Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,194,395 members, 7,954,574 topics. Date: Friday, 20 September 2024 at 11:08 PM

How Do You Handle Older People Under You At Work? - Career (2) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Career / How Do You Handle Older People Under You At Work? (10561 Views)

How Do You Handle Price Discrepancies Professionally / How Do You Handle A Difficult Boss? / How Do You Handle An Angry Boss Lady? (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: How Do You Handle Older People Under You At Work? by 3millionia: 4:59pm On Feb 25, 2018
Op your a man, at this time in your life there's nothing like elder or junior. Respect them but don't let their age intimidate you. I don't want to type much. Make sure you're a man among men.......

Re: How Do You Handle Older People Under You At Work? by R0ckefeller: 5:02pm On Feb 25, 2018
the time of play you play the time of work you work so just try to make everything 5050

1 Like

Re: How Do You Handle Older People Under You At Work? by wunmi590(m): 5:07pm On Feb 25, 2018
SAMBARRY:
When you are at work forget sentiments or the respect card

I'm not saying YOU should TREAT YOUr subordinates rudely but with the way you are going,if they know you are soft or have consideration for their age,they won't do what they're supposed to do and then THEY will begin to manipulate and disrespect you.very soon they'll become uncontrollable and by the time you try to call them to order,they'll claim you're arrogant,rude and proud.be firm.don't take nonsense,be professional and remind them they're adults hence THEY need to respect themselves because you wouldn't want a situation where you will embarrass anybody.trust me the fear of embarrassment Will make them comport themselves and comply

One of my subordinates is way older than all of us.infact she's my mom's mate but I STILL CAll her by her first name unfortunately she's the one that misbehaves the most.I have told them when we're in a meeting please put your phone on silent or vibration.she's the ONE that will come late to work with the excuse of hold up today,her daughter was sick etc

It's her that will be coming to work looking disorganized and improperly dressed.she won't adjust her bra well,her undershirt will be longer that her skirt etc.I've reprimanded her several times till I had enough of her and gave her query

She ran to a friend of mine that one pleaded on her behalf but now she has changed a bit sha

Thanks so much

1 Like

Re: How Do You Handle Older People Under You At Work? by wunmi590(m): 5:09pm On Feb 25, 2018
3millionia:
Op your a man, at this time in your life there's nothing like elder or junior. Respect them but don't let their age intimidate you. I don't want to type much. Make sure you're a man among men.......

Lol, thanks for the aadvice
Re: How Do You Handle Older People Under You At Work? by 3millionia: 5:12pm On Feb 25, 2018
wunmi590:

Lol, thanks for the aadvice

welvcome
Re: How Do You Handle Older People Under You At Work? by hollywater: 5:14pm On Feb 25, 2018
What is he trying to say by being Yoruba boy?
Re: How Do You Handle Older People Under You At Work? by wunmi590(m): 5:19pm On Feb 25, 2018
EzeJustme:
Listen bros. They are older than you, so i believe they have little understanding that it's the position you found yourself and they have to accept that, make sure you carryout you duty with utmost respect that will earn you more integrity. Don't say you cannot, they have to respect you and your position. Don't make it look as if it's an opportunity for intimidation,
Remember, respect is a reci....... U know the rest.

Thanks boss
Re: How Do You Handle Older People Under You At Work? by wunmi590(m): 5:20pm On Feb 25, 2018
maxwell767:
I understand u, but this is a job, and u are been paid for ur services, u are not paid to respect nor feel pity over ur subjects.....

Be wise men!

Thanks boss
Re: How Do You Handle Older People Under You At Work? by wunmi590(m): 5:23pm On Feb 25, 2018
SUPOL:
Please someone should come n make sense here

Lol, ishilove and other gurus has done justice to it grin

1 Like

Re: How Do You Handle Older People Under You At Work? by wunmi590(m): 5:23pm On Feb 25, 2018
Pavore9:
Be respectfully firm. It will give them a sense of duty and boundary.

Thanks
Re: How Do You Handle Older People Under You At Work? by wunmi590(m): 5:24pm On Feb 25, 2018
Goldenheart:
Modify*

With wisdom... Dude

Thanks boss
Re: How Do You Handle Older People Under You At Work? by DonroxyII: 5:28pm On Feb 25, 2018
wunmi590:
I recently got a job which gives me an opportunity to oversee people who are older than me.

Handling people who are older than me has been giving me a lot of issue, as I am a typical yoruba guy with a lot of respect.

But I discover that I find it hard sending somebody who can be my uncle and my dad.

I quickly have pity for people, that's why I can never work in the prison, even if I have a free employment there, because I might one day setting the prisoners free.

Nairalanders, how do you control older people under you to do their job diligently.

Be professional and humble .... Also, chide them frankly when the need be ....

When u re too respectful or behave like their son, they will abuse the privilege and it may be too late to control.
Re: How Do You Handle Older People Under You At Work? by Pavore9: 5:28pm On Feb 25, 2018
wunmi590:

Thanks

You are welcome.
Re: How Do You Handle Older People Under You At Work? by OLAPASTOR: 5:48pm On Feb 25, 2018
THIS IS SERIOUS BROS, JUST BE WISE N PRAYERFUL
Re: How Do You Handle Older People Under You At Work? by Olawale118(m): 5:51pm On Feb 25, 2018
Dhayor001:
Got a job last year that put me in charge of people who are older than me in age, have stayed longer with the organisation.

Suffice to say looking a lot younger than my actual age (heard these folks guess my age and trust me, the closest person guessed a 5 year gap) has not really helped matters. Did I mention that I also had to transfer to another part of the country?

First couple of months was a disaster. I would talk and no one would listen. Give them queries and would get open confrontations and threats, give instructions and no one would follow.

My breakthrough came from my persistence and the fact that I had supervisors who although were used to the ways of my subordinates, were actually backing me with the reforms I tried to bring. Also, while pushing for better performance, I gave my body and soul.

Within 8 months, rookie me had bagged 2 awards and higher responsibilities

Sorry I have digressed.

1. Be firm

2. Be goal oriented.

3. Be a performer.

4. Lead by example.

5. Cut off dead wood with fear, favour or remorse.

6. Nip unwanted character, behaviour, attitude immediately.

7. Have an open door policy. You must be very approachable.

8. Reward performance.

9. Keep it professional.

10. And most important of all, leave your emotions at home.

Cheers
u so much on point.
Re: How Do You Handle Older People Under You At Work? by lalanice(f): 5:56pm On Feb 25, 2018
wunmi590:
I recently got a job which gives me an opportunity to oversee people who are older than me.

Handling people who are older than me has been giving me a lot of issue, as I am a typical yoruba guy with a lot of respect.

But I discover that I find it hard sending somebody who can be my uncle and my dad.

I quickly have pity for people, that's why I can never work in the prison, even if I have a free employment there, because I might one day setting the prisoners free.

Nairalanders, how do you control older people under you to do their job diligently.

nothing says you can't be respectful and still be strict with your job, my current boss is very respectful, not just to the older staffs but also the younger and we all do our jobs well. Just don't turn out like the former who talks to his grandparents mate like he birth them simply because he went to school and they didn't undecided
Re: How Do You Handle Older People Under You At Work? by wunmi590(m): 6:00pm On Feb 25, 2018
DonroxyII:
Be professional and humble .... Also, chide them frankly when the need be ....

When u re too respectful or behave like their son, they will abuse the privilege and it may be too late to control.

Thanks boss

1 Like

Re: How Do You Handle Older People Under You At Work? by wunmi590(m): 6:01pm On Feb 25, 2018
lalanice:
nothing says you can't be respectful and still be strict with your job, my current boss is very respectful, not just to the older staffs but also the younger and we all do our jobs well. Just don't turn out like the former who talks to his grandparents mate like he birth them simply because he went to school and they didn't undecided

Thanks for this wonderful advice
Re: How Do You Handle Older People Under You At Work? by profstar(m): 6:06pm On Feb 25, 2018
Ishilove:
I am the youngest in my section yet I am their head, but that doesn't stop me from putting them in their place when it is time. Respect is mutual so give them their respect as your junior colleagues but know where to draw the line. I too thought I wouldn't be able to control them when I initially started because of their age, but overtime I had to harden myself and do the job I am paid to do. You are there to do a job, not make friends or look at anyone's face.

If they fvck up, you will be held accountable, not them so toughen up and do needful otherwise someone else will do it for you.
Re: How Do You Handle Older People Under You At Work? by lumeneng22: 6:48pm On Feb 25, 2018
Just be friendly and not like send them to buy food for you. A young white oga use to excercise caution in such circum..
Re: How Do You Handle Older People Under You At Work? by Apination(m): 6:50pm On Feb 25, 2018
undecided
Re: How Do You Handle Older People Under You At Work? by emilyone(f): 7:03pm On Feb 25, 2018
SAMBARRY:
When you are at work forget sentiments or the respect card

I'm not saying YOU should TREAT YOUr subordinates rudely but with the way you are going,if they know you are soft or have consideration for their age,they won't do what they're supposed to do and then THEY will begin to manipulate and disrespect you.very soon they'll become uncontrollable and by the time you try to call them to order,they'll claim you're arrogant,rude and proud.be firm.don't take nonsense,be professional and remind them they're adults hence THEY need to respect themselves because you wouldn't want a situation where you will embarrass anybody.trust me the fear of embarrassment Will make them comport themselves and comply

One of my subordinates is way older than all of us.infact she's my mom's mate but I STILL CAll her by her first name unfortunately she's the one that misbehaves the most.I have told them when we're in a meeting please put your phone on silent or vibration.she's the ONE that her phone will ring loud,shes the one that will come late to work with the excuse of hold up today,her daughter was sick etc,she's the one that will be sleeping during work hours or eating when she's not supposed to be eating,she's the one that will stain the office document with beans etc

It's her that will be coming to work looking disorganized and improperly dressed.she won't adjust her bra well,her underskirt will be longer that her skirt etc.I've reprimanded her several times till I had enough of her and gave her query

She ran to a friend of mine that one pleaded on her behalf but now she has changed a bit sha
Stain office document with beans ? grin

1 Like

Re: How Do You Handle Older People Under You At Work? by axeman10(m): 7:23pm On Feb 25, 2018
Leave Yoruba sentimental respectfulness at home. If a younger person even if he is a child in in position, they should respect the office/position, not the person. These same people you talk about...assume you are the son of the chairman, just fresh out of secondary school, and have the power to sack without question, you'll see these same old people rolling on the floor for you - it's called eye-service.

These same people will be the one gossiping about you being weak. Better, they say behind you 'werey ma l'oga yen' that boss is a mad man, better do his task than risk his wrath.

Like someone said, leave out sentiments, do your work, else someone else will do it for you.

If a 39year old could be the preside over a country like France, I see no reason why a 24 year old can't run a small department within an organisation or even run the company itself. Free yourself from excessive moral upbringing...it doesn't mean you respect/don't respect people.
Re: How Do You Handle Older People Under You At Work? by kcpumping(m): 7:30pm On Feb 25, 2018
two kind of respect that exist in life.....respect for older person and respect for authority.
Re: How Do You Handle Older People Under You At Work? by adanny01(m): 8:30pm On Feb 25, 2018
I worked as a consulting site engr. I worked alone most times and had an official car that commanded respect. I supervise mainly people who were older than me and far richer. Most were far experienced than i was. I had even expatriates work under me. They were contractors and subcontractors.

I gave them respect and demanded they do what i expected of them. I need not exchange words or disrespect them, a bad report would do them a lot of damage, so they respected my position.

One time, i worked with a retired AGM who was a contract Project Manager. He has had cause to beg me on behalf of his company. The odd thing happened when i visited my uncle who was also a serving AGM where the PM left. I met this PM with my uncle and the 3 of us said at the same time do you know this man. I has been difficult to refuse the PM onwards, that meeting always interfered with my judgement. I still have the courage to tell him to do his best so as i wont have to take any action. I took my first real bribe from this man, thats how bad he has affected me.

When it came to my colleagues, they were even older than my own father. I have had cause to have serious verbal altercation with a senior expatriate colleague as old as my father.

Overall, it is the responsibility of the junior colleague to respect his age and i will respect him too.
Re: How Do You Handle Older People Under You At Work? by tk4rd: 5:23am On Feb 26, 2018
What if you happened to be recruited as a boss in a big company where your dad worked for years, and by twist of fate/rescheduling, you were made the head of the team over your own dad who suffered to train you through school while he was working in that same company; would you resign from the job? or would you stay and be your dad's boss.??
As for me,, I won't resigning.
But I won't disrespect him while discharging my duties.. In fact, I would make him be so proud that he trained a son who is shinning and doing well.
Re: How Do You Handle Older People Under You At Work? by temebe: 5:56am On Feb 26, 2018
Looking for Love In LAGOS?

Are You A Working-Class Lady And Ready for Marriage?
Are You A Working-Class Man And Ready for Marriage?

Are You a Bachelor, spinster, single parent, middle aged single, divorcee, widow or widower and looking for a soulmate?

This Matchmaking platform is all about LOVE, FINDING & MATCH MAKING SOUL-MATES and MARRIAGE – Real People with Serious Intentions, Real Working Single, Verified Members to Guard against Fraud, Highly Confidential & Secured Platform where you have full control on your information!

On this Matchmaking Platform, we mean READY-FOR-MARRIAGE with total seriousness!!

Our mission is simple: Creating Relationships. Connecting Soulmates

Registration And Membership is ABSOLUTELY FREE!

Add the Super Admin on Whatsapp or Telegram O8~(163)~429~615 with request to be added to the Most Exciting World of Genuine Matchmaking (T&C for Security Reasons Apply!)

NOTE: All members on the platform are well verified because the genuine emotional happiness and well-being of our members are MOST IMPORTANT to us

Re: How Do You Handle Older People Under You At Work? by Kobicove(m): 8:35am On Feb 26, 2018
Dhayor001:
Got a job last year that put me in charge of people who are older than me in age, have stayed longer with the organisation.

Suffice to say looking a lot younger than my actual age (heard these folks guess my age and trust me, the closest person guessed a 5 year gap) has not really helped matters. Did I mention that I also had to transfer to another part of the country?

First couple of months was a disaster. I would talk and no one would listen. Give them queries and would get open confrontations and threats, give instructions and no one would follow.

My breakthrough came from my persistence and the fact that I had supervisors who although were used to the ways of my subordinates, were actually backing me with the reforms I tried to bring. Also, while pushing for better performance, I gave my body and soul.

Within 8 months, rookie me had bagged 2 awards and higher responsibilities

Sorry I have digressed.

1. Be firm

2. Be goal oriented.

3. Be a performer.

4. Lead by example.

5. Cut off dead wood with fear, favour or remorse.

6. Nip unwanted character, behaviour, attitude immediately.

7. Have an open door policy. You must be very approachable.

8. Reward performance.

9. Keep it professional.

10. And most important of all, leave your emotions at home.

Cheers

You have said it all...OP, take heed of what this guy said

(1) (2) (Reply)

I Hate My High-paying Job. What Should I Do Please? / Acca December 08 Diet Meets Here / Does The Chairman Of A Company Have An ID Card? Who Ratifies It?

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 71
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.