Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,154,757 members, 7,824,172 topics. Date: Saturday, 11 May 2024 at 02:41 AM

Is Responsive Web Design Finally Dying? - Webmasters - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Science/Technology / Webmasters / Is Responsive Web Design Finally Dying? (4790 Views)

The Power Of Responsive Web Design For Mobile Devices / What Is Responsive Web Design? / Which Blogger Free Theme Is Responsive And Very Ok... (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (Reply) (Go Down)

Is Responsive Web Design Finally Dying? by directonpc(m): 4:22am On Feb 23, 2018
Some time in 2015 I share a post here on how I feel responsive design is overrated as a solution to the trend of mobile first . Because about 60% of people that use the web today access it from a smartphone, and big players like Google recommend that website masters should take their mobile site seriously.

Then responsive CSS came with a quick fix that lets you build a website that will look good on about any device (PC or Mobile). Many loved this idea as it is quick and mostly rely on making a few adjustments to your CSS code. It is mainly based on the CSS @media query.

Fast-forward to 2018, Big players like Google are now backing other techs (Progressive WebApp - PWS, Accelerated Mobile Page - AMP). These techs only see responsive CSS as a step in the bigger process of building a mobile first WebApp. And both require one to rewrite a dedicated version of ones website/app putting mobile in mind.

In my conclusion, the new techs from Google might not support the philosophy of web designers that preach rendering same design with just a few CSS mod as a mobile version of their site. I preached the advantage of writing a specific code for mobile version in 2015 and got bashed wink is Google preaching the same gospel with their AMP now? If yes, We can agree that responsive design in some context is dying. Peace.

2 Likes 1 Share

Re: Is Responsive Web Design Finally Dying? by directonpc(m): 4:23am On Feb 23, 2018
Lets discus intelligently...
Do you think responsive design is dying too?
Re: Is Responsive Web Design Finally Dying? by Kingnap(m): 6:51am On Feb 23, 2018
ok
Re: Is Responsive Web Design Finally Dying? by Ekowise(m): 6:52am On Feb 23, 2018
I don't think so
Re: Is Responsive Web Design Finally Dying? by Desyner: 6:54am On Feb 23, 2018
Responsive design can't die easily. It is the main thing.

1 Like

Re: Is Responsive Web Design Finally Dying? by muhammed50(m): 6:54am On Feb 23, 2018
Re: Is Responsive Web Design Finally Dying? by maximunimpact(m): 6:58am On Feb 23, 2018
Not only responsive web designs, with the growing popularity of progressive web apps (PWAs), native web apps will witness extinction in the coming years.

1 Like

Re: Is Responsive Web Design Finally Dying? by lawrence35(m): 7:03am On Feb 23, 2018
Responsive web pages were made to help mobile devices view heavy pages in the 1st place, if u follow the trend of web design from 2008, u will discover alot has changed.

From all-picture web pages to swf wed pages to css and HTML 5.

Most mobile devices now use Androidor iOS, and it'sit'sa fact that mobile apps load faster than web pages, it only makes sense that relevance will be placed on apps.

And with the introduction of ionic the switch will be easier.

4 Likes

Re: Is Responsive Web Design Finally Dying? by ortakida: 7:08am On Feb 23, 2018
I see the issue differently.
Responsive design is merely a bridge. It simply links the experience of browsing on a PC to having it rendered more appropriately on the mobile devices.

Responsive design is now more of a principle though. And developers try to make sure the PWAs are also compatible and responsive across all platforms, at least to an extent...

If you say responsive design is no good, then it means we're going back to 2008, where you design a powerful PC version of a site, and design a separate mobile portal that may not have the full capabilities of the website. That would suck...

4 Likes

Re: Is Responsive Web Design Finally Dying? by herraph: 7:13am On Feb 23, 2018
Simplicity is the ultimate sophistication
Re: Is Responsive Web Design Finally Dying? by miketayo(m): 7:17am On Feb 23, 2018
I don't see d connection here.. Ur site can be responsive and still have amp, that's even d best Practice.. how does amp affect responsive websites, mobile apps on the other hand can extinct responsive sites.
Re: Is Responsive Web Design Finally Dying? by donsheddy1(m): 7:30am On Feb 23, 2018
muhammed50:
I think so coz many web design programming languages are build daily...
what's this one saying?
Re: Is Responsive Web Design Finally Dying? by naijanative: 7:41am On Feb 23, 2018
You made a point. However responsive design will still remain for a long time because of ease of deployment. Writing a separate code for mobile will remain for big players. Most important thing is your audience - so far they are satisfied
Re: Is Responsive Web Design Finally Dying? by royalamour(m): 7:58am On Feb 23, 2018
You made a valid point Sir. However, I don't think responsive web designs will go into extinction, rather most people will go in the way mobile application development and market.

Haba! Removing CSS from the codes is like removing salt from food.

It becomes useless.
Re: Is Responsive Web Design Finally Dying? by ekanDamie: 8:09am On Feb 23, 2018
Am not an IT person so i am here to read.
Op try and add BBN screenshots seems thats what dey need to make more sense
Re: Is Responsive Web Design Finally Dying? by Akinlekan(m): 8:12am On Feb 23, 2018
Responsive web design isn't dying, if it was flexbox wouldn't have come into play. Flexbox is an out of the box CSS grid system and used with media queries you get to build responsive web pages without any framework, infact google encourages this and moreso the PWAs need to be mobile friendly.
PWA came into play due to the fact that more users are on mobile, there is also a need to build apps that are tollerent to poor internet connection by leveraging the browser cache and moreso PWA gives a feel of native apps.
Re: Is Responsive Web Design Finally Dying? by emaxadey(m): 8:12am On Feb 23, 2018
Re: Is Responsive Web Design Finally Dying? by Limibanti(m): 8:19am On Feb 23, 2018
Responsive web design has come to stay. only websites that are sure of heavy traffics needs the mobile app badly but websites with little traffic does not really need a mobile app
Re: Is Responsive Web Design Finally Dying? by Capnd143(m): 8:21am On Feb 23, 2018
No way responsive design is going away anytime soon. It will be a nightmare for small gig freelancers to work two versions for both devices - that's like double work. If at all, mobile specific versions may be mostly adopted by big Web company.
Re: Is Responsive Web Design Finally Dying? by 1Nairaboy(m): 8:53am On Feb 23, 2018
Responsive design is never dying but remodified to make developer's work easier, google has developed a platform (AMP), and others, developers could use develop beautiful sites with better response time considering response time more.. I would say google researchers have looked into some of the best approach to better design handling CSS, HTML JavaScript etc leaving developers some stress
Re: Is Responsive Web Design Finally Dying? by dudebuck: 9:03am On Feb 23, 2018
I believe the OP does not know what responsive web design is

1 Like

Re: Is Responsive Web Design Finally Dying? by 1Nairaboy(m): 9:09am On Feb 23, 2018
AMP - Three core

Re: Is Responsive Web Design Finally Dying? by directonpc(m): 9:37am On Feb 23, 2018
dudebuck:
I believe the OP does not know what responsive web design is
I believe you don't know what AMP or PWA is.
Re: Is Responsive Web Design Finally Dying? by emonkey(m): 9:42am On Feb 23, 2018
Responsive web design (RWD) is an approach to web design which makes web pages render well on a variety of devices and window or screen sizes. ....A site designed with RWD adapts the layout to the viewing environment by using fluid, proportion-based grids, flexible images,and CSS3 media queries, an extension of the @media rule, in the following ways:
The fluid grid concept calls for page element sizing to be in relative units like percentages, rather than absolute units like pixels or points.
Flexible images are also sized in relative units, so as to prevent them from displaying outside their containing element.
Media queries allow the page to use different CSS style rules based on characteristics of the device the site is being displayed on, most commonly the width of the browser.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Responsive_web_design
Re: Is Responsive Web Design Finally Dying? by dogstyle007(m): 9:42am On Feb 23, 2018
Hmmmm following
Re: Is Responsive Web Design Finally Dying? by 4dor: 10:01am On Feb 23, 2018
I think the OP needs to study more, this is a case of comparing apple to oranges. Responsive design is about appearance with a bias for mobile devices while progressive web apps is about performance. In fact one of the key features of a PWA is that it must be responsive.

https://developers.google.com/web/fundamentals/codelabs/your-first-pwapp/

1 Like

Re: Is Responsive Web Design Finally Dying? by dudebuck: 10:45am On Feb 23, 2018
directonpc:
I believe you don't know what AMP or PWA is.
funny
Re: Is Responsive Web Design Finally Dying? by Ashibelieve: 10:50am On Feb 23, 2018
You spoke my mind. Technology is ever growing. All tech guys must be continously growing. If you are a good programmer andneed to work with a start-up tech company to build something amazing with long term in mind kindly send me a message.
ortakida:
I see the issue differently.
Responsive design is merely a bridge. It simply links the experience of browsing on a PC to having it rendered more appropriately on the mobile devices.

Responsive design is now more of a principle though. And developers try to make sure the PWAs are also compatible and responsive across all platforms, at least to an extent...

If you say responsive design is no good, then it means we're going back to 2008, where you design a powerful PC version of a site, and design a separate mobile portal that may not have the full capabilities of the website. That would suck...
Re: Is Responsive Web Design Finally Dying? by directonpc(m): 10:54am On Feb 23, 2018
4dor:
I think the OP needs to study more, this is a case of comparing apple to oranges. Responsive design is about appearance with a bias for mobile devices while progressive web apps is about performance. In fact one of the key features of a PWA is that it must be responsive.

https://developers.google.com/web/fundamentals/codelabs/your-first-pwapp/
Like I stated here:
These techs only see responsive CSS as a step in the bigger process of building a mobile first WebApp
In the future, responsive design alone will not be enough. You will need to write specific codes for mobile. That's what AMP is about. It even features its own custom HTML tags.

(1) (2) (Reply)

###Click To Get 100% 1yr Plan Free Domain And Hosting And Develop It Yourself. / thread closed / 8 Detailed Reasons Why Google Adsense Publishers Will Decrease Severely In Time

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 34
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.