Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,156,494 members, 7,830,493 topics. Date: Thursday, 16 May 2024 at 11:33 PM

Canadian Student Visa Thread Part 14 - Travel (184) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Travel / Canadian Student Visa Thread Part 14 (791133 Views)

Canadian Student Visa Thread Part 22 / Canadian Student Visa Thread Part 21 / Canadian Student Visa Thread Part 17 (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) ... (181) (182) (183) (184) (185) (186) (187) ... (517) (Go Down)

Re: Canadian Student Visa Thread Part 14 by Nobody: 7:19pm On Jun 01, 2018
ASK YOURSELF ONE SIMPLE QUESTION; Why do I want this masters in this University in this Country?!

I have been a silent observer of this thread and I’m not happy with a lot of things I’ve been seeing. Lots of people are plying into these “dead” schools thinking they can “finally leave Nigeria” and “finally achieve their dreams”. No boss, think again.

The only reason why people should consider an MSc is simple; to get access to a network from that masters for what ever reason it is that you want. For instance, if you’re working and you want to change your industry, or if you want to change geography (e.g. Nigeria to Canada), then a “good” MSc is perfect for that because you’d get access to a career center and the “access” that’ll give you that platform to achieve the desired career or geographical change you’re looking for.

So at the end of the day, we should ask ourselves, why do I want this masters sef ?
For me personally, I am pursuing a masters because I want more global exposure and I want a change geographically. There are other options I can take to getting what I want obviously. I can decide to stay in Nigeria and finish my professional qualification, then do an MBA and leave. But I want to leave as soon as possible so an MSc is a better option for me.

If someone wants to work in Nigeria and is finding it hard in getting a job, don’t think a masters abroad would solve that problem automatically. You need networks (which you can find for free on LinkedIn), you need trainings (e.g. industry certifications like ICAN or ACCA). You can even decide to apply to Edubridge. Edubridge trains undergraduates and graduates for investment banking and consulting jobs. They bring in a lot of industry leaders and you can use that platform to network to get a job. You can also use the brand “Edubridge” to secure a couple of interviews

If someone comes to tell me that they want to do their masters in Nigeria, CU for instance, for the sake of being more employable, I’d advise them to print their CV and go from company to company, code email and interact with people on LinkedIn, enroll in Edubridge and get reputable industry certifications that'll make them more attractive. Something would surely click, rather than going to spend c. 1 million naira in a school that won’t even give you any “access” to Broad Street or Adeola Odeku, where all the financial companies are, or Ikeja, the hub of technology in Nigeria. Unilag is even better in terms of “access” to Broad Street or Adeola Odeku because they have a very strong alumni presence in that area. (Please note: I am not endorsing an MSc in Unilag)

If you fall among the category of people that want to use an MSc for the *sole* purpose of making your cv more “ghen-ghen”, then you should reconsider it. For instance, If you work in McKinsey, you already have like 95/100 points in terms of CV ghenghen-ness, and there’s no point in leaving your job to do a masters that’ll only increase your CV ghenghen-ness from the 95 it currently is in to a 98 (it can never be greater than 100). Besides, only a few schools can do that, think HBS and Warton.

If you fall among the category of people whose main purpose for a masters is for employability in Nigeria, all you have to do is to find out what your employer is looking for. More often than not, it’s not an international masters they’re looking for. Many of them are looking for experience, many of them are looking for industry certifications. That international masters may not necessarily give you the network to securing a job in your home country. LinkedIn is waay better for that and very much more cost effective.

If you fall among the category of people that want to use an MSc to re-brand themselves. Maybe you didn’t do too well in Undergrad, or you went to a very dead Nigerian University. An MSc is great for that, however, APPLY TO THE BEST SCHOOL YOUR PROFILE CAN AFFORD! Don’t you want the best for yourself?

Last but definitely not the least, If you fall among the category of people that want to use an MSc to run away, say you wan marry and get citizenship, then your case is special. If youre using a “dead school”, good luck with creating a compelling story that you can sell to the VO’s. You think those guys be mumu?

Many people here are looking for shortcuts, you don’t want to write GRE and TOEFL but you want to get admitted with full funding and you also want to secure a mad job upon graduation? Bros how far na? You no hustle but you won chop fufu?. If your input is mediocrity, your output will surely be mediocrity.

“We see better when we stand on the shoulders of those that have gone ahead of us”. This is why we have nairaland but its just turning more and more mediocre with the schools that are being mentioned here daily. Please lets shoot higher shots!

11 Likes 2 Shares

Re: Canadian Student Visa Thread Part 14 by JoseJonn(f): 7:42pm On Jun 01, 2018
Sassandra:
ASK YOURSELF ONE SIMPLE QUESTION; Why do I want this masters in this University in this Country?!

I have been a silent observer of this thread and I’m not happy with a lot of things I’ve been seeing. Lots of people are plying into these “dead” schools thinking they can “finally leave Nigeria” and “finally achieve their dreams”. No boss, think again.

The only reason why people should consider an MSc is simple; to get access to a network from that masters for what ever reason it is that you want. For instance, if you’re working and you want to change your industry, or if you want to change geography (e.g. Nigeria to Canada), then a “good” MSc is perfect for that because you’d get access to a career center and the “access” that’ll give you that platform to achieve the desired career or geographical change you’re looking for.

So at the end of the day, we should ask ourselves, why do I want this masters sef ?
For me personally, I am pursuing a masters because I want more global exposure and I want a change geographically. There are other options I can take to getting what I want obviously. I can decide to stay in Nigeria and finish my professional qualification, then do an MBA and leave. But I want to leave as soon as possible so an MSc is a better option for me.

If someone wants to work in Nigeria and is finding it hard in getting a job, don’t think a masters abroad would solve that problem automatically. You need networks (which you can find for free on LinkedIn), you need trainings (e.g. industry certifications like ICAN or ACCA). You can even decide to apply to Edubridge. Edubridge trains undergraduates and graduates for investment banking and consulting jobs. They bring in a lot of industry leaders and you can use that platform to network to get a job. You can also use the brand “Edubridge” to secure a couple of interviews

If someone comes to tell me that they want to do their masters in Nigeria, CU for instance, for the sake of being more employable, I’d advise them to print their CV and go from company to company, code email and interact with people on LinkedIn, enroll in Edubridge and get reputable industry certifications that'll make them more attractive. Something would surely click, rather than going to spend c. 1 million naira in a school that won’t even give you any “access” to Broad Street or Adeola Odeku, where all the financial companies are, or Ikeja, the hub of technology in Nigeria. Unilag is even better in terms of “access” to Broad Street or Adeola Odeku because they have a very strong alumni presence in that area. (Please note: I am not endorsing an MSc in Unilag)

If you fall among the category of people that want to use an MSc for the *sole* purpose of making your cv more “ghen-ghen”, then you should reconsider it. For instance, If you work in McKinsey, you already have like 95/100 points in terms of CV ghenghen-ness, and there’s no point in leaving your job to do a masters that’ll only increase your CV ghenghen-ness from the 95 it currently is in to a 98 (it can never be greater than 100). Besides, only a few schools can do that, think HBS and Warton.

If you fall among the category of people whose main purpose for a masters is for employability in Nigeria, all you have to do is to find out what your employer is looking for. More often than not, it’s not an international masters they’re looking for. Many of them are looking for experience, many of them are looking for industry certifications. That international masters may not necessarily give you the network to securing a job in your home country. LinkedIn is waay better for that and very much more cost effective.

If you fall among the category of people that want to use an MSc to re-brand themselves. Maybe you didn’t do too well in Undergrad, or you went to a very dead Nigerian University. An MSc is great for that, however, APPLY TO THE BEST SCHOOL YOUR PROFILE CAN AFFORD! Don’t you want the best for yourself?

Last but definitely not the least, If you fall among the category of people that want to use an MSc to run away, say you wan marry and get citizenship, then your case is special. If youre using a “dead school”, good luck with creating a compelling story that you can sell to the VO’s. You think those guys be mumu?

Many people here are looking for shortcuts, you don’t want to write GRE and TOEFL but you want to get admitted with full funding and you also want to secure a mad job upon graduation? Bros how far na? You no hustle but you won chop fufu?. If your input is mediocrity, your output will surely be mediocrity.

“We see better when we stand on the shoulders of those that have gone ahead of us”. This is why we have nairaland but its just turning more and more mediocre with the schools that are being mentioned here daily. Please lets shoot higher shots!

Hello hanti pls what do u mean by dead schools? I'm not clear with that biko. Or better still give a list of them here.

2 Likes

Re: Canadian Student Visa Thread Part 14 by ladyb4sure(f): 8:22pm On Jun 01, 2018
Please I need school that accept 2.46cgpa embarassed embarassed going for PGD in any computer related course without requesting for test of English. Am so eager to start now hoping to join January section.

Please I need help.
Re: Canadian Student Visa Thread Part 14 by chrisraph(m): 8:23pm On Jun 01, 2018

1 Like

Re: Canadian Student Visa Thread Part 14 by hilaryxoxo(f): 8:34pm On Jun 01, 2018

1 Like

Re: Canadian Student Visa Thread Part 14 by Uzee24: 8:40pm On Jun 01, 2018
Martswoll:
My people, my people , I just got my approval email by 11 this morning , Nairaland oooo them know my story !!

Just submitted my passport to VFS , approval came with request !! My application took exactly 3 months on the dot!! Mum knees are really ashy from prayers , the emotional stress is not easy , but keep faith hopefuls!!

Congrats to the man from Cyprus!
Re: Canadian Student Visa Thread Part 14 by Nobody: 8:45pm On Jun 01, 2018
Carleton University: no supervisor required for MEng Mech

LordSir1:

Sorry about the delay. Please I’d like to know the sch you got admitted into and if they require MEng students to get a supervisor before being considered for admission
Re: Canadian Student Visa Thread Part 14 by drhammed: 9:01pm On Jun 01, 2018
hilaryxoxo:
Schools that aren’t sellable or marketable
Schools with poor ranking

Not only would you be wasting your money, it’ll be relatively difficult in convincing immigration officers that you’re leaving Nigeria to study.

Well said.

1 Like 1 Share

Re: Canadian Student Visa Thread Part 14 by ladyb4sure(f): 9:05pm On Jun 01, 2018
ladyb4sure:
Please I need school that accept 2.46cgpa embarassed embarassed going for PGD in any computer related course without requesting for test of English. Am so eager to start now hoping to join January section.

Please I need help.

I need help oooo
Re: Canadian Student Visa Thread Part 14 by LordSir1: 9:26pm On Jun 01, 2018
Lotusboi:
Carleton University: no supervisor required for MEng Mech

Thanks
Re: Canadian Student Visa Thread Part 14 by Dwebb55: 9:39pm On Jun 01, 2018
Hi guys,

Can I submit an online application any day of the week?
Re: Canadian Student Visa Thread Part 14 by mcobex: 9:42pm On Jun 01, 2018
ayoadefantastic:
Hi guys,

I am a newbie here and I have tried to read this thread back quite a bit. I appologize in advance if my question sound redundant. I am applying for a study permit, to begin PhD in September. I submitted my application last thursday and I did biometrics this last Wednesday. I have already submitted the application online before I jammed this thread.
I answered the questionaire provided and it give me a personalised checklist consisting of only 5 supporting documents viz; admission letter, proof of finance, family members, passport photo, and int. Passport. I was waived of medicals becausr i was resident in the US until the end of April.
Having gone through this thread now is why I became concerned that perhaps i could have added more documents. Although on the app. form I was quite detailed about my travel and work details; i have done studies and research in Germany, USA, Philippines and Austria. I never did anything in Nigeria as I left four years ago after nysc. In addition for the proof of finance i submitted the offer my future advisor sent which show that i will get an annual sum of 30K CAD. Please guys what do you think of my application particularly as i didnt show any work tie or submitted an SOP?
First, you have already submitted your application so there is very little you can do about it now. You can still send additional documents to cic after submission(especially if you feel it will increase your chances of securing trv).
Secondly, I have seen applicants submit their apps without SOP and got approval. The main reason for SOP is to explain anything that's nit too clear to the vo but if your case is straight forward I don't think you need SOP.
Finally bro, nobody on this forum or any other forum can tell you if you will get trv or not(it is the vo in charge of your case that can answer that).
Just hope for the best and worry less.
NB: PhD applicant's don't really get same strict scrutiny as undergraduate and Msc/MBA/PGD applicants(from my research).

3 Likes

Re: Canadian Student Visa Thread Part 14 by mcobex: 9:46pm On Jun 01, 2018
ladyb4sure:

I need help oooo
Before the answer to your question arrive, kindly search www.google.com for schools offering your intended programme, then go through the school's sites to see their requirements(it is on their site)
Re: Canadian Student Visa Thread Part 14 by ayoadefantastic: 9:55pm On Jun 01, 2018
Succinct! Thanks a lot. I will keep fingers crossed. I appreciate your clear thoughts on my question.

mcobex:
First, you have already submitted your application so there is very little you can do about it now. You can still send additional documents to cic after submission(especially if you feel it will increase your chances of securing trv).
Secondly, I have seen applicants submit their apps without SOP and got approval. The main reason for SOP is to explain anything that's nit too clear to the vo but if your case is straight forward I don't think you need SOP.
Finally bro, nobody on this forum or any other forum can tell you if you will get trv or not(it is the vo in charge of your case that can answer that).
Just hope for the best and worry less.
NB: PhD applicant's don't really get same strict scrutiny as undergraduate and Msc/MBA/PGD applicants(from my research).
Re: Canadian Student Visa Thread Part 14 by Josh1996: 10:15pm On Jun 01, 2018
Bosses, please answers

Josh1996:
Please from the pictures below is that the tuition for the whole program?
Re: Canadian Student Visa Thread Part 14 by chkb: 10:43pm On Jun 01, 2018
Abeg make nobody just pay in money and immediately print SOA o, cos CIC get access to our acct o
Re: Canadian Student Visa Thread Part 14 by Bleuocean: 11:13pm On Jun 01, 2018
Omoarukheo:
Hi guys,

i just got refused, i am so sad because i thought i put in an airtight application

i applied with admission for masters in management( international accounting and finance) university of windsor, banking and finance 2'1

i paid 6k tuition deposit and attached the receipt i have travel history (UK and USA) with valid visa

i am 21 and i recently finshed nysc, i put in a recomendation from my former employer as i worked at an accounting firm,
i submitted bank statements and treasury bills of about 15million
i put in land documents
i was refused for travel history, ties in canada and family ties, purpose of visit, personal assets and financial status

please where did i go wrong?

Did you write GRE or Gmat to get this admission?
Re: Canadian Student Visa Thread Part 14 by goingforward: 11:28pm On Jun 01, 2018
chkb:
Abeg make nobody just pay in money and immediately print SOA o, cos CIC get access to our acct o

Hi @chkb,

I don't agree with you.

what if it's a business account and a business from a client comes in and you provide details of the transaction i.e receipts and invoices?
what if it's a personal or salary account and you just received a bonus or salary from your company before printing your statement.

My thoughts are that if it's a transactional account, and you can show the source of funds then it would not be a problem.
I stand to be corrected, but these are my thoughts.

goingforward.

1 Like 1 Share

Re: Canadian Student Visa Thread Part 14 by goingforward: 11:34pm On Jun 01, 2018
Omoarukheo:
Hi guys,

i just got refused, i am so sad because i thought i put in an airtight application

i applied with admission for masters in management( international accounting and finance) university of windsor, banking and finance 2'1

i paid 6k tuition deposit and attached the receipt i have travel history (UK and USA) with valid visa

i am 21 and i recently finshed nysc, i put in a recomendation from my former employer as i worked at an accounting firm,
i submitted bank statements and treasury bills of about 15million
i put in land documents
i was refused for travel history, ties in canada and family ties, purpose of visit, personal assets and financial status

please where did i go wrong?

Hi Omoarukheo,

In your SOP, did you explain why Canada instead of the US or Uk where you have valid visas and have visited before?

Goingforward.

2 Likes

Re: Canadian Student Visa Thread Part 14 by sweetmb4real200: 11:59pm On Jun 01, 2018
kylexy61:

Fall is still 3 months away. Go ahead and apply. It is very possible to receive your visa before school resumes.

Wait till a few days before you school resumes, and if a decision still hasn't been made on your application yet, you can defer. It will not affect the outcome of your application. CIC will simply request for your new acceptance letter with new start date and proceed with the processing of your application.

Thank you kylexy61, I appreciate you so much. Please are you saying if I defer , l will need to update cic of the new admission letter the school will be processing for the next alternate term and secondly if I defer like three weeks to resumption due to cic delay or fear of not meeting up for fall and cic gets to approves my application a week to resumption what happens since I have already deferred. Can I still make the trip to Canada and chill till like the next deferred date ? I am actually a newbie
Re: Canadian Student Visa Thread Part 14 by xzile: 12:05am On Jun 02, 2018
Please house, I was refused study permit but i didn't see any any accompanied letter to know the reasons reasons for refusal. Please how do i check this
Re: Canadian Student Visa Thread Part 14 by Prudento: 3:37am On Jun 02, 2018
xzile:
Please house, I was refused study permit but i didn't see any any accompanied letter to know the reasons reasons for refusal. Please how do i check this

How did you get to know about the denial?
Re: Canadian Student Visa Thread Part 14 by dozieihems: 7:34am On Jun 02, 2018
Very interesting topic and advices I have been following this I need suggestions and advice am 35 years old I did civil engineering first degree I have years of experience in brewery industry I want to do my PGD in mechanical engineering because I graduated with 2.64 GPA please advice me will age be of a barrier to me brothers please advice
Re: Canadian Student Visa Thread Part 14 by mcobex: 7:56am On Jun 02, 2018
dozieihems:
Very interesting topic and advices I have been following this I need suggestions and advice am 35 years old I did civil engineering first degree I have years of experience in brewery industry I want to do my PGD in mechanical engineering because I graduated with 2.64 GPA please advice me will age be of a barrier to me brothers please advice
1. Why exactly do you want to switch from civil to mechanical?
2. How many years experience do you have in the mechanical field?
Answer the above questions to give me a clearer picture of your case.
NB: Your age won't be a problem
Re: Canadian Student Visa Thread Part 14 by Asapant: 8:06am On Jun 02, 2018
Miss Lady4sure. Why not look for schools youself, you'll definately see schools that offer computer sci..
ladyb4sure:

I need help oooo
Re: Canadian Student Visa Thread Part 14 by dozieihems: 8:15am On Jun 02, 2018
mcobex:
1. Why exactly do you want to switch from civil to mechanical?
2. How many years experience do you have in the mechanical field?
Answer the above questions to give me a clearer picture of your case.
NB: Your age won't be a problem

I have 13years experience in mechanical field
Re: Canadian Student Visa Thread Part 14 by dozieihems: 8:17am On Jun 02, 2018
dozieihems:

Because of my years in mechanical field that is why I want to switch I hope it will align with my career
Re: Canadian Student Visa Thread Part 14 by xzile: 8:34am On Jun 02, 2018
I just saw in my account that i do not not meet eligibility requirements that i should check below for details. But unfortunately i can't see any message
Prudento:

How did you get to know about the denial?
Re: Canadian Student Visa Thread Part 14 by kylexy61(m): 8:45am On Jun 02, 2018
Dwebb55:
Hi guys,

Can I submit an online application any day of the week?
Yes
Re: Canadian Student Visa Thread Part 14 by kylexy61(m): 9:07am On Jun 02, 2018
Josh1996:
Please from the pictures below is that the tuition for the whole program?
No, that is the tuition for 1 term.

Assuming that;
1. Your program comprises a total of 4 terms.
2. Tuition for Fall 2018 (not shown in your attached picture) is similar to that of the Winter 2019 shown above.
3. Tuition will not increase (or reduce) in the future.

Your tuition for the whole program will be;

$7,976.73 + $7,976.73 + $7,317.78 + $7,317.78 = $30,589.02
Re: Canadian Student Visa Thread Part 14 by MeinKampf: 10:52am On Jun 02, 2018
chkb:
Nobody needs access to your account before you can detect lump sum. It'll reflect on your SOA, so no rocket science in this. Date of that transaction will be on the SOA and it'll show recent deposit. Unless there's something you are trying to say that I'm not getting

2 Likes

Re: Canadian Student Visa Thread Part 14 by mcobex: 11:16am On Jun 02, 2018
dozieihems:

Then I will advise you to apply for MSc instead of PGD, though your undergraduate grade is not great but you can make up with your 13 years experience. Also most schools focus on your final 2 semesters in school(BSc).
Still search for schools that will offer you masters(trust me you will find some) cos with your level of experience I think the vo won't buy the idea of you going for PGD.

1 Like

(1) (2) (3) ... (181) (182) (183) (184) (185) (186) (187) ... (517)

Securing Visa To France, Applying From Nigeria... / General U.s.a (student) Visa Enquiries-part 14 / Canada Spouse Open Work Permit (sowp)timeline

Viewing this topic: 1 guest(s)

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 68
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.