Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,152,816 members, 7,817,376 topics. Date: Saturday, 04 May 2024 at 11:12 AM

How Much Does It Actually Cost To Get A Drivers License In Nigeria? - Car Talk (2) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Car Talk / How Much Does It Actually Cost To Get A Drivers License In Nigeria? (61597 Views)

What Are The Issues Associated With Obtaining A Drivers License In Nigeria? / FRSC Sets Deadline For Number Plates Violation, Drivers License / How much does it cost to renew car papers in your state - 2019 (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: How Much Does It Actually Cost To Get A Drivers License In Nigeria? by miketayo(m): 1:08pm On Feb 27, 2018
I paid around 10k
Re: How Much Does It Actually Cost To Get A Drivers License In Nigeria? by austineaddy: 1:08pm On Feb 27, 2018
eherbal:
Git mine 15k nearly 3yrs ago.itll be expiring in July.im applying online this time around . Not gonna be fleeced grin

How do I apply online? mine is expiring in August
Re: How Much Does It Actually Cost To Get A Drivers License In Nigeria? by kuss: 1:09pm On Feb 27, 2018
Re: How Much Does It Actually Cost To Get A Drivers License In Nigeria? by Emmanueleyo(m): 1:10pm On Feb 27, 2018
You can apply for a renewal urself online pretty easy then make sure you print the form and take it to their office after making payment to the designated bank. By doing this you will save urself money. Those Frsc staffs frown at people who do this but do it anyways because it’s legal.

6 Likes

Re: How Much Does It Actually Cost To Get A Drivers License In Nigeria? by bedfordking: 1:17pm On Feb 27, 2018
I paid 20k and got in 2 days
Re: How Much Does It Actually Cost To Get A Drivers License In Nigeria? by ADRIAN88(m): 1:20pm On Feb 27, 2018
Houseofglam7:
It costs an arm, a leg and an eyeball

Houseofglam7, Drivers license, not Ritualists license, it can't be that bad!

1 Like

Re: How Much Does It Actually Cost To Get A Drivers License In Nigeria? by ADRIAN88(m): 1:22pm On Feb 27, 2018
dumo1:
I paid clean 30k for mine..

How long did it take to get it Dumo1?
Re: How Much Does It Actually Cost To Get A Drivers License In Nigeria? by maballack(m): 1:31pm On Feb 27, 2018
and how much does it cost for a renewal , or is a renewal the same price as getting a freshly new one
Re: How Much Does It Actually Cost To Get A Drivers License In Nigeria? by jhydebaba(m): 1:42pm On Feb 27, 2018
When I wanted to get one, I went to an FRSC office. There was an official in uniform who was supposed to open the door for me to gain entrance rather he demanded what I was doing there. I told him I wanted to get a licence, he said it will cost me 23000. He gave me his number. I never look back cheesy.

After that, I was looking for cheap card so I was introduced to two different middlemen who charged 25000.

I give on naija.
Re: How Much Does It Actually Cost To Get A Drivers License In Nigeria? by bibe(m): 1:52pm On Feb 27, 2018
I have successfully renewed my license twice for #6350.
Basically the charge is #6000 for 3 years license and #10000 for 5 years license, with additional #350 bank charge in both cases. Renewed first time in Abuja and second time in Abakaliki.

You can actually do this yourself totally by going online, filling the form in their website, making payment at the bank and proceeding to their office with the forms for further processing. If you opted for recapturing, then you'll be recaptured at their office. However, ensure you know your road signs as you'll be tested by VIO office. If you don't pass this test you'll be charged some amount I think it is #1500 and you'll be issued with a CD and a small pamphlet containing road signs and their meaning and will be rescheduled for the test. You'll be issued with a temporary license and will receive an SMS to come collect your licence when it is ready (usually within 60-90 days).

The problem is people always resort to hearsay and are always in a haste and that's why the get ripped off. Please stop encouraging the rot in the system and use the official channels to get your licence.

PS: I also got my first passport the same way. Didn't pay any extra money, went to their website, filled the form, paid the fee and went to the immigration office.

Cheers.

14 Likes 1 Share

Re: How Much Does It Actually Cost To Get A Drivers License In Nigeria? by bibe(m): 1:57pm On Feb 27, 2018
jhydebaba:
When I wanted to get one, I went to an FRSC office. There was an official in uniform who was supposed to open the door for me to gain entrance rather he demanded what I was doing there. I told him I wanted to get a licence, he said it will cost me 23000. He gave me his number. I never look back cheesy.

After that, I was looking for cheap card so I was introduced to two different middlemen who charged 25000.

I give on naija.

If it's renewal you want to do, go online and renew. If it's new licence you are applying for, it's still the same fee however, you are now required to go for driving lessons and most provide a certificate from a driving school before you'll be issued a licence (3yrs licence is #6350 and 5yrs is #10350. Most driving schools charge about #10000-15000)
Just look for an accredited driving school, do your lessons get your certificate, go online on frsc website and fill your form, proceed to the bank to pay and then go with all the credentials to the frsc office you indicated when applying online for further processing.

1 Like

Re: How Much Does It Actually Cost To Get A Drivers License In Nigeria? by Assassin101: 2:01pm On Feb 27, 2018
a clit is not among the costs?
Houseofglam7:
It costs an arm, a leg and an eyeball
Re: How Much Does It Actually Cost To Get A Drivers License In Nigeria? by bibe(m): 2:07pm On Feb 27, 2018
maballack:
and how much does it cost for a renewal , or is a renewal the same price as getting a freshly new one

Whether new or renewal, the cost is the same. However due to new regulations, if it's the first time you are applying for licence, then you must tender a certificate from a recognised driving school. That's the only bottleneck between getting a new licence and renewing an expired one.

2 Likes

Re: How Much Does It Actually Cost To Get A Drivers License In Nigeria? by 9jaArea: 2:08pm On Feb 27, 2018
KrystosCJ:
Why can't I apply and PAY for the DL online and have it delivered to my doorstep or, better still, pick it up at any designated FRSC or MVAA office in the state I registered?

Is the word innovation missing from the dictionary of FG institutions? If automation is judiciously implemented all these middle men profiting off the side will diminish and die off.
YOu can apply for a DL and pay online the choice is yours

1 Like

Re: How Much Does It Actually Cost To Get A Drivers License In Nigeria? by Edipee(m): 2:22pm On Feb 27, 2018
bibe:

If it's renewal you want to do, go online and renew. If it's new licence you are applying for, it's still the same fee however, you are now required to go for driving lessons and most provide a certificate from a driving school before you'll be issued a licence (3yrs licence is #6350 and 5yrs is #10350. Most driving schools charge about #10000-15000)
Just look for an accredited driving school, do your lessons get your certificate, go online on frsc website and fill your form, proceed to the bank to pay and then go with all the credentials to the frsc office you indicated when applying online for further processing.
What if you learn driving without enrolling in driving school? And how can one know an accredited driving school?
Can you recommend one at Mile 4, Port Harcourt? Thank you.
Re: How Much Does It Actually Cost To Get A Drivers License In Nigeria? by KrystosCJ(m): 2:24pm On Feb 27, 2018
9jaArea:

YOu can apply for a DL and pay online the choice is yours

Did you read the other part of my question? Of course I can apply for it online, but is the process transparent and consistent as it should be?
Re: How Much Does It Actually Cost To Get A Drivers License In Nigeria? by Sajio(m): 2:27pm On Feb 27, 2018
AutoJoshNIG:
How much does it actually cost to get a Driver’s license in Nigeria?

This is one question that you never get a single answer to.

Different answers are offered by different individuals. The amounts expressed are often between N18, 000 to N28, 0000. Or sometimes, even more.

Yet, the Federal Road Safety Corps (FRSC) - the agency saddled with the responsibility of issuing driver’s license in Nigeria - maintains that it cost N6, 300 to obtain a fresh one.

To many Nigerians, the reality of a N6, 300 fee for a driver’s license only exist in the imagination of the FRSC.

In fairness, some Nigerians admitted that the FRSC account might actually be the case. These set of Nigerians agree that N6, 300 is the actual amount paid to procure a driver’s license.

However, according to them, taxes and other charges, like bank commissions, etc., often add up to increase the amount spent by applicants to be in the region of N10, 200.

Then there is the extremely complicated and tedious process of obtaining the driver’s license.

It is the very cumbersome process of obtaining the license that often inspire applicants to outsource the procurement process to intermediaries or touts. These intermediaries and touts are the ones who often drive up the entire cost of procuring the license to as much as N25, 000 to N28, 0000.

Over the years, and despite the outcries about how strenuous the driver’s license procurement process is, only lip service – by the issuing authorities -  has been paid to simplify the process or to make it less cumbersome.

For instance, what is the rationale for waiting for 90 days - 180 days before a driver’s license is issued to applicants?

Why does it have to take that long to obtain a tacky and basic card that does not have a microchip embedded on it like ATM cards and SIM Cards?

Also, why is it necessary for an applicant to sacrifice a whole day for “capturing”?

Or is it that there are individuals who are enormously benefiting from the tedious process of obtaining a driver’s license in Nigeria.

Are the bottlenecks experience during the process of obtaining a driver’s license in Nigeria deliberate?

Perhaps, these bottlenecks were deliberately instituted with the intention of frustrating applicants to the point where they would gladly pay extra to middlemen in order to procure licenses.  And of course, these middlemen are believed to be proxies of staff of the issuing authority.

Clearly, this is one sector where the government needs to focus its anti-corruption crusade on.

Tell us how much you paid for your drivers license in the comment section below. 

https://autojosh.com/much-cost-get-drivers-license-nigeria/

. Mhen 9ja matter tire me. This is a country where anytin goes... uptil now have not been able to get my wives original drivers license they keep giving out temporary laminated paper anytin time we go for re-newer after paying 18k. I still do not know how our government would be able to correct things like this cos it has gotten so deep.
Re: How Much Does It Actually Cost To Get A Drivers License In Nigeria? by majamajic(m): 2:46pm On Feb 27, 2018
kuss:
I went to do drovers licence at ikeja license office at old secretariat on Thursday
After paying the official 6k online the people at the license office insisted i pay additional two thousand five hundred before my form could be signed
The funniest thing is that the 2k5 was not receipted
Even the people at vio office collected 1500 to for the test that is suppose to be free
The only people that are clean in that secretariat are the road safty
They do capturing for you without collecting a dame from u
Thank God i was able to do capturing and collected temporal drivers licence same day

so bros u spent around 10k to get it at ikeja old secretariat ?
Re: How Much Does It Actually Cost To Get A Drivers License In Nigeria? by bibe(m): 3:08pm On Feb 27, 2018
Edipee:
What if you learn driving without enrolling in driving school? And how can one know an accredited driving school?
Can you recommend one at Mile 4, Port Harcourt? Thank you.

The issue is that you must tender a driving certificate due to a recent regulation. So even if you learnt to drive without going for driving lessons, you are still required to tender a certificate which is where a driving school comes in.

I don't stay in PH however, you can do a quick Google for driving schools around mile 4 I'm sure you'll get some good results. You can also visit the nearest ones around you and inquire if they are accredited by FRSC (normally they should have their accreditation certificate framed and on display).

Cheers.

2 Likes

Re: How Much Does It Actually Cost To Get A Drivers License In Nigeria? by adewumz: 3:11pm On Feb 27, 2018
I paid 28k for a new license. The incompetent official that did my capture seemed more interested in my address and relationship status than any other thing. Eventually, he made a mistake and the temporary one issued had motorcycle on it instead of private. He then told me that it can't be changed because it had been sent and that I will have to wait till the permanent one is issued, then it can be sent back to be corrected. This means I have to wait for a very long time. I can't wait to leave this country.

2 Likes

Re: How Much Does It Actually Cost To Get A Drivers License In Nigeria? by Nobody: 3:12pm On Feb 27, 2018
kuss:
I went to do drovers licence at ikeja license office at old secretariat on Thursday
After paying the official 6k online the people at the license office insisted i pay additional two thousand five hundred before my form could be signed
Even the people at vio office collected 1500 to for the test that is suppose to be free
Thank God i was able to do capturing and collected temporal drivers licence same day

Nice. So what is the total you spent?
Re: How Much Does It Actually Cost To Get A Drivers License In Nigeria? by 9jaArea: 3:21pm On Feb 27, 2018
KrystosCJ:

Did you read the other part of my question? Of course I can apply for it online, but is the process transparent and consistent as it should be?
The driver's licence is one of the best systems currently in the country, only second to the Banking sector.
The BVN cannot even compare not to talk of the shabby thing called NIN.
DL project is well structured to ease the process of application and properly managed to meet international best practices, if Nigerians (officials) are cutting corners the normal way our society have come to accept, then the fault is with the people not the system.

2 Likes

Re: How Much Does It Actually Cost To Get A Drivers License In Nigeria? by Edipee(m): 3:27pm On Feb 27, 2018
bibe:

The issue is that you must tender a driving certificate due to a recent regulation. So even if you learnt to drive without going for driving lessons, you are still required to tender a certificate which is where a driving school comes in.

I don't stay in PH however, you can do a quick Google for driving schools around mile 4 I'm sure you'll get some good results. You can also visit the nearest ones around you and inquire if they are accredited by FRSC (normally they should have their accreditation certificate framed and on display).

Cheers.
This really helps. Thank you.

1 Like

Re: How Much Does It Actually Cost To Get A Drivers License In Nigeria? by descrisom(m): 3:33pm On Feb 27, 2018
Recently, got my own at estimation of 32k..
Actually, i didn't attend anything...
Just last day i went to collect the temporary 2months
Was when i did the eye test and the guy that signed my
form test me for 5mins..
Then i did the capturing and collected it.
Re: How Much Does It Actually Cost To Get A Drivers License In Nigeria? by Elanqy: 3:44pm On Feb 27, 2018
jhydebaba:

I give on naija.
Re: How Much Does It Actually Cost To Get A Drivers License In Nigeria? by kuss: 3:56pm On Feb 27, 2018
majamajic:

so bros u spent around 10k to get it at ikeja old secretariat ?

Yeah, that's because i already have the driving school certificate
Re: How Much Does It Actually Cost To Get A Drivers License In Nigeria? by vroy(m): 3:58pm On Feb 27, 2018
mine na 18k for 5yrs n since last year sef na one photocopy dem gve me dem tok say original Neva out
Re: How Much Does It Actually Cost To Get A Drivers License In Nigeria? by jazzyjazz: 4:13pm On Feb 27, 2018
In Abuja a fresh license is 10,450 for 5 years validity and 6,450 for 3 years validity

2 Likes

Re: How Much Does It Actually Cost To Get A Drivers License In Nigeria? by eherbal(m): 4:52pm On Feb 27, 2018
austineaddy:

How do I apply online? mine is expiring in August
go to their online portal.its self explanatory there
Re: How Much Does It Actually Cost To Get A Drivers License In Nigeria? by suco01(m): 4:58pm On Feb 27, 2018
kuss:

Did u have license before or new
Re: How Much Does It Actually Cost To Get A Drivers License In Nigeria? by Blue3k(m): 5:27pm On Feb 27, 2018
Wow the country is broken. Why on earth would it take over 2 weeks to send you a plastic card. Everyone in comment section posting different prices like it's a market good. I've been wanting to get drivers licence but I don't want to pay 36k for it.
Re: How Much Does It Actually Cost To Get A Drivers License In Nigeria? by Houseofglam7(f): 5:40pm On Feb 27, 2018
ADRIAN88:

Houseofglam7, Drivers license, not Ritualists license, it can't be that bad!

grin

1 Like

(1) (2) (3) (4) (Reply)

The Parking Lot At The American University Of Dubai! (Pictures) / Tesla Car With Hilarious Number Plate In Lagos TRENDING, IVM JOINED / InnosonMotors CEO Drives Foreign SUVs But Wants Us To Buy His Cars

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 79
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.