Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,153,743 members, 7,820,556 topics. Date: Tuesday, 07 May 2024 at 05:07 PM

Signs And Symptoms Of Bad Or Failing Glow Plugs In Diesel Cars - Car Talk - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Car Talk / Signs And Symptoms Of Bad Or Failing Glow Plugs In Diesel Cars (4737 Views)

4 Symptoms You’ll Notice If The Water Pump Of Your Car Is Bad Or Failing / 3 Symptoms To Detect A Bad Or Failing Engine Mount / These Are The 4 Easy Ways To Distinguish Diesel Cars From Petrol Cars (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

Signs And Symptoms Of Bad Or Failing Glow Plugs In Diesel Cars by Automotive1(m): 11:55pm On Feb 25, 2018

Petrol engines use spark plugs to ignite the air-fuel mixture in the combustion chamber during the power stroke of the engine. Diesel engines do not have spark plugs.They rely on cylinder pressure and temperature to ignite the fuel mixture. Since temperature can be considerably lower during cold starts and in cold weather conditions, glow plugs are used to help warm up the engine cylinders to an adequate temperature that will allow for proper combustion.

They are called glow plugs because they will glow a bright orange color when current is applied to them.

When the glow plugs have an issue,they can usually cause problems with the driveability of the vehicle. Usually bad or failing glow plugs will produce a few symptoms that can alert the driver of a potential issue.

1. Hard starting
Faulty glow plugs won't provide the additional heat required to help the engine start normally.it causes starting problem with the engine, which may be especially pronounced during cold starts and in cold weather. The engine may require more cranks than normal before it starts
So if the fuel system and battery are working fine, it is likely that the glow plug is at fault.

2.Glow Plug Light comes on

Another symptom with diesel glow plugs or their timer is an  illuminated glow plug light. This indicator on the instrument cluster that will illuminate or flash if the computer detects an issue with the glow plug system. The indicator is usually a line in the shape of a spiral or coil, reminiscent of a wire filament, and amber in color.

3. Check Engine Light comes on
An illuminated Check Engine Light is another symptom of faulty glow plugs. If the computer detects an issue with the circuit or signal of any of the glow plugs, or the timer, it will set off the Check Engine Light in order to notify you of the issue.

The light will usually come on after the vehicle has already begun to experience starting issues. This Check Engine Light can also be activated by a wide variety of other issues.

While replacing the glow plug is not generally considered routine maintenance, glow plugs usually have a recommended interval that they should be serviced at in order to avoid potential issues.

If your vehicle is displaying any of the symptoms above, have the car checked by your mechanic.

Source https://autojosh.com/signs-symptoms-bad-failing-glow-plugs-diesel-cars/

Cc Lalasticlala Mynd44

3 Likes 1 Share

Re: Signs And Symptoms Of Bad Or Failing Glow Plugs In Diesel Cars by Nobody: 6:45am On Feb 26, 2018
Okay
Re: Signs And Symptoms Of Bad Or Failing Glow Plugs In Diesel Cars by Nobody: 6:45am On Feb 26, 2018
Wow thanks OP

2 Likes

Re: Signs And Symptoms Of Bad Or Failing Glow Plugs In Diesel Cars by pejuakinab: 6:46am On Feb 26, 2018
Very educative. Cars are meant to run smoothly just as we take care of our health also

2 Likes

Re: Signs And Symptoms Of Bad Or Failing Glow Plugs In Diesel Cars by kelvinezeh55(m): 6:46am On Feb 26, 2018
Very educative

2 Likes

Re: Signs And Symptoms Of Bad Or Failing Glow Plugs In Diesel Cars by Jayclinics(m): 6:48am On Feb 26, 2018
K
Re: Signs And Symptoms Of Bad Or Failing Glow Plugs In Diesel Cars by anthony86(m): 7:10am On Feb 26, 2018
What about in diesel generators does this same analogy apply.
Re: Signs And Symptoms Of Bad Or Failing Glow Plugs In Diesel Cars by BaddaMan: 8:15am On Feb 26, 2018
anthony86:
What about in diesel generators does this same analogy apply.

Yes but not all Diesel generator as a functioning glow plugs, Perkins Diesel gen as but most of them are not connected but the Japanese Diesel Generator as and are always connected. But people usually Mistake a bad glow plug as an injector pump problem
Re: Signs And Symptoms Of Bad Or Failing Glow Plugs In Diesel Cars by essegis(m): 8:39am On Feb 26, 2018
Hello OP and thanks for the insight.

Please I have a question if you can only take a little of your time to answer. Why are diesel private cars not much in Nigeria and readily discouraged.

Late last year I wanted to buy a family car and had hoped for a diesel GL but was put off by my mechanic. He made assertions from no good mechanics for it to bad diesel in filling stations everywhere. Also, looking for naija used or even tokunbo diesel GL on every available naija sale site came out with no result.

I personally still have interest in it and will one day acquire it. Even if na only me dey drive am for the whole Nigeria no problem. Thanks.

1 Like

Re: Signs And Symptoms Of Bad Or Failing Glow Plugs In Diesel Cars by gbadexy(m): 9:35am On Feb 26, 2018
God bless you op for this post.

1 Like

Re: Signs And Symptoms Of Bad Or Failing Glow Plugs In Diesel Cars by sheypian(m): 10:32am On Feb 26, 2018
essegis:
Hello OP and thanks for the insight.

Please I have a question if you can only take a little of your time to answer. Why are diesel private cars not much in Nigeria and readily discouraged.

Late last year I wanted to buy a family car and had hoped for a diesel GL but was put off by my mechanic. He made assertions from no good mechanics for it to bad diesel in filling stations everywhere. Also, looking for naija used or even tokunbo diesel GL on every available naija sale site came out with no result.

I personally still have interest in it and will one day acquire it. Even if na only me dey drive am for the whole Nigeria no problem. Thanks.

Oga don't let anyone discourage you,if you can get!
I. Currently use a Golfplus TDi diesel engine car,manual transmission! For over 2years now... so far so good I see no disadvantage in it and the respect people will have for you,you self will be dazed,i have never queued for fuel....the worst,i have bought diesel for 260 naira per. litre!and I didnt die!I have travelled with it round-about Nigeria and I must tell you the experience is fantastic!
Great fuel economy too!!

Any good mechanic that does diesel engine can fix whatever fault for you,and the engine hardly gives issues!

1 Like 1 Share

Re: Signs And Symptoms Of Bad Or Failing Glow Plugs In Diesel Cars by Aldebaran(m): 12:49pm On Feb 26, 2018
Nice...

1 Like

Re: Signs And Symptoms Of Bad Or Failing Glow Plugs In Diesel Cars by essegis(m): 3:42pm On Feb 26, 2018
sheypian:

I. Currently use a Golfplus TDi diesel engine car,manual transmission! For over 2years now... so far so good I see no disadvantage in it and the respect people will have for you,you self will be dazed,i have never queued for fuel....the worst,i have bought diesel for 260 naira per. litre!and I didnt die!I have travelled with it round-about Nigeria and I must tell you the experience is fantastic!
Great fuel economy too!!

Any good mechanic that does diesel engine can fix whatever fault for you,and the engine hardly gives issues!

Thanks my brother. The cost of diesel has never been a problem for me. Whatever it is it beats the petrol hassles.

I have promised myself I'll get so no shakes.
Re: Signs And Symptoms Of Bad Or Failing Glow Plugs In Diesel Cars by arabanbi007(m): 4:09pm On May 09, 2018
Please who is your VW Diesel mechanic (Lagos)? Recommend please.

sheypian:

Great fuel economy too!!

Re: Signs And Symptoms Of Bad Or Failing Glow Plugs In Diesel Cars by sheypian(m): 9:08am On May 21, 2018
[quote author=arabanbi007 post=67418483]Please who is your VW Diesel mechanic (Lagos)? Recommend please.

Sorrrry i'm just getting this! I am based in Ibadan.
Re: Signs And Symptoms Of Bad Or Failing Glow Plugs In Diesel Cars by oluomoadebayo: 8:26am On May 29, 2018
sheypian:

Great fuel economy too!!

Please, I need the contact of your mechanic in Ibadan.

(1) (Reply)

Clean Toyota Camry 2007 / 2010 Audi Q7, Bmw X6, Range Rover And R-class Benz / Honda Crv

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 29
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.