Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,195,075 members, 7,957,006 topics. Date: Tuesday, 24 September 2024 at 03:35 AM

The Adventures Of A Village Scholar In Germany - Travel (18) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Travel / The Adventures Of A Village Scholar In Germany (81083 Views)

Adventures Of Lionlee216 / Adventures Of A UK Bound Nurse / The Adventures Of A New UK Migrant (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) ... (15) (16) (17) (18) (19) (20) (21) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: The Adventures Of A Village Scholar In Germany by Braket: 5:39pm On Mar 28, 2019
BikeMan:
That settled, I wrote my exams and packaged my bags to voyage 20 years into the past.

You didn't really tell us about this voyage
Boarding started about few minutes after 7am. Thanks to Nigerian passport and British policies nah. I was scrutinized at the boarding gate because I only presented my Nigerian passport without a valid schengen visa on it. But when I presented my Residence card, I was allowed to pass through.

It is worthy of note that, British Airways doesn't allow passengers without a transit visa or visa from other EU countries or countries that doesn't require a visa to Vist UK to transit through their airport.

And btw, I wasn't stamped out of Germany because I have a residence permit.

After the final security check at the boarding gate, a bus transported us to the aircraft. We finished boarding in no time. Low and behold, it was indeed a full flight. I located my window seat (I often pick the window seat), buckled my seat belt and waited for take off.

The first pilot (Apprentice pilot grin) made the usual welcome announcements, ETA, weather conditions and the likes. I was so happy, why? Finally, I am flying with an airline that speaks English without having to translate.

It was time for takeoff and the plane refused to gbe body. I wasn't worried at first because Frankfurt to London Heathrow Airport is just 1 hour and few minutes, plus I had an hour few minutes stop in LHR and I don't have to change terminals.

The pilot made an announcement that they are waiting for approval from the control tower and that's the reason for delay. About 10 minutes later, he made another announcement that everything is clear and we would be taxing to the takeoff point. Only for the plane to move backward and return to its original position. The pilot announced again that there's something wrong with the aircraft and he needs to check it in.

After 10 minutes again, he announced that he's sorry but the issue had been fixed overnight and he was just being overprotective(I can't really remember his exact words). He waited for another 5 minutes again before making another attempt to taxi again that yet failed.

At that moment, I started freaking out because we were like 40 minutes behind schedule and my flight from LHR - LOS leaves once a day.

In short we battled with technical issues for 2 hours and turns out that nothing was wrong with the aircraft. It was just the pilots that were either overprotective or misinformed. We had to refuel again we finally took off when we were supposed to land.

12 Likes

Re: The Adventures Of A Village Scholar In Germany by lordally(m): 12:29am On Mar 29, 2019
Braket:

Boarding started about few minutes after 7am. Thanks to Nigerian passport and British policies nah. I was scrutinized at the boarding gate because I only presented my Nigerian passport without a valid schengen visa on it. But when I presented my Residence card, I was allowed to pass through.

It is worthy of note that, British Airways doesn't allow passengers without a transit visa or visa from other EU countries or countries that doesn't require a visa to Vist UK to transit through their airport.

And btw, I wasn't stamped out of Germany because I have a residence permit.

After the final security check at the boarding gate, a bus transported us to the aircraft. We finished boarding in no time. Low and behold, it was indeed a full flight. I located my window seat (I often pick the window seat), buckled my seat belt and waited for take off.

The first pilot (Apprentice pilot grin) made the usual welcome announcements, ETA, weather conditions and the likes. I was so happy, why? Finally, I am flying with an airline that speaks English without having to translate.

It was time for takeoff and the plane refused to gbe body. I wasn't worried at first because Frankfurt to London Heathrow Airport is just 1 hour and few minutes, plus I had an hour few minutes stop in LHR and I don't have to change terminals.

The pilot made an announcement that they are waiting for approval from the control tower and that's the reason for delay. About 10 minutes later, he made another announcement that everything is clear and we would be taxing to the takeoff point. Only for the plane to move backward and return to its original position. The pilot announced again that there's something wrong with the aircraft and he needs to check it in.

After 10 minutes again, he announced that he's sorry but the issue had been fixed overnight and he was just being overprotective(I can't really remember his exact words). He waited for another 5 minutes again before making another attempt to taxi again that yet failed.

At that moment, I started freaking out because we were like 40 minutes behind schedule and my flight from LHR - LOS leaves once a day.

In short we battled with technical issues for 2 hours and turns out that nothing was wrong with the aircraft. It was just the pilots that were either overprotective or misinformed. We had to refuel again we finally took off when we were supposed to land.

Omo nawa ooo...if na me ehn!!! omo better shit go hold me ooo...cos nobody won die for plan crash na

3 Likes

Re: The Adventures Of A Village Scholar In Germany by Braket: 11:25am On Apr 07, 2019
Remember those university days when lecturer will give out photocopied handouts to HOC for the whole class to photocopy? And HOC will turn to god and start cashing out grin.

Well it's different here in Germany or at least my school. Some lecture materials are being printed in colored shocked and handed to us free of charge.

Not to even talk of very expensive Softwares that the university bears the license cost for us.

Nah countries like this person suppose dey do if at all first degree.

15 Likes 1 Share

Re: The Adventures Of A Village Scholar In Germany by Hadampson(m): 12:59pm On Apr 07, 2019
Braket:
Remember those university days when lecturer will give out photocopied handouts to HOC for the whole class to photocopy? And HOC will turn to god and start cashing out grin.

Well it's different here in Germany or at least my school. Some lecture materials are being printed in colored shocked and handed to us free of charge.

Not to even talk of very expensive Softwares that the university bears the license cost for us.

Nah countries like this person suppose dey do if at all first degree.

Wow.. Das ist toll

Keep it coming boss.. We dey here no shaking cheesy

1 Like

Re: The Adventures Of A Village Scholar In Germany by Sss2: 12:02pm On Apr 09, 2019
Braket:

Wow

This wow me.
Re: The Adventures Of A Village Scholar In Germany by chimax1(m): 2:38pm On May 17, 2019
Bracket what's up you now..no more update..is this thread dead or what.

2 Likes

Re: The Adventures Of A Village Scholar In Germany by Bbinc: 9:50am On May 19, 2019
embarassed
Re: The Adventures Of A Village Scholar In Germany by Goztino(m): 1:09am On May 20, 2019
willy2000:

You just have to overcome the fear of falling, I also learned how to ride bicycles here in just a day and so far I have not had any accidents. Well, now I am a Pro. I ride without my hands on the bicycle.

Instead of bicycle, can't one buy motorcycle?
Bicycle can be stressful to ride especially through hills. I have never heard anyone talk about motorcycle even for once in Europe
Re: The Adventures Of A Village Scholar In Germany by Funnyguy83: 11:12am On May 20, 2019
gabi101:

hey
LOL Bros Bros , i was passing by this thread and saw what you wrote. this is totally FALSE and untrue about west germany sad. i don't know where got this info from or what kinda survey you carried out that brought to this conclusion. Please dont mislead people. i live(presently) and study in west germany Rhineland palatinate, close to mainz. before i came to germany a year back i made some good reasearch on quora and nairaland about my state and an indian who had lived in west germany for 10years even said western germans are more open, friendly to foreigners and i'm seeing it for myself here(i'm totally enjoying it here).

normally the west germans where the ones against hitler(east) during the war(read about berlin unification) and funny enough americans where previously the ones even occupying my school(university of applied science Trier birkendfeld,umwelt cmpus, you can browse it) during the war thats why if you've lived there you will notice more of english speakers here than the east part part of germany(you can ask this on quora and you'll get the same answer from people who spent years in germany as foreigners). i have some friends even in the the east like leipzig they never complain about this racism of a thing you say.

i didnt come here to argue with you but to change the impression or notion you created about this place on some people.

Hey Mille i traced this post from you grin

PEACE!! smiley
please do we have a University that teaches in English in Rhineland Palatinat ? if yes please give me the names please.
Re: The Adventures Of A Village Scholar In Germany by lexi28(m): 2:13pm On May 26, 2019
keep posting updates, your birdseye view of Germany is candid and refreshing. that aspect of Naija peeps hoarding info is very disturbing. a friend of mine was in Texas last year and got a job at a restaurant. guess what? it was a Naija babe that set her up to lose her job. and it was a Kenyan who informed her of the culprit - and assisted her in getting another job!
luckily not all are bad apples, cos she stayed for 5months with another Naija lady.
some will use you and seek to better their lot from your misfortune, but others are God sent to bail you out of trouble.
I have read other threads where the same allegation of Naija peeps abroad being self serving and downright mischievous.

8 Likes

Re: The Adventures Of A Village Scholar In Germany by Elektra008(f): 9:30pm On May 26, 2019
Braket:
I sort of made a stupid mistake when booking my flight ticket. I was penny wise but pound foolish.

Me I sha didn't answer and thank God I did not. It wa just as though I had a premonition that something was going to happen.

Nice thread bro, what happened @bolded?[b]
Braket:
I sort of made a stupid mistake when booking my flight ticket. I was penny wise but pound foolish.

Me I sha didn't answer and thank God I did not. It wa just as though I had a premonition that something was going to happen.

Nice thread bro, what happened? About your premonitions?
Re: The Adventures Of A Village Scholar In Germany by KendrickAyomide: 4:22am On May 29, 2019
Braket:

Thank you. I am enjoying the weather.
bros, what is winter time Like over there? Can you compare the cold with something i can relate with?
Re: The Adventures Of A Village Scholar In Germany by KendrickAyomide: 4:26am On May 29, 2019
NNAMDIII:
Following...... It's time to focus more on travelling and business section

I'll stop visiting romance section because i'm not gaining anything there!
i discovered that Sometime ago. I just visit now. My base is here
Re: The Adventures Of A Village Scholar In Germany by chika0072(m): 1:34pm On May 29, 2019
manneger2:
Travelling abroad is not easy especially to do unskilled job, Germany is better, in Dubai once they have done your visa u can't stop the job till after some months or year depending on the contract, with Dubai hot weather, I will start Germany process when I finish my contract with this company, bro stay strong.
Brother me and you dey same shoe....next year by Gof' grace
Re: The Adventures Of A Village Scholar In Germany by chika0072(m): 1:38pm On May 29, 2019
Braket:

There's light at the end of the tunnel for you bro, I followed Dubai thread when I still had time back then.

There's a Nigerian guy studying for his PhD here, he told me how it was hard for him to raise blocked account funds because of the working conditions in Dubai, but when God was ready to take him out, he was able to raise more than the funds within months and he went back to Nigeria to apply for his visa.
He told me that part of the money is still in his account because when he got to Germany, he got a scholarship that covered his studies after the first semester.

Morale of the story, don't give up bro.
Mine did HND but that certificate nonsense. Am in Dubai trying to raise block account... Plus family. I no fit give up...I am praying to God next year
Re: The Adventures Of A Village Scholar In Germany by wildikeman(m): 6:07pm On May 30, 2019
Braket:
Thank you for the drama that happened while I was away. It was fun reading it and really eased my stressful week grin grin

I think it's safe to say that making one Euro here in Germany no be beans at all, coming from Nigerian work experience.

No time for playing.

Remember I mentioned how a journey of an hour turned to 4 stressful hours last week? The fact that I needed to pick something at home and head out again?

Well I was going home to pick my safety boot for a night shift I had. Little did I know I have not expressed the greatest stress yet.

Getting home to pick the safety boot and heading out again, I had no time to rest.

In short, I started the night shift work in a biscuit factory from 10pm to 6am.

What I did basically was packing 5 biscuits into a big pack, then send it to a taping machine and it rolls off to logistics department.

All these were done while standing.

I had to be fast because the biscuits won't stop coming so speed was need.
I was battling with a lot of things, the stress I expressed during the day, back pain, leg pain, hand pain, the pain of not closing my eyes since 5am that I work up.

In my mind, I was just cursing the owner of the biscuit factory grin and the day I showed interest in the job.

Shebi I said time was fast in Germany, nah line oh. The time is freaking slow when you have to work while standing.

Immediately my supervisor announces 5 minutes Pause, I dash out of the freaking place. But at that moment, the time gets faster and I report back to work.

In short, I worked myself out on Saturday and had to sleep all through Sunday, starving at some point.

Morale of the story cheesy.
When you hear the pay, it makes sense in naira. But please don't be fooled, everything goes back to the system.

If you have the mentality of coming to Germany to hustle with student visa, these are the kind of unskilled blood sucking jobs you will get and trust me, you will surely grow old very fast. And the painful part, half of your money goes back to the government who in turn pay them to their senior citizens and those without jobs that end up using it to smoke cigarette and drink beer, and still hate you for being black.

Funniest part, one will think a lot of people working these jobs will be foreigners. Nah lie oh, most of them are citizens.
This I think is the main reason they need skilled works and thereby making their education free to bring in people to fill the space.

Person wey get head no get cap.

All these things u are complaining about, we dey do am for Nigeria already. What were u expecting. Well yoilu were told by mile in the first comment.

Sha enjoy urself.
Reading your experiences in 2019
Re: The Adventures Of A Village Scholar In Germany by Braket: 2:27pm On Jun 05, 2019
Long story short, we landed when my connecting flight to Nigeria was departing.

I was so furious that I was almost rude to the attendant at the British airways stand that she even mentioned the fact that I should calm down.

I was offered two options, either to leave with the next available flight at 22:00 and chill in their premium lounge free of charge or I get booked into an hotel and continue the journey the next day with the schedule of the flight I missed.

As a naija guy nah, you must have guessed the one I picked.

Na so I get free UK 24 leave to enter stamp and three Star hotel accommodation with food voucher and bus ticket oh. I maxed that less than 24 hours no be small grin

9 Likes

Re: The Adventures Of A Village Scholar In Germany by chiMoni37(m): 3:48pm On Jun 05, 2019
thread without pictures..shey that one na thread �
Re: The Adventures Of A Village Scholar In Germany by rs172(m): 4:07pm On Jun 05, 2019
Braket:
Long story short, we landed when my connecting flight to Nigeria was departing.

I was so furious that I was almost rude to the attendant at the British airways stand that she even mentioned the fact that I should calm down.

I was offered two options, either to leave with the next available flight at 22:00 and chill in their premium lounge free of charge or I get booked into an hotel and continue the journey the next day with the schedule of the flight I missed.

As a naija guy nah, you must have guessed the one I picked.

Na so I get free UK 24 leave to enter stamp and three Star hotel accommodation with food voucher and bus ticket oh. I maxed that less than 24 hours no be small grin

We don miss you oo
Re: The Adventures Of A Village Scholar In Germany by Hadampson(m): 4:18pm On Jun 05, 2019
chiMoni37:
thread without pictures..shey that one na thread �

grin

Braket, please do the needful smiley

1 Like 1 Share

Re: The Adventures Of A Village Scholar In Germany by Braket: 8:22pm On Jun 05, 2019
London

12 Likes

Re: The Adventures Of A Village Scholar In Germany by Braket: 8:24pm On Jun 05, 2019
Random pictures of London 24hrs visit

8 Likes

Re: The Adventures Of A Village Scholar In Germany by Braket: 8:25pm On Jun 05, 2019
Around Victoria station I think

6 Likes

Re: The Adventures Of A Village Scholar In Germany by Braket: 8:27pm On Jun 05, 2019
Buckingham palace.

Thanks to 24hrs Oyster card.

Girls in London were so beautiful and properly mixed.

God wink

8 Likes

Re: The Adventures Of A Village Scholar In Germany by Braket: 8:29pm On Jun 05, 2019
There were a lot of people visiting the palace at that time.
Everyone just dey outside gate dey take pictures.

Zooming in, you see the guards standing there. I mean they get paid just for standing? That shit ain't easy tho

Plus London people no too sabi road oh. I lost no be small.

Wanted to visit London eye but unto too much wrong directions and tiredness, I had to head back to the hotel to get good night rest for my flight.

8 Likes

Re: The Adventures Of A Village Scholar In Germany by Braket: 8:32pm On Jun 05, 2019
The London underground tube is error.

The trains are so freaking old and not well ventilated.

Plus the fact that that are deep into the ground.

No wonder it's called underground.

8 Likes

Re: The Adventures Of A Village Scholar In Germany by Braket: 8:34pm On Jun 05, 2019
But why Quran no dey hotel room?

10 Likes

Re: The Adventures Of A Village Scholar In Germany by Braket: 8:35pm On Jun 05, 2019
This sign was so helpful.
Remember UK drives on the right-hand side, I often looked at the traffic from the wrong side if not for this sign

8 Likes

Re: The Adventures Of A Village Scholar In Germany by uptimum123(m): 11:08pm On Jun 05, 2019
Nice one bro... Keep em coming
Re: The Adventures Of A Village Scholar In Germany by UbiPetrus: 8:20am On Jun 06, 2019
Greetings Nailanders. Abeg, I'm in desperate need of SL. I'd appreciate any form of help.
Re: The Adventures Of A Village Scholar In Germany by vichaz10(m): 5:48am On Jun 09, 2019
Braket:
On board
Re: The Adventures Of A Village Scholar In Germany by Hadampson(m): 6:05am On Jun 09, 2019
UbiPetrus:
Greetings Nailanders. Abeg, I'm in desperate need of SL. I'd appreciate any form of help.

This is not the right thread boss

Ask in living in Germany as a student and General German student visa enquiries

(1) (2) (3) ... (15) (16) (17) (18) (19) (20) (21) (Reply)

Beautiful Pictures Of Most Nigerian Cities / Nigerians Confront South Africans With Guns In Pretoria - Facebook User / Ask Me Any Questions About America,straight Talk from a Nigerian in America

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 70
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.