Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,155,521 members, 7,826,956 topics. Date: Tuesday, 14 May 2024 at 12:48 AM

Getting Rid Of Male Friends: - Romance - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Romance / Getting Rid Of Male Friends: (3245 Views)

You Can Have Male Friends Without Sleeping With Them! / How Saudi Arabian Ladies Dress To Visit Their Male Friends On Valentine(pix) / Why Do Ladies Ignore Their Male Friends On Social Networks? (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

Getting Rid Of Male Friends: by AntKenny: 6:58pm On Apr 24, 2010
I have been dating this guy for a year and a half now and I think this has a future.

I have alot of male close friends that I've have know for over 15yrs, now my boyfriend is insisting that I cut them off purely because the are male. Is that a good enough reason??

Its not fair, who do i choose? What if I cut my friends off, and tomorrow the guy breaks up with me,

Why do guys have to behave like this?

www.antslittlethoughts..com
Re: Getting Rid Of Male Friends: by InesQor(m): 7:02pm On Apr 24, 2010
For your own good, don't cut them off.

Rather, make it obvious to your guy that he's much more valuable to you, and keep everything transparent.

After all, 15-year-Long-term friends can be a threat to your relationship, too; as well as they can be very reliable guides into the male psyche.
Re: Getting Rid Of Male Friends: by Nobody: 7:20pm On Apr 24, 2010
u guys need to sitdown and talk
let ur b/f know these male friends of yours
and also let ur male friends know the status of ur relationship
with ur present prospective husB, atleast that will gve d guy a sense of
security and trust, i think myself am like that smiley
Re: Getting Rid Of Male Friends: by Nobody: 7:56pm On Apr 24, 2010
have a 3some with your boyfriends and the male friends,that way everyone is a winner

and you would have succeeded in proving that women liberation is alive and working for nigerian females in the UK
Re: Getting Rid Of Male Friends: by Nobody: 12:26am On Apr 25, 2010
^^
lol. Nice response. Dem no dey hear word.

@ Post.

The concept of 'male friends' has always been very funny and rightly so (especially when you have a serious bf or husband). It's like saying that a goat can be friends with a yam, or a monkey with a banana. The one would ravenously devour the other at the first opportunity - whether it takes ten minutes or ten years is irrelevant, it is only waiting to happen.

The truth is that ALL so-called male friends (me inclusive) would slam-dunk their jimmies into the girl's honeypot at the slightest opportunity, forget all the 'just friends, just friend' bull.s**t. Besides there is no doubt that you may reveal stuff about your man or your relationship issues to the so-called close male friends; believe me they may take advantage of that info and slyly hint that you deserve more - all in the attempt to seduce you in the most subtle way. Before you know it you'd gradually 'notice' that your friend is more generous, more attentive/caring, and has a bigger 'bulge' than your boyfriend who has "been annoying of late". Next thing one thing leads to another and your hapless boyfriend is cuckolded. In any case, what would a girl be discussing about with a 'male friend' behind closed doors sef? About Mutallab? Or the earthquake in Haiti? Don't make me laugh abeg.

Whatever happened to friends of your own gender? It's funny when I see some deluded boyfriends acting 'secure' about the fact that their babes keep 'close' male friends. I've been in the latter category a few times and I did the silly boyfriends no favours at all (if you catch the drift).

Any girl who wants to quit singlehood must put its ways behind and tell herself the common-sensical truth. Fooling around with 'male friends' (like me) would most definitely cause your boyfriend/husband grief. . .that is if he ever finds out the real deal. And when he boots you out I definitely won't replace him in your life (I like the milk free, thanks. Why maintain the whole cow?).
Re: Getting Rid Of Male Friends: by Nobody: 8:14am On Apr 25, 2010
@poster, am yet to 4get wat my grandmum
once told me wen i brought a girl home
and introduced her as my friend,
she said "my pikin boy and girl no dey b friends", and she frowned grin
hope u catch the drift! any tin can happen, body chemistry no
dey lie grin
Re: Getting Rid Of Male Friends: by Nobody: 8:53am On Apr 25, 2010
@poster u beta define wat u like and tel urself d truth.as 4 me such thing as male or female frnd no make sense for ma side.a lady ones told me she feels sexy each time she sights ma lips and yet we just frnds
Re: Getting Rid Of Male Friends: by Jaideyone(m): 10:14am On Apr 25, 2010
i c nothing wrong in keeping male friends especially those ones that you've known for 15yrs. he can't just expect you to stop being friends with them. just talk to him. make him understand that u love him and that you'll remain faithful to him. if he's a reasonable guy he'll listen to u. i'm sure he has female friends too.
Re: Getting Rid Of Male Friends: by emorse(m): 11:00am On Apr 25, 2010
I totally agree with jaidey. The OP said she's had her male friends for about 15 years. Her fiance is only feeling insecure which is quite normal. She only needs to reassure him and all will be well (if he's reasonable enough to understand).
Re: Getting Rid Of Male Friends: by agitator: 11:42am On Apr 25, 2010
emorse:

I totally agree with jaidey. The OP said she's had her male friends for about 15 years. Her fiance is only feeling insecure which is quite normal. She only needs to reassure him and all will be well (if he's reasonable enough to understand).

pro01:

^^

@ Post.

The concept of 'male friends' has always been very funny and rightly so (especially when you have a serious bf or husband). It's like saying that a goat can be friends with a yam, or a monkey with a banana. The one would ravenously devour the other at the first opportunity - whether it takes ten minutes or ten years is irrelevant, it is only waiting to happen.

The truth is that ALL so-called male friends (me inclusive) would slam-dunk their jimmies into the girl's honeypot at the slightest opportunity, forget all the 'just friends, just friend' bull.s**t. Besides there is no doubt that you may reveal stuff about your man or your relationship issues to the so-called close male friends; believe me they may take advantage of that info and slyly hint that you deserve more - all in the attempt to seduce you in the most subtle way. Before you know it you'd gradually 'notice' that your friend is more generous, more attentive/caring, and has a bigger 'bulge' than your boyfriend who has "been annoying of late". Next thing one thing leads to another and your hapless boyfriend is cuckolded. In any case, what would a girl be discussing about with a 'male friend' behind closed doors sef? About Mutallab? Or the earthquake in Haiti? Don't make me laugh abeg.

Whatever happened to friends of your own gender? It's funny when I see some deluded boyfriends acting 'secure' about the fact that their babes keep 'close' male friends. I've been in the latter category a few times and I did the silly boyfriends no favours at all (if you catch the drift).

Any girl who wants to quit singlehood must put its ways behind and tell herself the common-sensical truth. Fooling around with 'male friends' (like me) would most definitely cause your boyfriend/husband grief. . .that is if he ever finds out the real deal. And when he boots you out I definitely won't replace him in your life (I like the milk free, thanks. Why maintain the whole cow?).
Re: Getting Rid Of Male Friends: by AntKenny: 1:46pm On Apr 25, 2010
I understand where all of you are coming from especially @pro01.

Im not trying to be unreasonable or stubborn.

, my boyfriend is naturally possessive and I dont mind that because as far as im concerned no guy could compete with him.

But I think he is really feeling insecure, for no good reason. Most of my male friends are either engaged or in long lasting relationships.

I going to talk to him and see how that goes.
Re: Getting Rid Of Male Friends: by agitator: 8:04am On Apr 26, 2010
AntKenny:

, my boyfriend is naturally possessive and I dont mind that because as far as im concerned no guy could compete with him.

But I think he is really feeling insecure, for no good reason. Most of my male friends are either engaged or in long lasting relationships.

pro01:

Re: Getting Rid Of Male Friends: by iice(f): 5:18am On Jun 01, 2010
bleh if he wants that, he's not sure of you or himself cheesy

Nothing he says will make me lose my male friends jare. He has to manage grin
He should be more worried about Johnny and Eric grin
Re: Getting Rid Of Male Friends: by Dondav(m): 8:20am On Jun 01, 2010
AntKenny:

I have been dating this guy for a year and a half now and I think this has a future.

I have alot of male close friends that I've have know for over 15yrs, now my boyfriend is insisting that I cut them off purely because the are male. Is that a good enough reason??

Its not fair, who do i choose? What if I cut my friends off, and tomorrow the guy breaks up with me,

Why do guys have to behave like this?

www.antslittlethoughts..com
Na u sabi!
Re: Getting Rid Of Male Friends: by sexdoctor(m): 10:29am On Jun 01, 2010
i love this topic more than my fiancee. lipsrsealed
hmmm i no mean am oh

any way, the truth of the matter is if u see a male or female who is ready for something serious you guys have too sit and talk.

@@@ lice
bleh if he wants that, he's not sure of you or himself Cheesy

Nothing he says will make me lose my male friends jare. He has to manage Grin
He should be more worried about Johnny and Eric
what if you are on the opp side of the game,

most ladies tend not to jealous but they her once that get their heart pierce the most

love to know my lady friends and lay down my principle. period
Re: Getting Rid Of Male Friends: by Nobody: 10:47am On Jun 01, 2010
@poster
its called INSECURITY and lack of TRUST!
Pro01 is right to say that if any man was given the chance, they would smash it BUT the catch is to trust that your gal is strong enough/dedicated enough and she respects herself.
if the guy think thats she isnt, then he should probably NOT date that gal and go look for that gal with absolutely no male friend(good luck), or the donkey that will accept such demands.

i will also say that telling a gal to loose all her male friends is in no way going to make that woman cheat-proof. it will only make the insecure bf feel better but we all know that if a woman WANTS to cheat, she can do it with just about anyone and therefore the posters bf should tie her to the bed post before going to work so that she has no contact with ANY man (watch out for the gardener, driver,gate man etc)!

poster is this how you see your "future"?!
Re: Getting Rid Of Male Friends: by iice(f): 2:50pm On Jun 01, 2010
sexdoctor:

@@@ lice
what if you are on the opp side of the game,

most ladies tend not to jealous but they her once that get their heart pierce the most

love to know my lady friends and lay down my principle. period

Seriously. . .its iice. . .you know i i c e undecided And here i thought i was losing my sight to old age undecided

Your question doesn't make sense undecided But i'll give it a shot

They hurt the most once they get their heart pierced? Erhhh i thought that was a human thing to do.  Or are women an alien specie we weren't taught about in school?

As for being on the opposite end. . .lol it's no biggie coz he does have a lot of female friends.  I give him props for being able to put up with half of them. Nonsensical issues and all that cheesy
Re: Getting Rid Of Male Friends: by sexdoctor(m): 3:16pm On Jun 01, 2010
^^^
one of them sorry oooo shocked shocked
Re: Getting Rid Of Male Friends: by yme1(f): 4:02pm On Jun 01, 2010
any guy that tells me that should be ready to hit his head on a brick wall undecided
Re: Getting Rid Of Male Friends: by Nobody: 4:05pm On Jun 01, 2010
Do what he wants! You have nothing to lose. Guys are a bunch of nicompoos afterall . . tongue
Re: Getting Rid Of Male Friends: by InesQor(m): 5:17am On Jun 05, 2010
InesQor:

For your own good, don't cut them off.

Rather, make it obvious to your guy that he's much more valuable to you, and keep everything transparent.

After all, 15-year-Long-term friends can be a threat to your relationship, too; as well as they can be very reliable guides into the male psyche.

May I retract my former post above and agree with MRBrownJAY's post below? Thanks.

MRbrownJAY:

@poster
its called INSECURITY and lack of TRUST!
Pro01 is right to say that if any man was given the chance, they would smash it BUT the catch is to trust that your gal is strong enough/dedicated enough and she respects herself.
if the guy think thats she isnt, then he should probably NOT date that gal and go look for that gal with absolutely no male friend(good luck), or the donkey that will accept such demands.

i will also say that telling a gal to loose all her male friends is in no way going to make that woman cheat-proof. it will only make the insecure bf feel better but we all know that if a woman WANTS to cheat, she can do it with just about anyone and therefore the posters bf should tie her to the bed post before going to work so that she has no contact with ANY man (watch out for the gardener, driver,gate man etc)!

poster is this how you see your "future"?!
Re: Getting Rid Of Male Friends: by Madukaele(m): 6:52am On Jun 05, 2010
how will u feel if ur boy friends keeps his female friends for 15yrs, undecided undecided undecided undecided undecided
Re: Getting Rid Of Male Friends: by Nenum(m): 8:14am On Jun 05, 2010
well i feel for equality, the poster should keep her male friends while her boyfriends also keeps his female friends as many as they want, so that when they break up they could have something to fall back on.

The above statement says it all, it is an open relationship.

So i guess when the poster is ready for a serious relationship, then she would do well to have learnt that her best friend in a serious relationship should be her boyfriend, she would do well to employ her 15 years friendship skills into her relationship with her boyfriend.

I guess the Poster is still in experience with the world of relationship as it relates to men and women.

the below post have got to be d real deal. thumb up Pro01

pro01:

^^

@ Post.

Re: Getting Rid Of Male Friends: by Faher(m): 8:18am On Jun 05, 2010
For me, it depends on my gf's relationship with the male friends
I probably won't like to hear her talk about them or spend time with them when she's supposed to be with me
Re: Getting Rid Of Male Friends: by Bnimz(m): 8:56am On Jun 05, 2010
Re: Getting Rid Of Male Friends: by agathamari(f): 3:53am On Jun 06, 2010
involve you guy with your friends. make sure there is no feelings for your friends or vice/versa. keep everything plotonic and open. your bf should be friends with your guy friends, or at least be in a situation where he could be friends with them
Re: Getting Rid Of Male Friends: by 4llerbuntu(m): 8:48am On Jun 06, 2010
responses typical at best.

i only wonder if the roles are reversed and the guy is the one with many long term, very close female friends, the girl will be comfortable with the arrangement!!!

insecurity, paranoia well yes, to some extent. but am yet to meet a girl who did not have issues with my female friend(s), the ones im close to, and actually take out etc etc. (we are really just friends)

funny beings women, everything from your perspective is normal, reverse the roles and the situation changes.

@ poster, while i really dont give a flying fck who you see and if your screwing them when we date, if it so occurs to my mind that these "pals" should buzz off, you either shake them off or you shake me off.

nice point about the guy may go and pals staying, but if you were truthful too, the friend are'nt marrying you i am.
so husband or long term friends, choose!

besides, these long term friends dont have relationships of their own? and their girls dont have a problem with your arrangee with their boyfriends? or these "close" relationship exists only to your knowledge?
Re: Getting Rid Of Male Friends: by 4llerbuntu(m): 9:08am On Jun 06, 2010
then again @ poster, do a small quick test, ask these your male friends if their girlfriends keep plenty male friends too!!!

or better, what their opinions is about their girls having many close male friends.

@ mrbrownjay, well yes i cant tie her to the post, but i hope with this your very secure parol, your eyes are open.
e.g i know a couple who are very ok and all that, once they had a family get together, they invited lots of pals, incl the wife's best male friend. the hubby knew the guy and never thot any ill about the relationship.

some mins into the party, FIVE different pple calls the guy into a corner and asks who the guy his wife was fraternising with so freely, he laughs it of.

1 hour later, THE WIFE'S MOTHER CALLS THE WIFE!!, into a corner and asks what she thinks she is doing and tells her off for relating with another man like that in front of her hubby and family

then the wife's mum calls husband into a corner and ticks him off for the scenario, he defends his wife staunchly with all the "trust and security" in the world. wifes cries and party breaks up

few months later, mischief maker starts rumour and stuff about an affair btw wife and friend, everyone, wife's parents especially go bonkers, guy STILL stand by wife, nerves stretch, marriage cracks etc etc.

they are still together now, but was it worth it? a mrried woman or someone in a relationship heading somewhere needs to know that some liasons are not ok for that status!!!!! you are free to have pals, but at what cost? all these talk of trust and security is pure bull!!!

id like to see how secure my wife is when she meets my friend who incidentally loves to sit on my legs, and hold me round the waist (almost got kiilled in uni over that girl and i never even stole a kiss) grin grin grin grin

by the way mr brown jay, u ALWAYS sound like a hypocrite, toeing the imaginary moral/enlightened ground

1 Like

Re: Getting Rid Of Male Friends: by Nobody: 4:15pm On Jun 06, 2010
^^^^^^nice story, the man stood by his wife and trusted her. something every man should do or simply divorce! a wife isnt a property she is a companion, your equal. if you feel that she is not acting/behaving the way you want to then divorce her and move on with your life. if you are the kind of man who thinks that getting rid of all your wife's future friend will secure fidelity in your marriage then you better wake up.

let anyone be themselves and judge them on THAT basis only, if she is a who*re then no matter how you try to change her, she will always be a who*re and will eventually turn back to who/what she truly is.
the fact that you wrote this silly story shows us how you think. typical Nigerian mentality to think about what others do/think instead of worrying/focussing on their own sh*it!

as for your comment on MY person, i dont give a damn what you think of me. what i write is what i think on the subject, how i live my life or what i would do if i was in such circumstances. if you think that there aint men like me out there just because YOU dont have the brain/balls/capacity to act this way then fair enough. . . . . . wont change my life one bit!

by the way,this is a forum, everyone give their opinion about subjects/affairs. i never asked you to do/believe what i write, i am just giving THE POSTER the opinion of an open minded person out there, ME!
Re: Getting Rid Of Male Friends: by boomii(f): 5:18pm On Jun 06, 2010
AntKenny:

So how did it go?
Re: Getting Rid Of Male Friends: by A40(m): 7:44pm On Jun 06, 2010
Woman you have to realize that no Man would be entirely happy with his wife or wife to be having so many emergency d!cks in a glass. The onus is on you to keep proving to him that they are friends and just friends

(1) (Reply)

Please Help Me Judge. Why Are Some Girls Like This? Girls! / Could He Be HIV+ Or He Just Doesnot Like The Relationship? Please Read. / Every Lady Has A Corresponding Maga.. Do you Believe?

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 79
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.