Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,150,604 members, 7,809,199 topics. Date: Friday, 26 April 2024 at 04:40 AM

Injustice In My Workplace; Should I Return The Money? - Career (3) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Career / Injustice In My Workplace; Should I Return The Money? (19940 Views)

Injustice At Workplace; Should I Resign Or Hang On? / How Do I Deal With Nepotism In My Workplace? / Am I Doing The Right Thing In My Workplace? (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Injustice In My Workplace; Should I Return The Money? by bigpicture001: 12:19pm On Mar 03, 2018
from.my point of view..in.my opinion..the blame for all the fracas goes with u the employee...I see u as a greedy person that should be sacked imidiately...you were not the entrepreneur that started the firm A biz.in his plan of staring the job.some part of his revenue was planned to com from a little short changing of employees contract wages..they have been existing for years b4 u came on board...u are simply but a greedy big idiot..how do u think they make their profit..pay their rent,pay their office staffs nd also realize income as owners of bizness....u are an example of a bad nigerian employee that is proving more sense than owner of biz...at the level of nysc.u were offered a loan to start a biz,u declined cuz ur fool of crap nd can't figure out how to make profit aside earning wages..now u want to ruin a risk takers firm...nonsense!!!!
Re: Injustice In My Workplace; Should I Return The Money? by sinkhole: 12:21pm On Mar 03, 2018
nams77:

My thoughts exactly. Op. Since you are in good terms with manager of firm B, just have an informal chat with him and tell him what's happening.( Not formal writing o) at least this will act as an insurance cover if firm A decides to go rogue and pull some stunts. Wishing you the best
Thank you jaare my guy!
How can some people asked the OP to return his due? I can not understand!
OP, chop your money, you worked for it.
Do not give any Bleep about firm A, they can't do nada!
Maintain your relationship with firm B and in fact, as opined earlier, mention it informally to firm B.
You mentioning it to firm B will most likely end the contract for firm A.
Do not be a milk cow for firm A.

1 Like

Re: Injustice In My Workplace; Should I Return The Money? by bilulu(m): 12:23pm On Mar 03, 2018
dnative:

What salary was stated in your signed contract of employment?
Was the contract of employment between you and firm A or between you, firm A and firm B?
Have firm A been paying the salary specified in the contract you agreed to?

Sentiments aside, if you were happy to take up the job at the stated salary regardless of how low you thought it was, then you should carry on as normal. If your contract does not state Company A will pay you the salary agreed with Company B, then I don't see the issue here.

If you feel the salary stated in your contract is too low, simply wait till the end of the contract and negotiate a higher salary and ensure it is written in your employment contract.

Remember - "you don't always get what you deserve, you get what you negotiate". Be guided.

firm B made dem write an undertaking dat dey will pay me d arrears cuz d contract states Wat am supposed to b paid. and also dey were made to issues me a fresh employment letter stating d salary am supposed to b paid
Re: Injustice In My Workplace; Should I Return The Money? by Hoshboy01(m): 12:27pm On Mar 03, 2018
Dude in my own view,I feel if you pay back firm A or not when it is June,based on this your complains they will not renew a contract with you so as long as it is your money and you have a relationship with the manager of firm B..the money is your sweat and going away with it is no offence .
Re: Injustice In My Workplace; Should I Return The Money? by simiolu1(m): 12:27pm On Mar 03, 2018
bilulu:
Good morning all,

I work as a third party in an organization (firm A employed me to work for firm B). After the interview by firm A I was posted to firm B to work and I was told by firm A how much my salary is. I was happy that I have gotten a place to always resume at though the salary wasn't much.

After working in firm B for about 4 months I realised that firm A have been under paying me to the tune of almost 20,000 per month. I was short and my morale went down. I discussed it with one of the workers in firm A and he said I should wait for a perfect time to bring it to the notice of firm B.

It continued till I got that perfect time and it was about 8 months later. the moment I brought it to their notice (firm B) the manager was furious and called the manager of firm A that they must pay me back all my arrears and also with immediate effect place me on the salary on the contract.

To cut the story short, they placed me on the salary scale of the contract and they have also paid the arrears completely.

The moment I got the alert the manager of firm A called me to come over. I got their and he was telling me how the management have agreed that I should return part of the money with plenty stories. I told him I will get back to him if to return it or not.

I am so confused on what to do. If I decide to report to the manager of firm B they might decide to cancel the contract with firm A and everybody will go home. But the manager of firm B might decide to absorb me in the next contract because of the relationship I built with him overtime.

Still viewing from this other side of firm A, if I don't return the money they might decide to sack me and give nonexisting reasons though it will still jeopardise the contract.

Please I need your advice on what to do...... should I return the money or I should keep it and report to firm B on the plans of firm A?

Nairalanders pls help.....

Bros, talk to a lawyer ASAP!

Do not return the money, it is yours. If they fire you because of a flimsy excuse, take your case to the Industrial Court. Your case would be heard sharp sharp. Do not fret!!!!

1 Like

Re: Injustice In My Workplace; Should I Return The Money? by greatcrown: 12:30pm On Mar 03, 2018
Tell the manager in firm A to make his request official and also copy the firm B manager in the mail.

It is a business transaction everything should be documented.

If he went ahead to send the mail which I believe he won't then give him conditions that is legally biding for the return.

Such condition could be you retaining your job for the next two years on the current salary as a minimum inaddition to every other conditions that favor you in the original contract.
Re: Injustice In My Workplace; Should I Return The Money? by dfrost: 12:31pm On Mar 03, 2018
Two things come to play here:

1. Your integrity as a person
2. Your perceived injustice

Answer the following questions:
1. Did you sign a contract with A or B?
2. Who gave you your letter of appointment? On whose letterhead? A or B?
Re: Injustice In My Workplace; Should I Return The Money? by olatayo1984(m): 12:35pm On Mar 03, 2018
I really understand your plight because God just delievered me from the same situation. I worked with an international NGO which has little or no presence in Nigeria. They were given a condition that they must partner with a NIgerian organization before they could be awarded the project, which they did. The Nigerian company underpay us seriously bcs when you compare the salary of the staff of other staff from this American company, it was twice our own and we are doing the same thing. All benefits were not paid and the deduction from the agreed underpaid salary was crazy. The American company tried to make this company to compile and pay us well but they are so greedy and after a year of complain, the agreement expired and instead of them to tell us to go home, this american NGO absolved us and cancelled their contract with the Nigerian organization. i will advice you talk to someone you know in the firm B to advice you. you cant keep quite forever. i believe God to favour you.

1 Like

Re: Injustice In My Workplace; Should I Return The Money? by beinstein(m): 12:37pm On Mar 03, 2018
I had similar experience last year.
In my own case, the manager of firm B concealed the contract with firm A because of the issue and employed me to work with them directly instead.
There's nothing beats working with a sincere and honest management.
Re: Injustice In My Workplace; Should I Return The Money? by dustydee: 12:39pm On Mar 03, 2018
bilulu:
Good morning all,

Since it looks like you don't need the money you legitimately earned, please look for the nearest orphanage and donate it to them or send all of it to your mother or grand mother, I am sure they will bless you. You said the pay is not so good and seem content in remaining there rather than plot your exit strategy (which the extra N160k will help). If you have ever lost your job before, you will know to plan your exit while you still have time rather than blind loyalty.

1 Like

Re: Injustice In My Workplace; Should I Return The Money? by dfrost: 12:40pm On Mar 03, 2018
0monnak0da:
A lot of people here are naive and have no experience of life or law.

Did this company introduce themselves to you as a charity?
I believe they are a BUSINESS

You entered an agreement (AGREEMENT) with them VOLUNTARILY and now you are trying to be funny claiming RIGHTS and people telling you the money is RIGHTFULLY yours?

How is it yours? You are the one being an ingrate.

They never underpaid you they paid you what you AGREED

The op went snooping around instead of doing the work assigned to him/her. I wonder how our system got to this point. No honour in contractual agreement?

For those saying get a lawyer, let the op get a lawyer and come back and feed us with the information from the lawyer.
Re: Injustice In My Workplace; Should I Return The Money? by Humulity: 12:51pm On Mar 03, 2018
What does not kill you makes you stronger. The deduction was wrong in the first place. You handled it wisely and got your shortfall back. Then somebody is coming from behind to intimidate you to return your recovered money. Is that not cowardice, don't be the bigger coward, you earned it. If you do that, your main employer who stood by you will be disappointed with you. Also the people you work directly with may cook up a story to destroy your reputation and sack you
Your ability to handle all this makes you a man. Now the worst case scenario here is you loosing the job, but it will not happen. All you need is boldness and wisdom, don't discuss this with anybody in the office. Always have your phone on recording mode anytime you have one on one meeting with the management. If they come up with the demand again your response is simple - politely tell them ; is it not better you discuss it with my first employer. Or tell them to put their demand in writing. Of course they would not find it funny and may decide to damage your reputation. Never worry, you have it on tape. You may be pressurized to quit or be sacked with false accusation. But with your head up. However, if this scenario plays out, never you work with either of the firm. Rather, you have gained respect from your original employer and I assure you of the benefits tomorrow.
Who knows tomorrow, success is available for those who dare to. You have got nothing to loose.

1 Like

Re: Injustice In My Workplace; Should I Return The Money? by IamaNigerianGuy(m): 12:55pm On Mar 03, 2018
Actuarydeji:
Stop talking as if they're doing you a favor. You're working for your employer simply because he/she cannot perform the task alone, and that's the reason why you've been paid for the services you rendered to the company. It is your money, refunding it back to them means that you're supporting mediocre and corruption. Why are we like this in Nigeria! Everything leave him for God to judge him! Why! That's why we are being treated like a slave in by foreigner in our own country. What a shame! We need to wake up from our slumber.

Two likes.
Re: Injustice In My Workplace; Should I Return The Money? by Actuarydeji(m): 12:57pm On Mar 03, 2018
IamaNigerianGuy:

Two likes.
I can't get you
Re: Injustice In My Workplace; Should I Return The Money? by lekonso: 1:02pm On Mar 03, 2018
This money belongs to you legally. Don't give them 1 kobo. Report them to firm B and let them know that you have reported them. Firm A cannot do you anything. If you give firm A part of the money, Firm A will still not renew your contract when the contract expires, i can assure you that, because you did not allow them to cheat you which is their usual behavior. Don't give them one dime,they are thieves.

1 Like

Re: Injustice In My Workplace; Should I Return The Money? by Nobody: 1:03pm On Mar 03, 2018
Actuarydeji:
Stop talking as if they're doing you a favor. You're working for your employer simply because he/she cannot perform the task alone, and that's the reason why you've been paid for the services you rendered to the company. It is your money, refunding it back to them means that you're supporting mediocre and corruption. Why are we like this in Nigeria! Everything leave him for God to judge him! Why! That's why we are being treated like a slave in by foreigner in our own country. What a shame! We need to wake up from our slumber.

May God bless u for this master-piece. God doesn't support immoral, cheating & corruption. I hope these people will change for good.

1 Like

Re: Injustice In My Workplace; Should I Return The Money? by bilulu(m): 1:04pm On Mar 03, 2018
dfrost:

The op went snooping around instead of doing the work assigned to him/her. I wonder how our system got to this point. No honour in contractual agreement?

For those saying get a lawyer, let the op get a lawyer and come back and feed us with the information from the lawyer.
if wat firm A did was right why did dey agreed to pay all d arrears?
Re: Injustice In My Workplace; Should I Return The Money? by immazion972: 1:04pm On Mar 03, 2018
why is this mess happening in our country just in unity bank their contract staff receiving the same treatment somebody will be taking 40000 from 80000 suppose salary, not to mention diamond Bank, or all this small and big companies.
Re: Injustice In My Workplace; Should I Return The Money? by 0monnak0da: 1:09pm On Mar 03, 2018
Humulity:
What does not kill you makes you stronger. The deduction was wrong in the first place. You handled it wisely and got your shortfall back. Then somebody is coming from behind to intimidate you to return your recovered money. Is that not cowardice, don't be the bigger coward, you earned it. If you do that, your main employer who stood by you will be disappointed with you. Also the people you work directly with may cook up a story to destroy your reputation and sack you
Your ability to handle all this makes you a man. Now the worst case scenario here is you loosing the job, but it will not happen. All you need is boldness and wisdom, don't discuss this with anybody in the office. Always have your phone on recording mode anytime you have one on one meeting with the management. If they come up with the demand again your response is simple - politely tell them ; is it not better you discuss it with my first employer. Or tell them to put their demand in writing. Of course they would not find it funny and may decide to damage your reputation. Never worry, you have it on tape. You may be pressurized to quit or be sacked with false accusation. But with your head up. However, if this scenario plays out, never you work with either of the firm. Rather, you have gained respect from your original employer and I assure you of the benefits tomorrow.
Who knows tomorrow, success is available for those who dare to. You have got nothing to loose.

There was no DEDUCTION.

He was paid what he AGREED and the company was keeping the rest as commission,agency,introduction fees ,profit etc.

How are they supposed to make money?

The word deduction is a TOTAL misrepresentation of reality.

What CONTRACT exists in law between the OP and the agency firm? He is the one that is potentially in breach of contract. They have kept their side of the dieal. Even if he later finds out he is only getting 5% of what they are paid it changes NOTHING.

This is a classical example of assymetry of information. If he knew at the beginning he would have negotiated differently. His problem.

The agency is resonsiblle for checking his credentials ,his references, interviewing him etc( This costs money) and I am sure there are other recruitment related expenses.If it was that easy why are the other firm outsourcing their HR function.

We must look at the big picture. The 3 parties all need each other and need to find an equilibrium that works based on prevailing market forces. That is buusiness.It does not need dressing up as a moral issue.

The question is does the agency add value for the worker aand the client and should they be rewarde for it? Te mechanism for determining reward in any market is complex but it often coes down to market power.
If the commodity is a Messi, a Neymar it is very different from if it is a nanny or "housegirl" and all the other professsionals that come in the middle of these two extremes
Re: Injustice In My Workplace; Should I Return The Money? by Nobody: 1:12pm On Mar 03, 2018
This has been going on since time of immemorial in naija naw. You can imagine a security company collecting a sum of 50k per operative from a firm. Then the actual amount they pay the security operative is 15k. What would someone call this and we are all praying and thinking nigeria will be better. No no no It can never be well with Nigeria until we all change from our evil ways of operating to Good ways. We are extremely Evil.
Re: Injustice In My Workplace; Should I Return The Money? by bilulu(m): 1:16pm On Mar 03, 2018
0monnak0da:

There was no DEDUCTION.

He was paid what he AGREED and the company was keeping the rest as commission,agency,introduction fees ,profit etc.

How are they supposed to make money?

The word deduction is a TOTAL misreppresentation of reality.

What CONTRACT exists in law between the OP and the agency firm? He is the one that is potentially in breach of contract. They have kept their side of the dieal. Even if he later finds out he is only getting 5% of whaat they are aid it changes NOTHING.

The agency is resonsiblle for checking his credentials ,his references, interviewing him etc and I a sure there are other recruitment related expenses.If it was that easy why are the other firm outsourcing their HR function.

We must look at the big picture. The 3 parties all need each other and need to find an equilibrium that works based on prevailing market forces. That is buusiness.It does not need dressing up as a moral issue.

The question is does the agency add value for the worker aand the client and should they be rewarde for it? Te mechanism for determining reward in any market is complex but it often coes down to market power.
If the commodity is a Messi, a Neymar it is very different from if it is a nanny or "housegirl" and all the other professsionals that come in the middle of these two extremes

I wasn't shown d contract between both firms neither did dey negotiate anything wit me. d guy dat was in d position bf was paid d full salary. wen I came onboard dey decided to reduce mine. moreover out of all d staffs firm A brought to firm B I was only d staff dat was treated dat way

1 Like

Re: Injustice In My Workplace; Should I Return The Money? by achiever12: 1:17pm On Mar 03, 2018
INFOBIZ3:

you are saying this because you don't know how God works.

If God wants you to dump all on his table, he won't give you brain at all.

A wise person will ask God for wisdom to handle a situation properly. A foolish person will ask God to handle the situation for him.

It's synonymous with a lion that begs God to kill an animal for him; one would wonder why God gave him strong teeth and nails in the first instance.

Oyibo man uses his head to think about how to make his country better, today, he has the best economic and governmental policies with visible beneficial results. Foolish Nigerians would rather ask God to choose a leader for them and also fast and pray for government to rule them well. But what had been the result of our incessant prayers? NOTHING!

1 Like

Re: Injustice In My Workplace; Should I Return The Money? by madgoat(m): 1:17pm On Mar 03, 2018
bilulu:
I appreciate all the opinions given. but pls I still need more to b able to arrive at a conclusion.... pls mod help move this to front page.
lalasticlala I can see u. pls help me move it. let Nigerians know wats a fellow Nigerian is facing

What nonsense... What more do you need? You are the kind of mediocre person that people can ride over and cheat easily. No wonder u find it hard getting a job: u don't have a mind of ur own and u lack confidence in urself. U will rather accept peanuts and be cheated than stand up and fight. Honestly u will never progress in life with this ur dull attitude. Continue letting them cheat u of ur money and be there asking for useless advice if u should return the money or not.
Re: Injustice In My Workplace; Should I Return The Money? by 0monnak0da: 1:17pm On Mar 03, 2018
immazion972:
why is this mess happening in our country just in unity bank their contract staff receiving the same treatment somebody will be taking 40000 from 80000 suppose salary, not to mention diamond Bank, or all this small and big companies.

Happens all over the world. In the UK Agency recruitent is a £30 billion industry.
Underlines the fact that agency working is here to stay. Some profesionals have a stronger negotiating hand than others and this ultimately is down to demand and supply.
If you are unskilled and or easily replaceable your negotiating hand is weak
Re: Injustice In My Workplace; Should I Return The Money? by Nobody: 1:18pm On Mar 03, 2018
Re: Injustice In My Workplace; Should I Return The Money? by musa234(m): 1:19pm On Mar 03, 2018
INFOBIZ3:

you are saying this because you don't know how God works.
Tell me how God works! You mean you won't play your part? Of course God works, but you don't just fold your arms and wait for God to do everything for you. God gave you the brain and know how to solve some issues and puzzles.. You don't t just relax and expect God to do everything for you.. You have to show action, you have to play your own part whilst leaving the rest to God.

1 Like

Re: Injustice In My Workplace; Should I Return The Money? by DisGuy: 1:21pm On Mar 03, 2018
dnative:

What salary was stated in your signed contract of employment?
Was the contract of employment between you and firm A or between you, firm A and firm B?
Have firm A been paying the salary specified in the contract you agreed to?

Sentiments aside, if you were happy to take up the job at the stated salary regardless of how low you thought it was, then you should carry on as normal. If your contract does not state Company A will pay you the salary agreed with Company B, then I don't see the issue here.

If you feel the salary stated in your contract is too low, simply wait till the end of the contract and negotiate a higher salary and ensure it is written in your employment contract.

Remember - "you don't always get what you deserve, you get what you negotiate". Be guided.

he is getting paying -20k of what the salary with Firm A entails!
Re: Injustice In My Workplace; Should I Return The Money? by 0monnak0da: 1:22pm On Mar 03, 2018
madgoat:

What nonsense... What more do you need? You are the kind of mediocre person that people can ride over and cheat easily. Honestly u will never progress in life with this ur dull attitude. Continue letting them cheat u of ur money and be there asking for useless advice if u should return the money or not.
Emotional stuff. Red eye no dey light cigar.

His money? How is it HIS MONEY?

There is a lot you do not understand?

In law he has no stand. AT ALL.

In fact in many counttries he is already in contract violation for entering into this discussion with the client.

The olny sensible thing many in this situation do is to negotiaate the NEXT contract more robustly. Right now he is gettiing what he negotiated.
Re: Injustice In My Workplace; Should I Return The Money? by DisGuy: 1:23pm On Mar 03, 2018
OP, tell Firm A you have used the money to settle emergency medical bills - if they want to up their profitability they should lose some managemnt staff or stop paying Oga's weekend bonus!

Nigerian companies and evils sha- incompetent and vindictive!

1 Like

Re: Injustice In My Workplace; Should I Return The Money? by 0monnak0da: 1:24pm On Mar 03, 2018
bilulu:

I wasn't shown d contract between both firms neither did dey negotiate anything wit me. d guy dat was in d position bf was paid d full salary. wen I came onboard dey decided to reduce mine. moreover out of all d staffs firm A brought to firm B I was only d staff dat was treated dat way
Did you agree to the rate before starting

Yes or No please?
Your claim they did not negotiate with you needs clarification.

Did you agree a salary? If yes then that is negotiation. You had the choice to reject it just like when the conductor tellss you enter with your 50 naira for a route you paid 40 yesterday. That is negotiation

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (Reply)

NIMC: Wrong Disengagement From Service / FG Sacks 30 N-Power Beneficiaries In Adamawa / The Tales And Woes Of A Typical Access Bank Teller

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 82
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.