Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,150,851 members, 7,810,280 topics. Date: Saturday, 27 April 2024 at 04:39 AM

The Hole In The Wall - Literature (18) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Entertainment / Literature / The Hole In The Wall (434654 Views)

The Wall Between Us. A Novel By EneChelsea / A Short Story - The Wall Between- Haruna Shukurat / lovely new series to read: The Wall Betweeen by Shukura Haruna (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) ... (15) (16) (17) (18) (19) (20) (21) ... (100) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: The Hole In The Wall by Ann2012(f): 3:57am On May 23, 2018
Thanks for the update Boss @Souloho19, please nothing should happen to Emma

1 Like

Re: The Hole In The Wall by emperorblog(m): 6:19am On May 23, 2018
REQD COOL AND INTERESTING STORY ON www.emperorblog.com.ng
Re: The Hole In The Wall by souloho19(m): 8:56am On May 23, 2018
Dedication: helenbee quenitee Godwinfury phoenixchap preshb joshnes paafin cindy1000 ekopsparoayara pweetygiftofGod silvertrinity oroolorun evaristomonarch kaycee9242 raingirl mekonglobal ann2012 emperorblog I hrt you guys big time!

:::::::::::::::

Now before you judge me for my next actions, take a minute and try and understand where I'm coming from....I mean where I'm really coming from;

Two years ago I came within an inch of losing every one who meant more than a shoelace to me. It was a horrible period to be me and the cause of it all was Chief Amunike. J.

Lives had been lost (Fumi came to mind) and also deaths had been faked (Fome' came to mind) the root cause of it all was chief Amunike. J

Not to talk of the countless families that had been scattered or destroyed over the past decades all thanks to one chief Amunike J.

But finally lady justice had the last laugh and the very bad chief Amunike had been put away, to pay for the many atrocities he had commited.

Everything was alright with the world again.

I moved on, started a family.

Now my wife was in the hospital.

My child had been taken.

And whose name should pop up but the same chief Amunike J.

The same chief that was suffering in the maximum security prison, struggling everyday not to 'drop the soap'?

Now here he was, this evil man living like a king. In his robe that was probably 100% cotton, devouring the kind of fish that my family of 5 ate on rare occasions with our meal during my childhood and here I was, I hadn't even eaten anything since the roadside beans and bread Andy and I had the previous morning on our way to exhume the body.

Suddenly it was too much to take in and I snapped. I grabbed the tray of fish from the table and flung it across the room and I gripped the chief by his robe and pulled him roughly to his feet.

I noticed with disgust that the once slender chief was now quite heavy in the middle. The man was getting fat in prison!

"Rex, snap out of it! what's come over you?" he cried out in suprise as I forced him against the wall.

The warden protested and from the corner of my eye I saw Bami raise his hand prepared to hold him off.

"I want my daughter back....where are you holding her?!" I barked

He looked suprised and was speechless so I repeated my question and tightened my grip.

"hey you can't do that!" the warden said

The chief stammered "your daughter....Rex I didn't even know you had a daughter"

He seemed sincere but I did't believe the deceitful old fox.

"how long have you known Fome was alive?" I shouted

His eyes widened "Fome is alive?"

I sighed in frustration and fought down the urge to slap him. "don't play games with me"

"okay that's enough!" the warden decided and started forward but Bami held up his hand in a 'halt' gesture and placed his other hand on his hip just very close to his unholstered weapon. That stopped the man in his tracks.

"No maybe you shouldn't play games with me" the chief said and his eyes hardened "you come to my place, reject my hospitality, assault me then accuse me of playing games? does this look like a game I'm enjoying?" he asked angrily.

"Why did you order the hit on Fome two years ago" I asked him

The question came out of nowhere and he was disoriented for some seconds. "w-what?"

"that's it I'm radioing for back up, this is unlawful" the chief warden said and unhooked his walkie talkie from his belt.

The chief shook his head as if to clear it. "Maxwell don't worry, that wouldn't be necessary" he shrugged my hands away then strolled to a drawer beside the bed. He removed a packet of menthol cigarettes and a gold lighter. "A new habit of mine...." he said as he lit the stick. He blew the smoke in Bami's direction before facing me. "Rex i thought we agreed to let sleeping dogs lie"

"There was no such agreement and no sleeping dogs for that matter" I replied with clenched teeth.

"ooooh.....but its in the past my boy, its all in the past"

"No its not....Fome is still alive and she has my daughter and I'm sure its only a matter of time before she comes after you herself"

"frankly I don't care if she's alive or dead, I'm sorry she has your daughter, and as for her coming after me...." he smiled confidently "i'd like to see her try"

And he was right....wether we liked it or not he had built some kind of fortress for himself in prison. There was no way we could give him the same treatment we had given the hotel manager earlier. We'd just end up being the ones dangling from the balcony.

"Look chief, please your'e a parent....I know how much you love your daughter...try to imagine how I'm feeling...how would you feel if you lost her." I said pleadingly

He laughed "you mean the same Ada my daughter whom you put in grave danger?"

I scratched my head remembering how close she had been to joining the unfortunate people six feet under whose only crime had been knowing me.

"you're just so full of double standards aren't you.." he smiled and settled in his chair and took a long drink from his juice.

"what was Fome and Mona after the night you came?" I asked again although i was getting frustrated with the lack of control I had over the situation.

"face it Rex...the world may see you as the people's defender...as the defender of the universe" he said mockingly "but you and I both know who you really are....a misguided soul whose heart is as dark as mine...even darker"

"what are you even saying for God's sake?!"

"I'm saying you're a murderous sociopath hiding behind the flag of goodwill to carry out your fantasies"

"would you answer the question....all these comfort that is deceiving you can be taken away in the blink of an eye...and I can make that happen" Bami said with chagrin.

The chief held my gaze before he turned slowly to Bami. "you know I seriously doubt that"

"Look here you cocky bastard" I kicked the half eaten fish on the floor in his direction Leaving a trail of fish bits all over the floor. "you're right about one thing....I'm feeling very murderous right now and i could just act without thinking"

"Now you resort to threats....you see what i say about double standards...one minute you're begging the next you're bragging....forgetting that YOU made yourself my foe....you could have been my right hand man, but you had to get self righteous with me!"

Bami looked at me with intent. He stepped back, not taking his eyes off the warden then locked the door.

I looked around and saw the remote on the bed. I picked it up and increased the television just a little. My intention was clear, and the chief's speaker would frown any sound effectively.

"I'm going to ask you for the last time...what was Fome after that night...and why did you put the hit on her?"

The chief sighed, crossed his legs on his table and blew the poisonous smoke in my direction.
"Don't think I'm telling you what I'm about to tell you because of your theatrics..." he looked at Bami "If Rex is deceived by his rare victory two years ago...you should know better. At least you've seen me in action...I'm not the kind of man you threaten"

He looked at me "my boy...I never knew Fome was aware of what the widows initiative was really about..but apparently she was aware all along same with her sister, your friend's LovePeddler of a wife or wife of a LovePeddler" he laughed merrily.

"Anyway" he resumed when his cackling had died down "when your greedy self stole the money from me she went beserk and demanded I remove you from my carefully spun web of strategies that would have made you a very rich man by the way. And when I refused, she threatened to expose the widows initiative" he took another long pull from his drink " And like I said earlier...I don't respond well to threats"

He slammed the half empty juice box on the table and belched loudly. "there you have it....you know the rest"

"So what did they want that night?" Bami asked.

The chief rolled his eyes at Bami and crushed the cigarrete which had been smoked to the filter in the ash tray.

"Didn't you hear what I just said? try and keep up okay....she managed to turn the hit I put on her around and she came for the money...she had been a poor church rat most of her life so the idea of 250 million was just too great...."

"What else where they after? you're hiding something chief....what were you trying to protect that night?"

"I was trying to protect my daughter!"

I rubbed my tired eyes slowly. "chief something else was going on...they were not just after money, please tell me anything you know...please"

The chief warden cleared his throat "ehem...i believe that's enough for now"

"you stay out of it...you're already in enough trouble for running this place like a hotel" I snapped at him.

I focused on the chief whose focus was now on the news cnn was currently breaking on the Tv.

"okay, why did you give the contract to an outsider when you had the effective sunset shadows under your employ?" I asked him

he didn't look away from the television but I saw the disgust run over his features and he couldn't keep it out of his voice when he replied. "I gave the job to the top shadow himself, but I don't know how she did it but she seduced the idiot and he abandoned his duties and even helped her evade capture so many times from the ever incompetent agent Bami" he said with biting sarcasm.
"that was why you were able to take out the most elite and effective strike team this country has ever seen....they were without a leader and tasked with the successful...err...emigration of our widow friends" he said indignantly.

"There was something else in the house that night....something you wanted safe at all cost, something i'm guessing fome wanted to have" I said

"There you go spinning tales again as if you didn't know I had coke worth millions in the house" he shook his head "stop searching for what isn't there, it can't be found"

"are you aware their father...the man you murdered years ago survived and was bent on having revenge on your family?"

His eyes widened and for the first time he didn't seem so comfortable "but you stopped him, saved everyone that attended my crowning as the man of the year for my efforts and philantropy." he smiled, remembering the irony of the award "I must admit I'm upset he couldn't even take the time to visit an old friend in prison"

I rubbed my head as the pounding ache resumed. This man was impossible and it was already past 7am....we were wasting time without getting anything done.

"Chief I believe your children are in danger...mortal danger...you'd be helping them by telling me what I need to know"

He scoffed "please, unlike you I know how to protect my family"

"there's only so much you can do from a prison far away" Bami said irritatedly. He seemed really pissed off with the chief and his voice didn't hide it.

"It matters not...all I need is to make a call" he made a telephone gesture with his thumb and last finger. "ring ring, hello two men are in my place...they interrupted my breakfast and are getting on my nerves...take care of them when they leave the prison" he put his imaginary phone in his pocket and smiled "Just like that and you're gone....all for throwing my fish on the floor"

I was dumbfounded. I hadn't expected to meet the chief in such comfort still with his connections and still very much in charge more or less. I turned and glared at the chief warden who was shuffling his feet restlessly.

"can't you hear this?!" I shouted "Its just like he was never locked up..your actions put him back in power and lives are in danger because of you"

"Oh calm your tits my boy...no one is in danger, I'm just serving my hundred year jail term in peace and quiet, thats all" the chief replied

"with or without your help, I'd find out what I need to know" I narrowed my eyes. "And don't call me your boy"

::::::::::::::::::::

Tonye was earlier than early. She had showered in the office then rushed home for a change of clothes and headed straight to the rendevouz point.

Now she was there, sitted in a lone booth watching the door intently. her stomach growled in hunger and she decided she might as well have breakfast so she ordered a pizza - large (for his sake) and garlic bread.

She glanced round as she waited for her order. She spent the time glancing repeatedly at her wrist watch and watching the entrance. The pizza arrived and she nibbled on the garlic bread, enjoying the way the cheese melted in her mouth.

Finally she saw Bigelow enter the eatery and she checked the time. It was barely ten minutes past 8 and she had been waiting for over 30 minutes. His eyes scanned the faces slowly until they settled on her. He was a light skinned middle aged man with a full head of hair and a shaved jaw.

He made his way to the table and without a word worked open the box of pizza and took a slice. Only after he had swallowed the first bite did he look at her. "Tonye....what do I owe this pleasure...you know you have no right to contact us again, you're not one of us anymore" he said in a low voice that could only be heard by Tonye although the nearest tables were unoccupied.

" please spare me the sermon Big" she said "I need a favour"

He took another bite "I was afraid of that" he said softly "tell me, what is it?"

"I need you to find out who was responsible for the nation wide A.P.B on Fome about two years ago and put her in the most wanted."

She took a slice although her half eaten garlic bread remained in the box as Bigelow stumbled about for a word to say.

Finally he said. "That's a serious offence you want me to commit...and frankly, its way above my pay grade....yours too"

"I don't have a choice....my husband is in danger my friend also-"

"That reminds me...I heard you got married"

"Yes.....to agent Bami"

"Woa...the senior agent?" Bigelow asked downing his fifth or sixth piece.

"Yes"

"You know I owe that man my life....he saved me once during the suicide bomber fiasco five years ago....I never had the chance to pay him back...." his voice trailed off as he remembered the event he spoke about.

"Until now" Tonye said

"Hun?"

"Now you have the chance to save his life"

"Oh....and I'd do that gladly Tonye but-"

"Ah ah ah.....no buts...you owe me big, and now you owe Bami too...you don't have a choice you need to help us"

Actually he had a choice. He could stand up and leave but she was counting on the fact that he was fiercely loyal and her gamble paid of because Bigelow sighed "shit! I hope this doesn't come back to bite me in the ass."

:::::::::::::::::::::::::::

She hummed as she stood over the camp gas, making sure the flame was on low heat so as not to burn the french toast she was making.

She had checked all available flights to jos and she had an idea what time to expect Rex.
She was going to make sure he hit the ground running.

12 Likes 1 Share

Re: The Hole In The Wall by phoenixchap: 9:34am On May 23, 2018
Thanks for the mention boss...

Following wink

1 Like

Re: The Hole In The Wall by rchilee: 9:57am On May 23, 2018
Hmmmm

1 Like

Re: The Hole In The Wall by Charminee(f): 10:29am On May 23, 2018
Nawa oh

1 Like

Re: The Hole In The Wall by explosive04(m): 12:11pm On May 23, 2018
Hmmmmm...u are the best sir..

1 Like

Re: The Hole In The Wall by Preshb(f): 4:27pm On May 23, 2018
There is nothing money can't do, even in prison the chief commands authority both in and outside prison. thanks for the mention/update

1 Like

Re: The Hole In The Wall by Mynet11(m): 6:02pm On May 23, 2018
Ua a genius soul, always subscribing cos of u. Thumbs up

1 Like 1 Share

Re: The Hole In The Wall by wizsolzy(m): 8:12pm On May 23, 2018
Big ups bro.. u r good

1 Like 1 Share

Re: The Hole In The Wall by paafin(m): 8:48pm On May 23, 2018
Nice one, boss

Solidly behind you!

1 Like

Re: The Hole In The Wall by sussybae(f): 9:37pm On May 23, 2018
thanks

1 Like

Re: The Hole In The Wall by mekonglobal(m): 11:25pm On May 23, 2018
Amazing! Ride on Soulo.

1 Like

Re: The Hole In The Wall by Nobody: 12:39am On May 24, 2018
u are talented bro....kip it up

1 Like

Re: The Hole In The Wall by Oroolorun(m): 6:32am On May 24, 2018
I would have punch chief Amunike before I even know I have do if am in Rex shop.
Ride on Oga Souloho19, you are the man.

1 Like

Re: The Hole In The Wall by Silvertrinity(f): 9:07am On May 24, 2018
its getting interesting

1 Like

Re: The Hole In The Wall by Godwinfury(m): 10:06am On May 24, 2018
**sighs** This is becoming too much for Obasi, wish him breakthrough sha. Souloho19...You already know what I want to say.

2 Likes

Re: The Hole In The Wall by queenitee(f): 11:10am On May 24, 2018
This is getting serious o

1 Like

Re: The Hole In The Wall by Warfibabe(f): 12:45pm On May 24, 2018
maybe it's just me ... but I don't think it's fome. very sure bodies were switched in the coffin, but fome might still be dead. I am almost positive it's Mona, she 'died' in the explosion with her pregnancy, and the unknown suspect reminisced about her pregnancy that she lost in the fire, while she watched Rex's sleeping baby...
Having read his other 2 works, with souloho we will guess till eternity!
Nice one!

1 Like

Re: The Hole In The Wall by donnaD(f): 1:28pm On May 24, 2018
wao wao this is just too great souloho19 u kept me addicted to ur stories and timely updates kip it up more grace.

1 Like

Re: The Hole In The Wall by souloho19(m): 7:12pm On May 24, 2018
Warfibabe:
maybe it's just me ... but I don't think it's fome. very sure bodies were switched in the coffin, but fome might still be dead. I am almost positive it's Mona, she 'died' in the explosion with her pregnancy, and the unknown suspect reminisced about her pregnancy that she lost in the fire, while she watched Rex's sleeping baby...
Having read his other 2 works, with souloho we will guess till eternity!
Nice one!

this is strong o.... shocked shocked in fact you're not just thinking outside the box you're sitting on the box....nice one ma'am

@ emboldened Fome was the one who 'died' in the explosion Mona was shot by Bami's people , that was when she managed to tell him about the widows initiative before dying .

2 Likes

Re: The Hole In The Wall by souloho19(m): 7:13pm On May 24, 2018
DonnaD warfibabe queenitee Godwinfury silvertrinity oroolorun ladidacanon mekonglobal paafin sussybae Wizsolzy mynet11 preshb explosive04 helenbee ekopsparoayara charminee rchilee phoenixchap

::::::::::::::::

Ryan Bigelow was a spy. That was the best word to describe him. Little wonder his life had needed saving on more than one occasion and there were still about one or two other people he owed 'big time'

He had been asignend to the counterterrorism unit and had been part of the squad that had operated in Egypt in the late 90s.

During the time of the Ikeja bomb blast in 2002, A young cleric who attended prayers fervently in a small mosque in a village in North Cairo happened to gather intelligence from nereby charter about a possible strike on the 'cantonment'

The cleric had immediately radioed the information to his superior. Agent Bigelow.

Bigelow had been momentarily confused, was it an attack on Egyptian soil or what? Cantonment....was that some kind of code word or...

The next day which was the second day in January, the news shocked the world that one of Nigeria's largest military cantonment had suffered an 'amoury explosion'

A large stock of military explosives stored in the baracks had 'accidentaly' went off as a result of a fire that started in the street market next to the base, or as a result of careless handling or as a result of an itentional act. Whatever the cause, it was a disaster

Over a thousand people had been killed and over 20,000 had been rendered homeless and severely wounded.

Bigelow never forgave himself.

So when years later, the cleric had given him information he intercepted once again about this time about 'severing the North from south'...Bigelow had immediately reached out to a senior agent.

A race against time and frantic investigation led the agents to the Niger bridge. Bomb sniffing dogs were deployed and a stop and search had been set up immediately. Bigelow himself had flown to Lagos and he and the senior agent who was officially called 'agent John' but whose real name was Bami oversaw the stop and search themselves.

The traffic they caused stretched for miles and Bigelow was begining to think they had misinterpreted the information when suddenly a young pregnant woman came running towards the bridge from her vehicle which was stuck in traffic miles from the bridge.

One of the agents cautioned her to stop but she ignored. At the time Bigelow was searching a transport bus and about to wave it on when he glanced up and saw the woman running towards him with madness in her eyes and he thought; this is it.....

But suddenly her body was lifted from the floor and she landed with a violent thud as the life left her eyes.

She had been shot, right between her eyes....a perfect head shot.
Agent Bami stood behind his smoking gun and warned the agents to keep away. Then he and Bigelow (who had 'almost' lost control of his bladder) approached the body and found out the bump beneath her dress was not a pregnancy but about ten kilos of c4 taped to her stomach. The timer showed they had less than two minutes before detonation.

Bami instructed every agent to bring their handcuffs and in a matter of seconds the dead bomber had been handcuffed up to her elbows and down to her knees. Even the handcuffs were handcuffed.

Then she was thrown over the bridge into the river. The weight of the explosive plus the added weight of the handcuffs sent her to the bottom immediately. The bomb went off 30 seconds later and the vibration shook the bridge, threatening to collapse it. But that was all. The civil engineers would need to go under water and have a look at the foundation of the pillars but the important thing was no life had been lost.

A month later, a bomb went of in the mosque in Cairo, Egypt. Killing about a dozen men who had gathered for a secret meeting.

Bigelow could never forget that day, the day Bami had saved his life. He owed the man and if there was one thing Ryan Bigelow never failed to do, it was pay his debt.

So he took the task Tonye had given him very seriously. It was bad enough Bami was blacklisted as a defector but to start digging into the hierarchy of the agency was simply a death wish.
So as he drove to the counselor's office he cracked his mind on ways he could get the information without rousing suspicion.

:::::::::::::::::::

I looked at the self satisfied smirk on the Chief's face and I felt an intense hatred for the man. Over an hour had been wasted on him and I hadn't learnt anything useful and my flight was in less than 3 hours.

"Maybe we should visit your wife...coming to you was a mistake, I'm sure your wife would be more cooperative" I said.

He scoffed "good luck with that" but there was an edge in his voice.

"How do you intend to leave this room anyway?" the warden said angrily. "The door can only be opened from outside and this empty head already shut it" he jabbed his finger at Bami.

"Then radio for help" I said

I shook my head in disgust when the mad man looked at the chief for confirmation.

"Yeah, go on....I'd like some fruit also...I don't know if my visitors would like a bite, they look hungry" the chief said heartily.

"Bleep you' Bami hissed.

Barely 5 minutes later there was a beep from the other side of the door and it was pushed open. An armed prison guard escorted a warden who had a bowl full of oranges, water melon, banana, cuccumbers.......

The armed guard who held his rifle at the ready oscillated to and fro, looking from Bami to me and Bami again.

It was time to leave.

"Chief know this....if I find out you have something to do with all that is happening....I'd be back to feed that murderous rage you talked about earlier. Goodwill aside."

He smiled "you have nothing to worry about, I'm just living my life one day at a time and learning so much in here....the outside world has nothing to offer me. For now anyway"

We left the cell or should I say we left the suite or villa, grateful to be away from the jumpy guard with the itching trigger finger.

Bami bent down and returned the gun to his ankle holster under his baggy jeans. The guards had treated us with respect not giving us a pat down so they were unaware Bami had a second gun.

Breakfast was ongoing and in the many cells we passed no one paid attention to us or insulted us as was their culture mouths were too busy chewing food.

"Heey....Rex you bastard!" A angry voice suddenly shouted as we passed an overcrowded cell.

I stopped immediately. Who knew my name?
"Who said that?" I asked.

"I did....what are you going to do?" A smallish man stepped foward and gripped the cell bars.

He looked vaguely familiar and as I searched my memory I noticed his head was bent to one side. As if his neck had been twisted.
I remembered him immediately. He was Jumbo, one of the men who had been sent to kill me. I remember slamming him into my room window and trapping his head between the buglary. I also remembered slamming his head from behind into the wall again while he still had a neck brace from before. It seemed I had left a permanent damage. His head wobbled in all directions like it was balanced on a spring instead of a neck.

I moved on without a word and he rained curses after me.

When we got to the main lobby we were given our phones and Bami's gun was returned to him.

Once we were outside heading to our truck, Bami looked at me "what do we do about the chief....he's not in a prison...he's in a palace!"

I waited for him to open the door, watching a guard in the watch tower who studied us through the scope of his sniper.

The central lock clicked open and I hurried inside the truck and fastened my seatbelt. "The first step is to get the hell out of here first"

Once we were out the main gate of the prison I breathed easily again. "The chief is the real head warden of that prison...reminds me of Pablo Escobar who built the prison he was sentenced to..."

"We have to be able to do something....him living like that, that's not justice!" Bami said as he slowed down at an intersection.

"I have a feeling anyone we go to isn't going to do anything about it" I said.

"Then we go to the press" Bami replied.

I thought about it for a second then nodded slowly. I thought of the reporter who had ripped me apart in her article. "I think I know just the right kind of press for this"

I glanced at my watch. It was few minutes to 8. "In the meantime should we go check out the chief's wife or head straight to the counselor's office?" I asked him.
Bami didn't even think about it "Let's find out what Mrs. Benita knows"

I knew he was having second thoughts about following the counselor plan up and to be honest I wasn't excited with the idea but I was desperate enough to do anything for my family.

:::::::::::::::

Buzz kept watch over Olivia. Standing guard outside the intensive care unit not even going to relieve himself when his bladder threatened to burst.

When the doctor came hurrying out he held him back
"doctor how is she?" He asked worriedly

The physician scratched his goatee as if considering what to divulge and what to keep to himself. Finally he made up his mind "well... the bullet passed clean through her right knee but we had to remove it from the other...its badly shattered and we need to reconstruct the knee if she's ever going to walk again, but right now the priority is keeping her stable cause she lost a lot of blood....wait are you the husband?"

"Yes I am"

"Then I'd advice you to pray...hope and pray"

::::::::::::::::::::::::

Clyde scrubbed the blood off the floor with a vengeance. It was a lot of blood and he couldn't believe it came from one person. Even his latex gloves were no longer white but a dark shade of crimson.

Some of the blood had found its way under the bed and he stretched fully trying to mop the blood up. He didn't want the family to see the blood when thery woke up or Rex for that matter when he arrived. It would drive him mad.

He felt something stuck in the napkin as he rinsed the blood off the rag in a bowl.

He unfolded the napkin carefully and saw the cylindrical metal same size with his smallest finger. He held it up trying to guess the type of gun the shell casing had come from. He stood up, noticing with irritation that his trouser was stained red.

::::::::::::::::::

She munched her french toast as she composed the message she would send to Rex once he touched down. She gulped her coffee then studied the little girl who was still asleep. She was well prepared...baby food and enough diapers to last for a week. Although she didn't plan for them to remain in Jos for up to a week.

:::::::::::::::::

Bami brought my attention to the car. I was replaying the conversation with the chief in my mind and I glanced at the side mirror when he pointed it out. Sure enough there was a Toyota space bus a little distance away.

There was nothing but the open road with bush and trees on either side so shaking the tail was out of the question. "Are you sure...it looks like a transport vehicle, you know this is a travel route"

"I noticed it few minutes after we left the prison, I tried some subtle evasion techniques including the fuel I bought however the car keeps following. They're tailing us"

I shook my head in a 'not again' gesture. "Who do you think it is...?"

"I don't know...my guess is its the the chief, I don't think he wants us questioning his wife"

I frowned "but if he doesn't want us questioning his wife, tailing us can't stop us now..."

The words were barely out of my mouth when a jeep swerved from the lane of cars going in the opposite direction directly infront of us. Bami hit the breaks immediately causing a screeching sound as the tires marked the highway.

The doors opened and four men in face masks got out. Each of them had a deadly looking assault rifle aimed at us.

I hit the central lock while my heart began moving like a yo-yo.

Bami had drawn his gun but he sat paralyzed as the muzzles aimed at us drew nearer.

"Throw your weapons out the window...very slowly, do it now!" One of them barked and I raised both hands immediately.

Bami's gun remained in his lap.

"I'm going to say it one more time...throw your weapons out the window or we will shoot!"

"Bami for God's sake do it!" I cried out when he still hesitated.

He lowered his window then slowly threw his gun out.
"Leave your hands outside and step out of the car" the gunman ordered.
"Bami step on the break..." I whispered without moving my lips. He complied and I pressed the button on the gear then moved it from D to the last R.
"Now accelerate....as hard as you can"

Bami complied and the car shot backwards. I had bent as low as possible expecting the men to open fire on us but they didn't.
I soon knew why they didn't bother when the hilux ran into the sienna which had been parked sideways to block the road. Again the seatbelt saved me from flying through the windshield. Four men had also highlighted from the vehicle and we were trapped on the highway between 8 armed men.
One of them signalled Bami to unlock the door but without waiting for a reply he slammed the butt of his gun into the window, smashing it then with his weapon still trained on Bami, another of hid 'colleague' pulled Bami out the window roughly.
I opened my door and stepped out with my hands up "hold on...hold on...let's take a second and calm down..."
"Get on your knees!"
"Oh...God...." I knelt down thinking I was going to be killed before I could rescue my daughter.
Bami was also held in a kneeling position and the dog who barked the orders. Gave his rifle to one of his men. He removed something from his pocket and I gave a sigh of relief when I saw what it was. Brass knuckles, they didn't plan to kill us but they were going to beat the living day light out of us.

The man started with Bami's stomach, taking his time delivering blow after blow to Bami's midsection while another didn't even let him double over from the pain but held him upright.
"No...please stop..." I cried
"Wait your turn" someone slapped me from behind.

The road was blocked on both sides now and drivers were blasting their horns impatiently.
One of the gunmen released a spurt of bullets to the sky and the noise stopped immediately. I heard doors slamming amidst frightened screams.
Cars were being abandoned.

Bami coughed up blood and it was horrible to see the brass knuckle connect with his lips splitting it open and splattering blood on the road.
The man holding him released him and Bami fell to the ground unconscious. They rolled him like a sack of garri to the side of the road.
The brass knuckled man approached me.
I tried to stand up but hands held me in place.
"Don't be a coward...face me like a man, show me your face!"
"Bring the gift, lets give him now because I think he would be unconscious very soon" The sienna's door opened and closed and a gunman stood before me with a nylon bag.
He emptied the contents before me and I looked at the half eaten fish with a kaleidoscope of emotions flashing through me.
"Didn't your mama teach you not to interrupt someone's meal?!"

The first blow landed in my stomach, it felt like my intestines had been tied in a knot. It was so painful I gladly passed out before the second punch landed.

9 Likes 1 Share

Re: The Hole In The Wall by queenitee(f): 7:33pm On May 24, 2018
The chief!!!

2 Likes

Re: The Hole In The Wall by Warfibabe(f): 8:40pm On May 24, 2018
souloho19:

this is strong o.... shocked shocked in fact you're not just thinking outside the box you're sitting on the box....nice one ma'am

@ emboldened Fome was the one who 'died' in the explosion Mona was shot by Bami's people , that was when she managed to tell him about the widows initiative before dying .
yea datz true I remember. but still doesn't make the culprit fome sha. it's all too easy.

1 Like

Re: The Hole In The Wall by Joislim(f): 9:12pm On May 24, 2018
The Chief is still in charge even in the prison.
What sort of justice system is that.
Ride on soul. ..i hope they don't kill Rex oo

1 Like

Re: The Hole In The Wall by phoenixchap: 9:22pm On May 24, 2018
Kikikikiki.... Rex oh, 1 blow 7 die, I'm still reeking with laughter. grin grin grin

1 Like

Re: The Hole In The Wall by Oroolorun(m): 12:28am On May 25, 2018
Thank God Oga Souloho19 don vex. No more waiting!
Rex break cup (fk up) big time. He should have punch d chief when he had d opportunity.
Oga Souloho19, now that you have spoil us with regular updates, abeg let the good work continue o.

1 Like

Re: The Hole In The Wall by paafin(m): 6:13am On May 25, 2018
Rex's been waiting to faint..

Oga boss, Ride on sir..

1 Like

Re: The Hole In The Wall by Princiology(m): 6:35am On May 25, 2018
Hello, my name is Inioluwa Olaposi. I am a freelance writer/editor.

I write professional articles (500 words) for a token of #500.
You can also get your already written article edited for #500 only.
However, there are no limits to the words I can write for you, depending on your choice.

Contact (WhatsApp)- 08144201894
Mail - princiology2@gmail.com

I look forward to working with you.
Sincerely,
Inioluwa Olaposi.
Re: The Hole In The Wall by pweetygiftofGod(f): 7:58am On May 25, 2018
Aye mi o shocked

1 Like

Re: The Hole In The Wall by dimssy(m): 10:34am On May 25, 2018
BRODA SOLo.... how far nah?
the suspense is killing.
Good job manh

1 Like

Re: The Hole In The Wall by Ann2012(f): 11:29am On May 25, 2018
Thanks for the update

1 Like

(1) (2) (3) ... (15) (16) (17) (18) (19) (20) (21) ... (100) (Reply)

Unfulfilled Promises By Audrey Timms / A Man To Call Her Own / SPEECHLESS:A Story By Marianneada

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 129
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.