Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,151,851 members, 7,813,889 topics. Date: Tuesday, 30 April 2024 at 08:46 PM

How Do I Deal With Nepotism In My Workplace? - Career - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Career / How Do I Deal With Nepotism In My Workplace? (24050 Views)

How Do I Deal With Sexual Harassment From A Colleague? / How Do I Deal With Office Politics? / Injustice In My Workplace; Should I Return The Money? (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (Reply) (Go Down)

How Do I Deal With Nepotism In My Workplace? by siofra(f): 3:29pm On Jun 26, 2023
I understand this is Nigeria where people are crazy about connections. People think that because you're from their village, you're supposed to give them a free pass. They won't go through the normal process, and when you refuse, they start to hate you and spread rumours about you.

It is happening to me at the place I work. It's becoming too much because I won't budge. Sometimes I feel like crying. How do I get around this? Why won't people just do things the right way I've never expected anything from anyone because they are from my village or because I know them.

I feel like I won't be able to stand my ground any longer.

46 Likes 6 Shares

Re: How Do I Deal With Nepotism In My Workplace? by TemplarLandry: 3:30pm On Jun 26, 2023
Funny.
Start by changing your unreasonable signature and the way you disrespect men. .

146 Likes 3 Shares

Re: How Do I Deal With Nepotism In My Workplace? by FalseProphet1(m): 4:24pm On Jun 26, 2023
If your village people say you should help them, help them na, or don't you know what village people are capable of, is when they start attacking you before you change. Even if they're not qualified for the job, as long as they're from your village, give it to them. It's called wisdom.

This I have seen.

56 Likes

Re: How Do I Deal With Nepotism In My Workplace? by HisGrace234: 4:25pm On Jun 26, 2023
Life

3 Likes

Re: How Do I Deal With Nepotism In My Workplace? by FOOTSOLDIER2(f): 4:25pm On Jun 26, 2023
I hate Lord Lugard

28 Likes 2 Shares

Re: How Do I Deal With Nepotism In My Workplace? by SmartPolician: 4:25pm On Jun 26, 2023
You didn't clarify what you meant, but I will explain it in the context of employment...

If you see someone from your village who is suitable for a job, madam, consider the person first. That's how people build a strong network. Referrals are given preferential treatment everywhere in the world.

However, why Nigeria's case tends to differ is that we tend to throw competence and suitability out of the window. Later, the organization/customers pay the heavy price. But then, it's also good to create some sort of balance in the workplace.

100 Likes 3 Shares

Re: How Do I Deal With Nepotism In My Workplace? by Senioradvocate(m): 4:25pm On Jun 26, 2023
grin

I hope this predicament have not affected ur sweetness cos we ur online boyfrns will not accept that even for a second

4 Likes 2 Shares

Re: How Do I Deal With Nepotism In My Workplace? by sofeo(m): 4:25pm On Jun 26, 2023
Alright
Re: How Do I Deal With Nepotism In My Workplace? by austine4real(m): 4:25pm On Jun 26, 2023
U too spread rumors too about them grin grin

10 Likes

Re: How Do I Deal With Nepotism In My Workplace? by dollarsplenty(m): 4:26pm On Jun 26, 2023
Ok. I guess those guys are real males who give no damn about feminism and hope you're not talking about gender intimidation.

10 Likes

Re: How Do I Deal With Nepotism In My Workplace? by LalaSnakeLala(m): 4:26pm On Jun 26, 2023
Kpekus doesn't discriminate. Use it

5 Likes

Re: How Do I Deal With Nepotism In My Workplace? by Ombre(m): 4:26pm On Jun 26, 2023
W
Re: How Do I Deal With Nepotism In My Workplace? by princeade86(m): 4:26pm On Jun 26, 2023
Protest or quit d job if u are one of important person, they will call u for meeting and dialogue

1 Like

Re: How Do I Deal With Nepotism In My Workplace? by iamsonofthunder: 4:26pm On Jun 26, 2023
grin
Re: How Do I Deal With Nepotism In My Workplace? by BabaCommander: 4:26pm On Jun 26, 2023
Sounds like the cry of a pastor.

Many want Gods blessings, but don't want to live a life of godliness.

I weep for humanity?

1 Like

Re: How Do I Deal With Nepotism In My Workplace? by PJtech: 4:26pm On Jun 26, 2023
strong one
Re: How Do I Deal With Nepotism In My Workplace? by LegendaryArnold(m): 4:27pm On Jun 26, 2023
siofra:
I understand this is Nigeria where people are crazy about connections. People think that because you're from their village, you're supposed to give them a free pass. They won't go through the normal process, and when you refuse, they start to hate you and spread rumours about you.

It is happening to me at the place I work. It's becoming too much because I won't budge. Sometimes I feel like crying. How do I get around this? Why won't people just do things the right way I've never expected anything from anyone because they are from my village or because I know them.

I feel like I won't be able to stand my ground any longer.

Regardless of the pressure, do what's right. It will pay off in the long run.

8 Likes 2 Shares

Re: How Do I Deal With Nepotism In My Workplace? by vincenteger: 4:27pm On Jun 26, 2023
Person whole him brother dy heaven no fit go hell fire.
My dear if you have the means of helping them please do and learn tolerance too.
They'll definitely talk but learn to ignore.
No forget say, no matter what you do for people for this life, them go still complain say your burial no tough

Senu please that ad that pops up b4 I click on a topic is not 4ny.
If na play stop am

Just stop it please
It's getting annoying

5 Likes 1 Share

Re: How Do I Deal With Nepotism In My Workplace? by Thundafireseun: 4:27pm On Jun 26, 2023
grin
If Buhari has taught Nigerian’s anything

Is that Family/tribesmen comes 1st in all your dealings

2 Likes

Re: How Do I Deal With Nepotism In My Workplace? by b0rn2fuck(m): 4:28pm On Jun 26, 2023
I'm just laughing, this government has been from buhari hardhip to survival of the Jagaban fittest ...
Re: How Do I Deal With Nepotism In My Workplace? by Teetee777: 4:28pm On Jun 26, 2023
Do what is right no matter if they belong to your family, village, or state, it will pay you in the future.

4 Likes

Re: How Do I Deal With Nepotism In My Workplace? by Sharpsharp00123: 4:28pm On Jun 26, 2023
Like seriously local man doesn’t know what to say
Re: How Do I Deal With Nepotism In My Workplace? by anibi9674: 4:28pm On Jun 26, 2023
ok
Re: How Do I Deal With Nepotism In My Workplace? by Brendaniel: 4:28pm On Jun 26, 2023
Na wa....
Re: How Do I Deal With Nepotism In My Workplace? by Kingpele(m): 4:29pm On Jun 26, 2023
Ok thus is how this country became so corrupt ...merit is sacrificed ob the alter of nepotism..look that the past administration who ruined itself because nepotism and so far the new government is going in same direction..nepotism is corruption..so don't give it a chance to ruin your reputation and integrity

4 Likes 2 Shares

Re: How Do I Deal With Nepotism In My Workplace? by Nobody: 4:29pm On Jun 26, 2023
So Siofra get job?

And she basically sleeps on nairaland having migraines over issues concerning men?!

When you think you've seen it all, something must happen in Nigeria to shock you to your roots.

Forget nepotism, try and help Jennyclay get a job. That way, she'll at least find some semblance of use for herself and time.

16 Likes 2 Shares

Re: How Do I Deal With Nepotism In My Workplace? by crossfm: 4:30pm On Jun 26, 2023
Hehehe .

The funny thing is that they shamelessly engage in such act with impunity.

Nepotism is the reason why most companies in Nigeria are not doing well. A lot of incompetent people everywhere.

10 Likes 2 Shares

Re: How Do I Deal With Nepotism In My Workplace? by Omoalaji12: 4:30pm On Jun 26, 2023
A lot of people commenting don't even know the meaning of the word nepotism lol.

Here is what it means "the practice among those with power or influence of favoring relatives, friends, or associates, especially by giving them jobs."

Well, you will need a good career advice in Nigeria to help you navigate this. I will say, get to know the team. take it from there.

1 Like 2 Shares

Re: How Do I Deal With Nepotism In My Workplace? by Majesty33(m): 4:30pm On Jun 26, 2023
My brother, you can not stop it if u reside in the western part of Nigeria. Nepotism runs in their blood to the point that, they can employ a mediocre into office due to tribal advantage.

4 Likes

Re: How Do I Deal With Nepotism In My Workplace? by Nobody: 4:30pm On Jun 26, 2023
Uhn

(1) (2) (3) (4) (Reply)

Why People Who Earn Less Than You Achieve More Than You / A Week In The Life Of A Female Cab Driver / Why Are There No Female Generals In The Nigerian Army?

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 36
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.