Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,153,211 members, 7,818,715 topics. Date: Sunday, 05 May 2024 at 10:39 PM

74% Of Doctors Believe In Miracles, 55% Have Seen Them - Religion - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Religion / 74% Of Doctors Believe In Miracles, 55% Have Seen Them (1149 Views)

Do You Believe In Miracles? / Why Do Jehovah's Witnesses Not Believe In Miracles? / "I Have Seen My House In Heaven, I Can't Wait To Go" - Pastor Adeboye (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

74% Of Doctors Believe In Miracles, 55% Have Seen Them by OLAADEGBU(m): 4:10pm On Feb 23, 2018
74% Of Doctors Believe In Miracles, 55% Have Seen Them
By James Bishop - May 6, 2017

A national survey of 1100 physicians, conducted by HCD Research and the Louis Finkelstein Institute for Religious and Social Studies of The Jewish Theological Seminary in New York City, found that 74% of doctors believe that miracles have occurred in the past and 73% believe that they still occur today.

The poll also indicated that American physicians are surprisingly religious, with 72% indicating they believe that religion provides a reliable and necessary guide to life.

Dr. Alan Mittleman, Director of The Finkelstein Institute, says that: "The picture that emerges is one where doctors, although presumably more highly educated than their average patient, are not necessarily more secular or radically different in religious outlook than the public."

Perhaps the most surprising result of the survey is that a majority of doctors (55%) said that they have seen treatment results in their patients that they would consider miraculous (45% do not). Thus, of the 1100 physicians examined, 605 claimed to have witnessed a medical miracle. Most physicians pray for their patients as a group (51%). Even more, 59% pray for individual patients.

This reminds me of my personal doctor who is not particularly religious in any way. On one occasion she booked an elderly lady in for a back operation to rectify a dislodged spinal disc. A few days before the operation, in which my GP was operating as an assistant, the woman returned to her practice claiming that her back had healed after her family had prayed for her. Scans of her back confirmed this full recovery and the operation was cancelled. When I asked my GP what she thought of this she said that "some things are not scientifically explainable."

See full article

http://reasonsforjesus.com/74-of-doctors-believe-in-miracles-55-have-seen-them/

4 Likes 2 Shares

Re: 74% Of Doctors Believe In Miracles, 55% Have Seen Them by GoodMuyis(m): 7:14pm On Feb 23, 2018
Thank God for calvary

1 Like

Re: 74% Of Doctors Believe In Miracles, 55% Have Seen Them by OLAADEGBU(m): 1:36am On Feb 25, 2018
GoodMuyis:

Thank God for calvary

Halleluyah! cheesy
Re: 74% Of Doctors Believe In Miracles, 55% Have Seen Them by Nobody: 1:56am On Feb 25, 2018
A thread like this wouldn't make front page it is only controversial thread made by atheist and Muslims for Christian does, seun watch it something is wrong here

2 Likes 1 Share

Re: 74% Of Doctors Believe In Miracles, 55% Have Seen Them by Nobody: 5:13am On Feb 25, 2018
Nairaland scientists would not believe this. They would rather believe the voice in their head
Re: 74% Of Doctors Believe In Miracles, 55% Have Seen Them by Emereolevanwill(m): 6:21am On Feb 25, 2018
Miracles do happen, it's been confirmed through out the ages. I am a living witness.

2 Likes

Re: 74% Of Doctors Believe In Miracles, 55% Have Seen Them by 007author(m): 6:28am On Feb 25, 2018
Only fools believe in miracles

2 Likes

Re: 74% Of Doctors Believe In Miracles, 55% Have Seen Them by Desyner: 7:08am On Feb 25, 2018
Miracles are real but aren't entertainment oriented. That's why God don't respond to temptation.
Re: 74% Of Doctors Believe In Miracles, 55% Have Seen Them by Desyner: 7:09am On Feb 25, 2018
007author:
55% of doctors ?
Re: 74% Of Doctors Believe In Miracles, 55% Have Seen Them by butterflyl1on: 7:21am On Feb 25, 2018
007author:

Maybe the next time you are admitted in a hospital make sure you demand that no Doctor Who believes in miracles should be your doctor. Make sure an atheist doctor gets to be your doctor alright? And by the way, there is also a report and study on that so let me show you the findings below

Terminally-ill patients would be well advised to find out the religious beliefs of their doctor, according to research showing the effect of faith on a doctor's willingness to make decisions that could hasten death.

Doctors who are atheist or agnostic are twice as likely to take decisions that might shorten the life of somebody who is terminally ill as doctors who are deeply religious – and doctors with strong religious convictions are less likely even to discuss such decisions with the patient, according to Professor Clive Seale, from the centre for health sciences at Barts and the London school of medicine and dentistry.

"If I were a patient facing end of life care, I would want to know what my doctor's views were on religious matters – whether they are non-religious or religious and whether the doctor felt that would influence them in the kinds of decisions they were looking at," said Seale.
Re: 74% Of Doctors Believe In Miracles, 55% Have Seen Them by Nobody: 7:25am On Feb 25, 2018
I never believed in miracles till the day I became Miracle...
Re: 74% Of Doctors Believe In Miracles, 55% Have Seen Them by NPComplete: 7:32am On Feb 25, 2018
Lol. Stupid thread.

I would have taken the claims more seriously if u got it from a peer reviewed paper. Not some claim being promoted by a religious website that even clearly states that the research was conducted by a religious body. Talk about bias.

Secondly, even some irreligious people and atheists believe miracles are possible. They just don't believe it should be attributed to the Abrahamic god or any other god for that matter.

You guys have completely lost your sense of rationality.

3 Likes 2 Shares

Re: 74% Of Doctors Believe In Miracles, 55% Have Seen Them by dalaman: 7:36am On Feb 25, 2018
If miracles are true there won't be any need for doctors in the first place. In fact if Christianity is true, there won't be any need for doctors.

We know what the bible recommended when it comes to illness. It did not recommended a visit to doctors.

And the prayer offered in faith will make the sick person well; the Lord will raise them up. If they have sinned, they will be forgiven.
And the prayer offered in faith will make the sick person well; the Lord will raise them up. If they have sinned, they will be forgiven. James 5:14-15

Almost all christians do NOT heed to this injunction, in fact we have seen christians berating the few that show their true display of faith and belief when they adhere to these injunction by refusing to go to the hospital and chosing to believe the Bible and rely only on prayers because they know it is very foolish and will certainly fail.

The Drs always do their best for their patients and some of them at the end give credit to their imaginary God.

4 Likes 2 Shares

Re: 74% Of Doctors Believe In Miracles, 55% Have Seen Them by butterflyl1on: 7:41am On Feb 25, 2018
dalaman:
If miracles are true there won't be any need for doctors in the first place. In fact if Christianity is true, there won't be any need for doctors

False Dichotomy Fallacy.

If the whole world were Christian then your claim would be true. But since it isn't, then you are simply dropping a hot fallacy

Even in Bible days, miracles were not for everyone and were not everywhere (as it were). Even Jesus did not perform miracles everywhere as expressly depicted in scripture.

2 Likes 1 Share

Re: 74% Of Doctors Believe In Miracles, 55% Have Seen Them by butterflyl1on: 7:43am On Feb 25, 2018
NPComplete:
Lol. Stupid thread.

I would have taken the claims more seriously if u got it from a peer reviewed paper. Not some claim being promoted by a religious website that even clearly states that the research was conducted by a religious body. Talk about bias.

Secondly, even some irreligious people and atheists believe miracles are possible. They just don't believe it should be attributed to the Abrahamic god or any other god for that matter.

And these ones have found their rationality right?

Terminally-ill patients would be well advised to find out the religious beliefs of their doctor, according to research showing the effect of faith on a doctor's willingness to make decisions that could hasten death.

Doctors who are atheist or agnostic are twice as likely to take decisions that might shorten the life of somebody who is terminally ill as doctors who are deeply religious – and doctors with strong religious convictions are less likely even to discuss such decisions with the patient, according to Professor Clive Seale, from the centre for health sciences at Barts and the London school of medicine and dentistry.

"If I were a patient facing end of life care, I would want to know what my doctor's views were on religious matters – whether they are non-religious or religious and whether the doctor felt that would influence them in the kinds of decisions they were looking at," said Seale.

2 Likes 1 Share

Re: 74% Of Doctors Believe In Miracles, 55% Have Seen Them by NPComplete: 7:50am On Feb 25, 2018
butterflyl1on:

And these ones have found their rationality right?

Lol. Keep clowning around. The article you are quoting even says "terminally ill" patients. And it doesn't even mention that there was a miracle after. So that means they all died eventually. But leave it to butteflylion to bring up a completely irrelevant argument that had nothing to do with the quote he replied to.

2 Likes

Re: 74% Of Doctors Believe In Miracles, 55% Have Seen Them by butterflyl1on: 8:01am On Feb 25, 2018
NPComplete:

Lol. Keep clowning around. The article you are quoting even says "terminally ill" patients. And it doesn't even mention that there was a miracle after. So that means they all died eventually. But leave it to butteflylion to bring up a completely irrelevant argument that had nothing to do with the quote he replied to.

Yet the terminally ill do not deserve a miracle right? When medicine fails in the case of terminally ill patients what is the next line of focus, if not the miraculous?

You obviously don't think before you type which is why you felt what i posted had nothing to do with the OP.

Keep clowning.

And no the article never said "they all died" it simple inferred that the terminally ill deserve to also have their own choices for prolonging their lives even in their terminal state and not having somebody cut it short for them based on their atheistic or irreligious medical leaning.

2 Likes

Re: 74% Of Doctors Believe In Miracles, 55% Have Seen Them by hopefulLandlord: 8:03am On Feb 25, 2018
NPComplete:

The entire guardian article is a nonsensical representation of a well made study

You can read an analysis that exposes the dishonesty behind the guardian article here http://www.patheos.com/blogs/friendlyatheist/2010/08/26/dr-atheist-wants-to-kill-you-faster-says-guardian-article/

funny enough, the study can actually be spinned against religious doctors but the agenda behind the writer of the article made him/her spin it one way and ignore the other side

4 Likes

Re: 74% Of Doctors Believe In Miracles, 55% Have Seen Them by butterflyl1on: 8:17am On Feb 25, 2018
hopefulLandlord:

The entire guardian article is a nonsensical representation of a well made study

You can read an analysis that exposes the dishonesty behind the guardian article here http://www.patheos.com/blogs/friendlyatheist/2010/08/26/dr-atheist-wants-to-kill-you-faster-says-guardian-article/

funny enough, the study can actually be spinned against religious doctors but the agenda behind the writer of the article made him/her spin it one way and ignore the other side

cheesy grin

How ignorant you always are. Makes you easy pickings.

I suppose this medically published and peer reviewed article on the same thing is also biased.

https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC1376534/

And in case you wish to lie and twist. This is from the Abstract

Abstract
Attitudes towards active voluntary euthanasia (AVE) and physician-assisted suicide (PAS) among 1,238 doctors on the medical register of New South Wales varied significantly with self-identified religious affiliation. More doctors without formal religious affiliation ('non-theists') were sympathetic to AVE, and acknowledged that they had practised AVE, than were doctors who gave any religious affiliation ('theists').

What is Euthanasia?

euthanasia
noun
the painless killing of a patient suffering from an incurable and painful disease or in an irreversible coma.

It's obvious that what a lot of you do here is try to paint atheism in false glory when it only offers everything and anything bleak and hopeless. When an atheist sees no higher order or higher hand behind life he believes he cannot be held accountable for his actions by an authority beyond man so he can become judge and jury over any life and worse still when such an atheist is in the medical profession.

The medical article speaks volumes and you can try putting your usual merry twist to it grin

Fire away as hard as you can. cheesy

2 Likes

Re: 74% Of Doctors Believe In Miracles, 55% Have Seen Them by CAPSLOCKED: 1:41pm On Feb 25, 2018
NPComplete:
Lol. Stupid thread.

Re: 74% Of Doctors Believe In Miracles, 55% Have Seen Them by AlfaSeltzer(m): 1:44pm On Feb 25, 2018
Desyner:
55% of doctors ?

are foolish.
Re: 74% Of Doctors Believe In Miracles, 55% Have Seen Them by Emusan(m): 1:50pm On Feb 25, 2018
salvation101:
Nairaland scientists would not believe this. They would rather believe the voice in their head

You mean those Google scientists cheesy cheesy cheesy

2 Likes

Re: 74% Of Doctors Believe In Miracles, 55% Have Seen Them by dalaman: 2:42pm On Feb 25, 2018
butterflyl1on:

False Dichotomy Fallacy.

If the whole world were Christian then your claim would be true. But since it isn't, then you are simply dropping a hot fallacy

Even in Bible days, miracles were not for everyone and were not everywhere (as it were). Even Jesus did not perform miracles everywhere as expressly depicted in scripture.

What has the whole world being christian got to do with anything? Even Christians prefer going to the hospitals over relying on God alone and prayers for healing because they know that hospitals work while prayers and God doesn't. If miracles work christians will rely on it exclusively after all the bible recommended it and not hospitals.
Re: 74% Of Doctors Believe In Miracles, 55% Have Seen Them by Nobody: 5:54pm On Feb 25, 2018
profolaolu:
A thread like this wouldn't make front page it is only controversial thread made by atheist and Muslims for Christian does, seun watch it something is wrong here
What do you expect when the Satan has taken over

1 Like

Re: 74% Of Doctors Believe In Miracles, 55% Have Seen Them by OLAADEGBU(m): 1:31pm On Feb 27, 2018
profolaolu:

A thread like this is not politically correct to make it to 'front page.'
Re: 74% Of Doctors Believe In Miracles, 55% Have Seen Them by OLAADEGBU(m): 12:44pm On Mar 20, 2018
salvation101:

They are not true scientists, they are atheist evolutionists. cool

(1) (Reply)

Bishop David Oyedepo – How To Break Generational Curses / “it Is Appointed Unto Men Once To Die” — Understanding Hebrews 9:27 / From An Ex-athiest

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 57
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.