Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,155,535 members, 7,827,001 topics. Date: Tuesday, 14 May 2024 at 03:43 AM

Unrest In Nigeria Immigration Service Over Promotion - Career - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Career / Unrest In Nigeria Immigration Service Over Promotion (12918 Views)

Rumpus In Federal Civil Service Over Permanent Secretaries’ Deployment / What Is The Salary Structure Of The Nigerian Immigration Service? / FCTA Director Collapses Over Promotion (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (Reply) (Go Down)

Unrest In Nigeria Immigration Service Over Promotion by themomentng: 1:03pm On Feb 25, 2018
*Interior Minister, CG accused of complicity *Majority of beneficiaries from Katsina

*Aggrieved officers petition National Assembly *Promotion is not a right -NIS

A group of officers of the Nigeria Immigration Service (NIS), has cried out over what they described as ethnic and religious biases exhibited in the recent senior officers’ promotion exercise carried out by the Service.

The aggrieved officers, drawn mainly from the Southern part of the country, accused the leadership of NIS of pursuing an Islamisation agenda in the para-military organisation by denying officers of other faiths their due rights to advance their careers.

In a protest letter signed by one Mr. Olubode Ahmed on behalf of the aggrieved officers, and made available to us, the officers alleged that the promotion exercise was marred by fraud, ethnic bias and discrimination along religious lines.

They specifically accused the Minister of Interior, Gen. Abdulrahman Dambazzau (rtd), the Comptroller-General of Immigration, Mohammed Babandede, and a serving Commissioner at Civil Defence, Fire, Immigration Board, an Assistant Comptroller-General (rtd) of conniving with the Acting Director of the board to tamper with the authentic list from the board to favour officers of the same ethnic and religious leaning (i.e. Fulanis and Muslims) at the expense of other officers from other ethnic and religious backgrounds.

The statement reads: “A close study of the promotion list showed that Muslim officers from the North, especially the North-West, were favoured above others from other regions. How does one explain that the first two pages of the list of officers promoted from the rank of Chief Superintendent of Immigration (CSI) to Assistant Comptroller of Immigration (ACI) contained the name of Muslim officers of Northern extraction?

“The question concerned citizens, are asking is; do they represent the most intelligent in the Service? Also, Katsina State alone produced five to six Comptrollers, while some southern states had none. Some officers have been on the rank of CSI, ACI and DCI for six to eight years and these Northern officers who were recently elevated in 2014 were again elevated at the detriment of their Southern counterparts. This amounts to insensitivity and the height of injustice and nepotism. Some officers of Southern extraction that were lucky to have been promoted alluded to the fact that their northern officer friends facilitated their elevation.”
Lamenting the perceived ill-treatment, one of the victims cried out: “For God’s sake, are some people superior to others in this country? No doubt, there is a grand attempt and plan to Islamise the service because by the time you are not promoted, you will be forced to accept Islam. This is so sad in a democratic and liberal country like ours. It is also to ensure that a particular ethnic and religious group dominates too. They should know that there is a God watching everything we do here on earth”.
Another affected officer, who spoke to our correspondent on the condition of anonymity for fear of victimisation, claimed that the list released was selective, not the authentic promotion list approved by the board.

“We are not in any way questioning the Comptroller-General of Immigration, (CGI), for promoting his personal aides, but we are against a situation whereby a particular ethnic and religious group is seen as superior to others.

“When Dambazzau came on board as the Minister, we were happy, thinking that he was going to make things better; we never knew that he came to promote ethnic and religious agenda. Babandede on the other hand behaved like an emperor who has no regard for officers and men. He plants his men in sensitive positions, who threatens and harass officers with postings and dismissal.

“When did it become the responsibility of the CGI to promote senior officers? When did promotion become the sole right of people from the same ethnic /religious group? Is it now a sin or taboo to be a southerner or Christian?”
Hence, the aggrieved officers appealed to the Presidency, their representatives in the Senate and House of Representatives, Christian bodies and well-meaning Nigerians to come to their rescue and save them from their oppressors.
“We want fairness and justice. We want full investigation into this matter to right this wrong. This is grave injustice. Let the board speak. This is an imposed list. We will not watch a few individuals destroy our lives. The same thing happened to Civil Defence and this was what informed their decision to embark on a protest last week. Babandede should stop interfering in the affairs of the board; he should learn to be fair and just.
“It is universally believed that promotion comes from God Almighty and not from the North, South, East or West. The reverse seems to be the case with the recently released promotion by the NIS. Of all the newly promoted Comptrollers, five are from Katsina alone, while other states have little or no representation at all. Of over 280 CSI promoted to ACI, over 250 are of northern/ Muslim extraction. Many juniors are promoted above their seniors. This is reflected particularly in the promotion from CSI to ACI. The list did not reflect the state of origin and date of last promotion of the beneficiaries. This is a ploy to conceal the outright contradiction of the criteria guiding promotion of officers clearly stated in Section 7 of the Public Service Rule.

“This abnormality should be looked into by the appropriate authorities so as to restore sanity in the service. Officers’ career and destiny should not be allowed to be thwarted.
They also accused the CG of refusing to pay promotion arrears of deserving officers.
“The government cannot afford to look the other way and pretend that all is well when things are going wrong…We cannot remain as slaves in our fatherland. We have our rights. We are not in Libya. This kind of injustice can never happen in the Army or Police. It is just too glaring; this is the worst form of corruption and nepotism I have ever witnessed since I joined the Service, where people do things with impunity, believing that nothing will happen to them.

However, the Public Relations Officer, Clement James, an Assistant Comptroller of Immigration, said promotion in the Service is based on merit and character, not a right. He added that if any officer, however, has any complaint about the promotion exercise, such should be sent to the Board, and not to the Senate or House of Representatives Committee on Interior. According to James, sending a petition to the National Assembly amounts to insubordination to laid down procedure, adding however, that he was yet to see a copy of the petition. He said the CG is doing everything possible to ensure equity and fair play in the service

Efforts to get official response from the Committees on Interior in the two chambers of the National Assembly proved abortive as the officials could not be reached as at press time. Senate Spokesman, Aliu Sabi, said he was yet to see the petition and would not comment on it.

https://newtelegraphonline.com/2018/02/aggrieved-immigration-officers-kick-promotion/

1 Share

Re: Unrest In Nigeria Immigration Service Over Promotion by FarahAideed: 1:16pm On Feb 25, 2018
Never has this country been so divided and the reason is simple we elected a bigot into the state house

52 Likes 2 Shares

Re: Unrest In Nigeria Immigration Service Over Promotion by Turantula(m): 1:20pm On Feb 25, 2018
Oya Fake mufti Osibande explain

4 Likes

Re: Unrest In Nigeria Immigration Service Over Promotion by Jayclinics(m): 6:51am On Feb 26, 2018
Ok
Re: Unrest In Nigeria Immigration Service Over Promotion by pejuakinab: 6:51am On Feb 26, 2018
Their was a country

3 Likes

Re: Unrest In Nigeria Immigration Service Over Promotion by joystickextend1(m): 6:51am On Feb 26, 2018
Alright..

Meanwhile Guy's check out my profile for your extender products and other adult fantasy toy's
Re: Unrest In Nigeria Immigration Service Over Promotion by karimcarim(m): 6:52am On Feb 26, 2018
A plot of Land for sale at an affordable price.
Location : Along The Federal University, Oye Ekiti. EKiti State
Contact Address : 07032681755,08076048453

Note : full plot of 60 by 120
Re: Unrest In Nigeria Immigration Service Over Promotion by simplemach(m): 6:53am On Feb 26, 2018
Scam in a shithole country

3 Likes

Re: Unrest In Nigeria Immigration Service Over Promotion by yebzman: 6:53am On Feb 26, 2018
Buhari
When would you stop Nepotism and promote
1 Nigeria

3 Likes

Re: Unrest In Nigeria Immigration Service Over Promotion by FRESHG(m): 6:58am On Feb 26, 2018
ALARIIWO OYA COME AND DEFEND YOUR NORTHERN MASTERS

10 Likes

Re: Unrest In Nigeria Immigration Service Over Promotion by UncleJudax(m): 6:58am On Feb 26, 2018
Lol. Sai chanji

1 Like

Re: Unrest In Nigeria Immigration Service Over Promotion by blaqoracle: 7:06am On Feb 26, 2018
FarahAideed:
Never has this country been so divided and the reason is simple we elected a bigot into the state house
relax,the wailers. Dambazzau is only trying to balance the injustice meted on the north by the past govt of Jonathan.

2 Likes 1 Share

Re: Unrest In Nigeria Immigration Service Over Promotion by pentax(m): 7:15am On Feb 26, 2018
blaqoracle:
relax,the wailers. Dambazzau is only trying to balance the injustice meted on the north by the past govt of Jonathan.
U are a foolish zombie, u sef 'record what u just said and listen to it to ascertain its stupidity

19 Likes

Re: Unrest In Nigeria Immigration Service Over Promotion by kokosin: 7:21am On Feb 26, 2018
God abeg use that stick wey u Moses use divide red sea help us divide Nigeria.....

8 Likes 1 Share

Re: Unrest In Nigeria Immigration Service Over Promotion by samsononyilo(m): 7:22am On Feb 26, 2018
In other news, am at the registration center to get my pvc, come 2019, we are voting out incompetency...

8 Likes

Re: Unrest In Nigeria Immigration Service Over Promotion by coolk(m): 7:25am On Feb 26, 2018
Hmmm
Re: Unrest In Nigeria Immigration Service Over Promotion by Jokerman(m): 7:31am On Feb 26, 2018
Why are they complaining Sheybe Buhari is better than Jonathan

Moreover this ones sabi vote for Tinubu....

7 Likes

Re: Unrest In Nigeria Immigration Service Over Promotion by Femijohn198: 7:32am On Feb 26, 2018
that is why Igbo are fighting for Biafra to stay and be independent on their own.T he North want to Islamize this country..

7 Likes

Re: Unrest In Nigeria Immigration Service Over Promotion by nwabobo: 7:33am On Feb 26, 2018
Buhari has finished this country.

5 Likes

Re: Unrest In Nigeria Immigration Service Over Promotion by phayvoursky(m): 7:34am On Feb 26, 2018
THIS GOVERNMENT HAS SUCCESSFULLY SHOWN US THE MEANING OF ETHNIC AND RELIGIOUS BIGOTRY

TO THOSE OFFICERS WHO FEEL CHEATED AND SIDELINED EITHER IN NIS, NA, NAF, NN, NPF, NSCDC, FRSC, FFS AND EVERY OTHER NIGERIAN WHO ISN'T HAPPY WITH THE CURRENT SITUATION OF THE COUNTRY; WRITING LETTERS WONT HELP THE SITUATION, YOUR PVC WILL DO.

THIS GOVERNMENT HAS RECEIVED MORE LETTERS THAN ANY OTHER GOVERNMENT AND THE GOOD NEWS IS THE LETTERS ARE DOWNPLAYED.

A MILLION WRITTEN LETTERS DON'T COUNT BUT ONE VOTE COUNTS.

12 Likes

Re: Unrest In Nigeria Immigration Service Over Promotion by iambabaG: 7:38am On Feb 26, 2018
I never knew I would ever admit it..
But my disappointment in this government has no words to describe it!
I just hope another Political Party bring forward a credible candidate.. enough of the gross ineptitude we’ve endured for both APC & PDP!

7 Likes

Re: Unrest In Nigeria Immigration Service Over Promotion by Kooldon(f): 7:39am On Feb 26, 2018
Who Says Promotion Is Not Your Right In A Government Work?
God Punish Satan.
This Was One Of The Reasons A Lot Of Nigerians Prefered The Libya Slave Camp Rather Than Come Back.
Packing My Bags To Leave This Shit Hole Called Buhari Lead Change

5 Likes

Re: Unrest In Nigeria Immigration Service Over Promotion by thunder74(m): 7:39am On Feb 26, 2018
Candidate GMB said and I quote

1. “I will continue to show openly and inside me the total commitment to the Sharia movement that is sweeping all over Nigeria. God willing, we will not stop the agitation for the total implementation of the Sharia in the country.” – Buhari (News24, August 27, 2001)

2. “If what happened in 2011 should again happen in 2015, by the grace of God, the dog and the baboon will all be soaked in blood.” – Buhari (Vanguard May 15, 2012)

3. “The last general election was anything but free and fair. The only political parties that could complain of election rigging are those parties that lacked the resources to rig.” – Buhar (First Speech after Military Coup, 31 December, 1983)

4. “No no no, Abacha did not steal Nigeria’s money.” – Buhari (10th Anniversary of Abacha’s death)

5. “The declaration of state of emergency in three Northern states of Adamawa, Borno and Yobe is a grave injustice against the North.” – Buhari (Liberty Radio, June 2, 2013)

6. “I live on borrowing. I borrowed from the banks to build the house in Daura and the one in Abuja and Kano. The bank then was Barclays, now Union Bank.” – Buhari (The SUN Exclusive Interview, December 24, 2012)

7. “When the Niger Delta militants started their activities in the South-South, they were invited by the late President Umaru Yar’adua. An aircraft was sent to them and their leaders met with the late President in Aso Rock and discussed issues. They were given money and a training scheme was introduced for their members. But when the Boko Haram emerged in the north, members of the sect were killed”. – Buhari (Liberty Radio, Kaduna May 14 2012)

8. “Muslims should only vote those who will promote Islam. We are more than the Christians if you add our Muslim brothers in the West.”- Buhari (Liberty Radio Kaduna, 2003)

9. “This campaign is the third and last one for me; since, after it, I will not present myself again for election into office of the president.” – Buhari (April, 2011 at the Int’l Conference Centre, Abuja)

10. “I’ll stabilize oil market if elected.” – Buhari (Channels TV Interview, 2014)

11. “Why should Christians be concerned when Muslim cut off their limbs? After all, the limbs that are being cut off are Muslim ones and not Christian. So why should Christians bother about it?? – Buhari (Liberty Radio, Kaduna 2003)

12. “I will not have office of the first lady if I’m elected president.” – Buhari (2014)

13. “If There Is a repeat of the Civil War again, I will kill more Igbos to save the country.” – Buhari (BBC Hausa Service, 2015)

14. “I can die for the cause of Islam if necessary. We are prepared to fight another civil war. We cannot be blackmailed into killing Sharia.” – Muhammadu Buhari (Freedom House, 2000)

15. I’ll make Naira equal in value to dollar.” – Muhammadu Buhari (Vanguard, March 23, 2015)

12 Likes 3 Shares

Re: Unrest In Nigeria Immigration Service Over Promotion by hucienda: 7:40am On Feb 26, 2018
It is finished.

2 Likes

Re: Unrest In Nigeria Immigration Service Over Promotion by validman7(m): 7:41am On Feb 26, 2018
hahaha.. ethnic cleansing is surely being perpetrated in every sector in this govt..

my uncle must be one of the aggrieved members.. when we were busy clamouring for "the state of the rising sun", he was busy preaching for one naijeriya.

someone that have been CSI for up to 10 years now.

Nnamdi KANU is really a prophet!

even the south westerners that voted the jihadeen is not being left out of the cleansing!

one naijeriya is a scam!
some people are being treated above others in this country.

5 Likes

Re: Unrest In Nigeria Immigration Service Over Promotion by gratiaeo(m): 7:41am On Feb 26, 2018
When you voted a bigot as your president what do you expect. Nigeria have not see anything until Buhari win his second term that when you ll see the real fulani supremacy

7 Likes 1 Share

Re: Unrest In Nigeria Immigration Service Over Promotion by cinoedhunter: 7:43am On Feb 26, 2018
Next time we go think b4 voting an illiterate

3 Likes

Re: Unrest In Nigeria Immigration Service Over Promotion by Vado(m): 7:48am On Feb 26, 2018
These Daura united people exhibit their ethnocentric, religious and nepotistic biases without shame. They are so emboldened that they make ridiculous appointments and promotions knowing fully well that there's nothing ya'll can do about it.

5 Likes

Re: Unrest In Nigeria Immigration Service Over Promotion by Nobody: 7:53am On Feb 26, 2018
Nigerians were warned against voting this tribal bigot but they wouldn't listen. See how they have turned every sector into a fulani jihadist zone . Just wait till Buhari wins second tenure and then see the real worst.

anyway, we won't vote any Fulanis again, no matter the party.

4 Likes

(1) (2) (3) (Reply)

Please Help With Ideas For A Career Path. / 6 Business & Career Growth Secrets I Learnt From Jonah & The Fish / My Salary Account Was Credited Twice

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 50
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.