Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,153,744 members, 7,820,567 topics. Date: Tuesday, 07 May 2024 at 05:15 PM

Reading Can Get You High - Education (2) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Education / Reading Can Get You High (11739 Views)

Things Everyone Who’s Written An Exam Without Reading Can Relate To / How Pleasure Reading Can Improve Students’ Writing Skills / How Reading Can Improve Your I.Q Reasoning By 2% In 2018 (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Reading Can Get You High by piagetskinner(m): 1:27pm On Mar 09, 2018
the sad thing about we nigerians is that we hardly put what we've read into good use

1 Like

Re: Reading Can Get You High by CofOLandOfPeace(m): 1:32pm On Mar 09, 2018
Interesting article. You are opinionated. Your view seems valid.
Re: Reading Can Get You High by Kayceenaz(m): 1:58pm On Mar 09, 2018
Mindfulness:
A reading culture is cultivated at home during a person's formative years and/or by good teachers. A skilled reader enjoys a good book as much as a good film. The letters on the page do not only mean something but trigger imagination. However, if you have problems understanding what you actually read because you are not a proficient reader, you will never enjoy the pleasure that reading can create, but find the activity strenuous.

"A reading culture is cultivated at home during a person's formative years and/or by good teachers." This assertion is narrow in perspective. It excludes possible unconventional cases of where non-literate adults at some point could metamorphose to literates and develop a reading culture. Thus, the reading skill is open to persons who fancy its salience and are determined to acquire it.

Nevertheless, I concur to your emphasis on the link between a robust reading skill and enjoyment of reading. Meanwhile, some persons today possess good reading skills and yet find reading gruelling. I reckon it all boils down to INTEREST. If one's interest in the reading activity is sky-high, it is capable of dismantling barriers of either non-literacy or disinterestedness.
Re: Reading Can Get You High by Kayceenaz(m): 2:02pm On Mar 09, 2018
CofOLandOfPeace:
Interesting article. You are opinionated. Your view seems valid.
Opinionated? I don't think so. I'm a liberal thinker who is attracted to that which is pragmatic and positive.

1 Like

Re: Reading Can Get You High by Kayceenaz(m): 2:08pm On Mar 09, 2018
piagetskinner:
the sad thing about we nigerians is that we hardly put what we've read into good use
Bros, not all Nigerians are guilty! Don't hastily generalize. The fela Durotoye and Chimamanda Adichie of our time, for instance, show that the reverse is doable by people of Nigerian extraction.
Re: Reading Can Get You High by Deo1986(m): 2:11pm On Mar 09, 2018
piagetskinner:
I mostly read spiritual books...I want to be versatile in other areas as well I.e books on motivation business psychology fiction etc

any recommendations?
what type of spiritual books have you read? On motivation get Robert Schuller's Success is never ending, failure is not final. On psychology get Freud or Jung. Fiction? What type?
Re: Reading Can Get You High by Kayceenaz(m): 2:13pm On Mar 09, 2018
Aden777:
I wonder when reading turn to SK
My brother, just try it. Even when you feel like dropping the book, continue, persist and assimilate those points made in that good self-enhancing book. Thank me later.
Re: Reading Can Get You High by Kayceenaz(m): 2:16pm On Mar 09, 2018
NwanyiAwkaetiti:
High on knowledge or what
High on knowledge. Amassing knowledge is capable of making you reach ecstacy. You feel so big, strong, and invincible. A good self-enhancing book can get you there.
Re: Reading Can Get You High by Kayceenaz(m): 2:28pm On Mar 09, 2018
olowobaba10:
READING IS BORING, MOVIES MAKE ME HIGH
Mentally change this preconception about reading you have. Displace "reading is boring" in your mind with reading is spirit-lifting.
Re: Reading Can Get You High by Nobody: 2:32pm On Mar 09, 2018
Reading for a long time gives me headache, I also heard that reading for long without relaxing can make you run mad.
Re: Reading Can Get You High by Kayceenaz(m): 2:33pm On Mar 09, 2018
piagetskinner:
I mostly read spiritual books...I want to be versatile in other areas as well I.e books on motivation business psychology fiction etc

any recommendations?
Read The Secret, No More Excuses: The Power of Self-Discipline, Power of Character in Leadership by Myles Munroe, You Can If You Think You Can by Norman Vincent Peale. Let me stop here.
Re: Reading Can Get You High by Kayceenaz(m): 2:45pm On Mar 09, 2018
Chikita66:
Reading for a long time gives me headache, I also heard that reading for long without relaxing can make you run mad.
Reading is like working out. The more you read, the more you develop stamina in the activity. Headache is often a signal the brain gives you that it is saturated and needs a break. If this happens at the end of just two hours, it is an indication you need to increase your reading muscles.

Before you know it, you're doing 4-6 hours at a stretch with understanding. The highest I've done so far at a time is 6 hours. Am I still sane? Yes. That "run mad" cliché is a myth. Reading, I stand to be corrected, cannot be a sole causal factor of madness. So don't give up, keep reading!

3 Likes 1 Share

Re: Reading Can Get You High by Nobody: 2:48pm On Mar 09, 2018
Kayceenaz:

Reading is like working out. The more you read, the more you develop stamina in the activity. Headache is often a signal the brain gives you that it is saturated and needs a break. If this happens at the end of just two hours, it is an indication you need to increase your reading muscles.

Before you know it, you're doing 4-6 hours at a stretch with understanding. The highest I've done so far at a time is 6 hours. Am I still sane? Yes. That "run mad" cliché is a myth. Reading, I stand to be corrected, cannot be a sole causal factor of madness. So don't give up, keep reading!
I don't read at a stretch, I read one hour, I play for few minutes and go back to my books, that is how I do till I cover the chapters. That's is my own effective study habit. Unless I'm studying a calculation course then I know that I don't need serious concentration then I can solve at hours stretch.
Re: Reading Can Get You High by Nobody: 3:26pm On Mar 09, 2018
Kayceenaz:

High on knowledge. Amassing knowledge is capable of making you reach ecstacy. You feel so big, strong, and invincible. A good self-enhancing book can get you there.
huh
Re: Reading Can Get You High by smartn09(m): 3:55pm On Mar 09, 2018
Reading can be as good as the author has described but it can also be painful/injurious as he has not talked about.For l could recall the saying "that you are what you has read" reading is consumptual,like every food we take in and it represents us like our words.
It is a means to meet people, commune with them ,weather long time gone , far away living or yet to be known. Read is our words, words of nature which in it we can find everything.
In the modern day struggle for daily survival, people has lost the willingness of reading, its importance and effect.
But ,is it necessary, we forfeit every other things for reading? Or just engaging our mind at our leisure time? It is not as just necessary, for it has no effect on our daily problems neither can it pay the bills and supply the dishes.For the books we need at the moment is no more in print or outrightly out sight which would hv done everything and all things while we occupy our mind & leisure with reading. It has been stollen by our enemies unless we could kill and destroy to retrieve it, then l will assure you that all the problems of the world will be behind and a thing of story.
Dear friend, you has just got a work for us to think and work.
Good day!

1 Like

Re: Reading Can Get You High by Bodex2000(m): 4:20pm On Mar 09, 2018
Trust me it is real. Readers truly are leaders and reading also sometimes feel like you are communicating with your ancestors. Reading self-development books have given me all the drive i've got today. I mean my presence buzzes with the drive i've been able to unlock within me. It all started from God when I borrowed a book titled " The rules of wealth" by richard templar. So buy, in fact download in pdf format a self development book today and see what i'm talking about

1 Like

Re: Reading Can Get You High by Bodex2000(m): 4:26pm On Mar 09, 2018
Kayceenaz:

I'm already doing 8 hours but only for some categories of books. The book category also determines the time you can spend reading at a stretch
Re: Reading Can Get You High by Tin07(m): 6:06pm On Mar 09, 2018
Good one. Readers are leaders. Readers are runners. Reading shapens one's mind.

1 Like

Re: Reading Can Get You High by Kayceenaz(m): 6:16pm On Mar 09, 2018
Bodex2000:

I'm already doing 8 hours but only for some categories of books. The book category also determines the time you can spend reading at a stretch

8 hours? That's impressive. Mine was an academic material. I was so engrossed in it that it seemed like time flew.
Re: Reading Can Get You High by Hungarriman: 10:31pm On Mar 09, 2018
pcguru1:
I am addicted to reading, I always feel there's an information am not knowing, the more i know the more i want to know though some reading is dangerous, one time I read this manifesto by breivik , the Norway terrorist who killed alot of people in 2011, I remember watching it live on TV, the book almost made me Islamophobia.
You are epistemophilic.
Re: Reading Can Get You High by olowobaba10: 9:00am On Mar 10, 2018
AND WHO ARE YOU TO MENTOR ME, I THOUGHT IT'S A FREE WORLD?
Kayceenaz:

Mentally change this preconception about reading you have. Displace "reading is boring" in your mind with reading is spirit-lifting.
Re: Reading Can Get You High by Nickymezor(f): 1:55pm On Mar 10, 2018
cool

1 Like

Re: Reading Can Get You High by Kayceenaz(m): 6:50pm On Mar 10, 2018
olowobaba10:
AND WHO ARE YOU TO MENTOR ME, I THOUGHT IT'S A FREE WORLD?
I'm a preacher of self-development and self-stability. It is indeed a free world, hence my piece of advice earlier which is distant from an imposition.
Re: Reading Can Get You High by piagetskinner(m): 8:58pm On Mar 10, 2018
Kayceenaz:

Read The Secret, No More Excuses: The Power of Self-Discipline, Power of Character in Leadership by Myles Munroe, You Can If You Think You Can by Norman Vincent Peale. Let me stop here.

thanks I'll check them out
Re: Reading Can Get You High by Bodex2000(m): 11:32am On Mar 13, 2018
[quote author=Kayceenaz post=65700674]

8 hours? That's impressive. Mine was an academic material. I was so engrossed in it that it seemed like time flew

Thanks for the compliment.
Re: Reading Can Get You High by Nobody: 7:34am On Mar 21, 2018
smartn09:
Reading can be as good as the author has described but it can also be painful/injurious as he has not talked about.For l could recall the saying "that you are what you has read" reading is consumptual,like every food we take in and it represents us like our words.
It is a means to meet people, commune with them ,weather long time gone , far away living or yet to be known. Read is our words, words of nature which in it we can find everything.
In the modern day struggle for daily survival, people has lost the willingness of reading, its importance and effect.
But ,is it necessary, we forfeit every other things for reading? Or just engaging our mind at our leisure time? It is not as just necessary, for it has no effect on our daily problems neither can it pay the bills and supply the dishes.For the books we need at the moment is no more in print or outrightly out sight which would hv done everything and all things while we occupy our mind & leisure with reading. It has been stollen by our enemies unless we could kill and destroy to retrieve it, then l will assure you that all the problems of the world will be behind and a thing of story.
Dear friend, you has just got a work for us to think and work.
Good day!

I sent you a mail can we communicate there?
Re: Reading Can Get You High by meobizy(f): 7:37pm On Dec 26, 2018
Nairaland and schooling abroad made me build the habit.
I’ve read over ten to fifteen books over the past five years.
My book reading habit is neither here nor there but staying long hours on Nairaland covers up for knowledge untouched.
Re: Reading Can Get You High by Nobody: 8:47pm On Dec 26, 2018
pcguru1:
I am addicted to reading, I always feel there's an information am not knowing, the more i know the more i want to know though some reading is dangerous, one time I read this manifesto by breivik , the Norway terrorist who killed alot of people in 2011, I remember watching it live on TV, the book almost made me Islamophobia.

can i send you a mail , ?I don't really know how to cultivate a good reading habit...
Re: Reading Can Get You High by Nobody: 8:50pm On Dec 26, 2018
Kayceenaz:

bro, I need your help
Re: Reading Can Get You High by Kayceenaz(m): 9:16pm On Dec 26, 2018
Electricboy:

bro, I need your help
Good day! You have my attention.
Re: Reading Can Get You High by Nobody: 9:29pm On Dec 26, 2018
Kayceenaz:

Good day! You have my attention.

please how do I inculcate a good reading habit ?? the type that can make me wake up at 2am in the morning to study

(1) (2) (3) (Reply)

Reports Of Pandemic Is False - Michael Okpara University Of Agriculture, Umudike / Ewerechukwu Asaka Clinches The 2024 Rhodes Scholarship For West Africa / Principal's comments On SS1 Female Student Exam Report Got People Talking (pics)

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 46
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.