Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,154,448 members, 7,823,059 topics. Date: Thursday, 09 May 2024 at 10:50 PM

How Much Does It Actually Cost To Get A Drivers License In Nigeria? - Car Talk (3) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Car Talk / How Much Does It Actually Cost To Get A Drivers License In Nigeria? (61646 Views)

What Are The Issues Associated With Obtaining A Drivers License In Nigeria? / FRSC Sets Deadline For Number Plates Violation, Drivers License / How much does it cost to renew car papers in your state - 2019 (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: How Much Does It Actually Cost To Get A Drivers License In Nigeria? by lekonso: 6:17pm On Feb 27, 2018
I did my own at #6300, but it took a year for it to come out.

6 Likes

Re: How Much Does It Actually Cost To Get A Drivers License In Nigeria? by ndcide(m): 6:22pm On Feb 27, 2018
Abeg, we that stay in Ajah, where can we do ours.
Re: How Much Does It Actually Cost To Get A Drivers License In Nigeria? by Mac05(m): 7:16pm On Feb 27, 2018
jazzyjazz:
In Abuja a fresh license is 10,450 for 5 years validity and 6,450 for 3 years validity

Pls where exactly in Abuja? I need a fresh one and I always hear some people say go to VIO while others say FRSC.
Re: How Much Does It Actually Cost To Get A Drivers License In Nigeria? by banio: 7:27pm On Feb 27, 2018
In Nigeria you can't get things done in the right way. Whether government or private, you have to bribe your way through.
Re: How Much Does It Actually Cost To Get A Drivers License In Nigeria? by royalair(m): 7:37pm On Feb 27, 2018
here in owerri I did mine for 22k

1 Like

Re: How Much Does It Actually Cost To Get A Drivers License In Nigeria? by MIKOLOWISKA: 7:48pm On Feb 27, 2018
VcStunner:
Just like your international passport, it is almost with certainty I will tell you that the driver's license may be produced abroad. Ofcourse Corp marshal said N6,300, so if you pay more than that you're part of the problem.
But however you refuse to renew because you heard a "rumor" that it is above N20,000, they will flag u down like they actually know you don't have it, then they will collect 6hrs and N35,000 from you. And you will go home hating this shithole and everything in it. And the aggression continues to spread until those lazy fat belly unproductive individuals are purged from d system and replaced by vibrant and agile wasting youths.
frsc are all youth
Re: How Much Does It Actually Cost To Get A Drivers License In Nigeria? by jazzyjazz: 7:56pm On Feb 27, 2018
Mac05:

Pls where exactly in Abuja? I need a fresh one and I always hear some people say go to VIO while others say FRSC.

Frsc office zone 7 beside nafdac office

The process there is that a VIO officer first validates your forms
Then you proceed to capture

Be sure to have your certificate from an accredited driving school
Re: How Much Does It Actually Cost To Get A Drivers License In Nigeria? by Mac05(m): 9:13pm On Feb 27, 2018
jazzyjazz:

Frsc office zone 7 beside nafdac office
The process there is that a VIO officer first validates your forms Then you proceed to capture
Be sure to have your certificate from an accredited driving school
Ok. Thank you very much.
Re: How Much Does It Actually Cost To Get A Drivers License In Nigeria? by osteenbush(m): 4:40am On Feb 28, 2018
The price for 3 years drivers license is 6,350 while that of 5 years is 10,450, however, there are procedures one has to follow before the amount mentioned above is paid into the bank and these include online downloading, acquisition of driving school certificate, acquisition of learner's permit etc, these are some of the reasons why it is expensive to procure. If you can get all these on your own without the help of anyone, then it might be cheaper but if you can't, negotiate and arrive at a reasonable price, provided you get a genuine one.

2 Likes

Re: How Much Does It Actually Cost To Get A Drivers License In Nigeria? by VcStunner(m): 12:29pm On Feb 28, 2018
MIKOLOWISKA:
frsc are all youth
ofcourse they are... if we were just considering those who know nothing about operational policies. cuz I believe those are possibly the only ones u and I see yeah?
Re: How Much Does It Actually Cost To Get A Drivers License In Nigeria? by Bomoobacom(m): 1:06pm On Feb 28, 2018
osteenbush:
The price for 3 years drivers license is 6,350 while that of 5 years is 10,450, however, there are procedures one has to follow before the amount mentioned above is paid into the bank and these include online downloading, acquisition of driving school certificate, acquisition of learner's permit etc, these are some of the reasons why it is expensive to procure. If you can get all these on your own without the help of anyone, then it might be cheaper but if you can't, negotiate and arrive at a reasonable price, provided you get a genuine one.
Very true.....most people dont know that its the cost of acquiring a Driving school certificate that shoots up the price of acquiring the drivers license.....

On the other hand if you stay in OSOGBO or IBADAN and need a driving school certificate at the lowest rate ever in Osun state....

visit us at KOMOLAFE DRIVING SCHOOL, Mosodun building, Alekuwodo Area, Osogbo, Osun State

or

KOMOLAFE DRIVING SCHOOL, No 47, Awolowo Avenue, Old Bodija, Ibadan, Oyo State

call us on 08133520041, 08118410868

Whatsapp: 08168832871

FRSC/GOVT APPROVED.
Re: How Much Does It Actually Cost To Get A Drivers License In Nigeria? by Partnerbiz(f): 5:32pm On Feb 28, 2018
bibe:
I have successfully renewed my license twice for #6350.
Basically the charge is #6000 for 3 years license and #10000 for 5 years license, with additional #350 bank charge in both cases. Renewed first time in Abuja and second time in Abakaliki.

You can actually do this yourself totally by going online, filling the form in their website, making payment at the bank and proceeding to their office with the forms for further processing. If you opted for recapturing, then you'll be recaptured at their office. However, ensure you know your road signs as you'll be tested by VIO office. If you don't pass this test you'll be charged some amount I think it is #1500 and you'll be issued with a CD and a small pamphlet containing road signs and their meaning and will be rescheduled for the test. You'll be issued with a temporary license and will receive an SMS to come collect your licence when it is ready (usually within 60-90 days).

The problem is people always resort to hearsay and are always in a haste and that's why the get ripped off. Please stop encouraging the rot in the system and use the official channels to get your licence.

PS: I also got my first passport the same way. Didn't pay any extra money, went to their website, filled the form, paid the fee and went to the immigration office.

Cheers.

So how did you tackle the driving school requirement?
Re: How Much Does It Actually Cost To Get A Drivers License In Nigeria? by bibe(m): 6:51pm On Feb 28, 2018
Partnerbiz:

So how did you tackle the driving school requirement?

Got my first licence in 2004 and then you weren't required to provide certificate from a driving school.
It's a recent development but it's not much of a hassle. Just register with any accredited driving schools and they'll issue you a certificate after your driving lessons which you'll now submit together with your application for driving licence at your preferred FRSC licencing office for further processing.
Re: How Much Does It Actually Cost To Get A Drivers License In Nigeria? by MIKOLOWISKA: 7:34pm On Feb 28, 2018
VcStunner:
ofcourse they are... if we were just considering those who know nothing about operational policies. cuz I believe those are possibly the only ones u and I see yeah?
and they are more corrupt than the fat old ones

1 Like

Re: How Much Does It Actually Cost To Get A Drivers License In Nigeria? by Partnerbiz(f): 7:42pm On Feb 28, 2018
bibe:

Got my first licence in 2004 and then you weren't required to provide certificate from a driving school.
It's a recent development but it's not much of a hassle. Just register with any accredited driving schools and they'll issue you a certificate after your driving lessons which you'll now submit together with your application for driving licence at your preferred FRSC licencing office for further processing.

Those guys will take between 10k to 15k to do that shit.
And it's all eye service.
Re: How Much Does It Actually Cost To Get A Drivers License In Nigeria? by VcStunner(m): 8:04pm On Feb 28, 2018
MIKOLOWISKA:
and they are more corrupt than the fat old ones
apparently this corruption thingy is rather made to look tough to deal with when u and I know that when we make the system water tight, they won't be able to deal. In America even police on patrol take bribes fam!
So my point is... because the big guys in the offices benefit massively from the loop holes, they wouldn't be eager to address such a porous system and yet seat tight on those positions. Isn't that why our PIB is still watered down and yet to be passed after 8yrs?
Re: How Much Does It Actually Cost To Get A Drivers License In Nigeria? by bibe(m): 8:37pm On Feb 28, 2018
Partnerbiz:

Those guys will take between 10k to 15k to do that shit.
And it's all eye service.

Driving schools charge around 10-15k. I actually see nothing wrong with new applicants being asked to get certified by a driving school. Many road users lack basic understanding of driving rules as well as road signs. For example some people don't even know what a speed and service lane is. I only hope that the schools are diligent in their duty. It's a reasonable requirement inline with what's obtainable in developed climes. In the end it's all about your disposition towards it. As for me, it's a welcome development.
Re: How Much Does It Actually Cost To Get A Drivers License In Nigeria? by MIKOLOWISKA: 8:51pm On Feb 28, 2018
VcStunner:
apparently this corruption thingy is rather made to look tough to deal[b]its very tough unless you abolish govt [/b] with when u and I know that when we make the system water tight,you think
i know it cannot
they won't be able to deal. so long as there are humans
deals will be made
its our nature
In America even police on patrol take bribes fam! na jjc no sabi dat one
So my point is... because the big guys in the offices benefit massively from the loop holes, they wouldn't be eager to address such a porous system and yet seat tight on those positions. Isn't that why our PIB is still watered down and yet to be passed after 8yrs?
that's not a point
everyone knows that
Re: How Much Does It Actually Cost To Get A Drivers License In Nigeria? by VcStunner(m): 8:40am On Mar 01, 2018
MIKOLOWISKA:
that's not a point
everyone knows that
alright pls make ur point... cuz I don't see yours either
Re: How Much Does It Actually Cost To Get A Drivers License In Nigeria? by MIKOLOWISKA: 8:14pm On Mar 02, 2018
VcStunner:
alright pls make ur point... cuz I don't see yours either
that you have none
Re: How Much Does It Actually Cost To Get A Drivers License In Nigeria? by MIKOLOWISKA: 8:15pm On Mar 02, 2018
VcStunner:
alright pls make ur poinwhat point do you want me to maket... cuz I don't see yours either
Re: How Much Does It Actually Cost To Get A Drivers License In Nigeria? by goodieuzo: 8:42am On Mar 05, 2018
What is the reset button in frsc portal used for? When I entered my expired licence info, is showing invalid date of birth.
Re: How Much Does It Actually Cost To Get A Drivers License In Nigeria? by mowaaa: 1:12pm On Mar 16, 2018
8,350 naira is what I paid in total for renewal

Process
Went to the official drivers license website
Filled it and I chose renewal for 3 years
I chose the option not to be re-captured ( my fingerprints are still the same)

Was told on the site total fee is 6,350 for 3 years
Chose to pay at the bank

Note when you pay at the bank, they will give you a drivers license "validation number "( very important)

Went to FRSC ojo office ( it's inside ojo local government)

First went to the Board of internal revenue office....they gave me a form to manually fill and attach 2 passport A total waste because those information sought was already filled online

Demanded 500 with a straight face without any receipt ofcourse ( first case of corruption)

Submitted the completed form with the online form + validation number receipt and passport photos after I had made photocopies.....after this, this was were the almost endless wait began.
Took over 2 hours before I was called to come pickup the signed forms

Then was asked to proceed to VIO office ( still inside the ojo local government).
"Bros you are welcome" was the greeting before the "you'll pay 1k"
I asked what the payment was for?
Gibberish answers about how everyone was else has paid
I told them but I thought it was just those who applied for the first time that needed to pay.
They said for new applicants, they charge 2k
Ofcourse after I paid the 1k, no receipt was given(2nd case of corruption)
Great thing about the VIO was that the process was fast! In few mins, forms had been returned signed

Then proceeded to FRSC office.
You'll pay 500 naira was the first response after looking at my form.
The officer could see in my face I was wondering what the payment was and he came with this crap of how he tells people that immigration office charges way for the international passport than the official price

Paid and I wasn't given a receipt either.
Told to come back next day for recapture.
I told him when I filled the form online I chose not to recapture. He checked the system, confirmed I chose not to recapture and gave me the signed forms and said I should wait for an SMS telling me to come pickup my driver's license when it's ready

The forms will have to be in the car incase I ever get stopped by FRSC / police/lastma/vio while driving

So there you have it
Govt coffers: 6,350
Corrupt coffers: 2,000

Total : 8,350

5 Likes

Re: How Much Does It Actually Cost To Get A Drivers License In Nigeria? by Ezylinkage: 12:18pm On Oct 17, 2018
What Is International Driving Permit?
An IDP is a document that allows an individual to drive a private vehicle in another country; it is slightly larger than a standard passport and it is complete with one’s photographs and other statistical data.

Where can I obtain IDP?
Before you can obtain a valid IDP in Nigeria you MUST also have your local driving license issued by the Federal Road Safety Corp (FRSC) first before you can get your International Permit.

How long does it take?
The International Driving Permit takes 2 to 3 working days

What are the requirements?
Photocopy of International Passport
Photocopy of National Driving license
2 Passport photo

How long does it takes before it expire?
You can request for an International Driving license in Nigeria that is for one year to three years, you will have to pay more if you want to have the expiration longer than a year.
One year License
Two year License
Three year License

Which country can I Use the IDP?
The IDP is recognized in Maryland, Washington DC and California in the U.S. as well as Germany, Turkey, Switzerland, Poland, Spain, Austria and Sweden in Europe.

Having an IDP is a great advantage when you are working overseas as it can help you find a job as a Professional Driver or simply use it for personal convenience.

For enquiry or if you want to get a valid International Driving license in Nigeria, at cheaper price and free home delivery.
+2348032285161, +2348092566361
Info.ezylinked@gmail.com
Info@ezylinkage.com
Re: How Much Does It Actually Cost To Get A Drivers License In Nigeria? by Damalex4luv(m): 8:10pm On Dec 18, 2018
kuss:
I went to do drovers licence at ikeja license office at old secretariat on Thursday
After paying the official 6k online the people at the license office insisted i pay additional two thousand five hundred before my form could be signed
The funniest thing is that the 2k5 was not receipted
Even the people at vio office collected 1500 to for the test that is suppose to be free
The only people that are clean in that secretariat are the road safty
They do capturing for you without collecting a dame from u
Thank God i was able to do capturing and collected temporal drivers licence same day
Plz how much did you spend overall and where is their office in ikeja
Re: How Much Does It Actually Cost To Get A Drivers License In Nigeria? by KubwaBoy: 9:49pm On Apr 18, 2019
jazzyjazz:
In Abuja a fresh license is 10,450 for 5 years validity and 6,450 for 3 years validity

need one bro. am in Abuja
Re: How Much Does It Actually Cost To Get A Drivers License In Nigeria? by KubwaBoy: 9:52pm On Apr 18, 2019
Mac05:

So where did you finally go? I need one urgently too. Am in Abuja
Re: How Much Does It Actually Cost To Get A Drivers License In Nigeria? by jazzyjazz: 11:06pm On Apr 18, 2019
KubwaBoy:

need one bro. am in Abuja

I'm a female and sorry I dont do license for people. I was only stating the official frsc cost
Re: How Much Does It Actually Cost To Get A Drivers License In Nigeria? by Mac05(m): 6:27pm On Jun 27, 2019
KubwaBoy:
So where did you finally go? I need one urgently too. Am in Abuja
Zone 7 close to NAFDAC
Re: How Much Does It Actually Cost To Get A Drivers License In Nigeria? by avicky(f): 4:46am On Jul 18, 2019
mowaaa:
8,350 naira is what I paid in total for renewal

Process
Went to the official drivers license website
Filled it and I chose renewal for 3 years
I chose the option not to be re-captured ( my fingerprints are still the same)

Was told on the site total fee is 6,350 for 3 years
Chose to pay at the bank

Note when you pay at the bank, they will give you a drivers license "validation number "( very important)

Went to FRSC ojo office ( it's inside ojo local government)

First went to the Board of internal revenue office....they gave me a form to manually fill and attach 2 passport A total waste because those information sought was already filled online

Demanded 500 with a straight face without any receipt ofcourse ( first case of corruption)

Submitted the completed form with the online form + validation number receipt and passport photos after I had made photocopies.....after this, this was were the almost endless wait began.
Took over 2 hours before I was called to come pickup the signed forms

Then was asked to proceed to VIO office ( still inside the ojo local government).
"Bros you are welcome" was the greeting before the "you'll pay 1k"
I asked what the payment was for?
Gibberish answers about how everyone was else has paid
I told them but I thought it was just those who applied for the first time that needed to pay.
They said for new applicants, they charge 2k
Ofcourse after I paid the 1k, no receipt was given(2nd case of corruption)
Great thing about the VIO was that the process was fast! In few mins, forms had been returned signed

Then proceeded to FRSC office.
You'll pay 500 naira was the first response after looking at my form.
The officer could see in my face I was wondering what the payment was and he came with this crap of how he tells people that immigration office charges way for the international passport than the official price

Paid and I wasn't given a receipt either.
Told to come back next day for recapture.
I told him when I filled the form online I chose not to recapture. He checked the system, confirmed I chose not to recapture and gave me the signed forms and said I should wait for an SMS telling me to come pickup my driver's license when it's ready

The forms will have to be in the car incase I ever get stopped by FRSC / police/lastma/vio while driving

So there you have it
Govt coffers: 6,350
Corrupt coffers: 2,000

Total : 8,350

Please did you go with any driving school cert?

2 Likes

Re: How Much Does It Actually Cost To Get A Drivers License In Nigeria? by evergreen9: 6:39am On Jul 31, 2019
Hey guys, I am in Lagos and I am interested in getting my drivers license, the actual drivers license not the temporary one! I need a fresh one not renewal, how do I go about this and what would be the cost if I want to get it quickly ( can't do the 90 days wait)
Re: How Much Does It Actually Cost To Get A Drivers License In Nigeria? by MDDarah84(m): 8:23pm On Sep 11, 2019
Please how much is the new registration done in Ibadan?

(1) (2) (3) (4) (Reply)

The Parking Lot At The American University Of Dubai! (Pictures) / Tesla Car With Hilarious Number Plate In Lagos TRENDING, IVM JOINED / InnosonMotors CEO Drives Foreign SUVs But Wants Us To Buy His Cars

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 61
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.