Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,153,755 members, 7,820,619 topics. Date: Tuesday, 07 May 2024 at 06:22 PM

How To Reject An Employment Offer After Initially Accepting It - Jobs/Vacancies (2) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Jobs/Vacancies / How To Reject An Employment Offer After Initially Accepting It (11526 Views)

60K Job Offer after 5,000 Applications and 2 Interviews | What Would YOU do? / Graduate Trainee: Should I Take This Employment Offer? / When Did You Get A Job Offer After An Interview? (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: How To Reject An Employment Offer After Initially Accepting It by Donelli: 5:03pm On Feb 27, 2018
Holoou:
Dear NLanders,
Pls help a brother. How is the best possible way to reject an employment offer after initially accepting it. I have to reject it because after I tendered my resignation in my present place of work, I was given a promotion to match the employment offer I got.
Thanks

You are in a better position to decide which you think will be in your best interest.

If it takes your resignation for your company to give you a promotion it means they don't value you that much, just using you for what you can offer (unless you're not due for promotion in the first place).

If you are comfortable and satisfied with your current company... STAY

If you need a fresh exposure... MOVE

You can never be sure what life will be like in the new company unless you are willing to risk it, but note however, that you might be walking a tight rope now because your current company now knows you have "eyes" outside. Any small kpakam you're out.

Explain to the new company in written form that you have been offered another role in your current company which fits into your career aspirations and you have decided to take it up. Thank them for their trust in your capability and state that you are open to be considered for other opportunities in the future.

Just Donelli wink

3 Likes

Re: How To Reject An Employment Offer After Initially Accepting It by Babaneh(m): 5:07pm On Feb 27, 2018
HELLO BROTHER..
you better get the hell outta that useless company of yours and gladly embrace the new one..
you are already loosing your value ooo..

if u like no hear...Na u sabi

3 Likes

Re: How To Reject An Employment Offer After Initially Accepting It by Nobody: 5:09pm On Feb 27, 2018
Fadalawdd.. its a hussling world

Ikemefuna44:

OP, God bless. Please kindly recommend me to the company whose job you are rejecting. I am dynamic, and I have a stellar CV.
Contact me at 08039153177.
God bless you as you do so!
Re: How To Reject An Employment Offer After Initially Accepting It by forreelinc(m): 5:11pm On Feb 27, 2018
emmabest2000:

So this is your running strategies right?
before nko no time
Re: How To Reject An Employment Offer After Initially Accepting It by Razak5(m): 5:12pm On Feb 27, 2018
thesicilian:
I used to have a former employer who was in the habit of promoting anyone who tendered a resignation letter. He would match and even exceed the offer from the new job, and when he's doubly sure your position at the new place must have been filled, he'd sack you with immediate effect!
I almost fell into the same trap if not for the timely manner in which I got this information.

... And why do some "bosses" act like that though?
Re: How To Reject An Employment Offer After Initially Accepting It by san316(m): 5:27pm On Feb 27, 2018
OP thank your stars. You already made up your mind to stay and looking for a polite way to let ur new employers know. However, you got something better and i think u should take it. Move to your new job because your current employer will have their eyes on u.

Hearken to the voice of wisdom

2 Likes

Re: How To Reject An Employment Offer After Initially Accepting It by henryhemon(m): 5:29pm On Feb 27, 2018
Ikemefuna44:

OP, God bless. Please kindly recommend me to the company whose job you are rejecting. I am dynamic, and I have a stellar CV.
Contact me at 08039153177.
God bless you as you do so!

Stellar C.v indeed
Re: How To Reject An Employment Offer After Initially Accepting It by cpu2006(m): 5:36pm On Feb 27, 2018
never mind the new job. they can sack you anytime if you work with them. YORUBA PROVEB SAYS 'ESU TI EYAN TI MO TIPE SAN JU EYI TI EYAN SESE MON LO'. check your dictionary for the proverb so u can understand what I said
Re: How To Reject An Employment Offer After Initially Accepting It by cpu2006(m): 5:38pm On Feb 27, 2018
never mind the new job. they can sack you anytime if you work with them. YORUBA PROVEB SAYS 'ESU TI EYAN TI MO TIPE SAN JU EYI TI EYAN SESE MON LO'. check your dictionary for the proverb so u can understand what I said smiley
Re: How To Reject An Employment Offer After Initially Accepting It by AZeD1(m): 5:58pm On Feb 27, 2018
Holoou:
Dear NLanders,
Pls help a brother. How is the best possible way to reject an employment offer after initially accepting it. I have to reject it because after I tendered my resignation in my present place of work, I was given a promotion to match the employment offer I got.
Thanks
Unless you work for a multinational, run from your old place.

If you stay at your old place, expect the organisation to send someone to understudy you and be prepared to be discarded the moment they get the opportunity to do som
Re: How To Reject An Employment Offer After Initially Accepting It by Holoou: 6:06pm On Feb 27, 2018
Donelli:

You are in a better position to decide which you think will be in your best interest.

If it takes your resignation for your company to give you a promotion it means they don't value you that much, just using you for what you can offer (unless you're not due for promotion in the first place).

If you are comfortable and satisfied with your current company... STAY

If you need a fresh exposure... MOVE

You can never be sure what life will be like in the new company unless you are willing to risk it, but note however, that you might be walking a tight rope now because your current company now knows you have "eyes" outside. Any small kpakam you're out.

Explain to the new company in written form that you have been offered another role in your current company which fits into your career aspirations and you have decided to take it up. Thank them for their trust in your capability and state that you are open to be considered for other opportunities in the future.

Just Donelli wink
Best comment so far...I wasn't due for promotion yet. Now instead of assigning someone ti understudy me, i have additional responsibilities
Re: How To Reject An Employment Offer After Initially Accepting It by Talkingboy: 6:06pm On Feb 27, 2018
It is very risky to stay OP.

Do not ever stay after tendering ur resignation letter . They'll directly or indirectly punish you later (except you have some badass skills that cannot easily be found)

Yoruba will say Ibi toba kiwon podaro , Ma kiwon ekaaro mo ...

Use ur brain OP, Move on to d new coy ....
Re: How To Reject An Employment Offer After Initially Accepting It by Babacool100(m): 6:16pm On Feb 27, 2018
Wow. I also find myself in dis kind of mess, but honestly I left the old company to the new one and it really pays me. Guy, my advise kindly move on to the new company. The old company might be cooking something serious. My Opinion though.
Re: How To Reject An Employment Offer After Initially Accepting It by Holoou: 6:38pm On Feb 27, 2018
Talkingboy:

It is very risky to stay OP.

Do not ever stay after tendering ur resignation letter . They'll directly or indirectly punish you later (except you have some badass skills that cannot easily be found)

Yoruba will say Ibi toba kiwon podaro , Ma kiwon ekaaro mo ...

Use ur brain OP, Move on to d new coy ....
U getting it all wrong. I ddnt resign. My manager only heard i got another offer and went to tell d MD, who den vetoed a promotion
Re: How To Reject An Employment Offer After Initially Accepting It by emmasege: 7:06pm On Feb 27, 2018
Holoou:

Best comment so far...I wasn't due for promotion yet. Now instead of assigning someone ti understudy me, i have additional responsibilities
Apparently, your mind is made up to stick to your current job. Except if there's something you are not telling us, your current employer is waiting for a perfect opportunity to 'get' you. The promotion offered you might just be a bait and if the scenario is as you made us believe, I hope you wouldn't have shot yourself in the foot @ the end of the day.

Remember, in the multitude of counsel there's safety. May God guide you aright.

1 Like

Re: How To Reject An Employment Offer After Initially Accepting It by spiralwedge(m): 7:07pm On Feb 27, 2018
Holoou:
Dear NLanders,
Thanks

Dont reject the new offer. Trust me that you would soon be disposed or punished for daring to resign at your present place.
You are not appreciated there and you were supposed to be used and dumped. But they are irked that you wanted to play smart. So they will start planning your exit.
Go for the new job. They most likely will appreciate you. The only thing is that there's uncertainty with a new job, but you can overcome that by proving yourself which can make them appreciate you more. You don't need to prove anything in your current place and that may be bad, because there won't be another promotion.
Re: How To Reject An Employment Offer After Initially Accepting It by onomskielala: 7:09pm On Feb 27, 2018
Simple, just take your promotion letter to the new company as a bait for another upgrade.
If they hype your pay fine if not, fine.
But please don't remain in the old job because they will so mess you up after a while ant that will not be good for tour resume.

1 Like

Re: How To Reject An Employment Offer After Initially Accepting It by yorex2011: 7:09pm On Feb 27, 2018
OP i hope you have learnt here o... Once your mind and heart is out of somewhere, then nothing should change your mind o..

You're better off at the new place

1 Like

Re: How To Reject An Employment Offer After Initially Accepting It by emmasege: 7:11pm On Feb 27, 2018
Holoou:
Dear NLanders,
Thanks
You just told someone you didn't tender your resignation (see below). Why are you so controversial and incoherent? The more reason your current employer will disengage you after you must have rejected the new offer. You are dishonest and not straight forward. Who wants to keep such an employee.
Re: How To Reject An Employment Offer After Initially Accepting It by emmasege: 7:13pm On Feb 27, 2018
Holoou:

U getting it all wrong. I ddnt resign. My manager only heard i got another offer and went to tell d MD, who den vetoed a promotion
Here's your incoherence and dishonesty

1 Like

Re: How To Reject An Employment Offer After Initially Accepting It by Holoou: 7:26pm On Feb 27, 2018
emmasege:
Here's your incoherence and dishonesty
Thank you guys. I've left for the new company
Re: How To Reject An Employment Offer After Initially Accepting It by yourstar: 7:56pm On Feb 27, 2018
Guy abeg wetin be the name of the company make I go collect ur seat Jare�
Re: How To Reject An Employment Offer After Initially Accepting It by Pentools(m): 7:59pm On Feb 27, 2018
Op I was once in your shoe while working for someone. Just do checks n balances regarding the financial n growth benefits...growth regarding your personal development and career aspirations, then go for the one that fits.

If the current company fits stay back be fearless of them getting back at you,once you know your worth and what you can offer even if they sack u later on, it won't take much time u will land yourself a better job.

However never ignore or show attitude to the new one if you eventually settle for the current job. simply tell them you are going for a few months course that you know will really be of greater heights for you and any company you pick to work for that they should please give you time,I believe they would bulge once they are goal oriented. For me that was the exact thing I did, when the older employer started acting up towards me probably because I stayed back and stuff I just bolted. Wrote back to the initial company and that was it....miss those rich_slave days....We Kinging now(Entrepreneurship Rocks)
Re: How To Reject An Employment Offer After Initially Accepting It by jrex(m): 8:11pm On Feb 27, 2018
Brother, I don't think it will be right for you to retrieve your resignation letter.
Re: How To Reject An Employment Offer After Initially Accepting It by frank043(m): 9:14pm On Feb 27, 2018
Holoou:
Dear NLanders,
Thanks

Take it from me, your firm will sack you in no time! All they are doing is to help you reject your new job, so that when they sack you, you will feel the heat that you lost on both ends.

Most firms don't like it when staff have the effontery to resign.

I resigned sometime in the past and stood my ground despite the juicy offers made. I have never for a day regretted making that decision. Yeye people!!!
Re: How To Reject An Employment Offer After Initially Accepting It by sleem2017(m): 10:18pm On Feb 27, 2018
My own opinion
Don't you think ur current place of work just want to used dat promotion to tied you down and later fire you when they discover that you av rejected that new offer because they will surely know dat before you dropped ur letter of resignation u must av got another offer.
Brother think well it might be test of fire at the end. Shikena!!!!!!!!!!!!
Re: How To Reject An Employment Offer After Initially Accepting It by Mojir(f): 12:00am On Feb 28, 2018
Why is it that it was after you tendered your resignation letter, your present employer deemed it fit to promote you? My dear shine your eyes, though depending on the kind of employer, they might just do that to keep you for the mean time while they get a replacement for you, knowing fully well for you to tender your resignation your mind is out of the job.
Re: How To Reject An Employment Offer After Initially Accepting It by Burgerlomo: 5:24am On Feb 28, 2018
Naturalobserver:
They gave u promotion to match the new job cuz they want you to stay..Defintely they need you cuz of what you can offer.So call those in charge of the new one and tell them exactly what happened,in future they will gladly accept you if there is vacancy cuz they sure will know for your current company to promote you,you gat substance ..But if you just neglect them,your face or your name might be marked and tagged unserious and irresponsible.

(1) (2) (Reply)

2016-2017 Shell/petan Graduate Internship Programme / How Do I Opt Out Of N-power / UAC. Recruitment

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 45
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.