, 2018
The best thing is to create an account either internet or sms and create a pin / password. If not, and they get hold of your sim, it makes it easy for them to create one for you, since they have d sim with them. It happened to me . Thank God , I was able to trace d culprit through my account officer in d bank who gave me d details of the beneficiary of d illegal transfer in confidence. Use atm, sms and secure it . All d best
Re: Losing Your Mobile Phone To These SIM Card Hackers Can Render Your Savings Empty by fotadmowmend(m): 8:00pm On Feb 21, 2018
It's a very good idea to protect ones Sim with pin code

(1) (2) (3) (Reply)

Notorious Kidnapper, Pilot, Escapes From Police Custody In Ebonyi State / Gunmen Kidnap Students Of Greenfield University In Kaduna / Lagos Police Rescue Man Humiliated By SARS Officials On Illegal Duty

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 48
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.