Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,167,278 members, 7,867,731 topics. Date: Friday, 21 June 2024 at 10:50 PM

Canadian Student Visa Thread Part 14 - Travel (102) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Travel / Canadian Student Visa Thread Part 14 (809442 Views)

Canadian Student Visa Thread Part 22 / Canadian Student Visa Thread Part 21 / Canadian Student Visa Thread Part 17 (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) ... (99) (100) (101) (102) (103) (104) (105) ... (517) (Go Down)

Re: Canadian Student Visa Thread Part 14 by goingforward: 9:13pm On Apr 30, 2018
Ratawu:

Nobody is forcing anybody to believe LICO for SOWP. Go ahead and use the one you know and believe in.
Good luck.

I did a little bit of research and came across this:

http://meurrensonimmigration.com/tag/lico/

This confirms that LICO states ''The Minimum Necessary Income for Sponsorships''

Check it out.

goingforward.
Re: Canadian Student Visa Thread Part 14 by thonie11(m): 9:17pm On Apr 30, 2018
hello guys please can anyone recommend a good and affordable institution for an MBA in canada please and the application procedures p.s ive got a 2:1 bsc in banking and finance thanks in advance
Re: Canadian Student Visa Thread Part 14 by goingforward: 9:19pm On Apr 30, 2018
Hi Nairalanders,

My second time posting this, can someone help with answer this below:

I decided to go the online route.

Please for the online application form for my kids, do I have to choose ''studying'' or choose ''visit.''
My kids will be staying with me.

I noticed that what i chose to study it generates a ''study permit application form.'' My kids are 5 & 6. I am not also sure what to fill in the school name and other details.

My question is do i say they are studying or do I choose ''visit?''

If I choose ''study'' it is asking me questions about their school etc.

Please help. what do i choose and fill?

Can somoene who has filled an online study application for kids advise me, please?

goingforward.
Re: Canadian Student Visa Thread Part 14 by uyplus(m): 9:21pm On Apr 30, 2018
Please I don't understand what the ground of refusals based on family ties means. Can someone explain it to me please? I applied for a study permit on the 29th of April, 2019 and I am really scared reading all this family tie grounds for rejection particularly because, my elder brother is a citizen of Canada, he is married with four children. Can that be a family tie that can cause refusal?
Re: Canadian Student Visa Thread Part 14 by jnyuwa02: 9:24pm On Apr 30, 2018
Omonoba1981:

But I am just 18years , admitted to 18 months certificate course in Sask Poly. and paid 7.5k already

Good retort!! Parent’s wealth can be a tie. Do your parents have a lot of money or assets they can indicate that you stand to inherit? 7.5k paid means nothing to these VOs. Ask for your money back and go for the bsc. ESL conditional admission will not affect your visa, certificate program will affect it because the VOs might consider that you are not serious. BSC is more serious endeavor and puts you in better position to argue that you are serious and want to study in good faith. This will deafeat purpose of visit.
Re: Canadian Student Visa Thread Part 14 by Omonoba1981(f): 10:21pm On Apr 30, 2018
[quote author=Omonoba1981 post=67161048][/quote]

Who can help me explain what my GCMS note says
Re: Canadian Student Visa Thread Part 14 by Omonoba1981(f): 10:23pm On Apr 30, 2018
jnyuwa02:

Good retort!! Parent’s wealth can be a tie. Do your parents have a lot of money or assets they can indicate that you stand to inherit? 7.5k paid means nothing to these VOs. Ask for your money back and go for the bsc. ESL conditional admission will not affect your visa, certificate program will affect it because the VOs might consider that you are not serious. BSC is more serious endeavor and puts you in better position to argue that you are serious and want to study in good faith. This will deafeat purpose of visit.

What about if I write a SOP and indicate a plan to further to Bsc after the certificate course in Telecommunication.
Re: Canadian Student Visa Thread Part 14 by Jimmychuks2018: 10:30pm On Apr 30, 2018
Thank you Austin for the clarification....I have actually reapplied and this time I ensured that the amount i have is a little beat above LICO for a family of 4. Then with alot of home ties.
Good luck to everyone of us.

quote author=Austinpee4 post=67162149]

I really do not know why this 'LICO' thing is becoming a thing of worry.

Like i mentioned in my earlier post, LICO(Low income cut-off) is used for individuals who are working(on a work permit, A PR or a Canadian citizen) and seeking to sponsor a spouse, dependant(s), parent(s) or grand parent(s) to move to Canada. It is NOT applicable to a Study permit or the Spouse open work permit. The reason is simple, the student is NOT sponsoring but adding a spouse as a dependant to his/her study permit application to allow the spouse be in Canada during the duration of the study visa.

If you check the figures required for 'LICO', It is strictly for individuals who have full working rights in Canada. Students do not, its part time and in some cases, some are not even eligible to work both on or off campus depending on their circumstance. Also, those figures of 'LICO' must be earned in Canada.

@Jimmychuks2018, what you saw, written or interpreted on your GCMS file most likely is your income in Nigeria to compel your return after your wife's study duration. The officer weighed your ' income level' and was not satisfied that it is strong enough to compel you to return with your wife after her study and that is why it was raised. You are a dependant on your wife as a PA(student) and either you or her need to only show 4,000CAD for you and additional 3,000CAD for a minor as additional funds. You must also statisfy the officer that you would leave alongside your wife. Your ties(income,family,etc)must be strong enough because you are expected to return to them. This is the requirement of IRCC for a study permit holder(your wife) and an applicant of a SOWP(you).

'LICO' requirements are Strictly for SPONSORSHIP. The sponsor must earn the minimum income in Canada to be able to sponsor. Your wife is NOT sponsoring you but adding you to her study conditions even though the SOWP allows the holder to work without time and employers restrictions.

Regards. [/quote]
Re: Canadian Student Visa Thread Part 14 by Nobody: 10:38pm On Apr 30, 2018

1 Like

Re: Canadian Student Visa Thread Part 14 by jnyuwa02: 10:40pm On Apr 30, 2018
Omonoba1981:

What about if I write a SOP and indicate a plan to further to Bsc after the certificate course in Telecommunication.

What course were you going for before that you were denied 3 different times?
Re: Canadian Student Visa Thread Part 14 by Twallace: 10:46pm On Apr 30, 2018
Omonoba1981:

Why would you do a certificate course before a B.SC? It doesn't make sense because it is not a natural progression. It should be B.SC before certificate course, that is, if you would need to do a certificate course at all.

People that do certificate course after high school are those in skilled labour like plumbers and electricians, I bet you are no plumber. These people won't need B.Sc after their certificate course.

Check if you can take IELTS, takes less time.

My one cent
Re: Canadian Student Visa Thread Part 14 by Frankrobbn1: 10:53pm On Apr 30, 2018
uyplus:
Please I don't understand what the ground of refusals based on family ties means. Can someone explain it to me please? I applied for a study permit on the 29th of April, 2019 and I am really scared reading all this family tie grounds for rejection particularly because, my elder brother is a citizen of Canada, he is married with four children. Can that be a family tie that can cause refusal?
uyplus,

Inorder not to derail the thread. Kindly check the link below:
https://www.nairaland.com/3948393/canadian-student-visa-thread-part/391#63425662
Re: Canadian Student Visa Thread Part 14 by uyplus(m): 11:08pm On Apr 30, 2018
Frankrobbn1:

uyplus,

Inorder not to derail the thread. Kindly check the link below:
https://www.nairaland.com/3948393/canadian-student-visa-thread-part/391#63425662

Thanks
Re: Canadian Student Visa Thread Part 14 by Frankrobbn1: 11:20pm On Apr 30, 2018
Omonoba1981:

Omonoba1981,

I'm sorry to say this, but applications that appears in this manner are very tough to win a TRV APPROVAL in as much no matter what you present to the visa officer as your intent to study will be far-fetched and meaningless to them.

I have been watching closely from the advices given to you by my bosses. But it will interest you to know that going for an ESL program as a pre-requisite course prior your enrollment into your academic program and coming from an English speaking country Nigeria is never easy for such application to scale through the sight of a visa officer. Why do you want to spend so much on ESL program in Canada? Why travel all the way from Nigeria to Canada just to study ESL? Why can't you undertake an IELTS/TOEFL exam and save your self the stress of putting your TRV application at risk?
Also, when going for an ESL program, you have to take into account that your sponsor needs to show funds excessively for both the ESL program, your first year undergraduate tuition and your living expenses which cost a hell lot of money.
The worst part of it all is that you will be issued a study permit based on only the length of the ESL program. Upon successful completion of the ESL you will then reapply for another study permit in Canada that will allow you to continue your undergraduate studies.... Which is another stress!

My advise to you is that, you apply to another university that will waive English proficiency requirement for you, or you sit for an IELTS/TOEFL exam and get this ESL requirement off your neck.
More so, DON'T apply for your visa with an 18 months program in a polytechnic, you will be automatically refused based on PURPOSE OF VISIT. Therefore, your best bet here is going for a direct Bsc undergraduate program since you are within the age bracket for a Bachelors degree Canada.

This is my advise!

All the best!

3 Likes

Re: Canadian Student Visa Thread Part 14 by tiobani: 11:57pm On Apr 30, 2018
Pls house I need your kind response on the following questions as I am new on this thread n have been following various comments made on study visa.
Having been in d pool of express entry for years without positive response probably base on age constraint I decided to go for study visa.

1 m 39years old with bsc accounting, married with 2kids I decided to engage an agent who claimed to have applied to five schools (colleges) for postgraduate diploma on my behalf with d hope of getting at least one admission out of the five schls.

My questions goes thus;
1.How long does it take for an admission letter to b out?
2. Considering my age, I heard it might b difficult for me to get my visa approved n that of my hubby as accompanied spouse, that they only approve younger pple. how true is dis?
3.The agent told me d resumption date for all d schls is September, is it possible for us to get our visa approved before this date?
4. What exactly are the steps to getting visa approved once admission letter is out
Pls I need your kind response to this questions as it has been a major concern to me.
Thank you.
Frankrobbn1:

Omonoba1981,

I'm sorry to say this, but applications that appears in this manner are very tough to win a TRV APPROVAL in as much no matter what you present to the visa officer as your intent to study will be far-fetched and meaningless them.

I have been watching closely from the advices given to you by my bosses. But it will interest you to know that going for an ESL program as a pre-requisite course prior your enrollment into your academic program from an English speaking country Nigeria is never easy for such application to scale through the sight of a visa officer. Why do you want to spend so much on ESL program in Canada? Why travel all the way from Nigeria to Canada just to study ESL? Why can't you undertake an IELTS/TOEFL exam and save your self the stress of putting your application at risk?
Also, when going for an ESL program, you have to take into account that your sponsor needs to show funds excessively for both the ESL program, your first year undergraduate tuition and your living expenses which is hell lot of money.
The worst part of it all is that you will be issue a study permit based on only the length of the ESL program. Upon successful completion of the ESL you will then reapply for another study permit in Canada that will allow you to continue your undergraduate studies.... Which is another stress!

My advise to you is that, you apply to another university that will waive English proficiency requirement for you, or you sit for an IELTS/TOEFL exam and get this ESL requirement off your neck.
More so, DON'T apply for your visa with an 18 months program, you will be refused based on PURPOSE OF VISIT. Therefore, your best bet here is going for a direct undergraduate program since you are within the age bracket for a Bsc in Canada.

This is my advise!

All the best!
Re: Canadian Student Visa Thread Part 14 by Omonoba1981(f): 1:39am On May 01, 2018
Frankrobbn1:

Omonoba1981,

I'm sorry to say this, but applications that appears in this manner are very tough to win a TRV APPROVAL in as much no matter what you present to the visa officer as your intent to study will be far-fetched and meaningless to them.

I have been watching closely from the advices given to you by my bosses. But it will interest you to know that going for an ESL program as a pre-requisite course prior your enrollment into your academic program and coming from an English speaking country Nigeria is never easy for such application to scale through the sight of a visa officer. Why do you want to spend so much on ESL program in Canada? Why travel all the way from Nigeria to Canada just to study ESL? Why can't you undertake an IELTS/TOEFL exam and save your self the stress of putting your TRV application at risk?
Also, when going for an ESL program, you have to take into account that your sponsor needs to show funds excessively for both the ESL program, your first year undergraduate tuition and your living expenses which cost a hell lot of money.
The worst part of it all is that you will be issued a study permit based on only the length of the ESL program. Upon successful completion of the ESL you will then reapply for another study permit in Canada that will allow you to continue your undergraduate studies.... Which is another stress!

More so, DON'T apply for your visa with an 18 months program in a polytechnic, you will be automatically refused based on PURPOSE OF VISIT. Therefore, your best bet here is going for a direct Bsc undergraduate program since you are within the age bracket for a Bachelors degree Canada.

This is my advise!

All the best!

Thanks for the advice. I just book available TOEFL exam for June 16. Didn't get any closer date for Lagos.

I really wanted to make the September session. Is there any school that could accept TOEFL score of 80 with no limitation of band on each session/or that accept a D in GCE English language.
Re: Canadian Student Visa Thread Part 14 by sogima(f): 1:52am On May 01, 2018
ayeopare:

HI chief, my profile is the similar as yours, my resumption date is 2nd of May, when is Ur resumption date?
Sept
Re: Canadian Student Visa Thread Part 14 by jnyuwa02: 6:05am On May 01, 2018
tiobani:
Pls house I need your kind response on the following questions as I am new on this thread n have been following various comments made on study visa.
Having been in d pool of express entry for years without positive response probably base on age constraint I decided to go for study visa.

1 m 39years old with bsc accounting, married with 2kids I decided to engage an agent who claimed to have applied to five schools (colleges) for postgraduate diploma on my behalf with d hope of getting at least one admission out of the five schls.

My questions goes thus;
1.How long does it take for an admission letter to b out?
2. Considering my age, I heard it might b difficult for me to get my visa approved n that of my hubby as accompanied spouse, that they only approve younger pple. how true is dis?
3.The agent told me d resumption date for all d schls is September, is it possible for us to get our visa approved before this date?
4. What exactly are the steps to getting visa approved once admission letter is out
Pls I need your kind response to this questions as it has been a major concern to me.
Thank you.

1. Admission letter can be out at anytime after you apply. Some a few days, some a month, others several months. It all depends on the policy of the school.

2. At 39 age as a Nigerian going for school, it might raise an eyebrow. You might be construed as another Nigerian trying to game the system. But a coherent explanation of your purpose of visit with explanation shown that you are a genuine student who will in good faith study, you can overcome that.

3 This is not true. Some schools accept only for September, others are on rolling admission. Meaning they accept people all year round and don’t have a deadline or specific term that admissions are open only for. They accept for summer, fall, spring and winter. All four terms of the year!

4. The process of getting approved for visa you can learn about by reading here and staying abreast to recent developments as they transpire here. You can learn a lot. Even learn about LICO, a seeming irrelevant talk smiley
Re: Canadian Student Visa Thread Part 14 by Ggetter50: 7:46am On May 01, 2018
Oshey9999:

@Martswoll We seem to have similar profile having studied in Europe and purposely came back to apply in Naija. We both applied for our trv a day or two apart. My CIC profile is currently under eligibility review and background check is in progress as well exactly just like yours. However, mine is a little bit different in that I got a medical request last Wednesday. That was my first update after over 2 months that I submitted my application and it came with medical request. I understand how the waiting could be frustrating and if you don't mind we can connect offline.

Regards,
Hello,

Please, did you finish your Bachelor in Europe with 180ECTS to secure a Masters admission in Canada?

Your response will be appreciated. Thanks!
Re: Canadian Student Visa Thread Part 14 by Frankrobbn1: 8:40am On May 01, 2018
Omonoba1981:

Thanks for the advice. I just book available TOEFL exam for June 16. Didn't get any closer date for Lagos.

I really wanted to make the September session. Is there any school that could accept TOEFL score of 80 with no limitation of band on each session/or that accept a D in GCE English language.
Omonoba1981,

Apply to schools like:
Brandon University Manitoba Canada,
The University of Winnipeg Canada,
The university of Manitoba Canada.

1 Like

Re: Canadian Student Visa Thread Part 14 by Phocusjosh(m): 8:52am On May 01, 2018
Did they send you mail as regards to this update?
sogima:
Please i just notice and update on my application.

stating that my eligibility is been reviewed and also reviewing my medical. i did not do an upfront medical.

kindly find attached the update.

please what those this mean.
Re: Canadian Student Visa Thread Part 14 by chkb: 9:40am On May 01, 2018
Hello house, my uncle wanna b my cosponsor, what document do I need from him. He owns his company but wants to give me just his Personal acct. He is maternal uncle.
Re: Canadian Student Visa Thread Part 14 by Sleemzy13(m): 10:00am On May 01, 2018
Hello House
Pls, i don't know what's happening to my App.. I submit my App on 27th of March and i did the Biometrics d following day 28th.. It's more than a month now and i haven't received any message or instructions for Medicals..
Pls does it always take that long? sad
Re: Canadian Student Visa Thread Part 14 by luvluvluv: 10:21am On May 01, 2018
Hello fam,

Pls pardon me if this question has been asked before.

In order to gain an oversea masters program, I have worked for close to 5yrs just to have enof funds.

Now am set to apply for MSc in Canada but realized I have 2.2 in mechanical engineering. Am considering going for BSc at age 31.

Pls what are my chances? I also read some whr about post graduate diploma. Is this a better option?
Will my age no be a deterrence to my quest?

Pls kindly advise a brother.
Re: Canadian Student Visa Thread Part 14 by mcobex: 10:29am On May 01, 2018
chkb:
Hello house, my uncle wanna b my cosponsor, what document do I need from him. He owns his company but wants to give me just his Personal acct. He is maternal uncle.
1. His company papers, tax clearance, birth certificate, your mom's birth certificate(showing they have same surname), He also needs to show commitment(by paying your tuition fee to the school or pay the said amount into your bank account), a letter stating his reasons for sponsoring you and how much he will be committing.... he also needs to state the number of dependants he has.
Re: Canadian Student Visa Thread Part 14 by Yuyukoko: 10:30am On May 01, 2018
I'll advise you go for a post graduate diploma, considering age and how time flies... You really don't need to do a Bsc except you plan on changing your career path, this may lead to alot of explanation on your SOP.
luvluvluv:
Hello fam,

In order to gain an oversea masters program, I have worked for close to 5yrs just to have enof funds.

Now am set to apply for MSc in Canada but realized I have 2.2 in mechanical engineering. Am considering going for BSc at age 31.

Pls what are my chances? I also read some whr about post graduate diploma. Is this a better option?

Re: Canadian Student Visa Thread Part 14 by mcobex: 10:31am On May 01, 2018
Sleemzy13:
Hello House
Pls, i don't know what's happening to my App.. I submit my App on 27th of March and i did the Biometrics d following day 28th.. It's more than a month now and i haven't received any message or instructions for Medicals..
Pls does it always take that long? sad
No specific time, just keep waiting. But if the app has exceeded the processing time then you have the right to contact them. You app is just little over 4 weeks now, so be patient and pray
Re: Canadian Student Visa Thread Part 14 by ayeopare(m): 10:33am On May 01, 2018
Hello house,

Please I need advice, I am suppose to resume tomorrow and I am yet to receive a response from CIC. My eligibility is under review, medical passed, background check is under review. Please house what's the best thing to do at this point.

1 Like

Re: Canadian Student Visa Thread Part 14 by mcobex: 10:37am On May 01, 2018
luvluvluv:
Hello fam,

Where did you work for those 5 years? is it related to your BSc degree(mechanical)? if yes, then you should apply for masters.
People with 2.2 do get admitted for MSc programmes(with a strong letter of intent and research area)
Your age won't be a problem as long as you have a strong sop, but you stand a better chance going for MSc due to your experience
Re: Canadian Student Visa Thread Part 14 by luvluvluv: 10:39am On May 01, 2018
Yuyukoko:
I'll advise you go for a post graduate diploma, considering age and how time flies... You really don't need to do a Bsc except you plan on changing your career path, this may lead to alot of explanation on your SOP.

Tnx alot. Won't the post graduate diploma also limit my chances since it's a one yr program?
Re: Canadian Student Visa Thread Part 14 by mcobex: 10:41am On May 01, 2018
ayeopare:
Hello house,

Please I need advice, I am suppose to resume tomorrow and I am yet to receive a response from CIC. My eligibility is under review, medical passed, background check is under review. Please house what's the best thing to do at this point.
Has your application exceeded the current processing time? If yes, then contact cic immediately but if it hasn't then you just have to wait to hear from cic when they are ready. But as for your school, contact them NOW and let them know you are still waiting to hear from cic and hear what they will say. Most schools give students 14 days into resumption to resume so your school might do that for you but if they don't then you will have to defer your admission to the next available semester/session for your programme. Best of luck

1 Like

Re: Canadian Student Visa Thread Part 14 by Sleemzy13(m): 10:41am On May 01, 2018
mcobex:
No specific time, just keep waiting. But if the app has exceeded the processing time then you have the right to contact them. You app is just little over 4 weeks now, so be patient and pray

Alright Bro, thanks

(1) (2) (3) ... (99) (100) (101) (102) (103) (104) (105) ... (517)

General U.s.a (student) Visa Enquiries-part 14 / Nigerian Students In The Uk How Do You Survive? / Securing Visa To France, Applying From Nigeria...

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 98
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.