Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,194,239 members, 7,953,908 topics. Date: Friday, 20 September 2024 at 08:40 AM

Speech Therapist In Owerri Needed For My Son - Health (6) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Health / Speech Therapist In Owerri Needed For My Son (21037 Views)

Somto Hospital In Owerri Demolished By Hope Uzodinma (Photos) / Mentally Unstable Lady In Skimpy Outfit Causes A Scene In Owerri. Photos / Any Speech Therapist In The House ? (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Speech Therapist In Owerri Needed For My Son by daniska3yaro(m): 4:03pm On Mar 07, 2018
Dear op,your child will be fine,I had similar issues when I was a child,it took me long time to start talking like a normal child,my parents didn't giveup on me ,I was mock and laugh in my class by my classmates and my teachers, there was a time my younger sister came to my class to fight my teacher (what a sweet girl),I hated school,hated public gathering,wasn't funny then sha.
My parents n siblings didn't giveup on me and actually begun to speak well (I still have issues on pronouncing some words bt I developed a method of speaking fast that someone wouldn't pickup d error in my speech sir have faith in God ,he will be okay ,show him love,work on his self esteem and be his hero,glad to share my life experience with someone.

3 Likes

Re: Speech Therapist In Owerri Needed For My Son by mayowascholar(m): 6:20pm On Mar 07, 2018
Callmemike:

What do u offer please?
aphasia is basically a neurological dysfunction which often times have been corrected.If you have tried medications then,u need someone like me (neurophysiologist).Proper dozing of music therapy, aquatic therapy, regular scheduling of activities, addressing or minimizing environmental factors will be of a great help to your kid.
Re: Speech Therapist In Owerri Needed For My Son by mayowascholar(m): 6:25pm On Mar 07, 2018
aphasia is basically a neurological dysfunction which often times have been corrected.If you have tried medications then,u need someone like me (neurophysiologist).Proper dozing of music therapy, aquatic therapy, regular scheduling of activities, addressing or minimizing environmental factors will be of a great help to your kid.
Re: Speech Therapist In Owerri Needed For My Son by Elektra008(f): 7:12pm On Mar 07, 2018
Try to find out about different forms of non verbal autism
Re: Speech Therapist In Owerri Needed For My Son by phatnpretty(f): 9:48pm On Mar 07, 2018
make sure you enroll him in a school, having other kids around, listening and being involved in kindergarten activities will be of good help.
Re: Speech Therapist In Owerri Needed For My Son by hikmojj(m): 10:50pm On Mar 07, 2018
Callmemike:

My heart reaches out to you. I believe it will be ok soon. Best regards. Will keep u posted if there is any development
Thanks bro.... They will grow old to take care of us... I believed there is hope. Good luck.

1 Like

Re: Speech Therapist In Owerri Needed For My Son by Funkybabee(f): 8:02pm On Mar 08, 2018
Callmemike:

Thank you dear . You are great. And thank you all dear contributors. I am in your debt.

More bless and God will keep and enpower him with his knowledge

1 Like

Re: Speech Therapist In Owerri Needed For My Son by portable1: 2:43am On Mar 09, 2018
I had to subscribe to nairaland because of this discussion... I have a 2years old son who is yet to speak and I was not worried until his Doctor recommended a speech therapist for him. At first I felt It wasn’t necessary because of his age but am happy I followed the doctors advice. I got a speech therapist for him that works with him at home for 20hours a week and I can honestly tell you that he has improved and I just applied to a speech learning school for him too though am not in Nigeria...Please if you can get a speech therapist for your son I will advice you do... Goodluck with your son and I know he will definitely talk soon...

1 Like

Re: Speech Therapist In Owerri Needed For My Son by iguita: 8:00pm On Mar 09, 2018
I can only imagine. I have a niece like that.... And super intelligent too..
enigma2007:

Exactly.. I dodge my daughter now
.. She can talk up a storm..
Re: Speech Therapist In Owerri Needed For My Son by sleekyonyx(f): 5:45am On Mar 11, 2021
shaybebaby:

Still don't fret, I know how hard it is wanting so much for child and doing everything you can.

My son still struggles very much with speech, echolalia, scripting, understanding but he is starting to communicate verbally. I'd put his speech on par with a two and half year old (he's six) , but it's something and I am very grateful.

I'm saying this that progress may not be as instantaneous or as fast as you'd like but it would be made nevertheless.
hello,can I talk to u?
Re: Speech Therapist In Owerri Needed For My Son by allycat: 3:35pm On Mar 11, 2021
Please whatever you do keep looking for a good speach therapist and a paediatric neurologist with expirience in developmental disorders. Brain plasticity starts to warn after age 8 and if the brain centres responsible for speech are not stimulated by that time they take on other functions. Unfortunately there are less than a hundred trained speech therapist in the country. If you have to move to a place like Lagos for a while do it! The sacrifice will be worth it in the long run. Once it is sure that his hearing is ok he should be seen by a paediatric neurologist. Best of Luck! I would have mentioned Abuja but there is only one speech therapist there I am aware of. Lagos is richer in that aspect.
In Lagos you have Prof Leis, Dr Mohammed Salisu, Dr Laraba Naga and Dr Ladapo.

1 Like

Re: Speech Therapist In Owerri Needed For My Son by Visage: 3:33am On Jul 23, 2021
I just came across this post while doing some research on my son's speech delay. He's 3+yrs old. He expresses himself well but some of what he tries to say isn't clear. He gets better as time goes by but his peers talk clearer than him.
But I noticed that putting him in a new school where the pupils are few helped alot than when he was in a crowded school. Reasons being that the latter gives less attention to the child.
I just feel like I need to do more.

So I wanna ask,
How is your son now? And what has helped?
Thanks in anticipation!�
Re: Speech Therapist In Owerri Needed For My Son by Callmemike(m): 11:09am On Jan 11, 2023
portable1:
I had to subscribe to nairaland because of this discussion... I have a 2years old son who is yet to speak and I was not worried until his Doctor recommended a speech therapist for him. At first I felt It wasn’t necessary because of his age but am happy I followed the doctors advice. I got a speech therapist for him that works with him at home for 20hours a week and I can honestly tell you that he has improved and I just applied to a speech learning school for him too though am not in Nigeria...Please if you can get a speech therapist for your son I will advice you do... Goodluck with your son and I know he will definitely talk soon...

Thanks. Getting back to this after so long. Been an eventful journey. He communicates his feelings to us now and its been OK. Not perfect but OK. Issue is that he is not stringing sentences. Just three or four words at most to express himself. Long sentences are rambles hahahjajajaa. Learning to read too. Trying , I'd say

1 Like

Re: Speech Therapist In Owerri Needed For My Son by Callmemike(m): 11:15am On Jan 11, 2023
Visage:
I just came across this post while doing some research on my son's speech delay. He's 3+yrs old. He expresses himself well but some of what he tries to say isn't clear. He gets better as time goes by but his peers talk clearer than him.
But I noticed that putting him in a new school where the pupils are few helped alot than when he was in a crowded school. Reasons being that the latter gives less attention to the child.
I just feel like I need to do more.

So I wanna ask,
How is your son now? And what has helped?
Thanks in anticipation!�

Glad about your son. We gave him individualized attention and changed school for him. Then we shared ideas with groups and especially a friend in Ivory Coast with a similar situation. Right now he talks coherently if it is 3 or 4 words. He can pretty express himself. Though hard to get him sometimes. His best subject are Dictation and Fine Arts. Worst subject is Maths.

His peers sure do talk better than he does. But I am thankful for the progress so far. And hopeful for the future. So don't fret yourself over it. And one thing too: don't compare your son's progress with other kids. You will lose track of the milestones he has reached due to your over expectation.

Best wishes

1 Like

Re: Speech Therapist In Owerri Needed For My Son by Obiamaka0101: 6:18pm On Jan 12, 2023
Visit Regions Rehab .
They have a neurologist and a speech therapist that will attend to you
Location: No 1 Rev Canon Jeremiah Anyanwu close New Owerri opposite EBERE links Portharcourt road by Transtel hostel Owerri

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (Reply)

Recovered Patients Of Severe COVID-19 Infection More Likely To Die Within A Year / Photo Of The Deplorable State Of The UNIPORT Teaching Hospital / Share Your Experience With Natural Skin Care Remedies Here

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 29
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.