Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,151,266 members, 7,811,759 topics. Date: Sunday, 28 April 2024 at 06:59 PM

60K Job Offer after 5,000 Applications and 2 Interviews | What Would YOU do? - Jobs/Vacancies - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Jobs/Vacancies / 60K Job Offer after 5,000 Applications and 2 Interviews | What Would YOU do? (13769 Views)

Portal Shut As Kwara Garment Factory Gets Over 8,000 Applications In 48 Hours / I Want To Start Preparing For Interviews, What Questions Should I Expect? / When Did You Get A Job Offer After An Interview? (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (Reply) (Go Down)

60K Job Offer after 5,000 Applications and 2 Interviews | What Would YOU do? by Dimaya: 12:50pm On Jul 20, 2023
When Yemi, 27, a recent biochemistry graduate was laid off in February of the covid 19 crisis, he was still reading motivational books. What he didn't realize was that he was going to spend the next 6 to 12 months applying for a new job.

Everyday threafter, Yemi woke up at 6am, brushed his teeth, took his bath and ate a light breakfast of eggs and sliced bread. At 8am, he would dutifully log into job portals (indeed, my jobmag etc) and proceed to read at least 200 calls for applications. From 9am till 9pm, he would format his CV to each application's call and draft a quick cover letter. At the day's end, he would have sent out 40 job applications.

By August, Yemi had applied for over five thousand jobs and only got two invitations to interview. The first was a marketing job. The second was a supervisor position with a restaurant chain in Lagos. Over 4000 people showed up for the interview meant to hire just three supervisors. The role paid 60,000 naira per month with work hours being 6:30 mornings till 9:30 at night, Monday's till Saturday.

In this video: the craziest job stories you've never heard, Yemi and 14 other recent Nigerian graduates share their hilarious, thought-provoking experiences applying for jobs, dodging job scams, escaping kidnappers, receiving low-ball offers and managing the insults/frustrations from family members when you're jobless.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rdbg7Xqg1cQ

If you're a job-seeker, you're not alone.
Please watch the video, laugh a little, and subscribe to the channel.

It will get better.

14 Likes 1 Share

Re: 60K Job Offer after 5,000 Applications and 2 Interviews | What Would YOU do? by Dimaya: 1:13pm On Jul 20, 2023
It definitely gets better

2 Likes

Re: 60K Job Offer after 5,000 Applications and 2 Interviews | What Would YOU do? by lavylilly: 5:16pm On Jul 20, 2023
Did you know??

Months that begin on a Sunday will always have a 'Friday the 13th'.

24 Likes 2 Shares

Re: 60K Job Offer after 5,000 Applications and 2 Interviews | What Would YOU do? by Dimaya: 6:25pm On Jul 20, 2023
lavylilly:
Did you know??

Months that begin on a Sunday will always have a 'Friday the 13th'.

That's mathematics

40 Likes 3 Shares

Re: 60K Job Offer after 5,000 Applications and 2 Interviews | What Would YOU do? by Dimaya: 7:13am On Jul 21, 2023
Great day to be alive.

3 Likes

Re: 60K Job Offer after 5,000 Applications and 2 Interviews | What Would YOU do? by Zigzagman: 12:15pm On Jul 21, 2023
you fight for it
Re: 60K Job Offer after 5,000 Applications and 2 Interviews | What Would YOU do? by ideamonster: 12:28pm On Jul 21, 2023
right now, you take any job you can grab o

2 Likes 1 Share

Re: 60K Job Offer after 5,000 Applications and 2 Interviews | What Would YOU do? by OboOlora(f): 12:46pm On Jul 21, 2023
60k?
Roughly $60 for a month?
The job will favour you and your family oh

32 Likes 2 Shares

Re: 60K Job Offer after 5,000 Applications and 2 Interviews | What Would YOU do? by eepeepook: 12:47pm On Jul 21, 2023
He should pass it to someone else if he's unserious about it.
Re: 60K Job Offer after 5,000 Applications and 2 Interviews | What Would YOU do? by sofiscatedmoron: 12:47pm On Jul 21, 2023
Go and hustle agbo jedi
Or go and be shouting Owo da
Like af onj a people

5 Likes

Re: 60K Job Offer after 5,000 Applications and 2 Interviews | What Would YOU do? by kokoBoii: 12:47pm On Jul 21, 2023
Dimaya:

That's mathematics
How's that mathematics?
Re: 60K Job Offer after 5,000 Applications and 2 Interviews | What Would YOU do? by Brendaniel: 12:48pm On Jul 21, 2023
I laugh when I see people defending the present Nigerian government with all the damage they are busy doing and saying things like do you know how much fuel is in America or Canada?
Do you know the amount of tax they pay?

The question to ask them back is

do you know how much minimum wage is in those countries too?

Do you know how good their taxes paid work for them ?

Do you know the low unemployment rates in those countries?

I might write a book about Africa then concentrate on Nigeria specifically, these past few of years of my Nigerian experience I feel kind of showed me why Africa didn't develop as fast as how the western world developed till they came and started colonizing Africa, even till date see what some people here are using as yardstick to pick their leaders, they use tribe, religion, bribery propaganda and so on...

21 Likes 2 Shares

Re: 60K Job Offer after 5,000 Applications and 2 Interviews | What Would YOU do? by Basicend: 12:48pm On Jul 21, 2023
Just about 10 years ago. . Entry level jobs in intercontinental bank, diamond bank, GT Bank, Virgin Nigeria, Unilever was as high as #185,000 - #200,000 after training schools.

Those days, an entry level staff could easily buy a very 2nd-hand or cheap brand new car. .

Today, most entry level jobs are contractual and the pay is around #70,000. . In a hyping inflation besieged economy.

Today. . Most of them can't even pay house rent.

How did we get ourselves to this level?

62 Likes 6 Shares

Re: 60K Job Offer after 5,000 Applications and 2 Interviews | What Would YOU do? by chuose2: 12:49pm On Jul 21, 2023
vvv
Re: 60K Job Offer after 5,000 Applications and 2 Interviews | What Would YOU do? by MITCHELL96: 12:49pm On Jul 21, 2023
I can never work for anybody to earn peanut.

I've always told myself that I'll be a creator of something and will rather employ people instead.

It's when you don't realize your worth and capabilities, that's when you settle for less.

I remember when Dinero told me back in 2017 "Mitchell, I can never work for someone to get paid 12 times in a year"

Dinero now has a Benz, Ferrari and is now living outside Nigeria with multiple assets to his name.

I'll recommend this few books I've read to help build your mindset and mentality (don't joke with it)

1. 48 laws of power by Robert Greene
2. Rich dad poor dad by Robert Kiyosaki
3. One Truth, One Law: I Am, I Create By Erin Werley
4. Declutter your mind by SJ Scott.
5. Do it today by Darius Foroux
6. The psychology of money by Morgan Housel

These are the ones I have in PDF format and I'm not charging anybody for it. The ones I have as hard copy aren't listed here since it will be hard for you guys to get it.

Just helping those that want to help themselves.

23 Likes 3 Shares

Re: 60K Job Offer after 5,000 Applications and 2 Interviews | What Would YOU do? by MondayOsunbor(m): 12:49pm On Jul 21, 2023
Dimaya:
When Yemi, 27, a recent biochemistry graduate was laid off in February of the covid 19 crisis, he was still reading motivational books. What he didn't realize was that he was going to spend the next 6 to 12 months applying for a new job.

Everyday threafter, Yemi woke up at 6am, brushed his teeth, took his bath and ate a light breakfast of eggs and sliced bread. At 8am, he would dutifully log into job portals (indeed, my jobmag etc) and proceed to read at least 200 calls for applications. From 9am till 9pm, he would format his CV to each application's call and draft a quick cover letter. At the day's end, he would have sent out 40 job applications.

By August, Yemi had applied for over five thousand jobs and only got two invitations to interview. The first was a marketing job. The second was a supervisor position with a restaurant chain in Lagos. Over 4000 people showed up for the interview meant to hire just three supervisors. The role paid 60,000 naira per month with work hours being 6:30 mornings till 9:30 at night, Monday's till Saturday.

In this video: the craziest job stories you've never heard, Yemi and 14 other recent Nigerian graduates share their hilarious, thought-provoking experiences applying for jobs, dodging job scams, escaping kidnappers, receiving low-ball offers and managing the insults/frustrations from family members when you're jobless.

It will get better.
Over 4000 people showed up for the interview meant to hire just three supervisors. The role paid 60,000 naira

Over how many people?
Re: 60K Job Offer after 5,000 Applications and 2 Interviews | What Would YOU do? by izubext007: 12:51pm On Jul 21, 2023
some times no bread is better than half
Re: 60K Job Offer after 5,000 Applications and 2 Interviews | What Would YOU do? by justking(m): 12:52pm On Jul 21, 2023

4 Likes

Re: 60K Job Offer after 5,000 Applications and 2 Interviews | What Would YOU do? by Jennyclay(f): 12:52pm On Jul 21, 2023
I can never date a guy earning 60k salary.

God forbid it!!
Re: 60K Job Offer after 5,000 Applications and 2 Interviews | What Would YOU do? by Dimaya: 12:53pm On Jul 21, 2023
MondayOsunbor:

Over 4000 people showed up for the interview meant to hire just three supervisors. The role paid 60,000 naira

Over how many people?

over 4,000. you still dey ask?
Re: 60K Job Offer after 5,000 Applications and 2 Interviews | What Would YOU do? by stano2(m): 12:53pm On Jul 21, 2023
Naija just de disorganized and tough

1 Like

Re: 60K Job Offer after 5,000 Applications and 2 Interviews | What Would YOU do? by kernniejay(m): 12:54pm On Jul 21, 2023
Just cling unto whatever you can find until the whole wahala for the country balance small.

1 Like

Re: 60K Job Offer after 5,000 Applications and 2 Interviews | What Would YOU do? by sameoldguy: 12:55pm On Jul 21, 2023
60,000 Naira a month to work (6:30am-930pm) Monday to Saturday? O boy, this one na modern day slavery.

2 Likes

Re: 60K Job Offer after 5,000 Applications and 2 Interviews | What Would YOU do? by 004gist: 12:56pm On Jul 21, 2023
grin
Re: 60K Job Offer after 5,000 Applications and 2 Interviews | What Would YOU do? by babaalagbo11(m): 12:58pm On Jul 21, 2023
They keep churning out graduates year by year without anything in place for them....

Frustration would eventually turn some of them to yahoo yahoo and olosho...

This country is a mess

2 Likes

Re: 60K Job Offer after 5,000 Applications and 2 Interviews | What Would YOU do? by WEALTHYLADYTIME(f): 12:59pm On Jul 21, 2023
SEE ALL THE HARDSHIP THAT EVIL BUHARI AND HIS EVIL GOVERNMENT BROUGHT ON NIGERIANS,

WHAT CAN 60K BUY IN THIS PRES TINUBU MORE HARDSHIP TIME.

I REALLY FEEL PITY FOR THE POOR,
WITH POOR SALARIES.

I THANK JESUS THAT I'M FROM A WEALTHY PARENTS.

JESUS IS LORD

WEALTH IS GOOD.

1 Like 1 Share

Re: 60K Job Offer after 5,000 Applications and 2 Interviews | What Would YOU do? by agabaI23(m): 12:59pm On Jul 21, 2023
Take and work hard on it
Re: 60K Job Offer after 5,000 Applications and 2 Interviews | What Would YOU do? by Dimaya: 1:00pm On Jul 21, 2023
Dimaya:

It will get better.
Re: 60K Job Offer after 5,000 Applications and 2 Interviews | What Would YOU do? by RepoMan007: 1:02pm On Jul 21, 2023
He or she is destined an industrialist and not an employee.
Re: 60K Job Offer after 5,000 Applications and 2 Interviews | What Would YOU do? by Adewale1603(m): 1:03pm On Jul 21, 2023
5,000 applications? Dey play
Re: 60K Job Offer after 5,000 Applications and 2 Interviews | What Would YOU do? by TimiMore: 1:06pm On Jul 21, 2023
MITCHELL96:
I can never work for anybody to earn peanut.

I've always told myself that I'll be a creator of something and will rather employ people instead.

It's when you don't realize your worth and capabilities, that's when you settle for less.

I remember when Dinero told me back in 2017 "Mitchell, I can never work for someone to get paid 12 times in a year"

Dinero now has a Benz, Ferrari and is now living outside Nigeria with multiple assets to his name.

I'll recommend this few books I've read to help build your mindset and mentality (don't joke with it)

1. 48 laws of power by Robert Greene
2.Rich dad poor dad by Robert Kiyosaki
3.One Truth, One Law: I Am, I Create By Erin Werley
4. Declutter your mind by SJ Scott.
5. Do it today by Darius Foroux
6. The psychology of money by Morgan Housel

These are the ones I have in PDF format and I'm not charging anybody for it. Other great books I have as hard copy aren't listed here.

Just helping those that want to help themselves.

Please can I get 3-6 from you? Pdfdrive doesn't work anymore.
anymoneytimi@gmail.com Thanks

1 Like

Re: 60K Job Offer after 5,000 Applications and 2 Interviews | What Would YOU do? by Jossyfine(f): 1:06pm On Jul 21, 2023
See the number of people viewing this topic 😧😧😧truly speaking Nigerian youths are massively under employed 😌☹️😭

(1) (2) (3) (4) (Reply)

Workforce Interview / ICS Limited Test / Hostcom: Is The F.g. Charging Youths To Train Them Or Is This A Scam?

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 39
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.