Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,152,972 members, 7,817,854 topics. Date: Saturday, 04 May 2024 at 09:14 PM

Itsekiri Names And Their Meaning - Culture (7) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Culture / Itsekiri Names And Their Meaning (50695 Views)

Isoko Names And Their Meaning / Yoruba Names For Girls And Their Meaning / 60 Igbo Names & Their Meaning (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Itsekiri Names And Their Meaning by want2knowben: 2:06am On Feb 09, 2022
Edema is from 'Eda Amo / Eda Ama / Eda a mo/ Eda a ma' = Creature of Clay / Molded Creature. This is 'man', the biblical 'Adam', which a word of Yoruboid origins.

Those translating Edema as gentleman just mean 'man'. Origins of 'gentleman' na anoda Tori entirely.

Happy New Year everyone! �

Efewestern:

You can start by modifying your subsequent comments, u self know say urhobo no dey sabi beef una.

If you so much believe that Edema is a yoruba word then you can start by giving me the meaning, Thou dialect differ but you can easily tell which is Yoruba or not.

Edemadudun - Edema (Edoid) + dudu (Yoruba) .. You don't need a Prof to tell you which itsekiri word is Yoruboid or not, but I will definitely give you prove to my claim.. hold on.

And Gentleman in Yoruba is also Jeje , https://yoruba.english-dictionary.help/english-to-yoruba-meaning-gentleman ..
Re: Itsekiri Names And Their Meaning by Olu317(m): 10:04am On Feb 09, 2022
Efewestern:

You can start by modifying your subsequent comments, u self know say urhobo no dey sabi beef una.

If you so much believe that Edema is a yoruba word then you can start by giving me the meaning, Thou dialect differ but you can easily tell which is Yoruba or not.

Edemadudun - Edema (Edoid) + dudu (Yoruba) .. You don't need a Prof to tell you which itsekiri word is Yoruboid or not, but I will definitely give you prove to my claim.. hold on.

And Gentleman in Yoruba is also Jeje , https://yoruba.english-dictionary.help/english-to-yoruba-meaning-gentleman ..
Do not follow some of these online dictionaries because they can be highly misleading as regard translations.

Besides,there are synonyms for a word in Yoruba language.This is the reason dialectial effects does not count most often because Yoruba language were and are encoded in Ifáodu from one town to another,which makes synonymous words easily exists without people being lost whenever certain issue as this occurs.

Precisely, Jẹ́jẹ́ is a name of mine, which was my grandfather's birth name as well.The name is borne out calmness of a child at birth.The meaning of Jẹ́jẹ́ is Gentle and not Gentleman.

Cheers
Re: Itsekiri Names And Their Meaning by AreaFada2: 1:56am On Feb 10, 2022
Efewestern:

@Bolded My apologies, I meant no harm.. we learn everyday. that's just my little observation, and yes I may be very wrong.
Efewestern, Edema is also a bona fide Edo name. It may not be popular now that 90% of kids names now have "God" as the subject with the spread of Pentecostalism.

Edema means "things are good" but literally "the day is good". Nothing to do with gentleman or whatever in the Edo context.

I don't want to go into this old discussion. All the names in the list are common names in my part of Edo State. Not Akoko Edo but a part of modern Benin Kingdom.

People need to travel and read a bit more before exuding so much confidence and spew whatever they like.

1 Like

Re: Itsekiri Names And Their Meaning by Efewestern: 7:35am On Feb 10, 2022
Olu317:
Do not follow some of these online dictionaries because they can be highly misleading as regard translations.

Besides,there are synonyms for a word in Yoruba language.This is the reason dialectial effects does not count most often because Yoruba language were and are encoded in Ifáodu from one town to another,which makes synonymous words easily exists without people being lost whenever certain issue as this occurs.

Precisely, Jẹ́jẹ́ is a name of mine, which was my grandfather's birth name as well.The name is borne out calmness of a child at birth.The meaning of Jẹ́jẹ́ is Gentle and not Gentleman.

Cheers

Almost all Edoid groups make use of that name. I have also met many eastern yoruboid group with the name, but just like Itsekiri, the likes of Ikale and ilaje were also greatly influenced by Bini.

Edema is also an household name in Ijebu. Maybe one group borrowed from the other.

I asked a question about where the name Ogedegbe originated from some time ago and till date, I still couldn't get an appropriate answer. It's a famous name among my Edoid family and also a famous name in western Nigeria.

AreaFada2:
Efewestern, Edema is also a bona fide Edo name. It may not be popular now that 90% of kids names now have "God" as the subject with the spread of Pentecostalism.

Edema means "things are good" but literally "the day is good". Nothing to do with gentleman or whatever in the Edo context.

I don't want to go into this old discussion. All the names in the list are common names in my part of Edo State. Not Akoko Edo but a part of modern Benin Kingdom.

People need to travel and read a bit more before exuding so much confidence and spew whatever they like.

Then probably, the name Edema has different meaning to the two groups, in itsekiri, it means Gentleman and you just said it means things are good in Edoid.

Edema used by the Itsekiri might be the same used by other Yoruba subgroups. My only issue with Nigerians is that they believe it's impossible for them to be influenced by minor group.

Example, I was educating some people on this forum about how Okoro was a lost Edoid word and you need to see how I was devoured. The only reason they attacked me was because of Ego, in their mind how dare us majority get influenced by a tiny group. Lol

1 Like

Re: Itsekiri Names And Their Meaning by AreaFada2: 11:33am On Feb 10, 2022
Efewestern:

Almost all Edoid groups make use of that name. I have also met many eastern yoruboid group with the name, but just like Itsekiri, the likes of Ikale and ilaje were also greatly influenced by Bini.

Edema is also an household name in Ijebu. Maybe one group borrowed from the other.

I asked a question about where the name Ogedegbe originated from some time ago and till date, I still couldn't get an appropriate answer. It's a famous name among my Edoid family and also a famous name in western Nigeria.

Then probably, the name Edema has different meaning to the two groups, in itsekiri, it means Gentleman and you just said it means things are good in Edoid.

Edema used by the Itsekiri might be the same used by other Yoruba subgroups. My only issue with Nigerians is that they believe it's impossible for them to be influenced by minor group.

Example, I was educating some people on this forum about how Okoro was a lost Edoid word and you need to see how I was devoured. The only reason they attacked me was because of Ego, in their mind how dare us majority get influenced by a tiny group. Lol

Okoro is not even a lost word. It is very much alive. Okoro means a boy. But most often used to mean Prince. Princes are still called Okoro till today.

When the departed Oba Erediauwa was a student at Government College Ibadan, letters sent to him were addressed to Prince Solomon Akenzua. The white schoolteacher didn't like the title "Prince". The Oyinbo asked him what a prince is called in Edo language. The then prince replied: Okoro. The white man told him to ask his family/friends to address his letters/mails to Okoro. Apparently, the colonialist oyinbo thought that only Oyinbo princes should bear that title. The Oyinbo was ignored of course. grin grin

I didn't make this up. It's in Oba Erediauwa's book titled: I Remain, Sir, Your Obedient Servant.

In any case, I know at least a dozen Edo families whose surname is Okoro.

3 Likes

Re: Itsekiri Names And Their Meaning by Efewestern: 12:07pm On Feb 10, 2022
AreaFada2:

Okoro is not even a lost word. It is very much alive. Okoro means a boy. But most often used to mean Prince. Princes are still called Okoro till today.

When the departed Oba Erediauwa was a student at Government College Ibadan, letter sent to him were addressed to Prince Solomon Akenzua. The white schoolteacher didn't like the title "Prince". The Oyinbo asked him what is prince called in Edo language? The then prince replied: Okoro. The white man told him to ask his family to address his letters/mails to Okoro. Apparently, the oyinbo thought only Oyinbo princes should bear the title. The Oyinbo was ignored of course. grin grin

I didn't make this up. It's in Oba Erediauwa's book titled: I Remain, Sir, Your Obedient Servant.

In any case, I know at least a dozen Edo families whose surname is Okoro.

Lost in the sense that most sub-Edoid groups now substitute Okoro with other words. Example, we now make use of Oshare. Okoro as a word is fast loosing its place in our lexicon.

Even the far end of Eastern Yoruba territory make use of Okoro. If Okoro wasn't of Edo origin, how did Ikale/ilaje and Itsekiri who had no single contact with Igbo got use of the word? Don't want to sound too pro-Edo but some conc Yoruba words such as Ode- Big/mighty , Oba - King, Olori - Head, might be of Edo origin.

As for Edema. My recent findings show that it's of Yoruba origin. What I noticed is that, Itsekiri names are mostly shared with their Ijebu ancestors. I would swear only Itsekiri make use of Alero until I met an Ijebu lady bearing the name.

4 Likes 1 Share

Re: Itsekiri Names And Their Meaning by Olu317(m): 3:01pm On Feb 11, 2022
Efewestern:

Well,let me clearly state here that "ogedengbe" ogede-ngbe/ogede-on-gbe/ogede-gbe as a Yoruba name is derived from Ogede (form of incantation - which aids the bearer) may have other ethnic group people using it with its distinct meaning.

While I will posit here that Edoid had been influence by Yoruba people via interaction that solemnly begun linguistically from the time of Oranmiyan's and group's arrival in Igodomigodo which makes it easier for linguistic interaction which is factored under language ecology;teacher language and learner's language.

More aptly,Yoruba language is encoded in Ifaodu which has shaped these people's worldview linguistically that has been the means of communication for unknown period among the ancient Yoruba even till tomorrow.The Yoruba lfa has religion in it with its intricacies so much as it stand affront any other religion in the world.

Cheers
Re: Itsekiri Names And Their Meaning by lte987: 8:23am On Sep 25, 2022
The name AKPOHWOFADAYEN is Urhobo but not sure what it means in that tongue.

AKPO in urhobo = life / world and OHWO = loosely to provides but nothing for the end part.

i know Urhobo (including Isoko) that The Edo, Itsekiri, Kwale, Ika Igbo and Ijaw language can cross sometimes and I was wondering if this name is known to you or its similar version and what it means please?

thanks.
Re: Itsekiri Names And Their Meaning by AutomaticMotors: 7:15am On Sep 28, 2022
Dartilo:

How does this prove anything

grin
Re: Itsekiri Names And Their Meaning by AutomaticMotors: 7:30am On Sep 28, 2022
Yoruba Jokers on this thread are high on cheap pills grin grin cheesy
Re: Itsekiri Names And Their Meaning by AutomaticMotors: 7:35am On Sep 28, 2022
Efewestern:

Lost in the sense that most sub-Edoid groups now substitute Okoro with other words. Example, we now make use of Oshare. Okoro as a word is fast loosing its place in our lexicon.

Even the far end of Eastern Yoruba territory make use of Okoro. If Okoro wasn't of Edo origin, how did Ikale/ilaje and Itsekiri who had no single contact with Igbo got use of the word? Don't want to sound too pro-Edo but some conc Yoruba words such as Ode- Big/mighty , Oba - King, Olori - Head, might be of Edo origin.

100% Facts!!

1 Like

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (Reply)

The Most Ridiculous Bride Price You Have Ever Heard? / Chidinma Or Chidimma? / Oba Of Lagos Refuses To Shake Ooni Of Ife (video)

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 39
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.