Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,158,283 members, 7,836,259 topics. Date: Wednesday, 22 May 2024 at 12:57 AM

Should Nigeria Adopt The Jury System? - Politics (2) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / Should Nigeria Adopt The Jury System? (3864 Views)

Saraki V. CCT: Be The Juror Of The Jury / Should Nigeria Adopt A New Foreign Policy? / Should Nigeria Adopt A Staggered Election Process??? (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Should Nigeria Adopt The Jury System? by romeo(m): 11:09pm On Mar 11, 2007
how do we do the selection of the juries? going to the market place? and what would be the language of the court? we need more time please for the jury system, at least 50 years because of illiteracy and corruption
Re: Should Nigeria Adopt The Jury System? by BlackMamba(m): 6:23pm On Mar 12, 2007
Jury system indeed. That's the least of our problems
Re: Should Nigeria Adopt The Jury System? by VOR(m): 7:41pm On Mar 12, 2007
I might be wrong but I seem to remember reading somewhere that during
Nigeria's colonial past we did operate a jury system in some parts of the
country and in limited circumstances.

Perhaps someone can throw some light on my admittedly vague memory.

But dealing with the current question I think there are both pros and cons.
Currently if someone wants to manipulate the outcome of a case they only
have to deal with one person, i.e the Judge, if a jury was in place it would be
more difficult in that several people would have to be approached to ensure success.
A problem might arise where the jury is made up of people of several ethnic
origins who do not all speak English, would we then have a situation where the proceedings
are interpreted into many languages? The alternative would be to only pick jurors who can
speak English or have court proceedings only in a limite number of languages which would exclude
people unfairly, in my view, from the opportunity to be a juror.
Re: Should Nigeria Adopt The Jury System? by BlackMamba(m): 2:16am On Mar 13, 2007
Do we even have court reporters? Or judges still write proceedings in long hand? There are just too many little things we must fix first in our judicial system before we start advocating for regular folks to decide issues of facts (jury). Let's start by charging people to court within 24hrs of arrest, which I believe is what the law provides.
Re: Should Nigeria Adopt The Jury System? by Cyclone5(m): 9:59am On Mar 13, 2007
The concept of a 'jury of your peers' just doesn't sound workable in Naija.
Re: Should Nigeria Adopt The Jury System? by lizzy(f): 11:10am On Mar 13, 2007
jury in 9ja ke?, gush wiv all d corruptness and all, i would say d jury system will lead to more bribery ( and d rich pple will probably go scot free).
Re: Should Nigeria Adopt The Jury System? by oluite(f): 12:37pm On Mar 13, 2007
I'm all 4 Jury system but i don't think we ar ready for Jury system in Nigeria.
Let's face the problem of poverty,illiteracy and all other problems we are still battling with b4 we talk of jury system.We still have lots of pple who cant read n cant even communicate in English.Lots!If they are selected hw will they go about it?what of d wipespread poverty n corruptn in nigeria? Nigeria isnt ready 4 jury system.
Re: Should Nigeria Adopt The Jury System? by mowapa(m): 2:10am On Mar 14, 2007
Jury service is one of the most important civic duties that anyone can be asked to perform. You do not need any knowledge of the legal system to be a juror. The experiences and knowledge of each person summoned to serve will differ, yet each individual juror will be asked to consider the evidence presented and then decide whether the defendant is guilty or not.

As a juror, you must tell a court official immediately if at any point during the trial you recognize the defendant, a witness, the judge, an advocate or solicitor. Failure to do this could result in an unfair trial. The judge will decide whether you should remain on the jury or not.

Once the trial begins you will be able to take notes, but you are not allowed to take your notes outside the courtroom or jury room. Jurors can only discuss the case when all jury members are present and in private. It is illegal to discuss the case with anyone who is not a member of your jury.

All criminal trials follow similar procedures. A defendant or number of defendants will have been accused of a crime. The prosecution advocate opens the case by explaining the accusations and setting out the facts they will seek to prove during the trial.

Witnesses for the prosecution will be called. They take an oath, or affirm, to tell the truth and are then questioned and cross-examined. Next, witnesses for the defense may be called. If they are, they too will take the oath, or affirm, and be questioned and cross-examined.

The judge may stop things at any time to prevent irrelevant questioning or argument, to protect witnesses and to clarify issues. As a juror, if you need to clarify any point about the evidence, you may ask a question by giving a note to the usher who will pass it to the judge.

When all the evidence has been given to the court, the prosecution and defense advocates may make their closing speeches. They will talk directly to the jury as they argue their cases. The judge will explain the law and summarize the facts of the case. Then he or she will clarify the duties of the jury before they go to the jury room to consider their verdict.
Re: Should Nigeria Adopt The Jury System? by Josh4ever9: 2:17am On Mar 14, 2007
Jury system sounds good, but like a lotta ppl have said, itz not really going to work in Nigeria, not because of illiteracy or ethnic differences and all that.
Even before we get to that, therez one major hurdle that has to be overcome, How do we track ppl to be in a jury? The US has social security databases, but I dont think Nigeria has one, So before we even think of Juries, which I do not even think is the way to go, we would need to create an infrastructure that will allow for ppl to be tracked down.

(1) (2) (Reply)

57 Lgs/ Lcdas: Fg Drags Lagos To Supreme Court - As Ultimatum Expires Today - La / Colo-mentality And Lawyers White Wig! / NDIGBO UNITY THREAD... Ndigbo United We Stand, Divided We Fall

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 33
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.